Classical music

In another thread, Stybjorn mentions that it's Bach's "Bouree" that Page plays in the Heartbreaker solo. Usually classical music bores me, but there's a few very powerful pieces that I love for the same reason I love Zeppelin. I'm interested in what other pieces of classical music Zeppelin fans love. My contributions are:

Bach, Bouree

Chopin, Polonaise in A-flat major

All of Mahler (but especially the 2nd, 4th, and 5th symphonies, and Kindertotenlieder)

All of Elgar (preeminently the cello concerto)

" Vaughan Williams

" Messien (absolutely amazing, all of his work)

Brahms (esp. 3rd symphony)

Bruckner's 8th

Debussy's tone poems

Shostakovich's chamber music

Beethoven's 5th piano concerto and 7th symphony (amongst many other things)

Chopin's Nocturnes

Bach's Cello Sonatas

all of Wagner apart from Siegfried (though I love the separate Idyll)

Sibelius' Finlandia

Much of Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninoff

late Liszt

just to name a few...

In another thread, Stybjorn mentions that it's Bach's "Bouree" that Page plays in the Heartbreaker solo. Usually classical music bores me, but there's a few very powerful pieces that I love for the same reason I love Zeppelin. I'm interested in what other pieces of classical music Zeppelin fans love. My contributions are:

Bach, Bouree

ok excellent, not all classical, but here goes:

Rachmaninoff, Piano Concert No. 3

Vespers

Prelude in G-sharp minor

Liszt, La Campanella

Consolation No.3 in D-flat

Liszt/Schubert, Standchen

Schubert, Impromptu in A-flat

Chopin, same as above

Mazurka in A minor

Scherzo No. 1 in B minor

Brahms, Symphony No. 2 (which Zubin Mehta will be conducting in Ottawa in October)

Mozart, The Marriage of Figaro (a beautiful part people may recall, Sull' Aria, is in "The Shawshank Redemption" when Andy locked himself in the warden's office and played it for the whole yard to hear)

Scriabin (he's a bit weird, but growing on me), Etude in C-sharp minor

Etude in D-sharp minor

Vers la Flamme

(and just about anything Horowitz ever got his hands on :D )

p.s. wonder if "Kashmir: Symphonic Led Zeppelin" counts?

I could probably list hundreds if I sat here long enough. Off the top of my head, my favorites because, for me, they will be forever connected to special places, events, and people:

Igor Stravinsky: Rite of Spring, Firebird Suite

Erik Satie: Gnossiennes ,Gymnopedies

Aaron Copland: Quiet City, Our Town

Antonin Dvorak: Symphony No. 9 "From The New World"

Camille Saint-Saëns: Danse Macabre, Carnival of the Animals

• 4 weeks later...

Where to start? - here's a few in no particular order

Pavan op. 50 - Faure

Most everything from the Children's Corner - Debussy

Bolero - Ravel

Gymnopedies - Satie

Flower Duet from Lakme - Delibes

Valse Trist - Sibelious

Overture to Tristan ad Isolde - Wagner

Lullaby - Gershwin

Serenade for Strings (I think this one is also called the Serenade in C) - Tchaikovsky

The Swan - Saint -Saens

Pavane for a Dead Princess - Ravel

That and pretty much all the operas of Puccini

There is a dramatic piece that Page also works into Dazed and Confused - Evster I think a while back was able to identify it, but I have forgotten what it is now...

It was from Holst's Planets originally. In Friends. The theme is very like Holst's Mars from The Planets. Robert's rising "Aaah aaah, aaah aaah, aaah aaah aaah, aaah aaah" (the part before "I'm tellin you now"), follows the theme, as does Jones' string part.

Page also incorporates a variation on the same theme in his bow solo in Dazed during TSRTS. Particularly the part where the Hermit's faces change.

*edit to add* Chris Squire of YES does similar in his bass solo The Fish, as did King Crimson in Mars. The ominous theme was used widely at the time.

However unlike the others, Jimmy somehow made it sound Indian (or otherwise Eastern to Western ears).

It was from Holst's Planets originally. In Friends. The theme is very like Holst's Mars from The Planets. Robert's rising "Aaah aaah, aaah aaah, aaah aaah aaah, aaah aaah" (the part before "I'm tellin you now"), follows the theme, as does Jones' string part.

that's a stretch, but i do hear it somewhat. I know The Bomber (medley) by The James Gang takes from Ravel's Bolero.

I'm a huge fan of Gustav Holst. Specifically, the amazingly epic "Jupiter" especially at 1:50:

I think Percy Grainger was an exrtremely gifted composer, although i got very tired of playing his music in high school band. the teacher was a big fan.

Shostakovich is also a favorite.

I love pretty much every symphony arragnement of Greensleeves, too.

Bach, Bouree

Are you still here poorTony? I'm partial to solemn, sad-sounding classical music such as the Pathetique movements by Beethoven and Tschaivosky. If I had to choose, my all-time favorite piece is Beethoven's "Choral Fantasy" as performed by the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra with Evgeny Kissin on the piano. Give it a listen sometime.

that's a stretch, but i do hear it somewhat.

Well, you say you hear it "somewhat". So why is it a "stretch"?

Like you said: "somewhat". I didn't assert it as concrete. Certainly the theme is there, but turns after the third bar. Okay. I'm just saying I feel it may have been a starting point. ;)

Archived