Whole Lotta Love: Knebworth version

kashmiran

I really like the Knebworth version of WLL. There's an interview with Jonesy somewhere, and he's asked if the "funkier" version was planned or impromptu. Can't remember where I read it, but if I find, I'll post it.

There's an interview with Jonesy somewhere, and he's asked if the "funkier" version was planned or impromptu. Can't remember where I read it, but if I find, I'll post it.

It's in one of the two booklets included in the 2003 DVD.

Quote:

" Everything was always in a state of flux." says Jones. " It kept the whole thing alive as opposed as to just being a juke box. And I suppose Knebworth was just the night that "Whole Lotta Love" became funky. We never knew or planned it and that was part of the appeal".

There ya go! and it is definitely an interesting version of the song.

I think within that Jones quote lie the strongest arguments for Led Zep being the best. Who else could do that?

I agree wholeheartedly with that statement. Also, I was just listening to the Atlantic Records reunion version of WLL and realized: that entire version is done the same way as the mid-section of the Knebworth version! The same riff, same vocal style (although I don't know if Robert could help that), and the funky section in-between the first two verses and guitar solo has been replaced with a section of riffs also present in the Knebworth version. It's like they re-wrote all the instrumentation after 1979 or something.

Post-Script: Anybody know if they did the "You need love" section on the 11th at Knebworth? I've only heard the 4th version.

I really like the Knebworth version of WLL. There's an interview with Jonesy somewhere, and he's asked if the "funkier" version was planned or impromptu. Can't remember where I read it, but if I find, I'll post it.

Yes I really like the Knebworth version too! I don't know if it is on any audio CD but if anyone knows please let me know. Thanks!

Post-Script: Anybody know if they did the "You need love" section on the 11th at Knebworth? I've only heard the 4th version.

Yes, they did, and it's pretty damn good too, considering the quality of their performance that night.

They also did Boogie Chillun', although Jimmy had a look on his face that said, "Come on, do we HAVE to do this?" You could just tell he just wanted to get off the stage at that point..

Yes, they did, and it's pretty damn good too, considering the quality of their performance that night.

They also did Boogie Chillun', although Jimmy had a look on his face that said, "Come on, do we HAVE to do this?" You could just tell he just wanted to get off the stage at that point..

Now I HAVE to get that version somehow. I have an almost complete bootleg from the 11th. It has 90% of the show but omits the encores (R&R, WLL, and CB). I have a bootleg from the 4th that has everything but Heartbreaker. If they did Boogie Chillun, WHY did Jimmy leave that off the DVD? Even if he was going to use the 4th version, he could have at least added Boogie Chillun from the 11th! Oh, and your note that the performance on 11th seems to imply that the performance wasn't very good. Actually, from what I've heard of the 11th, it seems to be better than the 4th. Anyone else agree?

Now I HAVE to get that version somehow. I have an almost complete bootleg from the 11th. It has 90% of the show but omits the encores (R&R, WLL, and CB). I have a bootleg from the 4th that has everything but Heartbreaker. If they did Boogie Chillun, WHY did Jimmy leave that off the DVD? Even if he was going to use the 4th version, he could have at least added Boogie Chillun from the 11th! Oh, and your note that the performance on 11th seems to imply that the performance wasn't very good. Actually, from what I've heard of the 11th, it seems to be better than the 4th. Anyone else agree?

I find that most of the 11th was very shaky. The only songs I prefer on that night are Kashmir, Hot Dog, and Sick Again (and WLL of course). They didn't play Ten Years Gone, and ALS made me weep.

I find that most of the 11th was very shaky. The only songs I prefer on that night are Kashmir, Hot Dog, and Sick Again (and WLL of course). They didn't play Ten Years Gone, and ALS made me weep.

