Massive gear purchase

ArmsofAtlas

I am sittin on some cash and my wife has given me the ok for a massive gear purchase, so I placed an order for the Marshall JVM205C 50W 2x12 this morning, which is basically my dream amp. I ordered it based on a friend, who knows me well, the Marshall reputation, and all the features. Anyone have anything good or bad to say about it?

So now is the time for the dream guitar. I have a 91 Les Paul Standard in Cherry Sunburst. I love it and it has convinced me that the only guitar for me is a Les Paul. I have been scopin out the Silverburst Custom and it's the front runner so far, based solely on looks, and I am playin one this weekend. Having said that, I am wide open for suggestions. I honestly need more places to shop. What are some websites or stores within driving distance of southern Illinois that have more than just the regular Les Paul options.

I am thinkin about doin the exact same as you, sept im wanting a marshall Vintage Modern, 2x12 50 watt, and a les paul. The vintage modern is a great classic plexi type amp if you are really into classic/blues rock tone like (OF course the great LED ZEPPELIN \m/) but it has some GREAT features and a really kool "overdrive customization". It is a 1 channel amp tho, but with 2 modes. All it does is add another Pre-amp tube in the signal path which gives u more gain. I think that is such and easy and extroardinary way to acheive more overdrive. As u prolly know marshalls dont have the best cleans, mostley cause all newer marshalls have 4 pre amp tubes, and fenders have 3, so u get a GREAT fender clean with this amp, it is totally amazin. Ive been debating between this amp and a real plexi, but i dont know i i would be able, cause generally families dont like big amps, and plexis are BIG stacks, and i aint got much cash, and an allowance wont get me there fast. I dont know when ill make the purchase, a $20 dollar allowence isnt gonna get me there very quick, and not many jobs offer positions to a 14 year old, but ive been savin up since 4ever, and im about to run out of patience, GOOD LUCK with your new gear. And of course, ya gotta love a Les Paul, best damn gitah rite there, i have paul also that i play with my stupid marshall MG15, ive had these for 4ever, and im sick and tired. But i do have next X mas to look 4ward to :(

I would definitely look on Ebay for a Gibson Custom Shop Historic Les Paul. They do '58-'60 reissues that are MUCH nicer than their standard production Pauls. The '59s are more expensive because they have flamey tops, but you can get a '58 plaintop for around $2,000-$2,500. So for around the same money as a new standard, you can get a guitar handmade in Gibson's custom shop, to exact '58 specs. Very nice...

example:

Ebay auction for 1958 reissue

I would definitely look on Ebay for a Gibson Custom Shop Historic Les Paul. They do '58-'60 reissues that are MUCH nicer than their standard production Pauls. The '59s are more expensive because they have flamey tops, but you can get a '58 plaintop for around $2,000-$2,500. So for around the same money as a new standard, you can get a guitar handmade in Gibson's custom shop, to exact '58 specs. Very nice...

example:

Paul Reed Smith builds a better guitar these days! I know that it's cool to look like Jimmy, but my PRS smokes the two very nice Les Pauls that I own. An old JCM800 Marshall combo 2x12 will sound better than any new Marshall combo, but get your own dream rig. It's your money. :D

Paul Reed Smith builds a better guitar these days! I know that it's cool to look like Jimmy, but my PRS smokes the two very nice Les Pauls that I own. An old JCM800 Marshall combo 2x12 will sound better than any new Marshall combo, but get your own dream rig. It's your money. :D

Dont have anything bad to say about the rig my man.To me its all about personal preference .I have a couple of expensive Guitars but my favorite to play is a much cheaper $400 epiphone v wing its just a feel thing.I find myself playing it quite a bit more than any of the others.Next would be my les paul,then the strat.

The Paul Reed Smith is a great sounding Guitar and will be my next purchase.I just bought my son a little Marshall practice amp .I have always wanted a wall covered by Marshall amps dont have the room nor does anyone need that but it looks so cool.Cam Pyle a local musican and friend plays a Paul Reed Smith and he loves it.

cam1.jpg

Cam Pyle

Paul Reed Smith builds a better guitar these days! I know that it's cool to look like Jimmy, but my PRS smokes the two very nice Les Pauls that I own.

...in your opinion.

My Les Paul was the best guitar in the shop, that's why I bought it. It totally smoked the PRSs they had in stock...

...in my opinion. ;)

A tip if anyone is really thinking about going for one of the Historic reissues: try an R0 (that's the 1960 LP std reissue) - they're in less demand than the R9, or even the R8, so you can usually get a better deal.

Plus they have they thinner neck carve, which is more in keeping with modern tastes (it's not as thin as the Page signature LP std was, but it's very nice)

...in your opinion.

