Shapes of Things/Happenings Ten Years Time Ago LIVE

Surfing tonight I was checking out the freemasons which led inexplicably to Aleister Crowley then to the Beatles on You Tube. I watched damn near the whole Let It Be movie and got to thinking maybe there's some old Blue Cheer on You Tube. Of course there was and then saw some Pink Floyd live French TV stuff (greatness) and then suddenly the tides of led internet brought me to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbpc15oOMHU...feature=related

I wish all of you well.

Surfing tonight I was checking out the freemasons which led inexplicably to Aleister Crowley then to the Beatles on You Tube. I watched damn near the whole Let It Be movie and got to thinking maybe there's some old Blue Cheer on You Tube. Of course there was and then saw some Pink Floyd live French TV stuff (greatness) and then suddenly the tides of led internet brought me to this:

I wish all of you well.

Very nice, thank you. I grew up seeing the Yardbirds on television and hearing them on radio. One day watching them on television I noticed that Jimmy Page had gotten a new singer, who presently is touring with Alison Krauss.

grrr... for some odd reason all the sudden today my browser is acting retarded...

Things I can't do anymore:

1) post a smiley face or edit my fonts (toolbar disappeard!)

2) watch any sort of movie (i can go to youtube , see all the peoples comments and click videos, but they simply will not play)

3) check my e-mail (i click my inbox, and despite there being 36 messages in it, I can't see a-one of them)

im really getting pissed off.. anyone know what might be up?

You ain't missin' anything, doc, just Page playing that Telecaster Jeff Beck gave him.

Speaking of Jeff check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CirDwohWt2s...feature=related

In 1968 the record companies thought Jeff Beck, Rod Stewart, Ron Wood (bass) & Mickey Waller (great drummer) were going to be the monster 'British blues' act so Atlantic signed Zep thinking how bad a deal can it be. But Grant, Beck's manager at the time, knew that Stewart and Wood were about to leave Beck's group. Beck got bent out of shape with Page because Jimmy watched a bunch of Jeff Beck Group shows in America with Peter Grant and then went off and formed Zepplin. Did you know Beck had already recorded You Shook Me with session man John Paul Jones pre-Zepski? But what really burnt Beck's ass was Page playing tracks of the first Zep album for him and saying: "Listen to this guy I got on drums."

Peace.

Just had a thought, docron. Put Yardbirds Shapes of Things You Tube in your browser. You'll find this.

It doesn't work that way either... I can click the links all day long, and it takes me to YouTube... the page comes up and everything but then no video pops up.. all I see are the comments that people have left that are usually below the video screen.

Its not just YouTube though, its my internet explorer in general...

Its like a bunch of stuff is non-accessable/disabled (for example, I can't click any of the tabs under my profile to see the posts I've made, etc)

I think I'm going to try Eternal Light's suggestion... (I was down to 4% disk space the other day afterall - darn bootlegs!)

You ain't missin' anything, doc, just Page playing that Telecaster Jeff Beck gave him.

Speaking of Jeff check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CirDwohWt2s...feature=related

In 1968 the record companies thought Jeff Beck, Rod Stewart, Ron Wood (bass) & Mickey Waller (great drummer) were going to be the monster 'British blues' act so Atlantic signed Zep thinking how bad a deal can it be. But Grant, Beck's manager at the time, knew that Stewart and Wood were about to leave Beck's group. Beck got bent out of shape with Page because Jimmy watched a bunch of Jeff Beck Group shows in America with Peter Grant and then went off and formed Zepplin. Did you know Beck had already recorded You Shook Me with session man John Paul Jones pre-Zepski? But what really burnt Beck's ass was Page playing tracks of the first Zep album for him and saying: "Listen to this guy I got on drums."

Peace.

excellent clip. been awhile since i have seen this, they must be letting things slide a little more on you-tube.

dirg, are you inferring that jimmy page ripped off jeff beck for zeppelin by watching his group? 'you shook me' is an old story but a good starting point: there is no comparision once you hear them both.

the yardbirds was the band that dug up every OTHER obscure blues tune that the stones hadn't done yet. both page and beck were using a tried and true formula...

