Peavey amp help

pinky

First of all how can I tell what exact type it is all I know is that it is a Peavey 5150 half stack 400 watts but it has yellow letters wich is different than the other ones I saw I was going to make it a full stack. And also how can I get it to ten without feedback I cant get it past 4 (the volume that is.)

Why are Marshalls being brought up here when the original poster asked for help about a Peavey?

That being said, back on topic.

Why in the world are you even trying to buy a full stack? I cannot play a medium gig with a 50 watt 1x12 combo at anything higher than 5. Maximum. And thats a combo, running a 1x12. Running a high gain halfstack is going to be far louder than that, and unless you plan on playing Madison Square Garden any time soon, I cannot see why you would even want to buy a full stack. Particularly with a high gain tube amp that does not sound particularly good at low volumes.

Having a stack looks cool, but is completely unusable for anything short of very large gigs.

Not to mention, any amp that has a ton of gain is going to come with feedback.

Why are Marshalls being brought up here when the original poster asked for help about a Peavey?

That being said, back on topic.

Why in the world are you even trying to buy a full stack? I cannot play a medium gig with a 50 watt 1x12 combo at anything higher than 5. Maximum. And thats a combo, running a 1x12. Running a high gain halfstack is going to be far louder than that, and unless you plan on playing Madison Square Garden any time soon, I cannot see why you would even want to buy a full stack. Particularly with a high gain tube amp that does not sound particularly good at low volumes.

Having a stack looks cool, but is completely unusable for anything short of very large gigs.

Not to mention, any amp that has a ton of gain is going to come with feedback.

Is there way possible to decrease the feedback and I shouldnt say I am any time soon making a full stack I mean if I ever decide to I need to know what kind of cabinet it is so how can I tell.

If its 400 watts, technically you would need a 4x12 cabinet with at least 100 watt speakers, which I don't even know are made or not. It more than likely refers to the input power, not the output. I have never in my life heard of a 400 watt guitar amplifier.

is there any way you could take a picture of the amp?

As for what cabinet you need for it, you need one that can match the power rating of the amp. Unless you want to blow the speakers out. You don't need a specific brand or make. That is all preference. If you want to make it easy, its a half stack right? meaning you already have a speaker cabinet? Just get another one of those.

As for the feedback, unless something is wrong with the amp and you feel like troubleshooting it yourself, its probably best to just turn down the gain. Playing that sort of amplifier with the gain dimed and volume dimed will likely result in feedback no matter what you do with it.

you can turn a 400 watt amp up to 4?

Theres no possible way its 400 watts unless its a bass amp.

Agreed. EVH's 5150 models were 120 watts, as are his newer EVH 6505's.

I've also never seen anybody play a half stack at 10 no matter what make.

My guitar players only bust out a 2nd cabinet for outdoor festivals, or theaters.

Agreed. EVH's 5150 models were 120 watts, as are his newer EVH 6505's.

I've also never seen anybody play a half stack at 10 no matter what make.

My guitar players only bust out a 2nd cabinet for outdoor festivals, or theaters.

I've only ever seen people dime early non master volume Marshalls (JTM45, super lead, super bass, 1986/1987s, etc.) to get that Marshall crunch, but never without an attenuator (even the JTM45 is too loud through a single 4x12 for most gigs and its only 30 watts!).

Seriously, having a 120 watt head running into a full stack for anything less than the largest of gigs is like trying to kill a fly with a sledge hammer. Too much power to even be usable. Even through one 4x12 is overkill for 95% of gigs.

I've only ever seen people dime early non master volume Marshalls (JTM45, super lead, super bass, 1986/1987s, etc.) to get that Marshall crunch, but never without an attenuator (even the JTM45 is too loud through a single 4x12 for most gigs and its only 30 watts!).

Seriously, having a 120 watt head running into a full stack for anything less than the largest of gigs is like trying to kill a fly with a sledge hammer. Too much power to even be usable. Even through one 4x12 is overkill for 95% of gigs.

It sounds like the poster isn't doing this for any practical reasons.

From Marshall to Mesa Boogie, I'll take the tone of a 50 watt head every day.

:(:(:( WHY ANYONE WOULD WANT A FULL STACK IS BEYOND ME. I USED TO HAVE A MARSHALL JCM900 HEAD AND A MARSHALL HALF STACK AND IM PAYING THE PRICE FOR IT. USED IT IN MY EARLY TWENTYS AND NOW IM 47 YEARS OLD WITH LOSS OF HEARING AND CONSTANT RINGING IN MY EARS. YES IM GOING DEAF. THATS WHY IM YELLINGGG. :(:(

:(:(:( WHY ANYONE WOULD WANT A FULL STACK IS BEYOND ME. I USED TO HAVE A MARSHALL JCM900 HEAD AND A MARSHALL HALF STACK AND IM PAYING THE PRICE FOR IT. USED IT IN MY EARLY TWENTYS AND NOW IM 47 YEARS OLD WITH LOSS OF HEARING AND CONSTANT RINGING IN MY EARS. YES IM GOING DEAF. THATS WHY IM YELLINGGG. :(:(

not to steal your thunder(ous yells) or anything but...

your early 20s would have been before the JCM900s came out (early 90s I think)...

