The Yardbirds

Miar

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

The Yardbirds - October 22, 1967 - Wichita, Kansas - Cotillion Ballroom

(w/ The Frantics)

Apparently, Yardbirds' drummer Jim McCarty passed out during the show due to exhaustion. The drummer of the Frantics took over for the remainder of the set.

post-5-0-99430300-1426181855_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-76525100-1426181856_thumb.jpg

The Yardbirds - October 22, 1967 - Wichita, Kansas - Cotillion Ballroom

(w/ The Frantics)

Apparently, Yardbirds' drummer Jim McCarty passed out during the show due to exhaustion. The drummer of the Frantics took over for the remainder of the set.

...Timeline of this Venue including photo of the Opening of the Cotillion Club

http://www.thecotillion.com/39-2/

• 1 month later...

The Yardbirds - Hunt Armory, Pittsburgh. August 16, 1967 - "Teen Fair"

The photographer sent me this, the only pic he has. (It's autographed on the back by JP).

I believe this is the first ever pic from this show?

">http://TeenFairHuntarmory.YB_zpsnvwfsxbb.jpg

http://user.pa.net/~ejjeff/timeline.html

thus far no aircheck from KQV...tks to Jeff Bateman/KQV airchecks...

Does anyone have an details on the Jordan "Boss" Amplifiers sponsorship of the Yardbirds around 1966-7? I know the story about their doing a Catalina Island gig in 1966 wherin they were forced to use the Jordan speakers and amps. Also, the poster which features bot hthe 5-piece the 4-piece. Can anyone date this?

de7b1f8248ae7ede35e7a934db906ca6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

from Burton Cummings of The Guess Who:

re: Cleveland Yardbirds concert w/ The Guess Who

"Sometime in the early winter months of 1968, we (the GW) somehow got hired to play a University gig in Cleveland with the Yardbirds. I think we were technically signed to Fontana at the time, and maybe they had something to do with bringing us down for the gig. At any rate, the guitarist was Page by this time. Now, I know there was another guitarist, but I can't swear that it was Jeff Beck, although the Wiki lists for those years would indicate that it was... With that in mind, I've found a rare picture of only four yardbirds, four famous names...Paul Samwell-Smith, Chris Dreja, Jimmy Page, and Keith Relf.

The point of this lengthy ramble is simply this. Page had a Wah Wah pedal that night, and Bachman and I had never seen one yet. And Page had already mastered it...this brand new guitar toy, and he had it down...for just that reason Randy and I never forgot that night. We opened for the Yardbirds with Page, long before Led Zeppelin was formed..."

from Burton Cummings of The Guess Who:

re: Cleveland Yardbirds concert w/ The Guess Who

"Sometime in the early winter months of 1968, we (the GW) somehow got hired to play a University gig in Cleveland with the Yardbirds. I think we were technically signed to Fontana at the time, and maybe they had something to do with bringing us down for the gig. At any rate, the guitarist was Page by this time. Now, I know there was another guitarist, but I can't swear that it was Jeff Beck, although the Wiki lists for those years would indicate that it was... With that in mind, I've found a rare picture of only four yardbirds, four famous names...Paul Samwell-Smith, Chris Dreja, Jimmy Page, and Keith Relf.

The point of this lengthy ramble is simply this. Page had a Wah Wah pedal that night, and Bachman and I had never seen one yet. And Page had already mastered it...this brand new guitar toy, and he had it down...for just that reason Randy and I never forgot that night. We opened for the Yardbirds with Page, long before Led Zeppelin was formed..."

Interesting. If Burton's recollections are correct this suggests a previously undocumented date, quite possibly in April 1968. Looking into it.

I have a detailed review of their Cleveland appearance on April 25, 1968 at the Palace Theatre.

Lineup: Blue Cheer, Traffic & Yardbirds.

The Guess Who gig could possibly have been late 1967.

Good point, Sam. The Oct/Nov 1967 North American tour is poorly documented. I show only eight confirmed dates....there must be others.

I have a detailed review of their Cleveland appearance on April 25, 1968 at the Palace Theatre.

Lineup: Blue Cheer, Traffic & Yardbirds.

The Guess Who gig could possibly have been late 1967.

..apologies for format... this from Legendary Randy Bachman, from His most recent book "Tales From Beyond The Tap"

">http://RandyBachman.excerpt_zpsfl3eda2y.jpg

Edited by PlanetPage