The Equal Rights Amendment Thread

zepbaby

Has it's day come and gone?

Is it a double edged sword?

Was it written by sexist feminists to run over men?

Is it used for reverse discrimination?

How do other countries approach it and feel about our E.R.A?

Throughout recorded history was equal rights a problem?

zepbaby

Women, minorities and gays already have equal rights which are guaranteed by the United States Constitution and effectivly enforced by the Federal courts. So what would be the point in an amendment to guarantee rights that are already guaranteed?

The defunct E.R.A. was nothing more than liberal "feels like/feels good" political hocus pocus.

No wonder it died such an unclebrated death.

You really think they're "effectively enforced" by the federal courts?

Women's rights HAVE come a long way. I remember how things were in the '60s and '70s, and there are more opportunites for women in a lot of ways... but discrimination does still exist... it's just more subtle than it used to be.

equal rights has gone completely out of control where its no longer equal all these people which is everyone who's not a white male straight christian legal american(me) get all this special treatment.

:mellow:

Wow... let me tote up all the special treatment I've gotten because I'm female. :rolleyes:

I could guess all the free drinks, doors being opened for you, toilet seats being put down, and almost every womens athletic team loses money and only survives because of title 9. The local colleges had to have a womens golf team, so they basically said to any girl who signed up for school, if you're willing to golf, even if you never golf before, they would give you a scholarship. It also was true for some other womens sports.

I don't see any difference between a E.R.A. amendment and one that says only white men can vote. Any law that gives power to a select few, is a bad law.

It's a great idea. There's still a lot of discrimination in this country and more needs to be done about it, if not everyone is going to stop there needs to be laws insuring everyone recives equal treatment and if not there's laws to punish those who are to thick to get around silly prejudices. This is one of those things white males tend to write off because they are the most priviliaged group in this nation. I don't want to graduate from university with a degree just to be hired in as some stupid secretary who has to answer phones with a fake smile while some white male with a high school education gets the job I have more understanding of because of education.

Well if this law pass, they should also pass a law that states you can't hire friends, because thats how most jobs work. When i got in the union, first thing anybody says to you is who do you know, and when i replied that i just got in on my own account, they looked at me like i was an black man at a KKK rally.

Has it's day come and gone?

Is it a double edged sword?

Was it written by sexist feminists to run over men?

Is it used for reverse discrimination?

How do other countries approach it and feel about our E.R.A?

Throughout recorded history was equal rights a problem?

zepbaby

zepbaby, are u going to contribute to any of these discussions......

Or are you just only going to bring up as many hot-button issues that you can think of ? :D

equal rights has gone completely out of control where its no longer equal all these people which is everyone who's not a white male straight christian legal american(me) get all this special treatment.

Special treatment??

We've certainly had enough "special treatment" from the white male straight christian American over the last 200 years...

The beatings, the lynchings, the exploitations...yes plenty of "special treatments" there

zepbaby, are u going to contribute to any of these discussions......

Or are you just only going to bring up as many hot-button issues that you can think of ? :D

I don't see the point if he's not going to contribute. It's like, CNN Spam.

Special treatment??

We've certainly had enough "special treatment" from the white male straight christian American over the last 200 years...

The beatings, the lynchings, the exploitations...yes plenty of "special treatments" there

I drive by a place in West Hollywood that advertises for all of those things right under their sign that says "Bathhouse Parties" and "Private Encounter Rooms."

:huh:

The ERA was never meant to be.

1. It was taken wrong and written at the worst possible time.

2. They tried to make all men look like idiots or cavemen.

3. It turned American evolution back at least 100 years.

4. Now all a woman have to do is scream discrimination or rape and your doing 15 years to life.

I believe in equality but not by oppressing others.

Work within the constitution. Dont write amendments and legalese until it no longer makes any sense.

Women?

Dont ride the fence if you want men to take control and then turn when it's convenient. Stick to one thing or the other.

We are the laughing stock of other countries because of nonsense like this.

PAINT the little white picket fence white, dont ride it.

Men arent responsible for history 150 years ago, when you look at the world through rose colored revenge glasses, you wont progress, you will digress :blink:

Yes I will vote for a women for president, if she proves she can cut it. She helped her hubby through some hard times and he did with her too. Does show they are at least commited to family.

zepbaby

Archived