Sorry. I should have parts of the 11th are better. In fact, bizzarely, my preffered 11th song list is exactly the same as yours! If I had my way, Pagey would release a live album of Knebworth with the following tracklist:

1. The Song Remains the Same - 4th

2. Celebration Day - Instrumentals from the 11th, vocals from the 4th except for the second verse

3. Black Dog - 4th, with part of the 11th guitar solo

4. Nobody's Fault But Mine - 4th

5. OTHAFA - 4th

6. Misty Mountain Hop - 4th

7. SIBLY - 11th for fisrst verse, 4th for everything else

8. No Quarter - 4th

9. Ten Years Gone - 4th (duh!)

10. Hot Dog - 11th

11. The Rain Song - 4th

12. White Summer - 4th, 11th for the climactic 20 seconds

13. Kashmir - Vocals from the 11th, overlaid with the instrumentals from the 4th

14. Trampled Under Foot - 4th

15. Sick Again - 11th

16. Achilles Last Stand - 4th (Because the 11th is quite possibly the worst version ever performed)

17. In the Evening - 4th (I'll skip Page's solo before this song, thanks!)

18. Stairway - 4th but with part of the solo from the 11th

19. Rock and Roll - 4th

20. Whole Lotta Love - 11th (even though I've never heard it, it's probably better)

21. Communication Breakdown - 11th (duh!)

Yeah, it was a long rant, but a guy can dream, can't he?

I actually found that Plant's voice is much better on the 11th, especially on Stairway. But Jimmy's guitar playing... well, some of it was really good, but most of the time it made me cringe; he also broke a string during Over the Hills, and again on Achilles Last Stand. His tone isn't too good either; it sounds too muddy while on the 4th, it sounded a lot brighter. The 11th also had really annoying sound problems (Plant's voice being drowned out, JPJ's piano not working, etc.).

2. Celebration Day - Instrumentals from the 11th, vocals from the 4th except for the second verse

3. Black Dog - 4th, with part of the 11th guitar solo

5. OTHAFA - 4th

6. Misty Mountain Hop - 4th

7. SIBLY - 11th for fisrst verse, 4th for everything else

8. No Quarter - 4th

9. Ten Years Gone - 4th (duh!)

10. Hot Dog - 11th

11. The Rain Song - 4th

12. White Summer - 4th, 11th for the climactic 20 seconds

13. Kashmir - Vocals from the 11th, overlaid with the instrumentals from the 4th

15. Sick Again - 11th

16. Achilles Last Stand - 4th (Because the 11th is quite possibly the worst version ever performed)

17. In the Evening - 4th (I'll skip Page's solo before this song, thanks!)

18. Stairway - 4th but with part of the solo from the 11th

19. Rock and Roll - 4th

20. Whole Lotta Love - 11th (even though I've never heard it, it's probably better)

21. Communication Breakdown - 11th (duh!)

Yeah, it was a long rant, but a guy can dream, can't he?

I pretty much agree with all of this, except maybe for WLL. I'd say take the whole performance from the 4th night but cut and paste Boogie Chillun' from the 11th night. Then paste back the call and response thing Robert was doing with the audience and the rest of the songfrom the 4th night (yes, I've done this before).

It's in one of the two booklets included in the 2003 DVD.

Quote:

" Everything was always in a state of flux." says Jones. " It kept the whole thing alive as opposed as to just being a juke box. And I suppose Knebworth was just the night that "Whole Lotta Love" became funky. We never knew or planned it and that was part of the appeal".

There ya go! and it is definitely an interesting version of the song.

I had a bootleg of one of Zep's warm-up shows in Copenhagen in 1979, and they played the same "Knebworth" version of Whole Lotta Love -- so it wasn't THAT night Jones speaks of that Zep spontaneously made WLL "funky."

Mine

2. Celebration Day- 4th

3. Black Dog - 4th

5. OTHAFA - 4th

6. Misty Mountain Hop - 11th

7. SIBLY - 4th for everything

8. No Quarter - 4th

9. Ten Years Gone - 4th

10. Hot Dog - 11th

11. The Rain Song - 4th

12. White Summer - 11th 4th for the last bits

13. Kashmir - 11th and 4th mix

15. Sick Again - 4th the 11th sucks hard

16. Achilles Last Stand - 4th

17. In the Evening - 4th

18. Stairway - 4th

19. Rock and Roll - 4th

20. Whole Lotta Love - 4th

21.Heartbreaker- 4th

21. Communication Breakdown - 11th

I always thought it was nod back to the original song "You Need Love" that inspired "Whole Lotta Love". Please correct me if I'm mistaken! :beer:

Yup. It was. Read all about it on Wikipedia. Look up the Whole Lotta Love article.

(Anyone have any info on the Atlantic Records 40th version? It's got the same riff as the mid-section of the Knebworth version, except all the way through the song, not just for that section.)