Removing A Stratocasters Back Plate

pinky

Both of my Strats don't have back plates. Really doesn't do anything, exposes the springs of the trem system. Which can create some cool feedback-type stuff if your rake them with your fingers. But other than that, nothing really.

All the backplate really does is protect the trem system. Removing the plate just means the workings of your tremolo would be less protected...which I guess isn't too much to worry about. I've never heard of anyone playing without a backplate. I think I'll give it a shot.

All the backplate really does is protect the trem system. Removing the plate just means the workings of your tremolo would be less protected...which I guess isn't too much to worry about. I've never heard of anyone playing without a backplate. I think I'll give it a shot.

Stevie Ray Vaughn did that with all his guitars.

I always leave off the backplate on my Strats, for two reasons. First, as Humbucker said, it's easier to restring the guitar, not to mention if the end of a broken string gets hung up in the trem block, it's easier to fish it out. Also, If you decide to detune, say to Eb or D for a song, it's a quick adjustment to tighten the spring claw to compensate for the changed tension, particularly if you keep your trem floating, as opposed to down against the body. I keep mine tight against the body because I don't do so much whammying, so I don't need to pull up on the bar. I prefer to keep it tight so when I bend a note, the other strings don't go flat. But if you're a whammy guy who pulls up, there's another reason to keep access easy.

I think it enhances midrange and sustain some. I can't imagine it doin much, but I am positive I read somethin like that somewhere.

I can't imabine it making a tonal difference in any way. When mounted, it's not a conductive part of the structure. When removed, any leakage of sound would be so negligible, I can't imagine making any real difference. I've owned many Strats (and other tremolo equipped guitars (Music Man, Carvin, Jackson) over the years, and I've never noyiced any difference in sound with the cover on or off. It's always been an access/convenience preference. Of course, that's just my opinion.

I can't imabine it making a tonal difference in any way. When mounted, it's not a conductive part of the structure. When removed, any leakage of sound would be so negligible, I can't imagine making any real difference. I've owned many Strats (and other tremolo equipped guitars (Music Man, Carvin, Jackson) over the years, and I've never noyiced any difference in sound with the cover on or off. It's always been an access/convenience preference. Of course, that's just my opinion.

OK, so why would I have read that in a guitar magazine, then. I said in my post, that I couldn't imagine it doin much. So try not bein such a douche bag.

OK, so why would I have read that in a guitar magazine, then. I said in my post, that I couldn't imagine it doin much. So try not bein such a douche bag.

I said it was just my opinion. You even quoted that in your post. Try not being such an emema tip.

Wow, calm down.

If you can hear the difference, then it's a worthwhile modification for you.

I'm with Evster on this one.

RB

Archived