Vancouver 1971 - audio samples

spindle

On 7/27/2022 at 3:53 PM, ledzepfilm said:

It won’t happen. The taper has sold the tapes to a private collector, so unless they’re connected to Japan…

That's it? So after carrot dangling his tape on this forum, this is what the taper does? He probably planned this all along. Wouldn't be surprised if he's laughing to himself about it too. That would be sick.

On 7/27/2022 at 9:20 PM, tmtomh said:

Personally I'm just glad to have access to the complete Gallows Pole, in such clear sound and such an interesting performance.

Would love to hear the whole recording of course, but if you asked me which two songs I'd most want to have, it would be Gallows Pole #1 and Weekend #2. Grateful to have one of the two.

This right here, the voice of calm and reason. You raised the bar on this thread and for that I thank you. 

On 7/29/2022 at 3:37 PM, Ian Smith said:

This right here, the voice of calm and reason. You raised the bar on this thread and for that I thank you. 

OK OK OK. Fair dues. I'll stop whining like the proverbial! 😉...

...but before I do (slightly embarrassed emoji, which I can't find in the menu) the one thing I'll say is this: as I mentioned above, if STH is anything to go by, this show might've just been one of Plant's best ever performances. I've scoured through all the tapes from 1971 and 1972 and I'm pretty sure it's the only occasion he hits (or even attempts) the high note on the line "Who shines white light...", thus making it the live vocal performance which is closest to the studio version. That's pretty cool.

Thank you so much for putting that up here, Zep Head.

I wonder why the ending of STH is in such different quality to the rest of it all. Oh well, at least we've got it! No more whinging.

The ending of Stairway sample predates anything from spindle's recording, and is a verified fake. Close comparison reveals that the instrumentals were actually taken from the 9/29/71 Osaka show. Not sure where the vocals are from but they are certainly overlaid to try and exaggerate authenticity.

Otherwise, the other samples are legit.

Edited by ledzepfilm

• 4 months later...
On 7/27/2022 at 1:53 PM, ledzepfilm said:

It won’t happen. The taper has sold the tapes to a private collector, so unless they’re connected to Japan…

Well it appears that is not the case, as Empress Valley announced an "almost" complete Vancouver 1971 show coming out soon w/ pic of the box set . . . must be connected to Japan! Great news