Iceland

custard pie man

So going away to  Iceland 2nd week of December with wife and kids and in-laws, other than cold and little daylight does anyone on this forum live there and have some insights? kids have booked lagoon spa, snowmobile, northern lights, shit like that, wondering what else to do also hearing about volcanic eruptions?

4 hours ago, custard pie man said:

So going away to  Iceland 2nd week of December with wife and kids and in-laws, other than cold and little daylight does anyone on this forum live there and have some insights? kids have booked lagoon spa, snowmobile, northern lights, shit like that, wondering what else to do also hearing about volcanic eruptions?

I don't live there, but I've visited a couple of times. I'd recommend a tour of the south shore area. It's just beautiful. Also, you can take a ride on Icelandic ponies. They're actually small horses, and a riding tour on them will get you into parts of the countryside you wouldn't otherwise see. Also, one of my favorite parts of each trip was the ride from the airport to Reykjavik. It passes through an area of volcanic rock, and with the jet lag and hazy morning light, it seems like you're on a different planet. 

2 hours ago, SteveZ98 said:

I don't live there, but I've visited a couple of times. I'd recommend a tour of the south shore area. It's just beautiful. Also, you can take a ride on Icelandic ponies. They're actually small horses, and a riding tour on them will get you into parts of the countryside you wouldn't otherwise see. Also, one of my favorite parts of each trip was the ride from the airport to Reykjavik. It passes through an area of volcanic rock, and with the jet lag and hazy morning light, it seems like you're on a different planet. 

thanks, kids actually wanted to go  from airport  straight to hot springs lagoon which we nixed would much prefer  checking in hotel first before  jumping into bathing suits

I went to Iceland during the Covid years (one of only 3 European countries that allowed American tourists).  I agree with the above that a Southern Golden Circle tour is a must.  If you or your family are Game of Thrones fanes, you can do a GoT tour and visit filming sites there.  Also, don't forget a whale tour (puffins will be gone at that time)!  Finally, bring plenty of cash, EVERYTHING is expensive - especially eating out!  Bonus is the cheapest grocery store - stock up and eat in the room when you can. 

2 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

I went to Iceland during the Covid years (one of only 3 European countries that allowed American tourists).  I agree with the above that a Southern Golden Circle tour is a must.  If you or your family are Game of Thrones fanes, you can do a GoT tour and visit filming sites there.  Also, don't forget a whale tour (puffins will be gone at that time)!  Finally, bring plenty of cash, EVERYTHING is expensive - especially eating out!  Bonus is the cheapest grocery store - stock up and eat in the room when you can. 

thanks, will share  all these nice tips with family, have heard though cash is a no no, that they want credit cards only?

22 hours ago, kipper said:

If there are any Icelandic women who are displaced by the volcanic events in Iceland, I have plenty of room in my home for them to shelter for as long as they wish.

that does it lol now i have to figure a way to  come up with a bad back,  get out of all day tour with the family and go sight seeing for beautiful  Icelandic women

22 hours ago, The Only Way To Fly said:

Took my son for his HS graduation and we camped all around the island. Even made it to Laugardalsholl, a house of the holy. check it out. You're going to love it!

22 hours ago, The Only Way To Fly said:

Took my son for his HS graduation and we camped all around the island. Even made it to Laugardalsholl, a house of the holy. check it out. You're going to love it!

👍

55 minutes ago, custard pie man said:

thanks, will share  all these nice tips with family, have heard though cash is a no no, that they want credit cards only?

I paid cash for everything.  About the only thing I saw that you HAD to pay with credit card was gas (most gas stations are pay at the pump with no attendant), renting electric bikes or scooters and paying for parking.  Be careful paying with your credit card.  Met a guy from Ohio that brought his family there for vacation.  He took them to a KFC in Reykjavik and didn't pay any attention to the prices on the menu board.  After his family of four was done ordering, the bill was $314.00 US!!!!  

19 hours ago, Strider said:

You've picked an interesting time to go. Earthquakes and a possible volcano eruption ahead.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/iceland-volcano-2023-eruption-latest-news-b2453899.html

was booked  10 months ago but trust me were debating if we should stay or go, officially has been downgraded this week but who knows? leaving on 10th so still monitoring, actually calling hotel in a few

1 hour ago, custard pie man said:

was booked  10 months ago but trust me were debating if we should stay or go, officially has been downgraded this week but who knows? leaving on 10th so still monitoring, actually calling hotel in a few

If I was you, I'd still go.  The Icelanders are used to these volcanic activities and know how to work around them.  Although the Blue Lagoon is currently closed (it's an over=priced tourist trap anyway - better hot springs elsewhere), the only thing that would prevent you having a GREAT time is if the smoke from an eruption messes with planes landing/taking off from the airport.  

