Random Thoughts. The Return.

Strider

When I was a younger bloke in the late '80's, there were local "Milk Bar's" in practically every suburb. For those not from Oz, a Milk Bar was a corner take away shop that usually had....

Hamburgers (traditional take away style - big buns that were toasted, and big, thick meat patties)
Charcoal Chicken
Fat greasy chips only cooked when ordered, and rolled in butcher's paper which made it so easy to manage.
Chiko Rolls - nothing quite like them.
lollies/crisps/chocolates/newspapers.

I miss them days. A hamburger with the lot (cheese, egg, beetroot, bacon, pineapple) and a chips, with a choc-malt milk shake. You'd be in a food coma after but it was unbeatable value and absolute quality.

Gawd I miss those corner stores. You just cannot get hamburgers and chips like that anymore. And they used to be, well, cheap as chips!

32 minutes ago, rm2551 said:

When I was a younger bloke in the late '80's, there were local "Milk Bar's" in practically every suburb. For those not from Oz, a Milk Bar was a corner take away shop that usually had....

Hamburgers (traditional take away style - big buns that were toasted, and big, thick meat patties)
Charcoal Chicken
Fat greasy chips only cooked when ordered, and rolled in butcher's paper which made it so easy to manage.

I miss them days. A hamburger with the lot (cheese, egg, beetroot, bacon, pineapple) and a chips, with a choc-malt milk shake. You'd be in a food coma after but it was unbeatable value and absolute quality.

Gawd I miss those corner stores. You just cannot get hamburgers and chips like that anymore. And they used to be, well, cheap as chips!

Yeah, me too!

Maccas etc are just crap.

I'm surprised the cafe's haven't resurfaced,  wish they would.

In my little town there were 3. One had a jukebox and pinnies, we loved it.

6 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Charcoal Chicken

We used to get H. Salt Esquire fish & chips on Haight Street in SF. They'd put the food on a piece of newspaper in a basket. Somehow no one questioned if eating print ink was bad or not. We also used to get HUGE softy cones for 25 cents. Now, a small one at McDonald's is $1.50. Don't get me started on Hunt's donuts. This is what it came to:

While the Mission would change around it over the years, Hunt’s remained thoroughly and irreducibly criminal, a fluorescent-lit utopia for lowlifes, a north star guiding the way home for the regulars that answered the pull of the epicenter of crime and came there nightly to make up the 25th hour. Hunt’s was where prostitutes from Capp Street ate donuts and complained about their pimps, loudly, into cell phones, while passersby tapped on the floor-to-ceiling windows, trying to sell you crescent wrenches, jackets, fistfuls of stolen gold necklaces. Hunt’s was where you could see gang members and graffiti writers taking donut breaks, side by side. It was where guys just out of prison mumbled(?) with men who had fought and killed in the revolutions in El Salvador and Nicaragua.

Edited by redrum

Fourth Amendment
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

The feds' new slogan: Well, we're just all broken up about that man's rights. 

LOUIS FREEH-2.jpg

Uhhhhhhh.......

UC Berkeley Off-Campus Student Housing Bans White People To ‘Avoid White Violence & Presence’

The co-op, which has been titled “Person of Color Theme House,” has five stories and offers 30 rooms for up to 56 selected University of California, Berkeley students.

It was set up by the Berkeley Student Cooperative to bring affordable “housing to low-income, first generation, immigrant and marginalized students of color” in the Bay Area.

In order to enter the building, a student must declare their race when signing in, and they must announce when they are bringing white guests into the building — which is looked down upon.

Now, the only reason things are this way is so that people of color can “avoid white violence and presence.”

“Queer, Black, and Indigenous members should not have to avoid common spaces because of homophobic or racist parents/family members.”

https://hollywoodunlocked.com/uc-berkeley-off-campus-student-housing-bans-white-people-to-avoid-white-violence-presence/

BERKELEY FARMS.jpg

Yes, and imagine the outrage if a house was established the other way around? White violence, what a crock! Here is data from last year:

https://reason.com/volokh/2021/04/24/race-and-violent-crime/

Blacks, which here means non-Hispanic blacks, were 12.5% of the U.S. population, and non-Hispanic whites were 60.4%. It thus appears from this data that the black per capita violent crime rate is roughly 2.3 to 2.8 times the rate for the country as a whole, while the white per capita violent crime rate is roughly 0.7 to 0.9 times the rate for the country as a whole.

1 hour ago, redrum said:

Uhhhhhhh.......

UC Berkeley Off-Campus Student Housing Bans White People To ‘Avoid White Violence & Presence’

The co-op, which has been titled “Person of Color Theme House,” has five stories and offers 30 rooms for up to 56 selected University of California, Berkeley students.

It was set up by the Berkeley Student Cooperative to bring affordable “housing to low-income, first generation, immigrant and marginalized students of color” in the Bay Area.

In order to enter the building, a student must declare their race when signing in, and they must announce when they are bringing white guests into the building — which is looked down upon.

Now, the only reason things are this way is so that people of color can “avoid white violence and presence.”

“Queer, Black, and Indigenous members should not have to avoid common spaces because of homophobic or racist parents/family members.”

https://hollywoodunlocked.com/uc-berkeley-off-campus-student-housing-bans-white-people-to-avoid-white-violence-presence/

BERKELEY FARMS.jpg

Obvious racism is obvious.  This isn't to keep whites out of the faces of blacks it's to keep blacks out of the faces of whites while telling them it's the opposite.