My Les Paul was the best guitar in the shop, that's why I bought it. It totally smoked the PRSs they had in stock...

...in my opinion. ;)

A tip if anyone is really thinking about going for one of the Historic reissues: try an R0 (that's the 1960 LP std reissue) - they're in less demand than the R9, or even the R8, so you can usually get a better deal.

Plus they have they thinner neck carve, which is more in keeping with modern tastes (it's not as thin as the Page signature LP std was, but it's very nice)

You might ask around. Most pro musicians will tell you that the top notch PRS guitars are VASTLY SUPERIOR to ANYTHING that Gibson builds today. I DO OWN a couple of VINTAGE LES PAULS that also smoke anything pre-1976 Gibson. If your opinion is that a Gibson can smoke my PRS Hollowbody II ...I know 200 people that will loudly disagree with you! And they are all Les Paul Fans! I was very surprised when the PRS became my NUMBER 1 guitar! My bandmates were unhappy when I started playing it.... for about half a gig! :D

You're right... it's just my opinion. A guitar is a very personal instrument...a fellow could strongly defend his Epiphone, claiming that the Korean made guitar (made with vastly inferior parts) is BETTER or AS GOOD as a Gibson. In his opinion...he is right. :)

example:

Great advice, I love those R8's, big neck and unpretentious top.

I'm not a fan of those Silver Bursts in general, all the ones I played were dead wood. really, really dead. I think thats because when they were making them those were some of Gibsons worst years.

I don't know if you've considered putting new pickups and controls in. I have a 96 Standard (Gibson) that was always a great piece of wood but I put the neck pickup from my '71 SG in the neck and a Seymour Duncan antiquity ion the bridge and that guitar came alive. That's really the sound I go for anyway but it is much more in the classic rock vein., Modern pickups are way overwound and generally use different magnets and winding techniques and the result is a very different pickup. For my money putting electronics that suited my tastes in a guitar that was resonant and played well suited my needs and budget much better.

As for the amp, I wouldn't touch anything Marshall makes anymore. And 50Watts is a lot of amp, those things have to get going really loud to start to break up nice. Yeah, yeah I know it's master volume but once you get a Master Volume Marshall cranked you can't go back. Everything else is...not as good. Without a Hot Plate or attenuator you're going to be peeling paint when that thing starts to sing. My JCM800 is a real problem that way, it's too much for anything under a 500 seat venue. My 35 Watt Mesa Maverick is a little more controllable but still a lot of amp. As a matter of fact I played a 5,000 seat outdoor venue with my 35 watt Mesa Maverick and a 4x12 and had plenty of room left over to keep turning up.

My taste is for lower wattage but there is no sound like a Plexi. That being said if I wanted plexi I wouldn't buy a Marshall I would buy a Metro. Better parts and built to the original spec. The new handwired Marshalls are great sounding amps but even those don't come with the correct transformers and a few other components that a lot of the smaller builders are getting right and they are expensive!

Great advice, I love those R8's, big neck and unpretentious top.

I'm not a fan of those Silver Bursts in general, all the ones I played were dead wood. really, really dead. I think thats because when they were making them those were some of Gibsons worst years.

I don't know if you've considered putting new pickups and controls in. I have a 96 Standard (Gibson) that was always a great piece of wood but I put the neck pickup from my '71 SG in the neck and a Seymour Duncan antiquity ion the bridge and that guitar came alive. That's really the sound I go for anyway but it is much more in the classic rock vein., Modern pickups are way overwound and generally use different magnets and winding techniques and the result is a very different pickup. For my money putting electronics that suited my tastes in a guitar that was resonant and played well suited my needs and budget much better.

As for the amp, I wouldn't touch anything Marshall makes anymore. And 50Watts is a lot of amp, those things have to get going really loud to start to break up nice. Yeah, yeah I know it's master volume but once you get a Master Volume Marshall cranked you can't go back. Everything else is...not as good. Without a Hot Plate or attenuator you're going to be peeling paint when that thing starts to sing. My JCM800 is a real problem that way, it's too much for anything under a 500 seat venue. My 35 Watt Mesa Maverick is a little more controllable but still a lot of amp. As a matter of fact I played a 5,000 seat outdoor venue with my 35 watt Mesa Maverick and a 4x12 and had plenty of room left over to keep turning up.

My taste is for lower wattage but there is no sound like a Plexi. That being said if I wanted plexi I wouldn't buy a Marshall I would buy a Metro. Better parts and built to the original spec. The new handwired Marshalls are great sounding amps but even those don't come with the correct transformers and a few other components that a lot of the smaller builders are getting right and they are expensive!

You have to be VERY careful with hot plates/power soaks, etc....they will burn up your output transformer in no time

You have to be VERY careful with hot plates/power soaks, etc....they will burn up your output transformer in no time

I know a lot of guys who are using the Hot Plate with no problems at all.

