• Mike Huckabee
    • John McCain
    • Barack Obama
    • Ron Paul
    • Mitt Romney
    • Bill Richardson
    • Fred Thompson

Flashing Back to a Jan. 2008 Message by Rev. Jeremiah Wright :

On Sunday morning - amid intensified crossfire between Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton and Obama over the use of race in the Democratic presidential campaign - Some argue that blacks should vote for Clinton "because her husband was good to us," he continued.

"That's not true," he thundered. "He did the same thing to us that he did to Monica Lewinsky."

Many in the crowd were on their feet, applauding - amazed, amused and moved by the fiery rhetoric of their preacher, who is about to retire.

Dwight Hopkins, a professor in the divinity school at the University of Chicago who is a member of Trinity United, was not surprised by Wright's comments about the Clinton administration on Sunday.

Bill Clinton, he said, may have been from the South and appointed blacks to his Cabinet and opened an office later in Harlem, "but if you really look at the policies he backed, many were worse for blacks than those of the pre-civil rights days."

Hopkins pointed to Clinton's welfare reform policies and the criticism of activist Randall Robinson of Clinton policies toward black Caribbean countries such as Haiti.

Fox news via Hufpo

Hillary Clinton and John McCain both ripped into Barack Obama Friday for reportedly saying residents of small-town America “cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them” out of bitterness over lost jobs.

His opponents interpreted the remarks as arrogant, but Obama stood by the statement Friday and even elaborated on the argument that many people in small towns are bitter and frustrated with the status quo in Washington.

Obama made the original comments while speaking to a group of wealthy California donors in San Francisco over the weekend. The Huffington Post quotes him specifically singling out towns in Pennsylvania, where he’s trying to woo voters and overcome Clinton’s lead in the polls before the state’s April 22 primary.

“Our challenge is to get people persuaded that we can make progress when there’s not evidence of that in their daily lives,” he said. “You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing’s replaced them. And they fell through the Clinton administration, and the Bush administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are going to regenerate and they have not.

“And it’s not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.”

The comments, which can also be heard in an audio recording later posted on the Huffington Web site, immediately became fodder for the campaigns of Clinton, Obama’s rival for the Democratic nomination, and McCain, his potential Republican challenger.

“Pennsylvanians don’t need a president who looks down on them. They need a president who stands up for them, who fights for them,” Clinton said Friday afternoon at a campaign stop in Philadelphia. She said the Pennsylvanians she’s met aren’t bitter, but “resilient” and “positive.”

McCain adviser Steve Schmidt called Obama’s statement “remarkable” and “extremely revealing.”

“It shows an elitism and condescension towards hardworking Americans that is nothing short of breathtaking,” Schmidt said. “It is hard to imagine someone running for president of the United States who is more out of touch with average Americans.”

Schmidt also said it shows Obama views the people he’s trying to relate to with “contempt.”

Obama directly addressed the growing furor Friday at a campaign stop in Indiana. Many working-class people have lost jobs to overseas operations, lost their pensions, lost their health care and haven’t gotten any help from Democrats or Republicans, he said.

“And of course they’re bitter. Of course they’re frustrated,” Obama told a crowd of supporters. “You would be too — in fact many of you are, because the same thing has happened here in Indiana. … Nobody is thinking about you.”

He also said that this disillusionment with government’s inaction on economic issues makes people base their votes on other issues, such as guns, gay marriage and religion.

The response set off another round of complaints from the Clinton and McCain campaigns that Obama is out of touch with ordinary people.

Obama, who consistently leads Clinton among highly educated and wealthy voters, has tried to make up ground with middle-class America, where Clinton is strong. He has managed to score several wins in rural states like Idaho, Kansas and North Dakota.

But recent comments from him and his wife Michelle have occasionally been interpreted as too high-minded.

Michelle Obama, for instance, drew criticism in February for saying she was “proud” of her country for the first time in her adult life.

“It comes off very badly,” Democratic strategist Kirsten Powers said of Obama’s small-town America remarks. “They are things that I think in a liberal world sound totally normal, and outside of that world I don’t know that he appreciates how it sounds. And it just sounds very elitist, and it sounds like he’s looking down on people.”

Pennsylvania GOP Chairman Robert Gleason Jr. even weighed in, releasing a statement saying the comments “reveal a condescending elitism.”

