Zoso Amp

Cav

This is more a queation about the history of that amp then the tech aspect. Is the amp the same one or are there several with the Zoso sigil (Thanks- SteveAJones :D )? Also when did it first appear with Jimmy? The last thing i wanted to ask was aside from the album when was the first time fans started to see Jimmy ( or Zep, or Both) use this symbol?

Regards

Cav

The "Zoso" symbol is printed on the mesh which covers the speakers in the cabinet. This mesh is easily interchangable and doesn't necessarily indicate that Jimmy is using the one amp. He may have had several Zoso amps at any one time, and putting the symbol onto a new amp is not hard.

First time the symbols appeared - I know that they had them by Feb 1972, and probably earlier - I would hazard a guess and say they would have had them by the time they played the first shows post release of the fourth album

I could be mistaken but I believe the last time it appeared onstage was at the first of two Knebworth Festival warm-ups at the Falkoner Theater in Copenhagen on July 23rd 1979.

That night the stage equipment failed repeatedly during setup which prevented a proper soundcheck and the show started two hours late. They played the same venue the next night I don't think it was on the amp. If I am correct, it was probably as a result of the

equipment having been worked on and possibly swapped out in-between shows.

I am wondering why the attempt buy Marshall has never been made to release a sig series Jimmy Page (Zoso) amp?

I would guess it's because while his guitars have many unique characterics, a 100 watt

stack amp (or whatever) is a 100 watt stack amp.

Thanks for the info. Iam wondering why the attempt buy Marshall has never been made to release a sig series Jimmy Page (Zoso) amp?

Thanks again

Cav

Probably because no one would want a tone that bad. Out of all the Les Paul/Marshall users of that generation only Page managed to make it sound like a mosquito in a bucket.

Thanks everyone. In referance to Marshall releasing a amp i just thought because they have ther signature series with other "Rockstars" they may want to sign a true Rock God.

Regards

Cav

1st let's be clear hear, we're not talking about an amp we're talking about a speaker cab (4x12 to be specific). The amps were 100 watt Marshall's. I'm not sure what era the various cabs he used were from. Also, I'm pretty sure the logo was a cutout of sorts pinned to the grill cloth, not printed onto the grill cloth.

I would guess it's because while his guitars have many unique characteristics, a 100 watt

stack amp (or whatever) is a 100 watt stack amp.

That isn't true at all. There are many, many variations on the "100 watt plexi" circuit. Add that to the fact that Page ran his with different output tubes at different points in his career and who knows what they tweaked in there for accommodate the KT-88 tubes? I've heard rumors of a Jimmy Page amp. If they will do a Hendrix and a Randy Rhoads one there is no reason not to do a page one. The Hendrix and Rhoads amps were bone stock.

I just watched a bit of TSRTS and the stacked cabs appear to be 70's cabs while the half stacks look like older 60's block logo Marshall cabs. No telling what kind of speakers he had in 'em. My guess would be stock but in the early Yardbirds days I know he had switched speakers about in some Rickenbacker Transonic cabs and put Jensen's or something like that. I can't remember now.

In the Yardbirds days he pulled a swift trick on some unsuspecting music shop owner. He bought a set of blown out Fender cabs and replaced the speakers with Vox. As Fender was imported they were very expensive, and he sold the working "Fender" cabinets at a tidy profit.

I could be mistaken but I believe the last time it appeared onstage was at the first of two Knebworth Festival warm-ups at the Falkoner Theater in Copenhagen on July 23rd 1979.

That night the stage equipment failed repeatedly during setup which prevented a proper soundcheck and the show started two hours late. They played the same venue the next night I don't think it was on the amp. If I am correct, it was probably as a result of the

equipment having been worked on and possibly swapped out in-between shows.

He used one at the o2 reunion.

That isn't true at all. There are many, many variations on the "100 watt plexi" circuit. Add that to the fact that Page ran his with different output tubes at different points in his career and who knows what they tweaked in there for accommodate the KT-88 tubes?

There's a guy on the Les Paul Form who had access to the scematics & built a replica "Page" plexi, KT88s & all. The soundclips he posted over there were incredible - there was a definite something extra from those valves that you just don't get from anything else.

...I've heard rumors of a Jimmy Page amp. If they will do a Hendrix and a Randy Rhoads one there is no reason not to do a page one. The Hendrix and Rhoads amps were bone stock.

The "signature" amp photographed at the O2 was, in fact, a normal Marshall Jimi Hendrix signature amp, with the Zoso inscription added to comemorate the gig. It was reported to be the back up amp (ie - not actually used).

Archived