Sundance: Another benefit of living in Utah

pujols05

IF they show at all it won't be at The Broadway.

More likely Park City.

Have a friend or two living up there. They are used to having lots of company during the festival....I will be among them I think. :D

If they show at all it would probably be on the opening day @ Temple Theater in Park City. But 9:00 AM :blink: ....yikes!

Or, on Jan. 24th 6pm @ Temple Theater, Park City.

Meh..looks like if we want to see them, we'll have to hang out and see. :mellow:

Some people would say that sierra cement is the greatest snow on earth, due to the fact that it can stick to steeper slopes. :D

Utah's avalanche experts control the slopes. When the snow is so dry it doesn't stick great to VERTICAL slopes..but we, ooops, Utahn's get some heavier snow on occasion and that WILL stick. Believe me, the Cottonwood Canyons have as steep of terrain as anywhere...Alaska, Jackson Hole, wherever. There in NO better skiing that the Wasatch of Utah IN THE WORLD. You don't ski ON the snow, like you would on that Sierra Cement, you ski IN THE SNOW, it's so much drier and the density is so low, sometimes only 3% moisture content.

2rfseqe.jpg

33jocg9.jpg

Across the street from the Alta parking lot is Mt. Superior. It's hiked and skied everyday...plenty steep my friend, plenty steep. :D

21onhbp.jpg

Utah is gorgeous - lots of unspoiled nature there: Bryce Canyon, Zion National Park, the awesome and otherworldly Monument Valley. I've been visiting a little town called St. George for the last couple of years:

199.jpg

That whole area is pretty amazing. Zion, Bryce and Monument Valley I've all been to. I took a scenic flight over Monument Valley and the views are unbelievable. Saw Rainbow Bridge, where Hendrix played a famous show years ago. Just on the border in Arizona is Lake Powell, which I stayed at. It's funny that the name of the town is Page, Arizona. I think it's the largest man-made lake in the U.S.

lake_powell_alu9.jpg

Edited by SuperDave

Across the street from the Alta parking lot is Mt. Superior. It's hiked and skied everyday...plenty steep my friend, plenty steep. :D

21onhbp.jpg

That looks super fun, and ya you guys get a lot more of the real fluffy but we get loots too, it just takes more effort to ski through our heavier powder, anyways shred on.

That whole area is pretty amazing. Zion, Bryce and Monument Valley I've all been to. I took a scenic flight over Monument Valley and the views are unbelievable. Saw Rainbow Bridge, where Hendrix played a famous show years ago. Just on the border in Arizona is Lake Powell, which I stayed at. It's funny that the name of the town is Page, Arizona. I think it's the largest man-made lake in the U.S.

lake_powell_alu9.jpg

Page is wonderful indeed (the musician AND the town!). Dave, did you go on the Lake Powell boat ride to Rainbow Bridge? Again, talk about an otherworldly place - beautiful and strange.

That whole area is pretty amazing. Zion, Bryce and Monument Valley I've all been to. I took a scenic flight over Monument Valley and the views are unbelievable. Saw Rainbow Bridge, where Hendrix played a famous show years ago.

He played there ? :huh: Maybe,

I suppose the Rainbow Bridge at Lake Powell could have been a source of inspiraton for the name of the film but seeing as how the concert was in Hawaii, on Maui (shot mostly at the Rainbow Bridge Occult Meditation Center on Maui), I'd say the inspiration came from this:

There's a Rainbow Bridge in Haleiwa, Oahu, Hawaii (leading out of town toward the famous six-mile surf area called the "North Shore" and Jimi (who was enamored with the islands) played Honolulu (on Oahu) in '68 and on August 1, 1970 2 days after the July 30th filming on Maui.

One of his last recorded tunes (actually a jam after a take of "Dolly Dagger" was named "Pali Gap", named after a famous lookout on Oahu) was inspired by Hawaii as well.

Historic twin-span "Rainbow Bridge" over the Anahulu River marks the north end entrance to old Haleʻiwa Town.

800px-Haleiwa_bridge.jpg

By the way, I was living on Oahu in 1970 during the last show he did at the HIC arena and the filming of Rainbow Bridge on Maui.

Page is wonderful indeed (the musician AND the town!). Dave, did you go on the Lake Powell boat ride to Rainbow Bridge? Again, talk about an otherworldly place - beautiful and strange.

Yeah, I took the boat ride on Lake Powell and Rainbow Bridge was one of the sights along the way. Very scenic to say the least. That whole part of the country is pretty amazing. Nothing like it. Everyone should visit here at least once.

Some people would say that sierra cement is the greatest snow on earth, due to the fact that it can stick to steeper slopes. :D

Always remember zepskier, you can only ski ON the surface of Sierra concrete. But if you're really ON IT, you'll be IN IT, deeply. Today in the Wasatch. You can't beat it with a stick ! :D

24bkxfk.jpg

Ya you float through our snow, I don't know where everyone gets the on top stuff, but we rarely have to deal with hitting hard pack underneath, and it is way better and safer for taking big air.

Oh yah and lucky for you with the awesome conditions right now, we don't currently have anything in the forecast :( , so Utah's lookin pretty damn good right now.

Edited by zepskier

Ya you float through our snow, I don't know where everyone gets the on top stuff, but we rarely have to deal with hitting hard pack underneath, and it is way better and safer for taking big air.

Well look, let's do closing day sometime at Alta, usually the 3rd Sunday in April. Party at the top of Alf's High Rustler, the PREMIER run there..right in front of the main lodges. Here's some pics. Lots of folklore to read about if you seek it out.

Alf's High Rustler, named after the legendary Alf Engen, is quite a formidable run - long, steep, and scary. The top is so windblown that in some parts, only a plastic mat covers the rocks and twigs. The traverse to reach Alf's is long, and you're tired even before starting down. My goal in life: ski Alf's without stopping once

alfs_med.jpg

Alf's (rear view) after the lifts stop running for the season. A joyous crowd gathers at the top of Alf's to pay homage to Alf and Our Lady of the Snows, before making a final run down "The High Boy". The crowd lingers at least until sundown, and hurls snow, ice, and insults at anyone who leaves early.

alfs_high_rustler_med.jpg

B.Y.O.B - As seen here, the party was bring your own beverage, beer, booze, bong, or balloon filled with nitrous oxide.

toking_med.jpg

google...Alf's High Rustler

for more info. I was on top there from '94 thru '01 each season.

Ya it kind of sucks i hit Park City on their closing weekend a few years back (because I used to ski park), but I haven't been able to make it back so i could shred Alta, but that seems like it would be an awesome closing weekend (when i googled it the first thing that came up was about the party) too bad I'm pretty broke now.

Closing weekend at Squaw is usually the last weekend of may, but the past couple of years it has been more like the beginning of May, but on closing day everyone takes a last run doing reverse traverse and hiking to ski the stuff off the Headwall and KT-22 chairs (maybe you've heard of them if not you should google it), cause they usually close a couple of weeks earlier. Then most people go to Le Chamois, a pizza place and bar at the base, to party. Some people prefer to camp somewhere on KT or Headwall so you can party all night. There used to be more parties on the mountain though, I don't really get why they don't do it anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Gadgatguru and Pujols05,

didn't both of you go to the "It might get loud " presentation? ...and one of you had one ticket for the 16th...so it'd be nice if you would just tell us your feelings about it.

It was nice reading the comments from the members in Toronto , so it would be just as interesting to hear about you in Utah. Since we are expecting to see this movie someday in our home theaters and it is long waiting for it, it can help waiting just reading about it.