The Kinks’ Dave Davies blasts latest claim Jimmy Page played on “You Really Got Me”

zeplz71

The Kinks’ Dave Davies blasts latest claim Jimmy Page played on “You Really Got Me”

--Jill Lances

The Kinks’ Dave Davies is taking issue with Guitar World magazine after they posted an article claiming rock producer Eddie Kramer confirmed the long-held rumor that Led Zeppelin’s Jimmy Page played guitar on the band’s hit “You Really Got Me.”

“I met Jimmy while he was working with the Kinks in the early ’60s when they were doing ‘You Really Got Me,'” he reportedly said. “I know the Davies brothers will say otherwise, but I recall seeing Jimmy coming in and doing an overdub on that song. There’s some contention about that, but that’s how I remember it.”

Davies later took to social media to shoot down the suggestion, noting Kramer insists he never made those comments.

“I demand an immediate retraction from @GuitarWorld and @guitar I spoke to @EdKramerTweets yesterday and he denies ever saying that @JimmyPage played on @theKinks YRGM,” he wrote. “I played all the guitar parts on YRGM Ed Kramer told me yesterday he was misquoted.”

He added, “I’m so tired of reporters getting it wrong.”

Rumors that Page appeared on the song have been circulating for years, but both Davies and Page himself have denied them.

"You Really Got Me," the third single The Kinks ever released, hit #1 in the U.K. It was the band’s breakthrough hit in the U.S., peaking at #7 on the chart. It was covered by Van Halen on their 1978 self-titled debut.

Copyright © 2024, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

4 minutes ago, KnightsofNi said:

So Jimmy says no and the Kinks say no.  Hmm.  I heard another rumor that Jimmy played the solo on Layla.   Jimmy and Clapton deny it, but you never know.

But conspiracy theorists will say Davies and Page only deny it to cover up the truth!

Edited by jsj

Well, maybe we will learn the real truth in Jimmy's autobiography that he says he will release after he is gone.  But, first Jimmy has to finish the remastering the Yardbird's catalogue and accompanying autographed picture book for $599 dollars. 

2 hours ago, KnightsofNi said:

So Jimmy says no and the Kinks say no.  Hmm.  I heard another rumor that Jimmy played the solo on Layla.   Jimmy and Clapton deny it, but you never know.

Actually, we do know. Who told you this rumor? It's absolute bollocks. Eric Clapton and Duane Allman played guitar on the 1970 "Layla" recording. Full stop.

Edited by Strider

17 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

Pretty sure their comment was sarcastic.

Ah, you're right. It's hard to tell sometimes...especially with someone I am not familiar with, as KnightsofNi is fairly new here. The death of real music journalism and the rise of bullshit clickbait music sites means there are an awful lot of articles being written in the vein of "X says this about Y" and you find out the writer (a more accurate description would be 'cut + paster') has taken old quotes from ages ago out of context and passed them off as current news. 

Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin have enough baggage to deal with without adding made-up beefs into the mix.

Yes indeed, it was an attempt to poke fun at music clickbait sites rehashing stuff that may have been mildly interesting in the past, and referencing, in jest Jimmy's focus on remastering everything and selling his signatures --- rather than putting out any new music over the last 25 years.

On 2/28/2024 at 6:10 PM, Strider said:

Actually, we do know. Who told you this rumor? It's absolute bollocks. Eric Clapton and Duane Allman played guitar on the 1970 "Layla" recording. Full stop.

Actually JP did play the ending solo on "Layla" once the piano comes in. But, not the studio version but on the ARMS concerts mini-tour with Clapton and Beck. Glad I got to see this in person. First time I ever saw JP live.

I was at the Forum in LA for that show too.   Wait a minute ...SuperDave....so if it is true that Page did play Layla (albeit the end), then just MAYBE Page once played a You Really Got ME....perhaps at the end,... so there could be some truth to Eddie Kramer's claim.  Meaning that this entire conversation has been entire waste of time!  🙂   WOW

16 hours ago, SuperDave said:

Actually JP did play the ending solo on "Layla" once the piano comes in. But, not the studio version but on the ARMS concerts mini-tour with Clapton and Beck. Glad I got to see this in person. First time I ever saw JP live.

MSG last show for me, fantastic  4 part show with Clapton then Beck followed by Page then ending  with everyone on stage playing for another 30 minutes or so

I am of the opinion that Page did, in fact, play on "You Really Got Me". The reason I think this is from an interview he did in Tokyo in 1990. The interviewer asked him point blank if he played on it, and he refused to say if he did or didn't. He kept repeating the same line: "I have played on Kinks records." He also very briefly made a comment on Ray Davies' behavior around the subject, which implied that the guy (Ray) was not balanced mentally and a bit of a hothead. It seemed quite obvious he was answering the question without directly answering it, which of course the interviewers didn't get at all (it was a horrible interview - the interviewers were not particularly intelligent, insightful, good listeners or able to read the room).

In other words, Page didn't want to deal with the BS around the subject, be it litigious or otherwise. But his answers and the way in which he answered this line of questioning spoke volumes. He refused to say he DIDN'T play on the record which I'm assuming was a point of pride thing. He didn't want to deal with the drama but also refused to say he didn't play on the record.   

On 2/29/2024 at 6:56 PM, KnightsofNi said:

I was at the Forum in LA for that show too.   Wait a minute ...SuperDave....so if it is true that Page did play Layla (albeit the end), then just MAYBE Page once played a You Really Got ME....perhaps at the end,... so there could be some truth to Eddie Kramer's claim.  Meaning that this entire conversation has been entire waste of time!  🙂   WOW

Page did play "You Really Got Me" for 8 seconds in 1971

13 hours ago, conquistador said:

Page did play "You Really Got Me" for 8 seconds in 1971

I'm just saying he played the ending solo of Layla during the ARMS shows, not the studio version by Derek and The Dominoes.

On 2/28/2024 at 9:10 PM, KnightsofNi said:

Well, maybe we will learn the real truth in Jimmy's autobiography that he says he will release after he is gone.  

We all know on here  there is less than zero chance of this ever happening….

Paganini  -  I don't know maybe its different this time.   There already rumors' that the reason Page's website has gone dark is that he is about to make a big announcement. 

Maybe a biography?

Could it be the long promised new music?  

The music surprises that he has suggested might come soon?