However I've heard many stories of people frying their OT with powersoaks and other brands. But especially the Marshall one, Power Soak? Power Brake?

I know a lot of guys who are using the Hot Plate with no problems at all.

However I've heard many stories of people frying their OT with powersoaks and other brands. But especially the Marshall one, Power Soak? Power Brake?

I've seen 3 vintage plexis go up in smoke using a power soak, and the local marshall guru told me to avoid all those "gadgets"(as he called them) like the plauge

I've seen 3 vintage plexis go up in smoke using a power soak, and the local marshall guru told me to avoid all those "gadgets"(as he called them) like the plauge

Ak! That would suck hard, that's what the buzz has been on the power soak for years.

Lot's of guys are having great luck with the Post Phase Inverter Master Volume PPIMV aka the "Rich" mod, I'll probably go that route on my '67 Traynor YSR-1. Even though it's 50 watts that is the loudest amp I have ever been in front of. Yes, much louder than the Hendrix stack at the NAMM show. Loud! But it sounds really great. I'll probably put EL34's in and the filter caps need to be changes. It has a really cool headroom to it like early Jimmy Page live tone.

Sorry to thread hijack...

You might ask around. Most pro musicians will tell you that the top notch PRS guitars are VASTLY SUPERIOR to ANYTHING that Gibson builds today.

"Most"? Well that depends who you ask doesn't it? ;)

FWIW most of the pros that I have known play Gibsons, Fenders, Gretschs etc and not PRS.

Maybe that's just around here. Anyway, it's not worth getting into an argument over, is it?

example:

Hi there, this is my 1st post on this forum.

Excellent advice from Mattmc1973! The Gibson Custom Shop Historic '58 Les Pauls are truly fine instruments. I bought one in 2003 and I never tire of it's tone, feel and look. Compared to the '59-60 models, my '58 is heavier (9 lbs+), the neck is fatter and the top has just a touch of flame. Regardless of the Les Paul, it is absolutely worth it to pay a bit extra for a Gibson Custom Shop guitar.

Ran my '59 Custom Historic Les Paul through my Marshall DSL50 with Mesa cabs with Celestion Vintage 30s and a Tube Screamer. Fucking wicked! Best experience of my life. But like Gibsons, PRS can be different from one to the next. I had a Singlecut that was built after PRS' chief luthier went over to Ed Roman. PRS quality has gone south over the last 3-4 years. Assembly line stuff nowadays. Unless of course you can pay 10 large (or more) for one of their customs. I'll take the Gibson Custom Shop. They're way cheaper. But remember, like picking a girlfriend, just cause they're pretty and have a pedigree doesn't mean they won't turn out to be a fussy bitch! Play as many guitars as you can. Pick the one that speaks for you. You may be surprized. Don't restrict yourself to brand names and popular models. Play everything you can get your mitts on! I must have played 30 American Standard Strats before I found "the one". Just my two cents. :beer:

Arent PRS mechanically made and Gibsons handmade, (standards and up). Im pretty sure, so you can find a Les Paul for more your style if you really try alot of them since they will probably vary in some thing that you didnt like about that first les paul that you did (or didnt) like.

You are probably right about the plexis and the power soaks, but what about mods, like a master volume mod? Would those "send your plexi up in smoke", I know of a guy who really does em good, his names David Bray.

Not that a Plexi isn't a worthy quest but your 14, what are you going to do with a 100 watt 1/2 stack?! And if money is an issue those are the most expensive of the bunch! PPIMV mods are safe and I know of many, many non-master volume amp users using the THD Hotplate with no problems. But again, those go for around $350 and having David Bray crack your amp open isn't going to be cheap either. Find an amp you like in your budget and go from there.

I know, i am 14, but still(ill b 15 in a month), ive been saving my money for a VERY long time, and i want a DAMN GOOD amp. :D

My local music store is selling them pretty decently priced too, i think i saw the 1959slp half stack in there for less than 2 grand, so gettin a 50 watt is prolly gonna cost less monies than that, and ive got over a grand tucked under my bed, and im pretty patient, ima try to sell lots of my stuff to get more money, and may have to get a job in the summer. But i would be satisfied with a lower end amp as you suggested, but not for very long, ill just be wanting another better amp soonere or later, so id rather wait, and get what i really want. Parents may complain about the big amp, but if im buying it, i can get what i want.

Is that not wise??

It's your money man but two things to consider.

1) the SLP for two grand isn't the handwired and you can get a much better Marshall clone for the same money. That amp was a re-issue of an amp that never existed. It's a mish mash of 60's and 70's circuits and sounds more like a metal face than anything else. If you want it to say Marshall on the front thats your business, if you want it to sound like an authentic plexi, buy something else.

