Convincing Parents That Drums Aren't A Waste of Time

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to convince my parents to let me at least get some practice pads and drumsticks. I've wanted to play since I was ten (I'm 13 now) but my parents have always had a whole list of reasons not to let me:

-They're too loud

-They aren't a "proper" instrument

-I'm going to give up straight away (which I definitely won't)

-I haven't proven that I have any interest in playing music (although I've learned to play Stairway on recorder)

-If I want to learn an instrument, I've gotta learn piano first (I think because my family likes it, they're into classical music, and my sister already plays)

-They're too expensive (my sister's got a $900 piano)

(yeah I know I sound kind of bitter above)

My music teacher in primary school reckoned that I've got good rythm (not spelling :P I think it's got more h's in it) and I've tried keeping a steady beat with one foot and a repeating sequence (not sure what you call it but like in a basic song etc) with my hands and I can do it pretty well after a minute or two working it out.

Anyone got any ideas, or had this same problem before? thanks :)

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to convince my parents to let me at least get some practice pads and drumsticks. I've wanted to play since I was ten (I'm 13 now) but my parents have always had a whole list of reasons not to let me:

-They're too loud

-I haven't proven that I have any interest in playing music (although I've learned to play Stairway on recorder)

-If I want to learn an instrument, I've gotta learn piano first (I think because my family likes it, they're into classical music, and my sister already plays)

My music teacher in primary school reckoned that I've got good rythm (not spelling :P I think it's got more h's in it) and I've tried keeping a steady beat with one foot and a repeating sequence (not sure what you call it but like in a basic song etc) with my hands and I can do it pretty well after a minute or two working it out.

I wanted to learn drums when I was a child, and I had the same problem. While they are loud...practice pads can put a good damper on the noise level. The best advice, I think, is to just keep trying. If you're persistent about your desire to learn, they might give in one day.

Other than that, you could get a cheap set to start with. A beginning musician doesn't need something that expensive. Upgrade as you progress in skill.

Or you can just bang on random stuff, make your own kit. :D

If that doesn't work, you could always get Rock Band and get really good at the drums. That'll show 'em what's up. B)

I had something of a similar experience, but with guitar, not drums. I'd wanted a guitar from the age of four (ever since I saw a guy named Tommy Steele playing one on TV - giving my age away, here), and it took a further ten years before that desire was finally realised. During that period, I was enrolled in violin lessons at school. I ask you: violin? Not that there's anything wrong with violins, but it's hardly a guitar, is it?.

So, I finally blag the money from my parents, got ahold of a cheap acoustic guitar, and was away. No direction, but away all the same. For around 18 months I learned all sorts of stuff, none of which was related. Then I heard Wheels Of Fire - Live At The Fillmore: Cream's third album, and was blown away, not just by Clapton, but also by the fact that songs could last 15 minutes plus. Now I had a semblence of a direction: "I wanna be part of that", I thought, and set about doing it. I aspired to learn everything from this guy, slavishly copying his every phrase (once I figured out how he was doing it, and sometimes not). It was at this point that my parents passed the comment that they didn't think I was playing the guitar "properly". I pressed on, and finally got hold of a used electric six string. I then had a devil of a job getting an amplifier. I was told that I only needed one of those if I intended to play live! OK, I was still at school, but I was making plans.

My family finally came round to my playing when they eventually came to see me play live (some ten years after I started). It wasn't particularly to their taste, but did recognise that I knew what I was doing from the outset. It was one long slog uphill to get to that position, and that's without the public being on my case. Almost 40 years later, and I'm still at it.

If you have the drive, you will eventually get those drums, irrespective of what others say. Then you have to get out there and show 'em.

Good luck.

RB

-They're too loud

I'm quite saddened by your post BTOB as I have always encouraged my children when they have shown a keen interest in music, the arts, etc. And more so if it is one they have chosen themselves to do. I drove my son to the music shop to buy his first guitar and amp...I was so pleased he wanted to learn :)

So many kids your age lose their way in life and it's great you have such enthusiasm. However, don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing your mum and dad's parenting skills or anything...so please don't think it's a dig at them. I think you should certainly let them know about the practice pads, emphasising that they are not as loud as a kit. How about getting your music teacher to have a word with them? A person with an authoritative opinion might do the trick! ;):D

Good Luck!

I would...

1) I would just show a lot of interest in the history of drumming and tell your parent intersting facts that you find out and that will show them that you are learning and that there is more to drums than just noise.

2) Walk around with drumsticks playing on tables, walls, pots, and pans everything to show you really want this.

3) Selling everything you own, buy a kit, and run away and join a band.

Seriously tho the first thing works when I was 12 I wanted a banjo and I showed interest and now 7 years later I play banjo, electric and acoustic guitar (the electric has now became my number 1 instrument), harmonica, mandolin, all because I just wanted to learn how to play and now the music has taken me to places and Ive got to experience things I never would have had without it. BEST OF LUCK

Seriously, a practice pad is like ten dollars. It's basically a big round, flat piece of rubber. Sticks are another 6 dollars. Start learning on that, and just use the floor as a bass drum and something that makes a "clink" noise as a ride cymbal. It makes practically no noise whatsoever, and 16 dollars really isn't that expensive. If you can keep it up playing on that, I'm sure they'll come round eventually.

If you do get the pad and sticks, you should either look at getting lessons or you can post here for some tips on starting out, and I and others would be glad to help for sure.

Oh, and as for them not being a "proper" instrument. Listen to, and then play them the song "One Word" by The Mahavishnu Orchestra. Then ask them if they still think it's not a proper instrument ;)

I would certainly ask your parents if they would allow you some professional drum lessons, as a starting point.

Not only will lessons prove to yourself that drumming is something you wish to persue, it might also show your parents that you are serious about it.

-They're too loud

They'll probably come around eventually. If they don't, well I'm sorry - that would really suck.

Its rhythm by the way. B)

• 1 month later...
I'm quite saddened by your post BTOB as I have always encouraged my children when they have shown a keen interest in music, the arts, etc. And more so if it is one they have chosen themselves to do. I drove my son to the music shop to buy his first guitar and amp...I was so pleased he wanted to learn :)

So many kids your age lose their way in life and it's great you have such enthusiasm. However, don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing your mum and dad's parenting skills or anything...so please don't think it's a dig at them. I think you should certainly let them know about the practice pads, emphasising that they are not as loud as a kit. How about getting your music teacher to have a word with them? A person with an authoritative opinion might do the trick! ;):D

Good Luck!

Couldn't agree more. Both my son's had no trouble at all convincing us about music and instruments. I can truthfully say that it has been money well spent. They are now buying they're own gear but I would do it again in a heart beat. As for drums being to loud, try taping together some doweling. to match with the size of drum sticks you play best with. Very cheap and they make the sound of the drums a little more pleasing to parents and neighbours. Yopu still get the sound , just not as loud. BTW ...if you buy full length dowels, you can make up to three sets of sticks

Archived