Object

Worth flagging whenever it comes to Led Zeppelin auctions from gottahaverockandroll:

They have repeatedly listed for sale drum sticks claimed by Jeff Ocheltree to have belonged to John Bonham, despite John's son Jason Bonham publicly denying this in an Instagram post. Previous thread on this subject here: 

Looks suspiciously like a repro to me....

https://gotledblog.wordpress.com/the-presence-object/

From the article:

1) Originals: flat black paint. Repros: glossy or semi-gloss black paint.

That paint looks glossy to me.  There are visible reflections in it. 

2) Originals: very smooth sides and base; little or no imperfections. Repros: bulges and pits were prevalent, though not all that noticeable from a fair distance away; various flaws abound…brush marks from the paint, difficult to read etchings on the base, bulging top edge.

There are visible bulges, imperfections and brush marks in the photo, and the top edge is bulging too.

3) Originals: underneath the thin coat of paint, a flesh color appears IF a scratch or chip is not very deep; if deep then white shows through. Repros: only a white color shows through if scratched or chipped.

Bit hard to tell from the photo, but the various chips look quite shallow, and white

I certainly wouldn't bid for it. 

On 11/24/2022 at 2:34 AM, pattytheleadballoon said:

check it out guys, I've always wanted a real one!!!!

8 hours ago, pattytheleadballoon said:

my rocker aunt left me an original 1976 Object, and it can be yours. Be the best LZ fan on the block by far, you show off

Seems like the original poster can't decide if they want to buy it or are selling it. 

Sounds dodgy as f**k to me. 😕

Edited by woz70

There is something suspicious about the online posts promoting this Gottahaverockandroll auction.

Firstly, the user pattytheleadballon made two separate threads on this forum promoting a specific listing. Firstly, they claimed "I've always wanted a real one" then claimed they already own the item being sold.

Separately, a Reddit user u/Kind_Profile_6662 has also been promoting the auction on Reddit, again with the claim their aunt left The Object being auctioned to them: https://www.reddit.com/user/Kind_Profile_6662/

And another Reddit user u/Eight3er has also been promoting the same auction and same lot on Reddit, posting the same links in the same Led Zeppelin-related subreddits: https://www.reddit.com/user/Eight3er

To me, this appears to be the auction house attempting to promote auction listings to Led Zeppelin fan communities.

Just now, Cookie0024 said:

To me, this appears to be the auction house attempting to promote auction listings to Led Zeppelin fan communities.

.... with a certificate of authenticity for an item that is an obvious fake. 

Both Reddit users used the exact phrase "original 1976 Object" in their posts with the same capitalisation of "Object". They also both linked to the auction's Led Zeppelin category, not the item link itself. To me, this suggests they're the same person promoting the listing from different Reddit accounts.

4 hours ago, Cookie0024 said:

There is something suspicious about the online posts promoting this Gottahaverockandroll auction.

Firstly, the user pattytheleadballon made two separate threads on this forum promoting a specific listing. Firstly, they claimed "I've always wanted a real one" then claimed they already own the item being sold.

Separately, a Reddit user u/Kind_Profile_6662 has also been promoting the auction on Reddit, again with the claim their aunt left The Object being auctioned to them: https://www.reddit.com/user/Kind_Profile_6662/

And another Reddit user u/Eight3er has also been promoting the same auction and same lot on Reddit, posting the same links in the same Led Zeppelin-related subreddits: https://www.reddit.com/user/Eight3er

Thanks for noting the double threads. I thought I was seeing double.

As soon as I saw the photo, it seemed dodgy as fuck to me. I have seen an original (unfortunately was not able to buy it) and that blob in the photo above looks far from it.

The poster auction is from 3 years ago based on the date shown in the screenshot.  The issue with GottaHave... based off of previous auctions is that they auction a mix of legitimate memorabilia mixed with other items that are either suspicious or not real, and need to research the items better.  For reference, back in 2017 Rick Barrett was contacted to verify whether or not an Object was real.  Unfortunately, the piece was destroyed in shipping.  It turned about to be real.  This is number 629.  I saved the images.  It sold on Ebay for almost $400.00 if I recall correctly.  I'd have to check.  This is what the promo piece looks like without an x-ray 😁 or scratch test.

Robert

www.anextranickel.com

Screenshot_20221128-052756~2.png

I think its fake

https://gotledblog.wordpress.com/the-presence-object/

presence.jpg?w=825&h=510&crop=1

The Presence “Object”

by Rick Barrett (http://stores.ebay.com/Ricks-Cool-Collectibles)

Most collectors have questions about the famous statue that’s on the cover of Led Zeppelin’s 1976 Presence album, which is called “The Object”. This feature will give some background on it and hopefully answer some questions that commonly arise.