I was checking out the freemasons which led inexplicably to Aleister Crowley then to the Beatles

Kevin Bacon would be proud! :lol:

Not meaning to be offensive, I just found that string funny. Cheers. :beer:

excellent clip. been awhile since i have seen this, they must be letting things slide a little more on you-tube.

dirg, are you inferring that jimmy page ripped off jeff beck for zeppelin by watching his group? 'you shook me' is an old story but a good starting point: there is no comparision once you hear them both.

the yardbirds was the band that dug up every OTHER obscure blues tune that the stones hadn't done yet. both page and beck were using a tried and true formula...

You Tube has Train Kept A'Rollin' live with Page (and more.) I just watched Over Under Sideways Down. All for free, it doesn't get any better than that.

I love this forum, beatbo, everybody knows their stuff and has their own opinions/theories. I relish promoting an exchange of those theories if I can get intelligent people like yourself involved in a group discussion. Sometimes I have to play agent provocateur to fan the flames of discussion, never arguing but sharing. Your opinion might change an opinion I held, upgrade it to a new or different level of understanding. On the converse I (or someone else) might post something that causes you to rethink an aspect of LZ. One hand washes the other.

Everyone knows the similarities of Beck's You Shook Me and Page's arrangement are minimal but I find the coincidence of Jones actually playing on the Beck track prior to the Zep track worth mentioning.

And I wouldn't say Page ripped off Beck but rather he patterned LZ after The Jeff Beck Group. Page watched Beck's act perform a number of different nights in American clubs and theaters and he studied the positive crowd reaction to a heavier blues form than what The Yardies had been peddling. I think it's fair to say that Beck's success on the rock circuit (not to mention Cream's) plus the addition of Bonham's exuberant drumming to the Zeppelin lineup were factors in the similarities of the bands.

Clapton, Beck and Page, all Yardbirds guitarists, were all influenced by the blues and all of them considered 'British bluesmen.' Just more factors in the crucible that forged the band LZ became, probably inevitable due to the bluesy British musical climate at the time.

Back to Jeff---obviously Page needed a singer, bassist and drummer to form a group, another innocent parallel to Beck's band. Page is widely quoted as 'willing to play a lighter Pentangle-ish type of music' and by LZ3 he had. But when you've got Jones' phat bass tone, Plant's blues belting abilities and Bonzo's chronic abuse of percussion instruments at your command, it's only human nature to rev the engine of a machine that powerful like a kid (LZ1) and roar around town in your new hot rod showing off for the chicks and your buddies (LZ2) before you decide to just chill and cruise (LZ3).

Whaddya think, beatbo? Clear as mud? Thanks, and keep posting.

You Tube has Train Kept A'Rollin' live with Page (and more.) I just watched Over Under Sideways Down. All for free, it doesn't get any better than that.

dirig-

man, i gotta agree with you here, especially. only people that spent $20-$30 bucks on 7-8 gen video bootlegs can truly appreciate you-tube. sometimes i sit in front of it and try to dream up the most obscure things i can think of and it will be there! i had both train and the previous clip bookmarked many times and they would always get pulled, though. nice to see them again.

I love this forum, beatbo, everybody knows their stuff and has their own opinions/theories. I relish promoting an exchange of those theories if I can get intelligent people like yourself involved in a group discussion. Sometimes I have to play agent provocateur to fan the flames of discussion, never arguing but sharing. Your opinion might change an opinion I held, upgrade it to a new or different level of understanding. On the converse I (or someone else) might post something that causes you to rethink an aspect of LZ. One hand washes the other.

you're absolutely right. i've had opinions i was sure about for years changed overnight by one insightful well written post. since the clearing of the decks recently, i'd have to put the percentage high for the amount of great posters on this forum.

Everyone knows the similarities of Beck's You Shook Me and Page's arrangement are minimal but I find the coincidence of Jones actually playing on the Beck track prior to the Zep track worth mentioning

good call. remarkable musican. saw zooma in chicago, excellent! love his sessions,(and sense of humor) too.

