2023-2024 NFL Season Thread

Walter

And the wheel rolls on…

Free Agency is a couple of weeks away, then the combine. Draft in late April and then mini-camps, etc. The NFL only has a handful of truly down weeks anymore. More international games. Payton in Denver. Coaching changes galore. Tons of quality rb’s in FA this year, along with some young ones coming back from knee injuries. SF qb dilemma. Calvin Ridley coming off suspension in Jacksonville. Miami qb situation completely up in the air. Philly with a ton of FA’s and need to sign Hurts as he heads into the last year of his rookie contract. Plus will Brady stay retired this time? Sounds like the perfect time to start up this season’s thread. Information will be coming at a fast pace…

Maybe.  Why dont you or Walter have the honors?  I have a feeling this is going to be a great year for the Lions.   The best in my lifetime.  Since the days of that guy that used to drink a six pack in the locker room at halftime. Bobby Lane I believe?  Lions are my pick to win the central  I just do not see Rogeres staying. Raiders.

The Lions play in the North.  You sound like the fans calling in on local sports radio. I'm not buying in for the following reasons....

1.  The Lions went from the 2nd worst team in the NFL to the middle of the pack with 16-18 other teams.  They took a step up.  Maybe a step and a half.  Be competitive, make the playoffs, win your division, win a playoff game, and win it all.  Win your four-team division for the first time in 30 years and everything will take care of itself.  Show me.

2. The Lions loss in Carolina smelled and tasted just like SOL.

3. They took a step up, but still finished four games behind the division leader, the Vikings, who ended up scaring and threatening no one.

4. The Lions started the year with a shitload of injuries, especially on defense.  They finished the year healthier than they have in a generation.  Every year is different, and last year's luck won't be repeated.

5.  Jared Goff played the best 10 games of his career.  I have no complaints toward him.  He also stayed healthy. No small task, as he has the scrambling ability of a drunken giraffe.  Considering 2/3rds of NFL QBs get injured, I don't see Nate Sudfield taking us anywhere but to a top 5 draft pick.  

The Lions have taken the easy step to respectability.  The next steps get harder.  Show me.  

15 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

The Lions play in the North.  You sound like the fans calling in on local sports radio. I'm not buying in for the following reasons....

1.  The Lions went from the 2nd worst team in the NFL to the middle of the pack with 16-18 other teams.  They took a step up.  Maybe a step and a half.  Be competitive, make the playoffs, win your division, win a playoff game, and win it all.  Win your four-team division for the first time in 30 years and everything will take care of itself.  Show me.

2. The Lions loss in Carolina smelled and tasted just like SOL.

3. They took a step up, but still finished four games behind the division leader, the Vikings, who ended up scaring and threatening no one.

4. The Lions started the year with a shitload of injuries, especially on defense.  They finished the year healthier than they have in a generation.  Every year is different, and last year's luck won't be repeated.

5.  Jared Goff played the best 10 games of his career.  I have no complaints toward him.  He also stayed healthy. No small task, as he has the scrambling ability of a drunken giraffe.  Considering 2/3rds of NFL QBs get injured, I don't see Nate Sudfield taking us anywhere but to a top 5 draft pick.  

The Lions have taken the easy step to respectability.  The next steps get harder.  Show me.  

Well the draft has to help does it not?  I would think they have some picks?  If Rogers leaves that division they can certainly win it.   I expect them to.  This coach has done far better than other coach's in recent years. If Geoff had stayed the Rams could have won the  Super Bowl that year with him also.  He is good.  McVay had to blame someone. I hope the Lions win the division. I really do.  And I think they will.  If Rogers leaves, Vikes only threat. 

As for Lamar, I have heard Jets maybe?  But then again I have heard Carr may go to Jets.  Lamar of course would scare me more, but I do not believe the Bills are going to get beat in the division race just yet. They are still the best team in the division.  Can be the best in football if Beane does the right things.  We get Von Miller back and Micah Hyde is ready.  They need 4 players moves in my opinion.  Fix offensive line by getting rid of Dawkins.  Draft either a CB or pass rusher to help Oliver and the kid from Miami whose name I cant spell.   And maybe a linebacker if Edmunds decides to play hard ball in being signed.  I would not over pay him.  No way.  I find him to be lazy at times. Milano is more important. I am fine with the RB's.  But they may decide to draft one if the draft is deep like one here said?  But that is not the problem.  The problems were on defense.  And maybe Frazier.  I do not know why he has a job still?  Or McDermott.  

