Can someone explain?

zepfan1

Can I suggest that it is an age thing?

At about the time Zep stopped Queen were just about starting out (late '70's).

Any polls done now will most likely involve those sub-40 and they would have been brought up on Queen not Zep.

Zep fans from back in the day (now in their late 40s, 50s any beyond) are probably not being polled.

I'm not saying it's right but it could be an argument for why!

The Brits love Queen. I've seen them consistently place higher than Zep in UK polls.

They have sold way more albums in UK than Zeppelin. Their two greatest hits compiliations are among the 10 best selling albums of all time there

Queen were the first major rock band I saw. 1977 at Southampton Gaumont. Contrary to the unhistorical nonsense above, they were huge then. This show was in a very small venue that they could have sold out 10 times over,quite easily. I think they played Wembley Arena on the same tour. I next saw them in 1979 at the NEC,Birmingham, which I believe was the biggest indoor one show,one band crowd ever in England at the time.They did'nt 'become' popular in the late 70's as is asserted above, they were already very popular, having released their first album in 1972, I think.

For me, what happened in between was I saw Led Zeppelin. That put Queen firmly into context as a good but actually uninspired rock band that seemed to lack sincerity, conviction and any real commitment to anything except crowd-pleasing histrionics. Try to find any interesting or insightful comments by any member of Queen about music,the history of it or the making of it. Ultimately, at this distance, much as i liked them then, they strike me now as a rock band who weren't especially interested in music in a wider sense. There are a lot around like that.

Archived