And I wouldn't say Page ripped off Beck but rather he patterned LZ after The Jeff Beck Group. Page watched Beck's act perform a number of different nights in American clubs and theaters and he studied the positive crowd reaction to a heavier blues form than what The Yardies had been peddling. I think it's fair to say that Beck's success on the rock circuit (not to mention Cream's) plus the addition of Bonham's exuberant drumming to the Zeppelin lineup were factors in the similarities of the bands.

okay. you're probably right. i always have to imagine (since i'm american) the guitar 'heirarchy' in britian in the 60's and just based on my own readings, listenings and conversations, i always remember that clapton and cream were the model before beck and page. he just had the rep (and the goods). played a session with the beatles!, i mean, they would only let mick and keith sing background. that gives me a barometer of the perception...

Clapton, Beck and Page, all Yardbirds guitarists, were all influenced by the blues and all of them considered 'British bluesmen.' Just more factors in the crucible that forged the band LZ became, probably inevitable due to the bluesy British musical climate at the time.

Back to Jeff---obviously Page needed a singer, bassist and drummer to form a group, another innocent parallel to Beck's band. Page is widely quoted as 'willing to play a lighter Pentangle-ish type of music' and by LZ3 he had. But when you've got Jones' phat bass tone, Plant's blues belting abilities and Bonzo's chronic abuse of percussion instruments at your command, it's only human nature to rev the engine of a machine that powerful like a kid (LZ1) and roar around town in your new hot rod showing off for the chicks and your buddies (LZ2) before you decide to just chill and cruise (LZ3).

Whaddya think, beatbo? Clear as mud? Thanks, and keep posting.

jeff beck is an incredible guitar player. i saw him in 1980ish-there and back. rod stewart, i loved 'every picture' and some faces/JB group. a team, yes, but not a beast like our boys. your analogy of zeppelin as an engine is very fitting. even if peter grant had flat out told jimmy page to 'build it like beck', it all had to go out the window after the 1st rehearsal. zeppelin was an animal, a ferocious unfed carnivore, that crushed bones and was one of a kind. really, besides john bonham, the key to led zeppelin was although you could see all that came before in them, they just appeared on the face of the earth an entirely original species.

'you shook me' - we'll never know for sure. page says "we (beck)come from the same place and influences" and of course he's right. but they did share management (not for much longer, though), however i can't help but feel the glee page must have felt to play that song for beck.

so much for "drinking this muddy water"....

thanks for the post!

jeff beck is an incredible guitar player. i saw him in 1980ish-there and back. rod stewart, i loved 'every picture' and some faces/JB group. a team, yes, but not a beast like our boys. your analogy of zeppelin as an engine is very fitting. even if peter grant had flat out told jimmy page to 'build it like beck', it all had to go out the window after the 1st rehearsal. zeppelin was an animal, a ferocious unfed carnivore, that crushed bones and was one of a kind. really, besides john bonham, the key to led zeppelin was although you could see all that came before in them, they just appeared on the face of the earth an entirely original species.

'you shook me' - we'll never know for sure. page says "we (beck)come from the same place and influences" and of course he's right. but they did share management (not for much longer, though), however i can't help but feel the glee page must have felt to play that song for beck.

If nothing else when Zeppelin were cutting master tracks at Olympic you'd've thought Mr. Baldwin would've made at least a comment somewhere along the line to Mr. Page like, "Oh, You Shook Me, I recorded this tune with Jeff four-five months ago."

As stated in my first post the record companies thought Beck was going to be huge and how bad a deal could signing a second-stringer like Page be?

Be forewarned I'm about to make some 'probably' unpopular comparisons.