6 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Well the draft has to help does it not?  I would think they have some picks?  If Rogers leaves that division they can certainly win it.   I expect them to.  This coach has done far better than other coach's in recent years. If Geoff had stayed the Rams could have won the  Super Bowl that year with him also.  He is good.  McVay had to blame someone. I hope the Lions win the division. I really do.  And I think they will.  If Rogers leaves, Vikes only threat. 

As for Lamar, I have heard Jets maybe?  But then again I have heard Carr may go to Jets.  Lamar of course would scare me more, but I do not believe the Bills are going to get beat in the division race just yet. They are still the best team in the division.  Can be the best in football if Beane does the right things.  We get Von Miller back and Micah Hyde is ready.  They need 4 players moves in my opinion.  Fix offensive line by getting rid of Dawkins.  Draft either a CB or pass rusher to help Oliver and the kid from Miami whose name I cant spell.   And maybe a linebacker if Edmunds decides to play hard ball in being signed.  I would not over pay him.  No way.  I find him to be lazy at times. Milano is more important. I am fine with the RB's.  But they may decide to draft one if the draft is deep like one here said?  But that is not the problem.  The problems were on defense.  And maybe Frazier.  I do not know why he has a job still?  Or McDermott.  

I'm hearing rumors the Lions are interested in Edmunds.  He's only 24, we have cap money, and it's a position we need to fill.  Anzalone needs to go.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2023 at 10:54 AM, paul carruthers said:

Lamar Jackson is looking for a new home & I hear South Beach is lovely this time of year...

Or maybe I'm just looking for a new QB in general--even if it meant rolling the dice on Diva Rodgers for whatever few seasons he has left...  :whistling:

Im not sure what is going on with Lamar now?  But it appears the Dolphins are going to keep Tua, which means I would bet they will draft a QB to compete or at least in case of injury?

So should we fear the Jets if they land Rogers?  It sure looks like its happening

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

14 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

I wouldn't fear the Jets, even if Rodgers does release them from his latest "hostage situation." The Bills will still own the AFC East--it's just a matter of if, or when, Buffalo clears that next hurdle that's in front of them....  

And I hope they do not over react to one game.  And blow up the roster. i do not really see it happening.  But I am happy Milano is signed.  I could care less if they keep Edmunds.  He is lazy.  Good, when he wants to be.  I think his best game actually may have been the second game vs Miami?  

I want Dawkins gone. Lazy.  We must have the O line in tact and I leave the running backs be.  Cook has come on.  Today they are talking about going after the Chargers RB that wants a trade.  I would not mind having him but if that happens, then either Singletary or Cook would be gone.  I do believe the Bills are still the best in the East and arguably in the NFL.  Your Dolphins are climbing and I see playoffs for them this year again, if they have a solution if Tua gets hurt.  The Bills might be in the OBJ sweekstakes but how KC is I have no idea.  Do they not follow the Cap rules?  They are not in a huge market.  Bigger than Buffalo but questionable to compete for OBJ with teams like Dallas.  I predict Dallas will get him at some point.  The Jets with Rogers will be better.  But he does not solve all of their problems.  They are still worse than Buffalo and Miami at the skilled positions.  And their secondary is more than suspect if you can get past their ferocious defensive line that wound up injuring Josh Allen.   It seems like Rogers to the Jets is going to happen. I am a bit surprised Rogers is going there

The Lions sign Alex Anzalone to a 3 year contract and the entire city went UGH!

I want to see Rodgers sign with the Jets and start out 2-4.  Then he can deal with the New York media every day instead of the local reporters from 'the fucked up little village'.  Should be fun.  