HOW CAN I TELL WHAT TYPE IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And it may be less than 400 watts but thats what it says.

I can't believe there is not a model number, or picture that you can't match up on the Peavey website.

E-mailing them a serial number might work.

Posting a picture (as mentioned above) with good detail of the back panel would also be more helpful than asking people to make blind assumptions in the guise of helping you out. :rolleyes:

Here, I'll make it easier, via google search. I'm pretty sure these are all the 5150 heads that have been released.

Is the head this one?

Peavey%205150%20Head.jpg

or this one?

5150IIhead.jpg

Look at the control panels, people mod their amplifiers all the time to change appearance.

This was recently released about a year ago but by EVH's brand, not Peavey,

502216.jpg

Regardless, all 3 are 120 watts.

Are you reading the watts RMS for output, or the power consumption? Look by the speaker connections.

That said, I'm all with Hickory Man. I've had everything from Plexis to JCM800s. Unless you use a Hot Plate or Power Brake, you're never gonna get those four EL34s, 6L6GCs or KT88s sizzling enough to reap the benefits. Go with a 50 watt. You can actually get one of those into the sweet spot without being ridiculous. Better two power tubes on fire than four tubes barely awake. See, the key to sweet tone is in power tube saturation. Fuck master volume! That ain't where it's at. When you crank the power section, it all comes down to your fingers and the volume knob on your guitar. Massive clusters of 12AX7 preamp tubes are for suckers who read too many guitar magazines. Get an amp you can crank within an inch of its life while still hearing the bass drum. :beer:

I always thought 50 watters were not noticeably quieter than the 100 watters. At least in comparing early JMP 50 watters to 100 watt super lead heads, at full blast, the 50 watter is only something like 3 decibels quieter than the 100 watt. Which still makes it too way too loud for most uses without an attenuator.

You don't know my drummer! :lol:

Seriously though, I currently use a Marshall DSL50, and it rests around 7 on the drive channel (which I only use for extreme Ozzy-type stuff) and 7-8 on the clean/crunch channel (which I use for pretty much everything). I still mic it through the PA. Not for volume, but to spread the sound around the room for an even mix. If I tried that with my JCM800 or Plexi, people would leave the building. I can't speak for decibels, but RMS means root means square, and that means doubling the watts should result in a 25 percent increase in volume. However, that also assumes you have double the speakers. I use 2 2x12 Mesa cabinets with Celestion Vintage 30 speakers. If a I had a full stack, it would be much louder, but I want that edgy breakup you get when the speakers are pushed a bit. It means I don't need a distorion box, or driving up the preamp gain. I can go from clean as glass to metal up your ass with a turn of the volume knob on my guitar. Righteous! :D

I can't speak for decibels, but RMS means root means square, and that means doubling the watts should result in a 25 percent increase in volume.

Ev, doubling the power wattage will always result in an increase of only 3db - I forget the maths (probably never knew it properly :lol:) but that's the true figure.

Increasing the number of speakers, on the other hand, will shift more air volume & have a great effect on what you can hear... :D (I know that you know that, I'm just saying it for the thread)

My benchmark comparison for 50 vs 100 watts is the original Allman Bros Band: live Dickey has a 100 watt Marshall, Duane has a 50. They both ran loud, & matched each other volume wise (so like you say, the power tubes were hot).

The difference was mainly in the tone: Duane's was saturating more, while Dickey's was a bit cleaner & had a little more articulation.

HOW CAN I TELL WHAT TYPE IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And it may be less than 400 watts but thats what it says.

that 400 watts is the juice it sucks from the wall.

power output is dependent on load impedence. Not sure about your head but many of them also have pentode/triode modes which cut the output.

the main thing to worry about when adding a second cab is impedence matching(there is probably also a switch on your head for this too). Most 4x12's are 16 ohms, running two of them in parallel is an 8 ohm load

You can get a noise gate for the feedback.

the 400 watts is usually what the cabinet is rated for continuous use.

I have a Peavey Penta half stack (it goes to 11) and I plugged it into another speaker and I thought it sounded much better. It didn't sound strained and harsh when i cranked it up and it was even louder. It's not really practical but if I would recommend getting another cabinet

Archived