Jimmy Page @ Cheltenham Literature Festival

chillumpuffer

Just a heads up for mainly UK folks

Jimmy Page is booked to appear at The Cheltenham Literature Festival on 13th October. 8.30 pm, telling the inside story of his career. Bookings open on 3rd September for members and 10th September for general sale. Personally it will difficult for me to go as it's a bit far. I assume he will have more information on the forthcoming documentary.

Here's the link: https://www.cheltenhamfestivals.com/literature/whats-on/2021/l167-jimmy-page/

From his early days as a session musician, through his years on the world stage with Led Zeppelin, to his solo work and collaborations, Jimmy Page has lived a spectacular life in music. Throughout it all, he has amassed an archive of guitars, costumes and memorabilia now being published in Jimmy Page: The Anthology. Join Jimmy in a rare interview as he opens his archives, telling the inside story of his phenomenal career.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Today: Jimmy Page at Cheltenham Literature Festival to Discuss Jimmy Page: The Anthology

13 Oct 2021

jp1.jpg

Jimmy Page will be taking the stage at The Times and The Sunday Times Cheltenham Literature Festival this evening (Wednesday 13 October) to discuss his acclaimed, career-spanning book, Jimmy Page: The Anthology

The rare interview will be chaired by Times journalist Will Hodgkinson and located at The Times and The Sunday Times Forum at Montpellier Gardens in the heart of Cheltenham. 

It will be held at 5:45pm and cover his spectacular life in music, from his colossal body of session work in the Sixties, through to the Yardbirds, Led Zeppelin and beyond. Page will also discuss the contents of the book, including the impressive archive of guitars, costumes and memorabilia that he has amassed throughout his career, all of which was published for the first time in the anthology. 

A limited number of tickets are still available and can be booked here through the festival's website for £14 plus a booking fee. 

Speaking about the book last year, Page said: "I wanted to include items from my personal archive that have played a part in my overall story, to give the detail behind the detail." 

The Anthology contains a new text of over 70,000 words, in which Jimmy Page guides the reader through hundreds of rare items, many of which are previously unseen, and others of mythic status, such as the Gibson double neck guitar, his dragon-emblazoned suit, his white embroidered poppy suit, and the outfit worn in the concert film The Song Remains the Same. Also included are handwritten diaries, correspondence, rare vinyl pressings, previously unpublished photographs and much more. Page personally selected each piece shown in the book to create the most comprehensive and revealing account of his life to date. 

To purchase a ticket to the interview, click here, or to purchase Jimmy Page: The Anthology, click here.

6 hours ago, SPP said:

Did anyone film this interview????  Hope so!!

It's clearly an older crowd. I doubt many would make the effort to record it all but perhaps some clips. Obviously there is the live feed for the video screen, perhaps that will be released at some point although I very much doubt it.

I attended the literary festival where Jimmy was one of the main interviewees this year. He was talking about his book Jimmy Page the Anthology and some of the events and history behind some of the photos in the book. Hewas in good form and humour. There was no music during the interview session. I managed to get a few photos which I am sharing here. 

20211013_174926.jpg

20211013_175107.jpg

20211013_175433.jpg

20211013_175950.jpg

20211013_180852.jpg

20211013_181609.jpg

20211013_182618.jpg

20211013_183122.jpg

Edited by ledded1

Great pics. Was video permitted?

---------------

https://www.nme.com/news/music/jimmy-page-led-zeppelin-reunion-phil-collins-drums-mistake-live-aid-3070870

Jimmy Page says it was a mistake to hire Phil Collins for Led Zeppelin’s Live Aid reunion

"We were in real trouble"
By
Tom Skinner 14th October 2021

Jimmy Page has said that it was a mistake to enlist Phil Collins to fill in on drums for Led Zeppelin at Live Aid.

Collins and drummer Paul Martinez both played live with the reunited Led Zep – Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones – at the legendary 1985 concert, as did bassist Tony Thompson.