Of course, Clinton would have a hard time arguing she’s just like those small-town Pennsylvania voters. She and her husband’s newly released tax returns showed they earned nearly $110 million since leaving the White House, compared with the Obamas’ meager millions earned in the same period.

Click here to read the story and hear Obama’s comments in The Huffington Post.

FOX News’ Bonney Kapp contributed to this report.

If Hillary wins Penn. by a good margin, i would'nt be surpise if you see more superdelegates jump the Obama ship. I still think Obama is getting the nod, but I think Hillary rather see mccain in than Obama.

We'll see... I still think Obama's gonna get the nomination in the end...

But if Hillary and Obama don't stop tearing the Democratic party up, McCain might be our next President... and that, my friends, is a bad thing.

We'll see... I still think Obama's gonna get the nomination in the end...

But if Hillary and Obama don't stop tearing the Democratic party up, McCain might be our next President... and that, my friends, is a bad thing.

Well thats what you think. Hillary might be saving the country right now. IMHO

I just keep laughing my ass off everytime I think about how stupid the Democratic Party is. First of all the Dems couldn't even beat George W - TWICE! And now the Dems are stepping all over their own dicks again with these two unsavory and completly un-electable canidates. The whole thing is just hysterical.

If people think the 'Swift Boat' adds for Kerry were damaging - just wait and see the ads for Obama (if he gets the nomination) and this racist anti-American preacher that he seemed to have no problem with for the last 20 years. If Obama is the Dem's guy; then expect a LANDSLIDE VICTORY for McCain like the Reagan victory in 1984.

And Hillary... or should I say "Annie Oakley" :lol: Does anyone like this horrible wretched nagging woman?

:lol: McCain will win, and we Republicans don't even really like this idiot.

:hysterical:

I just keep laughing my ass off everytime I think about how stupid the Democratic Party is. First of all the Dems couldn't even beat George W - TWICE! And now the Dems are stepping all over their own dicks again with these two unsavory and completly un-electable canidates. The whole thing is just hysterical.

If people think the 'Swift Boat' adds for Kerry were damaging - just wait and see the ads for Obama (if he gets the nomination) and this racist anti-American preacher that he seemed to have no problem with for the last 20 years. If Obama is the Dem's guy; then expect a LANDSLIDE VICTORY for McCain like the Reagan victory in 1984.

And Hillary... or should I say "Annie Oakley" :lol: Does anyone like this horrible wretched nagging woman?

:lol: McCain will win, and we Republicans don't even really like this idiot.

:hysterical:

I have to admit... I really hate the fact that the first election I'm voting in there is no good candidate. I so wish Ron Paul was getting the Repub nomination. I really don't know who I'm gonna vote for. I hate McCain and Clinton, and with every passing day Obama looks less and less viable...

If only Stephen Colbert would run...

Well thats what you think. Hillary might be saving the country right now. IMHO

Do me a favor and explain. I'm not sure if you mean this literally or if you mean by tearing the Democratic Party apart and making McCain a shoe-in for the Presidency... I'd disagree with you heavily on both counts, BTW.

ETA (this is directed to everyone reading, not just you Pb):

Quite honestly, I think it's time to lay the Democratic and Republican parties to rest. They've run their course and can no longer offer any good President. Time to bring in the third parties, IMO.

I love Colbert. He just like Jon Stewart, but his only punchline isn't Pres. Bush. Just like Bill Mahr. I used to love the daily show, but the same joke over and over gets boring after the first 100 episodes.

When Bush is President, the same joke over and over applies.

I love The Daily Show as much as I love The Colbert Report.

Did you know that Jon Stewart is currently (one of) the most trusted name(s) in news?

When Bush is President, the same joke over and over applies.

I love The Daily Show as much as I love The Colbert Report.

Did you know that Jon Stewart is currently (one of) the most trusted name(s) in news?

Yeah becasue he doesn't report anything except Pres. Bush is bad news. I wonder what is he going to do when or If Obama gets in. he may have to find a new job. I tell you one thing, Bill Mahr is gone and will be replaced by Dennis Miller becasue Bill Mahr wont have anything to say, so dennis would just pound Obama like he did with Bill Clinton

Does anyone like this horrible wretched nagging woman?

And why does she have 'Hillary' on her placards? Is she ashamed to put 'Clinton?'

I think most people are sick of both of them.

