Whatever happened to/remember when?

ledbaby

Whatever happened to guys holding doors for girls?

I still do it and I'm sure it comes back around to me.

Whatever happened to "Netzero?" Used to be you could log onto the www for that @ Netzero.

Whatever happened to apologies? Seems to me it unruffles so many feathers and opens new doors.

People just miss many things that were good and true. Now it's all plastic and fast fast "gimme now."

>>>

:angry: I think it was about the 1980s, when we really got stuck into 'isms' - from that moment, the writing was on the wall, writ large.

Just for example, you can't behave like a good old fashioned gent (or lady) nowadays without being tagged as sexist :thumbdown:

Good thing some of us have never paid much respect to 'isms' and carry on as we always did. :)

Edited by TheZeppyWanderer

Whatever happened to good sitcoms like "Who's the Boss" and "Full House". Remember when "The Honeymooners" and "I Love Lucy" were on the tube, funny stuff.

Yeah,

The thing's they consider funny nowadays is just what I call humorless.

Whatever happened to playing in the woods. May sound silly for some, but we would leave the house and go into the woods and play for hours and hours.

Games?

We had toys and games, but none of them would beat what you made up like war games. Kid's now would probably get arrested.

We made up our own flipping games and flew with it. We would make up something and make the rules as we went along. We couldn't wait to get out of the house.

People need air and freedom. I think that's part of the problem, people too tied into machines. I know you've heard it before, but if you bring some of these things back who knows? I guess that's one good thing about the suburbs. In the cities you can't even see the sky :)

Yeah,

Whatever happened to playing in the woods. May sound silly for some, but we would leave the house and go into the woods and play for hours and hours.

Games?

We had toys and games, but none of them would beat what you made up like war games. Kid's now would probably get arrested.

We made up our own flipping games and flew with it. We would make up something and make the rules as we went along. We couldn't wait to get out of the house.

People need air and freedom. I think that's part of the problem, people too tied into machines. I know you've heard it before, but if you bring some of these things back who knows? I guess that's one good thing about the suburbs. In the cities you can't even see the sky :)

Well when you play in the woods nowadays you wind up with Lyme's disease, lol. But i get your point. I loved playing in dirt and fields where you could run around and walking in the woods to the nearby stream. It was adventurous and got your imagination flowing and developed brain power.

Edited by ~tangerine~

Whatever happened to guys holding doors for girls?

Well that was back in the days when there were clearly defined roles for men and women. Men were the boss, the breadwinner, and women were the homemakers, and because in those days Men were the top of the heap, the women got the pay-off of being treated chivalrously

Similar to the way in which 19th Century Upper Class people were expected to treat their servants with respect and dignity...

In those days a women's position was definately inferior to that of a man, but the man would show his manners, his enlightenment by treating a woman with respect and doing chivalrous things like taking his hat off to her and opening the door for her...

Just for example, you can't behave like a good old fashioned gent (or lady) nowadays without being tagged as sexist :thumbdown:

Good thing some of us have never paid much respect to 'isms' and carry on as we always did. :)

Very well said :)

Well that was back in the days when there were clearly defined roles for men and women. Men were the boss, the breadwinner, and women were the homemakers, and because in those days Men were the top of the heap, the women got the pay-off of being treated chivalrously

Similar to the way in which 19th Century Upper Class people were expected to treat their servants with respect and dignity...

In those days a women's position was definately inferior to that of a man, but the man would show his manners, his enlightenment by treating a woman with respect and doing chivalrous things like taking his hat off to her and opening the door for her...

There's a difference Gainsbarre. You can be a gentleman without using it to hold people down. I think you will find is many of the schools it's taught as respect, not holding someone down. I mean I wanted to make sure people see this point. You get me, you can abuse about anything which gives power. Money is a perfect example.

Gaines has a very good point here. What happens when roles aren't clear or they are swapped? You have a person learning it for the first time(1). Many aren't ready for this coming century :)

Thank's Gaines.