First of all, after graphic design company Hipgnosis designed the Presence album cover, in which The Object was painted into the various scenes, Led Zeppelin had real Objects copyrighted and produced. That’s what was used to photograph the album’s black and white inner sleeves. Shortly thereafter, Alva Museum Graphics in New York was contracted to produce 1000 individually-numbered 12-inch tall black Objects for Swan Song to use in their promotion of the record. Each side of the base of each Object was imprinted with one of the following four pieces of information:

1) LED ZEPPELIN (In ¼-inch tall lettering)
2) “THE OBJECT” © 1976 SWAN SONG INC (In VERY small lettering)
3) PRESENCE (In ¼-inch tall lettering)
4) ____/1000 (The individual issue number was hand-etched here)

The originals came in brown cardboard boxes taped shut with brown paper filament tape. On the side of each box was a flat white sticker with “The Object” and “Copyright 1976 Swan Song” written in red. Some boxes have the number of the Object inside written in black magic marker on the top of the box. These brown cardboard boxes were nothing fancy; without the sticker it was just a plain brown cardboard box. When opened, one could see that The Object was packed in a brownish padded blanket of sorts; like those padded mailers filled with that shredded newspaper stuff (originals were NOT packaged with bubble wrap, and the cardboard boxes did NOT originally come shrink-wrapped). This is the only way and the only time The Object was ever released by Swan Song/Atlantic Records.

Object1

In the late 1970’s to early 1980’s, somewhere in the vicinity of 500 reproductions were made. There were many variations of the bogus Objects and they were all from the same source. None of the repros were numbered higher than 650 if memory serves me correctly, though there was one numbered 666! There was also some overlap of some numbers on the fakes, but it’s doubtful there are any more than three of the same number on any of the repros. The numbering of these was done by hand, but they were not done chronologically; it seemed like whatever suited the bootleggers at the time was the norm. Most of the first run of repros had some cheap green felt on the bottom of The Object; subsequent ones were just plain black-bottomed.

The differences between the originals and the 1980’s reproductions are as follows:

1) Originals: flat black paint. Repros: glossy or semi-gloss black paint.

2) Originals: very smooth sides and base; little or no imperfections. Repros: bulges and pits were prevalent, though not all that noticeable from a fair distance away; various flaws abound…brush marks from the paint, difficult to read etchings on the base, bulging top edge.

3) Originals: underneath the thin coat of paint, a flesh color appears IF a scratch or chip is not very deep; if deep then white shows through. Repros: only a white color shows through if scratched or chipped.

A REAL Object is on the left in all of these photos; a reproduction Object from the 1980’s is on the right:

Object2
Object3
Object5
Object4

Both originals and repros were made of a white gypsum cement called Hydrocal, were of the same height and weighed the same. The originals were made of a higher quality material, which is one reason why there are less flaws than the hastily-produced fakes.

It’s fairly safe to say that once you’ve seen an original Object, then you’ll always be able to tell the difference between a genuine and a fake, but the differences are subtle enough for some to have been fooled by the reproductions. Original Objects are not easy to find; most people who have them seem to want to keep them. Unlike many Zeppelin items that seem to just appeal to hardcore Zeppelin fans, there are a LOT of music fans and collectors of promo items that want or have an Object. Real ones in an unopened box are becoming very rare; most people that get them open them up.

Also, there has been a more recent incarnation of reproduction Objects, manufactured by an artist in Oregon. These are very easy to tell from both the originals and reproduction Objects from several decades ago because they have very rounded edges, are lighter in weight, and are usually numbered 310/1000.

Oregon1
Oregon2

Lastly, many more varying-quality repros from various other sources are making the rounds on Ebay currently, so do your homework if you’re looking for an original.

For the record (no pun intended): I do not have an Object for sale, nor do I know where to find an original one. 

©2016 by Rick Barret and GotLed

Thanks everyone, it should be off the site soon. My aunt really is dead and really was a rocker - she gave it to my mom and said "give it to blah blah, it'll be worth something someday". I'm not trying to fuck anyone over. That would be being a dick, like going batso when some guy makes an honest mistake on the web. At any rate, thanks again, although maybe assume a little better about people... or at least fake it a little longer/better next time?

On 12/1/2022 at 4:14 AM, pattytheleadballoon said:

I'm not trying to fuck anyone over.

Considering the reserve price for your repro object had already been met - a price that was in the ballpark for a genuine object - then some poor sod has already been fucked over

That would be being a dick, like going batso when some guy makes an honest mistake on the web.

You had your 'honest mistake' pointed out repeatedly and yet still reposted the auction link to the fraudulent item,  without acknowledging or addressing the points that had been made  That is being a dick.

At any rate, thanks again, although maybe assume a little better about people

If you sign up to a site like this and the first thing (and the second thing.... and the third thing) you post is a link to an auction to sell an obviously fake piece of memorabilia,  then you've already hung yourself with the short length of rope you brought with you. 

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, you can't really complain if people call it a duck.