My guitarist (nicknamed Semi Page) and I agreed everybody in Zeppelin were superior to their counterparts in a band like The Who. Daltry had straight hair till Plant came along, Jones' understated bass was far hipper, more sophisticated than Entwistle's flashy bass playing, Moon vs. Bonzo or Townsend vs. Page, forgetaboutit. I believe that man for man The Jeff Beck Group however should've really given LZ a run for their money. I'm not suggesting Rod Stewart is Plant's equal but in 1968 Rod was still good and his vocal style was as original as Percy's. And Page and Beck were peers, equally respected. Ron Wood played better bass than he ever played guitar but he played every bit as good as Entwistle in those days. Mickey Waller played strong exciting drums, certainly moreso than Keith Moon, if lacking Bonham's forcefulness but making up for it in technique. For frame of reference Waller played the manic drum break in Rod Stewart's (I Know) I'm Losing You. By 1970 though Waller couldn't touch Bonham after the roadwork he'd done with Zeppelin.

With such strong potential why did Zeppelin succeed and The Jeff Beck Group fail? Most likely because Beck reputedly only wanted to play once a month and was quick to fire his sidemen. Why did The Who have to be satisfied standing in Zep's shadow and not the other way around? Zep were huger than Cream ever was, but why? All of the players in all those bands was/is good so why does one group outshine all the rest by such enormous margins?

The answer is this metaphoric carnivorous beast you were talking about. Would you elaborate please?

If nothing else when Zeppelin were cutting master tracks at Olympic you'd've thought Mr. Baldwin would've made at least a comment somewhere along the line to Mr. Page like, "Oh, You Shook Me, I recorded this tune with Jeff four-five months ago."

As stated in my first post the record companies thought Beck was going to be huge and how bad a deal could signing a second-stringer like Page be?

Be forewarned I'm about to make some 'probably' unpopular comparisons.

My guitarist (nicknamed Semi Page) and I agreed everybody in Zeppelin were superior to their counterparts in a band like The Who. Daltry had straight hair till Plant came along, Jones' understated bass was far hipper, more sophisticated than Entwistle's flashy bass playing, Moon vs. Bonzo or Townsend vs. Page, forgetaboutit. I believe that man for man The Jeff Beck Group however should've really given LZ a run for their money. I'm not suggesting Rod Stewart is Plant's equal but in 1968 Rod was still good and his vocal style was as original as Percy's. And Page and Beck were peers, equally respected. Ron Wood played better bass than he ever played guitar but he played every bit as good as Entwistle in those days. Mickey Waller played strong exciting drums, certainly moreso than Keith Moon, if lacking Bonham's forcefulness but making up for it in technique. For frame of reference Waller played the manic drum break in Rod Stewart's (I Know) I'm Losing You. By 1970 though Waller couldn't touch Bonham after the roadwork he'd done with Zeppelin.

With such strong potential why did Zeppelin succeed and The Jeff Beck Group fail? Most likely because Beck reputedly only wanted to play once a month and was quick to fire his sidemen. Why did The Who have to be satisfied standing in Zep's shadow and not the other way around? Zep were huger than Cream ever was, but why? All of the players in all those bands was/is good so why does one group outshine all the rest by such enormous margins?

The answer is this metaphoric carnivorous beast you were talking about. Would you elaborate please?

all i can say is chemistry, or better yet, alchemy...

an original species.

i would have put it the other way around than you and semi-page. to my ears, pound for pound, the who was the only band that could get in the ring with zeppelin live.

and even then, i see the DNA of the who all twisted around. the lead player in the who was keith moon, who sometimes shared duties with entwhistle. townshend played rhythym so monster that he carried the beat (someone had to). they had studio production problems in the sixties (except at the first with shel talmy)and only when glyn johns was at the board did they record anything that would stand up to the billions of replays on classic rock radio. although the talent in the who was prodigious, they weren't the same animal as zeppelin.

back to jeff beck group.

i hear you about rod. an original distinct voice-something a supergroup has to have. and i even agree about waller-very tasty and a huge talent. beck-page...

i have to dissent on ronnie wood. excellent role player,yes and better on bass than guitar, yes, but not 'in there' like bonham/jones.

i'm going to bring the beatles in here, not because of the matchup musically but because of the chemistry.

there was no overlap in the beatles. everything fit perfectly. the roles both in personality and music dovetailed into each other to play out the perfect complement. they were the first band to do this and that's why (i believe) they went bang as loud as they did.

zeppelin is very similar. no overlap. everything dovetails. but where the beatles were vegan, zeppelin had flesh under it's claws.