2) Carrying around a half stack is a pain in the balls. It's a lot more fun to pick up and go with a 2x12 or even a head and a 2x12 cabinet. 4x12? too much.

Patience is key. The saying a fool and his money are easily parted would be applicable here.

Happy hunting!

I plan on gettin the Silverburst Custom Shop reissue, not an original, so hopefully they are reissuing them with good wood.

Why wouldn't you touch a new Marshall? I played a JVM 100 and it sounds really good at guitar store volumes, so I am assuming that the 50 watter will sound better, at that volume. I already have a 50 watt amp, and with the new Marshall you can set up and save different master volumes, with the footswitch.

imo, the newer Marshall are 10x better than the old stuff. While you may not get every exact sound of every past Marshall, they come damn close.

It's your money man but two things to consider.

1) the SLP for two grand isn't the handwired and you can get a much better Marshall clone for the same money. That amp was a re-issue of an amp that never existed. It's a mish mash of 60's and 70's circuits and sounds more like a metal face than anything else. If you want it to say Marshall on the front thats your business, if you want it to sound like an authentic plexi, buy something else.

2) Carrying around a half stack is a pain in the balls. It's a lot more fun to pick up and go with a 2x12 or even a head and a 2x12 cabinet. 4x12? too much.

Patience is key. The saying a fool and his money are easily parted would be applicable here.

Happy hunting!

I wasnt looking for the handwired, way too much money, however i will consider another brand that sounds more like the plexi, however the people i know who have em, and the ones i have heard sound just like heaven, and they say thay do sound like the old ones sept more reliable, and i wasnt planning on gettin the marshall cab, just the head, and plug it into an Avatar 2x12.

As for 100 watts, HELL NO, my ear drums would burst, im lookin for the 50 watt

A 100 watt Plexi? Good god! I had one! I highly recommend you test drive before you buy! They're fucking LOUD! And yes, I had a Hotplate hooked up. So-called "powersoaks", despite the debate about frying your amp, are very touchy. They have a sweet spot and are not very flexible. You're gonna need more flexibility for rehearsing and live gigging. Better to have 50 watts you can push naturally than 100 watts you have to wrangle. Power tube saturation through two EL34s works the same as four. Just at a more reasonable level. Think about it. Seriously. 100 watt Plexis were made for large venues at blistering volumes. If you can get the same tone at 50 watts, why not go with it?

Famous 50 watters include Michael Schenker and Randy Rhoads. Pretty damn good company!

What can I say? I've been playing for 30+ years. You don't need a 100 watt Plexi! I know they almost mythical, but when you drag that monster to a gig, you'll end up using a pedal to push the preamp. So what's the point?

I wasnt looking for the handwired, way too much money, however i will consider another brand that sounds more like the plexi, however the people i know who have em, and the ones i have heard sound just like heaven, and they say thay do sound like the old ones sept more reliable, and i wasnt planning on gettin the marshall cab, just the head, and plug it into an Avatar 2x12.

You get a lot more bang for your buck and re-sale value out of the boutique stuff. Same price range (@$2K) there are some cool choices

Roccaforte Custom 40 I'm pretty sure Marc Ford is using these

Germino Lead 55 Also great amps

Mojave Cyote Allthough this isn't based off a 50 Watt Marshall, it's still a cool amp in that price range. Their Scorpion is the 50 watter, but it's a bit pricey at @$2,600. A really good friend of mine has their Plexi 100 (the Peacemaker) as well as the Marshall handwired 100 and said the Mojave is a little brighter overall. These amps are know for being close to the Van Halen circut of plexi (12xxx series) and lots of guys get them to do the Van Halen I sound.

Victoria Bassman Although this one is out of your price range I've seen them going used for half this if your willing to wait and hunt. Remember the JTM 45 was basically what Jim Marshall and Ken Bran came up with when they tried to copy a Bassman using readily available British parts.

Metro amp 100 I know you said no 100 watters, but I had to throw this out there because the price is on par with everything else and they are fantastic amps. This is as plexi as it gets. But way too loud...

All of the above use build materials that are correct to the original Marshall designs. Marshall changed things around so often some of them are geared towards specific plexi circuits. Remember that Plexi is just a designation for amps that had a plexi glass plate over the controls, there were many variations over the years and the boutique guys each specialize in a certain niche.

The new Marshall stuff is all PCB (obvious exception being the handwired) and aren't faithful to any particular design or authentic spec parts. Not that they are bad sounding necessarily but if your going to lay out that kind of coin, for my money I'd rather have something hand tagged and built using top quality components instead of cheep PCB's that are expensive to repair and wimpy transformers.

Archived