13 hours ago, custard pie man said:

not a packers fan but wouldn't it be great if they  win it all next year and Rodgers is doing his state farm commercials during super bowl😂

You might get the commercials.  During the playoffs. Maybe he gets them a wild card?  Possible I still think the Bills will win the division and more. But with Rogers the Jets are better than what Green Bay would have been if he stayed there.  Lots of in house fighting would have gone on.  He gives the Jets faith. Hope springs eternal right now.  But I believe Bills and Miami are both better because they are better at the skill positions.  The Jets have a very good defensive line.  But their secondary is average at best. Who does he really have to throw to?  Not much better than in GB but a little. But not the receiver's that the  Bills and Dolphins can throw at you.  Ill stand pat on this.  Bills, Miami, Jets and oh yeah, some New England team.   Dead last for you Bills boy.  Retire already

1 hour ago, Bong-Man said:

Roster impact of the Lions signing C.J. Gardner-Johnson (msn.com)

Have to admit, I didn't see that one coming.  Nothing helps your team depth better than adding at the top instead of the bottom.

dude had a great career in  New Orleans and was an all star last year but I really loved him because in practice couple years back he beat the crap out of teamate Michael Thomas 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35905396/sources-nfl-owners-expected-finalize-roger-goodell-extension

And one of his first orders of business should be moving the Chargers back to San Diego. And if he wants to keep tinkering with the overtime rule, why not revert back to the original "sudden death," rule--whoever scores first (no matter how they score) wins. End of discussion...

I'm sure there's other things I would like to see the NFL clean up, like abolishing the Thursday night games, but I'll stifle myself....

The only thing I have to say about Aaron Rodgers going to the Jets (and who knows if that really happens?) is that I will enjoy watching Aaron Rodgers failing in the AFC as much as I enjoyed watching him fail in the NFC.

On 3/21/2023 at 10:52 PM, Strider said:

The only thing I have to say about Aaron Rodgers going to the Jets (and who knows if that really happens?) is that I will enjoy watching Aaron Rodgers failing in the AFC as much as I enjoyed watching him fail in the NFC.

I thought it was a done deal?  It still is not official?

1 hour ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I thought it was a done deal?  It still is not official?

The only thing that's official is "Diva Rodgers" finally said he wants out of Green Bay & wants to play for the Jets. Green Bay and NY still have to hammer out the details & I would assume GB has all the leverage in whatever negotiating they have done. I would imagine the Packers organization might be a tad pissed that they dropped 50 or 60 million on Rodgers last year, when he held them hostage & now wants out. I would doubt that they will get any 1st round draft picks for Rodgers, but given how desperate the Jets are to sign him, who knows.

The one thing I do know is I'm tired of this story & whatever Lamar Jackson tidbits are dropping every day on the sports media cycle...  :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

The only thing that's official is "Diva Rodgers" finally said he wants out of Green Bay & wants to play for the Jets. Green Bay and NY still have to hammer out the details & I would assume GB has all the leverage in whatever negotiating they have done. I would imagine the Packers organization might be a tad pissed that they dropped 50 or 60 million on Rodgers last year, when he held them hostage & now wants out. I would doubt that they will get any 1st round draft picks for Rodgers, but given how desperate the Jets are to sign him, who knows.

The one thing I do know is I'm tired of this story & whatever Lamar Jackson tidbits are dropping every day on the sports media cycle...  :rolleyes:

Well thanks for update.  I really can’t see Baltimore letting Lamar go.  Big offers would have come already.  I believe New Orleans signed a big name QB?  Can’t remember who but I’m picking them and Carolina to fight for the South.  Baseball ️ here in two days so that is more important right now.  Lastly, I see no way Rogers stays now.  

7 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Well thanks for update.  I really can’t see Baltimore letting Lamar go.  Big offers would have come already.  I believe New Orleans signed a big name QB?  Can’t remember who but I’m picking them and Carolina to fight for the South.  Baseball ️ here in two days so that is more important right now.  Lastly, I see no way Rogers stays now.  

Baltimore is playing games with Lamar, he IS representing himself in the negotiations... Carr signed with New Orleans and they still have Winston as their backup. I don't believe Kamara will be playing to start the season, he is facing some legal trouble and will probably be suspended 4-6 games by the league, IMO. 

On 3/21/2023 at 10:52 PM, Strider said:

many feel the same, great player who would rather talk about himself than his team, dude brought  it all on himself, believe packers will be happy to move on and grab some picks

2 hours ago, Walter said:

Baltimore is playing games with Lamar, he IS representing himself in the negotiations... Carr signed with New Orleans and they still have Winston as their backup. I don't believe Kamara will be playing to start the season, he is facing some legal trouble and will probably be suspended 4-6 games by the league, IMO. 

Lamar is representing himself? shit last guy I remember doing that or care to remember was #12 of Cowboys