one other speculation on zeppelin vs. jeff beck group (and even the who): robert plant.

remember the first time you heard that voice. it was pulverizing. it sounds exactly like his band-demented, rabid, sexy, powerful. if an alien came to earth and asked me to let him hear the most distinct voice on earth, i'd play him robert plant. the competition and the imitation has deluded the impact of this magnificent instrument, and i say again-the voice perfectly matches the band.

one other thing:

don't let the stories fool you. peter grant walked into atlantic with the first album under his arm. jimmy page was useful publicity-wise with his yardbirds tenure, but the realized product was what ahmet signed. jimmy page-the smartest man alive. how do you get a record deal with all the bells and whistles? show up with the full tape-the best debut album in rock history. (sorry guns and roses)

questions for you, dirig

did jeff beck ever really know what he wanted to do? did his impulses lead him to a career that never lived up to it's potential?

is this how the atom floats when it doesn't have a vision?

back at ya...

all i can say is chemistry, or better yet, alchemy...

an original species.

i would have put it the other way around than you and semi-page. to my ears, pound for pound, the who was the only band that could get in the ring with zeppelin live.

and even then, i see the DNA of the who all twisted around. the lead player in the who was keith moon, who sometimes shared duties with entwhistle. townshend played rhythym so monster that he carried the beat (someone had to). they had studio production problems in the sixties (except at the first with shel talmy)and only when glyn johns was at the board did they record anything that would stand up to the billions of replays on classic rock radio. although the talent in the who was prodigious, they weren't the same animal as zeppelin.

back to jeff beck group.

i hear you about rod. an original distinct voice-something a supergroup has to have. and i even agree about waller-very tasty and a huge talent. beck-page...

i have to dissent on ronnie wood. excellent role player,yes and better on bass than guitar, yes, but not 'in there' like bonham/jones.

i'm going to bring the beatles in here, not because of the matchup musically but because of the chemistry.

there was no overlap in the beatles. everything fit perfectly. the roles both in personality and music dovetailed into each other to play out the perfect complement. they were the first band to do this and that's why (i believe) they went bang as loud as they did.

zeppelin is very similar. no overlap. everything dovetails. but where the beatles were vegan, zeppelin had flesh under it's claws.

one other speculation on zeppelin vs. jeff beck group (and even the who): robert plant.

remember the first time you heard that voice. it was pulverizing. it sounds exactly like his band-demented, rabid, sexy, powerful. if an alien came to earth and asked me to let him hear the most distinct voice on earth, i'd play him robert plant. the competition and the imitation has deluded the impact of this magnificent instrument, and i say again-the voice perfectly matches the band.

one other thing:

don't let the stories fool you. peter grant walked into atlantic with the first album under his arm. jimmy page was useful publicity-wise with his yardbirds tenure, but the realized product was what ahmet signed. jimmy page-the smartest man alive. how do you get a record deal with all the bells and whistles? show up with the full tape-the best debut album in rock history. (sorry guns and roses)

questions for you, dirig

did jeff beck ever really know what he wanted to do? did his impulses lead him to a career that never lived up to it's potential?

is this how the atom floats when it doesn't have a vision?

back at ya...

Chemistry is the exact word I'd use. Not only did Zeppelin and The Beatles have it, but The Police had it as well. In jazz The Coltrane Quartet had it.

Townsend's guitar playing improved as time went on. Moonie's drumming deteriorated however, by Who's Next he wasn't playing all those crisp 5, 7 and 9 stroke rolls he used to play anymore. I guess the addition of a hi-hat screwed him up---and his not playing one until the seventies forever scarred him for me as an amateur drummer, albeit fiery and talented, but not in the professional weight class of the likes of Bonham, Waller (and Ginger Baker and Mitch Mitchell while I'm at it.) But Townsend's major talent is the same as Jimmy Page's: songwriting. I know Page was a guitar hero and respected producer shrouded in enormous mystique but one thing is certain, Clapton and especially Beck are inconsistent songwriters at best. By age 35 Page had written, recorded and produced more than 80 of the greatest rock songs of all time and performed about 50 of them live.