McCain will win, and we Republicans don't even really like this idiot.

Do you remember that right before 9-11 Arizonans were getting ready to recall him?

9-11 saved his ass for sure.

<_<

Yeah becasue he doesn't report anything except Pres. Bush is bad news. I wonder what is he going to do when or If Obama gets in. he may have to find a new job. I tell you one thing, Bill Mahr is gone and will be replaced by Dennis Miller becasue Bill Mahr wont have anything to say, so dennis would just pound Obama like he did with Bill Clinton

Oh you're wrong. He'll have a lot to talk about. Stewart has already admitted that he thinks both parties are, at this point, wacked. Obviously you haven't heard him ride on Clinton and Obama. Clinton's infamous "3:00 am phone call" commercial has become a staple target for Stewart. He also can't get enough of Obama's failed attempt at bowling. To be quite honest, I get the impression Stewart won't be voting this year.

In fact, I think we'd be more apt to see him step down if McCain gets in, for starters being because Stewart and McCain are best friends. Yeah, that's right... best friends. To this day McCain tries to get Stewart to run... and it's known that McCain doesn't care what party Jon runs in... he just wants Jon in politics. There was a rumor that McCain might ask Jon to be his Vice President, like Huckabee did with Colbert (and that turned out to be legit, btw... obviously, Colbert turned Huckabee down, but offered him the chance to play it up on his show, and Huckabee accepted). Jon, while a Democrat at heart, is not above praising the Republicans where deserved, and he has. He is also not above dissing the Democrats, and oh boy he has.

But Bush is easy to make fun of. Everything Bush does is laughworthy. Everything Bush does is worth a joke. Jon even commented on this- when Bush pulled the "childrens" fumble- by saying: "I don't need your charity" (meaning Bush was handing him stuff to make fun of). If I were in Jon's shoes I'd do the exact same thing, and I think many to most would agree. It's too easy. Bush is easily one of the worst Presidents we have ever had. From his severe lack of public speaking talent to his goofy and almost child-like antics to his tendency to be completely and utterly wrong, I can understand why Stewart is such an outspoken critic of the Bush Administration, and I am, too.

And you obviously never saw Stewart's commentary on the Clinton administration. Oh, he praised Clinton for things, but he bashed Clinton quite a bit more often. There were a lot of things about Clinton and his administration Stewart didn't like.

Stewart is an equal-opportunity basher. If you do something bash-worthy, Stewart will bash it. The fact is, Bush has the most amount of bash-worthy things under his belt. So Stewart jumps.

You may not like his consistent Bush-bashing, but obviously a great majority of Americans enjoy it, as he is the most-watched "News anchor."

Rolling Stone calls Jon Stewart "The Most Trusted Name in News:"

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/653...ed_name_in_news

Al Gore holds quite a high opinion of The Daily Show himself:

http://www.comedycentral.com/motherload/pl...p;is_large=true

"I want to say something about your show, and not just to flatter you, but it makes a point. I know that there are a lot of people here that feel the way I do, that actually, if you want to get through a lot of the nonsense and into the heart of what the most important news of the day is, this is really one of the places to go to get this great... (last three or four words drowned out by audience). I mean, it's true. It's true, Jon."

Truer words were never spoken, IMO.

because Stewart and McCain are best friends.

Everything Bush does is laughworthy. Everything Bush does is worth a joke. Bush is easily one of the worst Presidents we have ever had. From his severe lack of public speaking talent to his goofy and almost child-like antics to his tendency to be completely and utterly wrong, I can understand why Stewart is such an outspoken critic of the Bush Administration, and I am, too.

And you obviously never saw Stewart's commentary on the Clinton administration. Oh, he praised Clinton for things, but he bashed Clinton quite a bit more often. There were a lot of things about Clinton and his administration Stewart didn't like.

Truer words were never spoken, IMO.

It's very sad how American youth trust a comedian. Jon Stewart? Funny, yes. But are you seriously going to talk about politics and mention this guy's name?

McCain and Jon Stewart are not "best friends". Sorry. Celebrities know each other and appear with each other, and are friendly with each other, but that doesn't mean they are best friends.

McCain gets media exposure when a guest on his show. When McCain is a guest on his show, it makes Stewart's show seem more legit because there is a political guest. It's pretty simple.

Bush is President of the United States of America.

