The Southern/Lynyrd Skynyrd Thread

From RollingStone.com:

Kid Rock, Peter Wolf, Lynyrd Skynyrd Raise the Roof at the Garden

20838592-20838593-slarge.jpg

Last night at Madison Square Garden, Kid Rock brought his Rock and Roll Revival Tour north of the Mason-Dixon for a crowd-pleasing review that included guests Peter Wolf, Reverend Run and Lynyrd Skynyrd, who were playing the Garden for the first time in their forty year career. Click below for photos and stories from last night’s gig.

Kid Rock, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Peter Wolf Lead Rock and Roll Revival Tour at Madison Square Garden

You know, I used to hate Kid Rock, but know Im really liking his music. Its very southern sounding and bluesy, im soo glad he moved away from the rap rock crapola. SKYNYRD SHOW IN A WEEK :thumbsup:

Years ago, on Skynyrd's official message board their archivist insisted there was nothing else left in the vault but ever since then there's been all kinds of stuff released (usually just one or two rarities tacked onto a compilation, a marketing tactic which I loathe). Also highly recommended is the Deluxe Edition of Gimme Back My Bullets that comes with a DVD of their Old Grey Whistle Test performance from the same time period when they were down to two lead guitarists. Believe you me, it still kicks ass.

Cool. I had the Freebird performance from the Old Grey Whistle Test that I video recorded off BBC2 but I lost it ages ago.

Looks like I have some purchasing to do. :D

c038_1.jpg

A flyer from the Homeland in the early days of Top sorry about the water mark

P1003917.jpg

Here is My Skynyrd Tattoo It was done in three stages started it in 1988 finished in 2004.

Edited by alwizard03

You know, I used to hate Kid Rock, but know Im really liking his music. Its very southern sounding and bluesy, im soo glad he moved away from the rap rock crapola. SKYNYRD SHOW IN A WEEK :thumbsup:

I saw him on Letterman recently. The song he performed seemed to be nothing more than a rewrite of Sweet Home Alabama. Can't say I cared for that any more than I ever cared for his version of rap/rock.

From Lynyrdskynyrd.com

LYNYRD SKYNYRD’S BILLY POWELL UNDERGOES EMERGENCY SURGERY

Nashville, TN – Billy Powell, one of the original members and keyboard player for Rock & Roll Hall of Fame members Lynyrd Skynyrd, has underwent an emergency partial revision hip replacement surgery in Jacksonville, Florida on Wednesday, May 21.

“Billy's hip had continued to give him dislocation problems and it was determined that a revision was the only possible solution,” says Lynyrd Skynyrd manager Ross Schilling of Vector Management.

Billy will be recovering over the next 3-6 weeks and will have to wear a hip brace for the next 3 months. It is expected that Billy will re-join Lynyrd Skynyrd on tour sometime in July. The band will tour with an interim keyboardist in the mean time, while Billy recovers.

Edited by Jahfin

From Lynyrdskynyrd.com

LYNYRD SKYNYRD’S BILLY POWELL UNDERGOES EMERGENCY SURGERY

Nashville, TN – Billy Powell, one of the original members and keyboard player for Rock & Roll Hall of Fame members Lynyrd Skynyrd, has underwent an emergency partial revision hip replacement surgery in Jacksonville, Florida on Wednesday, May 21.

“Billy's hip had continued to give him dislocation problems and it was determined that a revision was the only possible solution,” says Lynyrd Skynyrd manager Ross Schilling of Vector Management.

Billy will be recovering over the next 3-6 weeks and will have to wear a hip brace for the next 3 months. It is expected that Billy will re-join Lynyrd Skynyrd on tour sometime in July. The band will tour with an interim keyboardist in the mean time, while Billy recovers.

I saw the Skyrnrd Concert last night and it was AWESOME!. I wish Billy was there, i bet it would of been better. Who's the guy replacing him for now?

Also, there is this lady that has guitar lessons right after me in which I speak too sometimes, when she saw me wearing a Skynyrd shirt, she told me that she was the cousin if Billy, i thought that was cool.

Anyway, I hope Billy gets better.

littlefeatmelissaetherigerobinthomp.jpg

magazinearticleaboutlittlefeat.jpg

Little Feat after Lowell George still a verry good show but I sure miss Him.

Melissa Etherige broke a string and fell down once during the show she actually was quite good.

also the Robin Thompson Band.

I like some post Lowell Little Feat but a lot of is closer to Michael McDonald era Doobie Brothers than it is the Little Feat I know and love.

Melissa Etheridge (with Del Amtri) is one of the best live shows I've ever seen. Melissa was on tour for her second album at the time, Brave and Crazy.