Beck sounds lazy to me, playing infrequently, as devoted to car racing as he was the guitar, the one always pretending to be sick on Yardbirds tours. Jeff was great friends with Moon and probably better friends with Bonzo than Page once Zep was born. Beck told Bonham he loved the rhythm section of Tim Bogert and Carmine Appice and Bonham hooked them up. Before they could form Beck, Bogert & Appice Jeff hurt himself in a motorcycle accident and Cactus got formed instead, a much better band than BB&A. Beck's current work with Vinnie Colaiuta is interesting but nowhere near the high water mark as when Simon Phillips held the drum chair. Which is kind of full circle, Simon is Townsend's favorite drummer too and early in Zak Starkey's tenure with The Who he found himself being replaced occasionally for 'special' shows by Simon. And Beck's still playing Morning Dew and Stratus and other shit he didn't write. Page doesn't have to play covers, he's got too rich a history as songwriter with a library of tunes audiences scream for to this day. He could play Coverdale Page originals if he wanted to. I'm glad he doesn't.

Keith Richards is another great songwriter. He's written more songs than Clapton, Beck and Page put together. Keef's got his own personalized niche, not unlike Hendrix and David Gilmour. But Keef's another story.

Chemistry is the exact word I'd use. Not only did Zeppelin and The Beatles have it, but The Police had it as well. In jazz The Coltrane Quartet had it.

Townsend's guitar playing improved as time went on. Moonie's drumming deteriorated however, by Who's Next he wasn't playing all those crisp 5, 7 and 9 stroke rolls he used to play anymore. I guess the addition of a hi-hat screwed him up---and his not playing one until the seventies forever scarred him for me as an amateur drummer, albeit fiery and talented, but not in the professional weight class of the likes of Bonham, Waller (and Ginger Baker and Mitch Mitchell while I'm at it.) But Townsend's major talent is the same as Jimmy Page's: songwriting. I know Page was a guitar hero and respected producer shrouded in enormous mystique but one thing is certain, Clapton and especially Beck are inconsistent songwriters at best. By age 35 Page had written, recorded and produced more than 80 of the greatest rock songs of all time and performed about 50 of them live.

Beck sounds lazy to me, playing infrequently, as devoted to car racing as he was the guitar, the one always pretending to be sick on Yardbirds tours. Jeff was great friends with Moon and probably better friends with Bonzo than Page once Zep was born. Beck told Bonham he loved the rhythm section of Tim Bogert and Carmine Appice and Bonham hooked them up. Before they could form Beck, Bogert & Appice Jeff hurt himself in a motorcycle accident and Cactus got formed instead, a much better band than BB&A. Beck's current work with Vinnie Colaiuta is interesting but nowhere near the high water mark as when Simon Phillips held the drum chair. Which is kind of full circle, Simon is Townsend's favorite drummer too and early in Zak Starkey's tenure with The Who he found himself being replaced occasionally for 'special' shows by Simon. And Beck's still playing Morning Dew and Stratus and other shit he didn't write. Page doesn't have to play covers, he's got too rich a history as songwriter with a library of tunes audiences scream for to this day. He could play Coverdale Page originals if he wanted to. I'm glad he doesn't.

Keith Richards is another great songwriter. He's written more songs than Clapton, Beck and Page put together. Keef's got his own personalized niche, not unlike Hendrix and David Gilmour. But Keef's another story.

yep, pete and the guitar is a very interesting watch and listen to say the least. and keith moon, when he was young-oh my god.

here's keith playing lead in the early who-watch the fills build and surge around the 1:30 mark

keith moon

songwriting-well, pete got his head given to him by the who early and they were slave to it for better or worse. no matter the musicians....if you don't have the tune.....

even though it is a personally british subject, i think quadrophenia was townshend's most realized writing. don't even get me started on 'lighthouse'...

of course, when you mention the writing, beck falls out of the conversation. i think he needed a foil and never found it.