Speaking in a new interview with The Times and The Sunday Times, Page admitted it was “not very clever” to reform the band, who had split in 1980 following the death of their drummer John Bonham.

“The drummer couldn’t get the beginning of ‘Rock And Roll’,” Page explained about Live Aid. “So we were in real trouble with that.”

He also told The Times that Led Zeppelin had less than two hours to rehearse for their three-song set, which included the classics ‘Whole Lotta Love’ and ‘Stairway To Heaven’.

Led Zeppelin went on to reunite again in 2007 for a performance at The O2 in London. Recalling how nervous he felt ahead of the concert, Page told The Times: “A lot more could go wrong. I didn’t want to be the one making the mistake.”

Phil Collins reflected on the disastrous Live Aid show during an interview last year, explaining: “If I could have walked off, I would have done, ’cause I wasn’t needed and I felt like a spare part.”

The majority of the Genesis musician’s preparation for the concert came from listening to Led Zeppelin’s tracks on the flight to Philadelphia. “I didn’t rehearse when I got there, but I listened to ‘Stairway To Heaven’ on Concorde,” he said. “I arrived and went to the caravans, and Robert said: ‘Jimmy Page is belligerent’.”

7 hours ago, zeplz71 said:

---------------

https://www.nme.com/news/music/jimmy-page-led-zeppelin-reunion-phil-collins-drums-mistake-live-aid-3070870

Jimmy Page says it was a mistake to hire Phil Collins for Led Zeppelin’s Live Aid reunion

By

Jimmy Page has said that it was a mistake to enlist Phil Collins to fill in on drums for Led Zeppelin at Live Aid.

Collins and drummer Paul Martinez both played live with the reunited Led Zep – Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones – at the legendary 1985 concert, as did bassist Tony Thompson.

Speaking in a new interview with The Times and The Sunday Times, Page admitted it was “not very clever” to reform the band, who had split in 1980 following the death of their drummer John Bonham.

“The drummer couldn’t get the beginning of ‘Rock And Roll’,” Page explained about Live Aid. “So we were in real trouble with that.”

He also told The Times that Led Zeppelin had less than two hours to rehearse for their three-song set, which included the classics ‘Whole Lotta Love’ and ‘Stairway To Heaven’.

Led Zeppelin went on to reunite again in 2007 for a performance at The O2 in London. Recalling how nervous he felt ahead of the concert, Page told The Times: “A lot more could go wrong. I didn’t want to be the one making the mistake.”

Phil Collins reflected on the disastrous Live Aid show during an interview last year, explaining: “If I could have walked off, I would have done, ’cause I wasn’t needed and I felt like a spare part.”

The majority of the Genesis musician’s preparation for the concert came from listening to Led Zeppelin’s tracks on the flight to Philadelphia. “I didn’t rehearse when I got there, but I listened to ‘Stairway To Heaven’ on Concorde,” he said. “I arrived and went to the caravans, and Robert said: ‘Jimmy Page is belligerent’.”

NME (Tom Skinner) needs to update this article, as we can clearly see all kinds of errors. Firsthand, Everyone knows Martinez was the bassist brought in for Live Aid and Tony Thompson (R.I.P.) was the drummer. Don’t get me started with other incorrect articles from recent publications.

R😎

6 hours ago, reids said:

NME (Tom Skinner) needs to update this article, as we can clearly see all kinds of errors. Firsthand, Everyone knows Martinez was the bassist brought in for Live Aid and Tony Thompson (R.I.P.) was the drummer. Don’t get me started with other incorrect articles from recent publications.

R😎

He's undoubtedly another one of these Millennial journalists who thinks Bon Jovi is classic rock. 

1 hour ago, chillumpuffer said:

So Collins wasn't on the stage or played at all? I could have sworn  that was Phil Collins on the stage or was it the drugs we were taking? 

He was onstage and did perform as a second drummer.

22 hours ago, zeplz71 said:

---------------

By

I didn't see anyone vidoeing but I was on the 3rd row so most of the audience was behind me. Someone may have done some.