<edited for continuity> (1)

Edited by ledbaby

Yeah,

Games?

That sounds a lot like my childhood. We live in a woods, and would play for hours out there.. building 'log cabins' out of branches, riding our bikes down the dirt paths, picking wildflowers for Mom..

I see myself growing away from that carefree sense as I grow older.. and it worries me. I'm trying to find ways to get it back.

That sounds a lot like my childhood. We live in a woods, and would play for hours out there.. building 'log cabins' out of branches, riding our bikes down the dirt paths, picking wildflowers for Mom..

I see myself growing away from that carefree sense as I grow older.. and it worries me. I'm trying to find ways to get it back.

You sound like I know you lol. Amazing how a nice long walk in the country with lot's of air and green can just make your day. I can now see why people are trying to preserve so many thing's. Many things you can replace, but not good green earth, soil or blue skys.

Edited by ledbaby

^^I agree. I'm so glad summer is just around the corner here. Being outside with fresh air, sunshine, and an expansive landscape brings a very refreshing and calming feeling. It's hard to describe it. I also like to take long drives at sunset whenever I can and listen to some great music (usually Zep :) ) It helps to clear my mind and allows me to get back in touch with myself.

I miss cheers....

Whatever happened to vinyl. Had a teen asking me "what are those big round black things?" We looked at each other and started laughing. I thought she was joking and she wasn't.

Same thing for televisons without remotes.

"You mean you can change the channel without a remote? What are you a Genie or what?"

I miss cheers....

Whatever happened to vinyl. Had a teen asking me "what are those big round black things?" We looked at each other and started laughing. I thought she was joking and she wasn't.

"You mean you can change the channel without a remote? What are you a Genie or what?"

^

When they first came out they were called "Clickers" and the knob would actually turn each time you clicked the single button on it.

I remember when I was a little boy living in Virginia I would sit on the curb waiting for the Mr Softee ice cream truck with the soft serve ice cream. Now you just get those funky little crack dealer vans that race through the neigborhood on two wheels. :o

5cb4e032.jpg

Does anyone still have these where they live? :mellow:

436177f6.jpg

When ever I crank up the generator on one of our company vehicles it makes me want an ice cream cone :D

I miss cheers....

That is terrible. I'm a teenager and I only listen to cd's if I don't have it on vinyl. I love my turntable, it is my favourite way to listen to music.

Anyway, we used to have an ice cream man, but since gas got so high he quit.

There's a difference Gainsbarre. You can be a gentleman without using it to hold people down. I think you will find is many of the schools it's taught as respect, not holding someone down. I mean I wanted to make sure people see this point. You get me, you can abuse about anything which gives power. Money is a perfect example.

Gaines has a very good point here. What happens when roles aren't clear or they are swapped? You have a person learning it for the first time(1). Many aren't ready for this coming century :)

Thank's Gaines.

<edited for continuity> (1)

My husband and I were meeting with someone earlier this evening and the man we were meeting with made a comment about how money and the knowledge and act of treating people with dignity and respect aren't always related. He made the comment in the context of how he's witnessed how badly some people treat those who work for them. As for things like holding doors open for women, letting them enter a room first, opening the car door, etc., my husband always does this - and, in his case, it doesn't have anything to do with thinking that women are inferior. It is how he was raised and it is just part of what he was taught as good manners. One of the reasons that I was so attracted to him was that, from the very beginning, he treated me with respect - and that's never faltered.

Edited by MadScreamingGallery

My husband and I were meeting with someone earlier this evening and the man we were meeting with made a comment about how money and the knowledge and act of treating people with dignity and respect aren't always related. He made the comment in the context of how he's witnessed how badly some people treat those who work for them. As for things like holding doors open for women, letting them enter a room first, opening the car door, etc., my husband always does this - and, in his case, it doesn't have anything to do with thinking that women are inferior. It is how he was raised and it is just part of what he was taught as good manners. One of the reasons that I was so attracted to him was that, from the very beginning, he treated me with respect - and that's never faltered.

