98 Page/Plant tour

Nick C

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has found any good clips of this tour - it was far better than the 95 tour - If there is anyone with a complete show with decent audio on DVD in Australia i would love to hear from you. I have most of a Page/Crowes gig as a couple of Divx files i can trade :D

I have these on DVD

1998.03.25 London

1998.07.04 Toronto

1998.07.11 Albany, NY

1998.08.23 Cologne, DE

1998.09.06 George, WA

1998.09.24 Phoenix

1998.11.13 Vienna

1998.11.17 Prague

All are good, but it's been a while since I watched them to tell you which I think was best. Overall, I prefer the 1996 Japan shows because of the setlist.

I realize this is an obscure question, but I figure there's probably at least one person on this forum who knows. What was the "Egyptian music" (as I've heard it described) that was used as an introduction on the P+P '98 tour?

I realize this is an obscure question, but I figure there's probably at least one person on this forum who knows. What was the "Egyptian music" (as I've heard it described) that was used as an introduction on the P+P '98 tour?

Many thanks to Jeff Lester:

Five Bardic Mysteries

Robin Williamson

Release date: 1985

Reissued with Songs of Love & Parting 1994

The Music Corporation TMC 9403

Track Listing:

1. The Spoils of Annwn

2. The Battle of the Trees

3. The Dialogue of the Two Sages

4. The Voyage of Bran, Son of Febal

(used by Page & Plant as introduction music - "The Voyage of Bran")

5. three Celtic Nature Poems

Plant is an enthusiast of Williamson, who was once in The Incredible String Band.

Edited by SteveAJones

Many, many thanks Steve! Is it a spoken-word piece then? Amazon.com describes it thusly:

As a bonus (with 1979's "A Glint at the Kindling"), Five Bardic Mysteries has been added. Originally released by Robin on his own label in 1985 as a cassette, these spoken-word pieces demonstrate Robin's remarkable storytelling abilities. In fact, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant used 'The Dialogue Of The Two Sages' as part of their No Quarter show in the mid 90's. These 5 tales act as a perfect accompaniment to 'Five Denials On Merlin's Grave'.

Edited by FireOpal

Many, many thanks Steve! Is it a spoken-word piece then? Amazon.com describes it thusly:

As a bonus (with 1979's "A Glint at the Kindling"), Five Bardic Mysteries has been added. Originally released by Robin on his own label in 1985 as a cassette, these spoken-word pieces demonstrate Robin's remarkable storytelling abilities. In fact, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant used 'The Dialogue Of The Two Sages' as part of their No Quarter show in the mid 90's. These 5 tales act as a perfect accompaniment to 'Five Denials On Merlin's Grave'.

The 5 Bardic Mysteries is a lovely album. It is all very much in the same vein as the Voyage of Bran spoken with harp accompaniament and Robin Williamson tells the stories in his fantastic Scottish accent. He has a great voice for story telling B)

It did change over the years and became more coarse but the Bardic Mysteries are well worth listening too.

This is a mad version of No Quarter from the 98 tour of course...

this is an excellent show: the Bizarrefest in germany. rained like hell and the soon-to-part duo played for their lives it seemed. i have this show and found one of my faves from it on doob-tube

• 3 weeks later...