you're right about cactus and even more right about simon phillips, who i saw with beck and then later with the who in '89. zak starkey is a kick-ass drummer who has grown by leaps and bounds. it was the quadrophenia shows (with billy idol and gary glitter) that zak really showed some muscle.

jimmy page could release a bowl of cornflakes with his picture on it and i'd at least try to stuff it in my cd player. once, anyways.

yes, keef....another story.

songwriting-well, pete got his head given to him by the who early and they were slave to it for better or worse. no matter the musicians....if you don't have the tune.....

even though it is a personally british subject, i think quadrophenia was townshend's most realized writing. don't even get me started on 'lighthouse'...

of course, when you mention the writing, beck falls out of the conversation. i think he needed a foil and never found it.

you're right about cactus and even more right about simon phillips, who i saw with beck and then later with the who in '89. zak starkey is a kick-ass drummer who has grown by leaps and bounds. it was the quadrophenia shows (with billy idol and gary glitter) that zak really showed some muscle.

jimmy page could release a bowl of cornflakes with his picture on it and i'd at least try to stuff it in my cd player. once, anyways.

yes, keef....another story.

Blondie's smokin' drummer Clem Burke was talking to some cat in a nightclub who said his name was Zak. Burke was stunned when he visited his new friend and there were Ringo's frog-in-a-blender Beatles kit and one of Moonie's battered set of Premiers.

"All you have to do is listen to Dance Little Sister and you can forgive Keith Richard of anything he's ever done." Jimmy Page

"My advice for beginners trying to get into playing the drums is to play the guitar." Keith Moon

"I've never had any problems with drugs, just policemen." Keef Riffhard

I wish all of you well.

How's it going Dirigible? You sure know your shit on Rock n' Roll! I'm going to be looking for you on the Forum more often just to e-mail and talk Rock n' Roll with you if you don't mind. I enjoy talking Rock n' Roll on all of the legendary bands as well as all of the legendary guitarists. ROCK ON AND SHINE ON!

This Beck/Page rivalry is kind of silly after 40 years. History has spoken here. In the early days, all you have to do is listen to Truth side by side with Zep I. Truth is a very raw and crude piece of work comapred to Zep I, not much more clearly recorded than Cream (in which the drums sounded like cardboard boxes). Led Zeppelin I was remarkable for its studio production as much as anything else, in the way the instruments (the drums especially) were finally recorded properly. Even today, tape his aside, Zep I has enormous spaciousness to it. It set the standard and it took a few years for the other acts to all catch up. Try listening to the early pre-Machine Head Deep Purple stuff, for instance. Sounds like it was recorded off an AM radio.

Everyone knows the similarities of Beck's You Shook Me and Page's arrangement are minimal but I find the coincidence of Jones actually playing on the Beck track prior to the Zep track worth mentioning.

And yet it's always Page who is acused of "ripping off" the Jeff Beck Group, never JPJ. Odd, that...

And I wouldn't say Page ripped off Beck but rather he patterned LZ after The Jeff Beck Group.

How about this: they both patterned what they did next after an idealised notion of what The Yardbirds could have become? ie get rid of the rhythm guitar, keep bass, drums & vox but replace them all with more skilled players.

That formula produces both Led Zeppelin and The Jeff Beck Group without anyone needing to be "ripped off".

After all, they both started from the same place, and were going in a similar direction. Is it any wonder that they should arrive at (almost) the same place?

This Beck/Page rivalry is kind of silly after 40 years. History has spoken here. In the early days, all you have to do is listen to Truth side by side with Zep I. Truth is a very raw and crude piece of work comapred to Zep I, not much more clearly recorded than Cream (in which the drums sounded like cardboard boxes). Led Zeppelin I was remarkable for its studio production as much as anything else, in the way the instruments (the drums especially) were finally recorded properly. Even today, tape his aside, Zep I has enormous spaciousness to it. It set the standard and it took a few years for the other acts to all catch up. Try listening to the early pre-Machine Head Deep Purple stuff, for instance. Sounds like it was recorded off an AM radio.

very good call, and i concur with that opinion. jimmy page's production has kept the zeppelin catalogue sonically competitive for 40 years.....

Archived