In the Light

70sPercy'sPet

Hey all. Among the softer songs (Thank You, Ten Years Gone, Rain Song, Tangerine, etc), and the anthems of course, natch, I have to say that In the Light is one of my favorite songs. Someone very close to be introduced me to it. Anyone agree?

They can't play it live because the keyboard is such a pain in the ass to use, I've read.

I have to agree that In the Light is one of their best statements. However I think the reason they never played it live is because they never "played" it at all. Stay with me here! :lol: In the Light began as a track called In the Morning. It was recorded in both a piano and a Farfisa organ version. The verses were different and it didn't have the grand synth parts. The song was scrappped for a time. Then Jimmy took the original drum tracks and grafted new verses, guitars, bass and the keyboards to it. So technically speaking the band never played it as a group. It's basically a paste up. Albeit a damned good one on what many would agree is the best album side in Zep's catalog.

Hey all. Among the softer songs (Thank You, Ten Years Gone, Rain Song, Tangerine, etc), and the anthems of course, natch, I have to say that In the Light is one of my favorite songs. Someone very close to be introduced me to it. Anyone agree?

They can't play it live because the keyboard is such a pain in the ass to use, I've read.

I agree. One of my top 10 Zep tunes of all time. Has been that way for 30 years.

I have to agree, In the Light is one of my favorite songs as well. Sometimes I think I could get lost in it, just close my eyes and start drifting away...

I have to agree that In the Light is one of their best statements. However I think the reason they never played it live is because they never "played" it at all. Stay with me here! :lol: In the Light began as a track called In the Morning. It was recorded in both a piano and a Farfisa organ version. The verses were different and it didn't have the grand synth parts. The song was scrappped for a time. Then Jimmy took the original drum tracks and grafted new verses, guitars, bass and the keyboards to it. So technically speaking the band never played it as a group. It's basically a paste up. Albeit a damned good one on what many would agree is the best album side in Zep's catalog.

Wow, that's very interesting!

There is a bootleg cd called hidden documents which is simply the PG recording sessions. They play it 2 different ways (piano and synth) But I have to say the piano version is a little more "haunting".

And you know this how?

I have been following this band for 40 years, read everything there is on them but don't recall ever

reading this.

Archived