Cool to see the Robbin Thompson Band mentioned here. Back when radio actually played local and regional artists they used to get a lot of airplay on WQDR and WRDU out of Raleigh.

I like some post Lowell Little Feat but a lot of is closer to Michael McDonald era Doobie Brothers than it is the Little Feat I know and love.

Melissa Etheridge (with Del Amtri) is one of the best live shows I've ever seen. Melissa was on tour for her second album at the time, Brave and Crazy.

Cool to see the Robbin Thompson Band mentioned here. Back when radio actually played local and regional artists they used to get a lot of airplay on WQDR and WRDU out of Raleigh.

I agree on all three accounts .I have wanted to see Her again but have not made it.She said at the show the last time She was in Norfolk She had played a really small venue and now She was moving up to the bigger arenas and She was going to releace Her new lp in a few weeks. At the time She only had the one cd on the streets but She played a few songs from the second lp.Robin Thompson was pretty good.Little Feat did put on a good show and did a lot of extended jamming like they always do .

Speaking of the Feat, they have a new album coming out soon called Join the Band that features a vast array of special guest stars including Jimmy Buffett, slydeco guitar whiz Sonny Landreth, Chris Robinson and many others. You can read more about it at their site here.

Speaking of the Feat, they have a new album coming out soon called Join the Band that features a vast array of special guest stars including Jimmy Buffett, slydeco guitar whiz Sonny Landreth, Chris Robinson and many others. You can read more about it at their site here.

I will definetly buy the album but it looks like if I want to see them again I will have to travel .

The album definitely looks interesting but I don't know how in the fuck Brooks & Dunn ended up on there. Still, it may be worth checking out.

As for Feat live, I haven't seen them since they opened for the Allman Brothers years ago at Walnut Creek in Raleigh but I don't rule out seeing them again sometime in the future. Occasionally they hit some of the larger clubs in this area so I imagine they'll be back around sometime in the not too distant future.

HPIM3579.jpg

I posted this on the post your tickets thread but it is Southern Rock related .The Home area of Black Oak Arkansas

HPIM3578.jpg

If you look at the autographed photo you can see the population has really boomed in the past 9 or 10 years.

BLACKOAKAUTOGRAPHS.jpg

I know this is from like the first page, but I just wanted to say how totally badass it is that you met Charlie Daniels, alwizard! :thumbsup:

I like Lynyrd Skynyrd, though I don't know too many songs other than the radio standards. I should really try to get into them more sometime, especially since my radio station seems to have an extremely limited supply of Skynyrd songs. If I hear Gimme Three Steps ONE MORE TIME, I'm going to pry out my radio and throw it out the car window. You'd think it would be Sweet Home Alabama all the time, but I swear I hear this one more often. And they were totally holding out on me with Tuesday's Gone. I don't think I ever heard it until like last year, and I was all like, "What the hell? This is an awesome song! I should've heard this a zillion times before now!" Oh well, at least they didn't wear it the heck out like GTS. Yeezus.

I know this is from like the first page, but I just wanted to say how totally badass it is that you met Charlie Daniels, alwizard! :thumbsup:

I like Lynyrd Skynyrd, though I don't know too many songs other than the radio standards. I should really try to get into them more sometime, especially since my radio station seems to have an extremely limited supply of Skynyrd songs. If I hear Gimme Three Steps ONE MORE TIME, I'm going to pry out my radio and throw it out the car window. You'd think it would be Sweet Home Alabama all the time, but I swear I hear this one more often. And they were totally holding out on me with Tuesday's Gone. I don't think I ever heard it until like last year, and I was all like, "What the hell? This is an awesome song! I should've heard this a zillion times before now!" Oh well, at least they didn't wear it the heck out like GTS. Yeezus.

You cant go wrong with any of the early Skynyrd and a good Charlie Daniels greatest Hits album.

If you like them expand a little Wet Willie,Molly Hatchett,Marshall Tucker,The Outlaws,Allman Brothers,Greg Allman has some good solo Albums also.I may have missed a few in a hurry have to go to school this AM .Yeah You heard right be 50 years old in a month or so and I still have to go to School.It never freakin ends .It should be interesting it is Fall Rescue Training a four Day course on climbing and rescuing people who dont climb well.I have been climbing since I was a Kid and have never had to be rescued .My only fall I landed on solid ground and got up on my own power I was however laid up for several months reaquired surgery and took a full year before it got back to normal.So I guess I will go to Fall Rescue training and learn to rescue other poor bastards like myself .

Take Care Support Southern Rock We need it.