Zoso or Led Zeppelin IV?

The fourth Led Zeppelin album is the "no name or title" album. :o

That's what they really wanted: "music will talk, we don't need an introduction"

And what they did: first and unique

[you've to remember that there was nothing of the usual written parts, no reference, no credits, no greetings, nothing at all! and that's harder to obtain than a simple "no-title" record: mighty Led Zeppelin and mighty P. Grant!) :)

When it first came out and was being advertised, it was only listed as "the new" Led Zeppelin album. It took awhile before any titles were used with it. I understand band members and others closely associated with the band may have called it various names but in advertising print it was referred to as just Led Zeppelin.

When it was released, didn't they have to supply print outlets with the symbols so they could be used to reference the album?

It's the fourth album, to me. The runes are the band members' symbols, still in use today, so not necessarily the album's title.

Prince stole the idea of being known by a symbol later on when he had a spat with his record company. It didn't work so well for him, though. Stupid symbol, anyway. :D

It has been calle "sticks" also. If this has already been referred to sorry but I can't find any referance to it To me it will always be the "Stairway to Heaven" album or Led Zeppelin IV. But I do believe it is the best album ever made!

lol @ "Stairway to Heaven" album...

Come on, really?... Thats not even the best cut on that album, by far.

Either way, I believe the only reason it has no "name" is because the band wanted to show that their music would sell it self...

Its not necessarily because it didn't have a name... just that they didn't show it on the cover.

Led Zeppelin IV it is!

• 2 months later...

I know this thread may be dead, but Im responding anyway.

Ive heard that the album simply has no name. It just had their four symbols. The reason was to prove that their music could sell itself. Because of critiszm(Oh sp?) From Rolling Stone, saying their music only sold because, of their antics or something, not because of their songs. But then I heard that Robert said, it's simply called The Fourth Album.

When it was released, didn't they have to supply print outlets with the symbols so they could be used to reference the album?

It's the fourth album, to me. The runes are the band members' symbols, still in use today, so not necessarily the album's title.

Prince stole the idea of being known by a symbol later on when he had a spat with his record company. It didn't work so well for him, though. Stupid symbol, anyway. :D

The band offered the four symbols to identify the album for Billborad to use when reporting the chart postition of the LP.

The album is officially "Untitiled". The Official identifer of the album are the four symbols, or runes, if you like.

Their are many shorthand names given for the album.

ZOSO

LZ IV

The "Runes" album

Do you rmember awhile back when the artist Prince changed his name to a symbol.

The "name" of Zeppelin's fourth LP is:

250px-Zoso.svg.png

Since you can't pronounce the above..... you make due by referring to the Untitled album as Led Zeppelin IV, or, Zeppelin's Fourth Album, etc.

Archived