Wasn't segregation the point of jim crow laws?  keep blacks with blacks and whites with whites??

Well, now they've done it but in the name of equality.

22 hours ago, hummingbird69 said:

Obvious racism is obvious.  This isn't to keep whites out of the faces of blacks it's to keep blacks out of the faces of whites while telling them it's the opposite.

Wasn't segregation the point of jim crow laws?  keep blacks with blacks and whites with whites??

Well, now they've done it but in the name of equality.

It's Berkeley. 😄

I am still having a hard time getting back to my pre-pandemic concert groove. A lot of it is down to how many venues have stopped printing actual calendars and concert schedules in the past couple of years. I used to arm myself with all the monthly schedules on my trips to Amoeba and other places and my refrigerator would be covered from top to bottom. Every day I could just check my fridge and see what shows were on the horizon and plan accordingly.

Now, you have to check each venue's website and that is just not in my DNA. I don't like going online and try to limit my visits there. I like having a concert calendar I can hold in my hand and stick on my wall or fridge. Therefore, I find I am missing out on some shows. Last week the Psychedelic Furs, Father John Misty, My Morning Jacket, Tedeschi-Trucks Band, and Robert Plant & Alison Krauss were all playing concerts in Los Angeles. Before covid, I would have known and gone to most, if not all, of those concerts. This year, I only knew about the Plant/Krauss and Tedeschi-Trucks Band shows and only went to the Plant/Krauss.

Edited by Strider

So it turns out my long-gone great-grandmother got a little loving on the side. A long held family secret only recently revealed to me. 

Which got me thinking about the family tree, etc. I am thinking about doing one of those 23 and me DNA tests and I was wondering if anyone here has done one of those tests? How reliable/accurate are they?

13 hours ago, Strider said:

So it turns out my long-gone great-grandmother got a little loving on the side. A long held family secret only recently revealed to me. 

Which got me thinking about the family tree, etc. I am thinking about doing one of those 23 and me DNA tests and I was wondering if anyone here has done one of those tests? How reliable/accurate are they?

Thought about it, but haven't yet. My Mother's side goes back to the 1600 Huguenots. Don't know much about my Dad. 

Don't know if any of you know about the 'Clip' (scissor icon) feature on You Tube. It lets you isolate and repeat a section of a song if you're trying to learn it and you run into a difficult part. I'm working on 'Gnossienne 1' (guitar TAB) by Satie which has a lot of hammer ons and pull offs. The song was featured throughout one 'Poirot' episode and was composed for the piano. The tutorial begins at about 4:20. Segovia didn't care for the piano and said that many composers of piano music always felt that the songs sounded so much better on the guitar. 👍

4 hours ago, redrum said:

Back in FB jail. Those dirty bastards. All I did was cuss out some dick who sent me a link to a virus. Maybe they should worry more about that and scammers than a few cuss words. Fuck you, Dickerberg. 

FB is appalling. So many ads linking to scam bullshit. The ONLY reason I am on there is humour - and JP Equinox often posts great pics I have not seen before. I seldom post and don't obsess at all. I still find it impossible to understand how their business model works. Fuck clicking ANY ads on there. Bunch of cunts....

Speaking of FB

BREAKING: Mark Zuckerberg tells Joe Rogan that Facebook algorithmically censored the Hunter Biden laptop story for 7 days based on a general request from the FBI to restrict election misinformation.

https://twitter.com/HawleyMO/status/1562962244660432896?s=20&t=OkxlSn1MOKW0Tg9ubNzCuw

P.S. I don't want the responsibility of your school loans. You went to college, figure it out.

Edited by shnflacwav

1 hour ago, rm2551 said:

FB is appalling. So many ads linking to scam bullshit. The ONLY reason I am on there is humour - and JP Equinox often posts great pics I have not seen before. I seldom post and don't obsess at all. I still find it impossible to understand how their business model works. Fuck clicking ANY ads on there. Bunch of cunts....

I'm waiting for a reply from them about what a bunch of anal pricks they are. Won't hold my breath. 

9 minutes ago, shnflacwav said:

Speaking of FB

BREAKING: Mark Zuckerberg tells Joe Rogan that Facebook algorithmically censored the Hunter Biden laptop story for 7 days based on a general request from the FBI to restrict election misinformation.

https://twitter.com/HawleyMO/status/1562962244660432896?s=20&t=OkxlSn1MOKW0Tg9ubNzCuw

P.S. I don't want the responsibility of your school loans. You went to college, figure it out.

Dick Sucksaberg. 

😄

BIDENOCCHIO.jpg

7 hours ago, cryingbluerain said:

So Commiefornia, the state with the least reliable electrical power system in the nation wants to ban all new gas powered cars by 2035.  Good luck with that. Couldn't make this crap up if I tried.

All except those in power and the Hollywood elites. 

Walk, peasant. 

The left says buy an electric powered car if you don't want to pay high gas prices.

If I have a gas powered car thats paid off and I have to fill it twice a month at a hundred bucks a pop how am I going to save money by buying an electric car??

The left says you won't have to buy gas!

Ok, I don't need gas but my electric bill will go up and I have taken on a new car payment that's going to be at least 700 bucks a month for a 60 thousand dollar car over a 7 year loan. Not to mention excise tax and a new insurance coverage. So....

Where are the savings!!!!!