Ya know, you are young, and probably just stupid and rebellious like just about every young person is at that time in your life, just like I was also.

I won't completely destroy you for the reasons listed above......

However, you need to open your mind and analyze this on a different level, which you may or may not be capable of.........

Bush, is not an idiot. Bush may not be the most smooth public speaker.

Put yourself in the job, the most difficult job in the world, and picture how to would do. It's not so easy.

It's very sad how American youth trust a comedian. Jon Stewart? Funny, yes. But are you seriously going to talk about politics and mention this guy's name?

It's sucks how America's... what... older people?... trust Lou Dobbs and Bill O'Reilly and so on and so forth.

America's youth are going to trust the person who's going to give them the best and, quite frankly, most balanced view on politics. Lately, what with CNN, Fox, MSNBC, etc, that happens to come from a comedian by the name of Jon Stewart.

Bush is President of the United States of America.

So what? That doesn't mean I have to support him or like him. If we used that ideal with Nixon, he would have been in office post-Watergate.

I don't give two shits that Bush is President. He's a bad President. Pure and simple.

Ya know, you are young, and probably just stupid and rebellious like just about every young person is at that time in your life, just like I was also.

Aw, you're so kind to belittle my thoughts, opinions, and beliefs because I'm so young. It feels so good to be discriminated because of my age. I love it when it's insinuated that because I'm 20-almost-21 years old, my opinion counts for shit.

Please, keep it up...

I won't completely destroy you for the reasons listed above......

However, you need to open your mind and analyze this on a different level, which you may or may not be capable of.........

I'm analyzing it on that level I choose. Not good enough for you? Get over it.

This is my first presidential election. I'm not excited about who I'm being forced to vote for.

Bush, is not an idiot.

Pfft. Coulda fooled me.

Bush may not be the most smooth public speaker.

I nominate this for understatement of the year.

Put yourself in the job, the most difficult job in the world, and picture how to would do. It's not so easy.

Guess that excuses Carter, too, right?

It's sucks how America's... what... older people?... trust Lou Dobbs and Bill O'Reilly and so on and so forth.

America's youth are going to trust the person who's going to give them the best and, quite frankly, most balanced view on politics. Lately, what with CNN, Fox, MSNBC, etc, that happens to come from a comedian by the name of Jon Stewart.

So what? That doesn't mean I have to support him or like him. If we used that ideal with Nixon, he would have been in office post-Watergate.

I don't give two shits that Bush is President. He's a bad President. Pure and simple.

Aw, you're so kind to belittle my thoughts, opinions, and beliefs because I'm so young. It feels so good to be discriminated because of my age. I love it when it's insinuated that because I'm 20-almost-21 years old, my opinion counts for shit.

Please, keep it up...

I'm analyzing it on that level I choose. Not good enough for you? Get over it.

This is my first presidential election. I'm not excited about who I'm being forced to vote for.

Pfft. Coulda fooled me.

I nominate this for understatement of the year.

Guess that excuses Carter, too, right?

Ok, trust a comedian. :rolleyes::D

You don't like Bush because you have been brainwashed for the last 8 years by family, friends, or media to not like him. How can I expect you to have an objective opinion?

Bush is not a bad President. Once again, you have been brainwashed.

I will discriminate against you. First off, your opinions are the result of brainwashing and environmental influence. Secondly, even if you were to view things objectively from your point of view, without any sort of influence, then you wouldn't sound like you sound right now. Unfortunately, your age is evident, and it is a factor.

It's kinda weird you said that, because Obama is going around saying that the Moderators and Hillary were to tuff on him yesterday, and it toke 45 min, to get to issues America wants. No America wants to know if you're a douche bag or a stand up guy. The difference Between Hillary and Obama is a penis. they both have they same ideas on the same issues, so we have to make sure you're not gonna give terrorist like Bill Ayers a voice in America.

People believe Truman made a mistake dropping the bomb, and it was, but he was willing to make that mistake to save American lives. Is obama ready to make that judgment call. If Iran decided to attack American troops, is he able to make the decision to for once and for all end the Iran situation or does he want to go have talk with them, just like Pres. Carter is doing with Hamas, so we don't get cought up with another war. is Obama ready to make decision at all, or he'll just say that the survey that he wrote on, doesn't express his beliefs or will he just vote Present, like he did 150 times in 4 years in the Illinois senate, in which were all main issues.

Archived