I remember when Bumm Philips was coaching the Saints and when at home in the Dome or any other indoor venue he would never wear his hat.

I always hold the door even for a guy *under the three step rule ofcourse* it's called courtesy and really has nothing to do with any kind of dominance. As far as I'm concerned the roles are still defined it's just carried out in different ways. :rolleyes:

I remember when Bumm Philips was coaching the Saints and when at home in the Dome or any other indoor venue he would never wear his hat.

I always hold the door even for a guy *under the three step rule ofcourse* it's called courtesy and really has nothing to do with any kind of dominance. As far as I'm concerned the roles are still defined it's just carried out in different ways. :rolleyes:

I never thought that a man holding a door open for me (or any other woman...or man) meant dominance but I have heard other women say it does. :rolleyes: I just never saw it that way. It often happens that when I am entering or exiting a place through a door, a man will reach out his arm and open the door for me or motion for me to pass through first. As you said, to me it is courtesy and good manners and I've never interpreted it as a dominance/power thing.

^

When they first came out they were called "Clickers" and the knob would actually turn each time you clicked the single button on it.

I remember when I was a little boy living in Virginia I would sit on the curb waiting for the Mr Softee ice cream truck with the soft serve ice cream. Now you just get those funky little crack dealer vans that race through the neigborhood on two wheels. :o

5cb4e032.jpg

Does anyone still have these where they live? :mellow:

436177f6.jpg

When ever I crank up the generator on one of our company vehicles it makes me want an ice cream cone :D

The Ice Cream Man is still in Virginia; he doesn't come to our neighborhood, but he comes to our pool! :D

Please pardon the language here but I couldn't resist! (Eddie Murphy's Ice Cream Man skit)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2JfMCBh1sJQ&feature=related

As for things like holding doors open for women, letting them enter a room first, opening the car door, etc., my husband always does this - and, in his case, it doesn't have anything to do with thinking that women are inferior. It is how he was raised and it is just part of what he was taught as good manners.

This should be obvious - how anyone could twist these actions into something else really has an agenda. I do these things for all women, not just my wife or mother - strangers, young and old, families, even for a guy if he's close enough behind me. Usually the latter does not even seem to appreciate it - but it's been engrained into what I was taught. I've seen guys practically knock my wife over going through doors, if I drop her off where the parking is difficult. If that's the type of animal that some would prefer, you certainly can have your pick, these days...

This should be obvious - how anyone could twist these actions into something else really has an agenda. I do these things for all women, not just my wife or mother - strangers, young and old, families, even for a guy if he's close enough behind me. Usually the latter does not even seem to appreciate it - but it's been engrained into what I was taught. I've seen guys practically knock my wife over going through doors, if I drop her off where the parking is difficult. If that's the type of animal that some would prefer, you certainly can have your pick, these days...

It is obvious but, unfortunately, people with agendas and/or axes to grind will find any excuse to twist actions or misinterpret words in order to suit their own needs or motives.

I'm beginning to notice a small change in the attitude of a lot of younger people when it comes to this type of thing. More often than not, they seem to appriciate these gestures and are sometimes suprised when you open a door etc. They are quick to say thank you and, seem suprised when you do it for them. I've had many do the same for me and I alway's thank them and exchange a few kind words. We did go through a period when it wasn't the case but as I said, I'm beginning to see a change.

^^I hope so :) I hold doors open for people as well. Not only does it come second-nature, because it's how I was raised, but just in general, I try to spread random acts of kindness, like smiling at a person, etc. I mean something as small as that could really brighten another person's day.. you never know. I think Zeppelin's 'Friends' lyrics are a fitting description as to why:

Bright light almost blinding,

Black night still there shining.

I can't stop keep on climbing,

Looking for what I knew.

Had a friend she once told me,

"You got a love, you ain't lonely."

Now she's gone and left me only,

Looking for what I knew.

I'm telling you now,

The greatest thing you ever can do now,

Is trade a smile with someone who's blue now,

It's very easy just.