The Best No Quarters Live! am i weird......

donb8

Chicago 1-20-75 is one that doesn't get mentioned much but is one of my favs. Both Vancouver versions have really grown on me this year. If I were making the Top 15 NQ list today, I'd lower the one from 5/24 and bump up the Vancouver shows a little. My top 8 would stay the same though. I really think that every version of NQ in 75 has something to offer, that was just the magic song for them that year. 

Edited by 1975NQ

On 12/18/2021 at 1:19 PM, pujols05 said:

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll have to track those shows down. 

Actually, I steered you wrong. Been listening to 5/17 lately, and sound quality is atrocious. I have a feeling you already knew that tho and were being polite lol. 

12 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

I think Jimmy may have hit the Absinthe a bit too hard before the encores as the rest of the show is damn fine IMO.

Yeah, I only got up to IMTOD but it was already 3am so I'll give it a proper run tonight.

Is there better than Baton Rouge '75? Jones three notes to get Bonzo into possibly the all time greatest groove. Is it possible Jimmy just waited and enjoyed the fuck out of that before joining in?

That groove. And such a great recording.

^^ I would have to give it some serious thought, if I was to just rank the '75 versions, but Baton Rogue definitely is in my top 10, if not the top 5. One that I've really been enjoying the hell out of lately--and one that gets slagged for being overrated--is Earl's Court 24th.

I find it very amusing how Jonesy smiles and turns his head toward towards Jimmy when he finally comes in on the jam--as if Page broke Jonesy's concentration...

:D

^^ Makes sense. I finished listening to it somewhat out of order, but farq, up until and including WLL they are all so exploratory. Almost always paying off. The pace of Sick again showed how they were just going to mix it up. Strong throughout. The funk of the groove in NQ. Ridiculous.

For this sound quality or better - what's the top 3 of '75? Surely this and two others???

2 hours ago, rm2551 said:

^^ Makes sense. I finished listening to it somewhat out of order, but farq, up until and including WLL they are all so exploratory. Almost always paying off. The pace of Sick again showed how they were just going to mix it up. Strong throughout. The funk of the groove in NQ. Ridiculous.

For this sound quality or better - what's the top 3 of '75? Surely this and two others???

Good question. I'd second Paul's suggestion of 2/16 and throw in Detroit 1/31 for best-blend of sound and quality for 75. If sound quality is the major consideration, then I'd go with the 2 Vancouver shows. Best-sounding 75 NQ and both killer versions. 

6 hours ago, 1975NQ said:

^^  My response above is for  best combo of sound quality and performance for 75 NQ. If you're asking what are the top 3 shows of 75, that's a whole 'nother question.

Yeah cheers for that, it is indeed reliant on good sound quality. I rarely listen to rough AUD recordings, my "bootleg ears" are almost non-existent - and there are so many well recorded live shows to indulge in. Especially '75. The SnowBlind Vancouver shows are some of my favourites, but I still find it hard to get the time to consume complete shows unfortunately. I want to go on a bit of a NQ bend before the holidays finish.

On 12/24/2021 at 3:06 PM, 1975NQ said:

Chicago 1-20-75 is one that doesn't get mentioned much but is one of my favs. Both Vancouver versions have really grown on me this year. If I were making the Top 15 NQ list today, I'd lower the one from 5/24 and bump up the Vancouver shows a little. My top 8 would stay the same though. I really think that every version of NQ in 75 has something to offer, that was just the magic song for them that year. 

!/20 you say?   I love that version!!!!!. Jimmy channels the SRTS version. The whole thing is killer  

5 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Yeah cheers for that, it is indeed reliant on good sound quality. I rarely listen to rough AUD recordings, my "bootleg ears" are almost non-existent - and there are so many well recorded live shows to indulge in. Especially '75. The SnowBlind Vancouver shows are some of my favourites, but I still find it hard to get the time to consume complete shows unfortunately. I want to go on a bit of a NQ bend before the holidays finish.

Yeah, 3+ hrs is a commitment lol. Going on a NQ bend is perfect because most versions are around 20 min or so. I loved it when I went on my own bend while I was doing the rankings. You can listen to just one and then move on to something else, or listen to like 3 in a row for immediate comparisons. 

3 hours ago, hummingbird69 said:

!/20 you say?   I love that version!!!!!. Jimmy channels the SRTS version. The whole thing is killer  

Indeed it is! And yeah it does sound very 73-ish, only 13 minutes long. Jimmy's focus is pretty tight, and everyone just comes together on it.

55 minutes ago, 1975NQ said:

Yeah, 3+ hrs is a commitment lol. Going on a NQ bend is perfect because most versions are around 20 min or so. I loved it when I went on my own bend while I was doing the rankings. You can listen to just one and then move on to something else, or listen to like 3 in a row for immediate comparisons. 

Problem is, (like with Baton Rouge) it was so good I just had to check out Trampled, then of course the opening two-punch salvo, Obviously followed by Over the hills and IMTOD just to hear where they took them.... Then look at my watch and sneak into bed at 4am. LOL....

I'll do the Vancouver NQ's tonight.

8 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Problem is, (like with Baton Rouge) it was so good I just had to check out Trampled, then of course the opening two-punch salvo, Obviously followed by Over the hills and IMTOD just to hear where they took them.... Then look at my watch and sneak into bed at 4am. LOL....

I'll do the Vancouver NQ's tonight.

That whole thought process sounds very familiar 😂. Exact same thing has happened to me with more than one show ... 

That June 23 NQ - the way Bonham comes in and the beat he lays down that commands attention. What an absolute BOSS. I also love how after the interlude, Jimmy follows Bonzo back in fairly quickly but lightly and builds.

On 12/20/2021 at 12:18 AM, 1975NQ said:

I've always felt this way about the 27th, nicely put. Pagey is clearly 'feelin hisself' it 's obvious, but his fingers aren't doing what his brain is asking. But the passion and spirit of the thing can be felt in the performance which is probably why it's so hugely popular among hardcore fans.

Its definitely less energetic than the version a couple of nights before which is probably as up tempo jazzy as it ever got but I do think it still works well personally, Page being less dominant does I think leave more room for JPJ to build up the mood which makes it really dramatic which is I'd guess part of why so many people love it, feels part way between the jazzier versions and the more classical ones from EC.

In terms of JPJ personally I think his best ever performance in it is from 23/5 at EC., the solo section really does feel incredibly grand and atmospheric.

59 minutes ago, greenman said:

Its definitely less energetic than the version a couple of nights before which is probably as up tempo jazzy as it ever got but I do think it still works well personally, Page being less dominant does I think leave more room for JPJ to build up the mood which makes it really dramatic which is I'd guess part of why so many people love it, feels part way between the jazzier versions and the more classical ones from EC.

In terms of JPJ personally I think his best ever performance in it is from 23/5 at EC., the solo section really does feel incredibly grand and atmospheric.

Since posting that less than a month ago, this (3/27) version has actually grown on me a bit. I don't mind less energy in the guitar solo as I think it suits the vibe of the song. Like the 3/10 San Diego version, which has that laid back solo and is one of my favorites.

Good point on JPJ's role. I can get biased with my own preferences, as it's my fav song from the 75 tour and Jimmy's solo is the main reason for that,, along with how they were synching as a band during the number.

I should give 5/23 another listen, that one has never really clicked with me. I love the JPJ solo from St, Louis the most, mainly because he's driving this incredible groove that is upbeat and the band is just locked in. But I also love Jonesey's solo at 3/20 Vancouver. It sounds so dream-like, like something out of a movie score almost. Like he'd been listening to Debussy earlier in the day or something lol. 

• 3 weeks later...