7 hours ago, custard pie man said:

I'd still go. Chance of a lifetime.

On 11/19/2023 at 8:38 AM, The Only Way To Fly said:

Like Charlie said: 5 years of playing and 20 years of just hanging out doing nothing. 

staying at Alda hotel and  the gentlemen who talked to mee for an hour really explained so much not only  the reality of earthquakes there but also everything to do with Iceland, our tours, great pubs, restaurants, etc... fuck it were going so I ll have to submit  nfl picks to strider maybe for 2 weeks  incase i get  kid napped by a beautiful icelandic blonde

On 11/28/2023 at 10:15 AM, Stryder1978 said:

If I was you, I'd still go.  The Icelanders are used to these volcanic activities and know how to work around them.  Although the Blue Lagoon is currently closed (it's an over=priced tourist trap anyway - better hot springs elsewhere), the only thing that would prevent you having a GREAT time is if the smoke from an eruption messes with planes landing/taking off from the airport.  

👍

Hey custard pie man,

I was looking over my journal this past weekend and came across something that might be of interest to you.  I stayed at three different hotels during my stay and all of them were beyond HOT!  They use geothermal heating and the rooms get super uncomfortable,  I sleep in just shorts anyway, but even then, it was too hot in the room to sleep.  Turned the thermostat off, opened the window - still too hot!  I usually sleep in shorts and a thin bed sheet, but all the beds in the hotels I stayed at only had a super-thick comforter on the bed and no bed sheet.  I made a note to myself to bring a bed sheet along on my next trip there.  I already put a bed sheet into my luggage for my trip there in May 2024.

• 2 weeks later...

Had such a fantastic time, six of us so we did full day tours including snowmobile on glaciers, rented a car  and saw many majestic waterfalls, another all day tour doing ice caves in a rain/ sleet/ all day storm but guide was so awesome nobody gave 2 shits about weather, so many sights, great food and drink, very friendly people, would love to go back in summer, oh yeah Blue Lagoon still was closed so we went to Sky lagoon  for 4 hours, only thing that didn't work out for  my family was northern lights was cancelled numerous times. not very good  with iphone and posting pics but  kids will be here for holidays so hopefully they  help me post a few, thanks for everyones tips, much appreciated

On 12/5/2023 at 1:20 PM, Stryder1978 said:

Hey custard pie man,

I was looking over my journal this past weekend and came across something that might be of interest to you.  I stayed at three different hotels during my stay and all of them were beyond HOT!  They use geothermal heating and the rooms get super uncomfortable,  I sleep in just shorts anyway, but even then, it was too hot in the room to sleep.  Turned the thermostat off, opened the window - still too hot!  I usually sleep in shorts and a thin bed sheet, but all the beds in the hotels I stayed at only had a super-thick comforter on the bed and no bed sheet.  I made a note to myself to bring a bed sheet along on my next trip there.  I already put a bed sheet into my luggage for my trip there in May 2024.

stayed in main city downtown at hotel Alda very close to big Lewboskis bar, first nite couldn't sleep so freakin hot next morning went to complain and was told where the adjustment was on radiator, we were fine after that, only other problem was showering, we had two plexi glass doors  that move when you open and close to get in well  water would seem to escape because seal wasn't good, sunday nite found American bar and English pub where  you could watch NFL , our version of Hooters lol

1 hour ago, custard pie man said:

Had such a fantastic time, six of us so we did full day tours including snowmobile on glaciers, rented a car  and saw many majestic waterfalls, another all day tour doing ice caves in a rain/ sleet/ all day storm but guide was so awesome nobody gave 2 shits about weather, so many sights, great food and drink, very friendly people, would love to go back in summer, oh yeah Blue Lagoon still was closed so we went to Sky lagoon  for 4 hours, only thing that didn't work out for  my family was northern lights was cancelled numerous times. not very good  with iphone and posting pics but  kids will be here for holidays so hopefully they  help me post a few, thanks for everyones tips, much appreciated

Glad you guys had a great time!  Loved Iceland and the people were so friendly ( a bonus that everyone speaks English!).  Hope to see some pictures posted soon!