Academy Award Nominations

The Pagemeister

81st Annual Academy Awards®

Winners to be announced on Sunday, February 22nd.

Best Motion Picture of the Year

Nominees:

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008): Ceán Chaffin, Kathleen Kennedy, Frank Marshall

Frost/Nixon (2008): Brian Grazer, Ron Howard, Eric Fellner

Milk (2008): Bruce Cohen, Dan Jinks

The Reader (2008): Nominees to be determined

Slumdog Millionaire (2008): Christian Colson

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role

Nominees:

Richard Jenkins for The Visitor (2007/I)

Frank Langella for Frost/Nixon (2008)

Sean Penn for Milk (2008)

Brad Pitt for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)

Mickey Rourke for The Wrestler (2008)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role

Nominees:

Anne Hathaway for Rachel Getting Married (2008)

Angelina Jolie for Changeling (2008)

Melissa Leo for Frozen River (2008)

Meryl Streep for Doubt (2008/I)

Kate Winslet for The Reader (2008)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role

Nominees:

Josh Brolin for Milk (2008)

Robert Downey Jr. for Tropic Thunder (2008)

Philip Seymour Hoffman for Doubt (2008/I)

Heath Ledger for The Dark Knight (2008)

Michael Shannon for Revolutionary Road (2008)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role

Nominees:

Amy Adams for Doubt (2008/I)

Penélope Cruz for Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008)

Viola Davis for Doubt (2008/I)

Taraji P. Henson for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)

Marisa Tomei for The Wrestler (2008)

Best Achievement in Directing

Nominees:

Danny Boyle for Slumdog Millionaire (2008)

Stephen Daldry for The Reader (2008)

David Fincher for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)

Ron Howard for Frost/Nixon (2008)

Gus Van Sant for Milk (2008)

Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen

Nominees:

Frozen River (2008): Courtney Hunt

Happy-Go-Lucky (2008): Mike Leigh

In Bruges (2008): Martin McDonagh

Milk (2008): Dustin Lance Black

WALL·E (2008): Andrew Stanton, Pete Docter, Jim Reardon

Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published

Nominees:

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008): Eric Roth, Robin Swicord

Doubt (2008/I): John Patrick Shanley

Frost/Nixon (2008): Peter Morgan

The Reader (2008): David Hare

Slumdog Millionaire (2008): Simon Beaufoy

Best Achievement in Cinematography

Nominees:

Changeling (2008): Tom Stern

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008): Claudio Miranda

The Dark Knight (2008): Wally Pfister

The Reader (2008): Roger Deakins, Chris Menges

Slumdog Millionaire (2008): Anthony Dod Mantle

Best Achievement in Editing

Nominees:

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008): Angus Wall, Kirk Baxter

The Dark Knight (2008): Lee Smith

Frost/Nixon (2008): Daniel P. Hanley, Mike Hill

Milk (2008): Elliot Graham

Slumdog Millionaire (2008): Chris Dickens

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score

Nominees:

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008): Alexandre Desplat

Defiance (2008): James Newton Howard

Milk (2008): Danny Elfman

Slumdog Millionaire (2008): A.R. Rahman

WALL·E (2008): Thomas Newman

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song

Nominees:

Slumdog Millionaire (2008): A.R. Rahman, Gulzar("Jai Ho")

Slumdog Millionaire (2008): A.R. Rahman, Maya Arulpragasam("O Saya")

WALL·E (2008): Peter Gabriel, Thomas Newman("Down to Earth")

Best Achievement in Visual Effects

Nominees:

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008): Eric Barba, Steve Preeg, Burt Dalton, Craig Barron

The Dark Knight (2008): Nick Davis, Chris Corbould, Timothy Webber, Paul J. Franklin

Iron Man (2008): John Nelson, Ben Snow, Daniel Sudick, Shane Mahan

Best Animated Feature Film of the Year

Nominees:

Bolt (2008): Chris Williams, Byron Howard

Kung Fu Panda (2008): John Stevenson, Mark Osborne

WALL·E (2008): Andrew Stanton

Best Foreign Language Film of the Year

Nominees:

Der Baader Meinhof Komplex (2008)(Germany)

Entre les murs (2008)(France)

Revanche (2008)(Austria)

Okuribito (2008)(Japan)

Vals Im Bashir (2008)(Israel)

Best Documentary, Features

Nominees:

The Betrayal - Nerakhoon (2008): Ellen Kuras, Thavisouk Phrasavath

Encounters at the End of the World (2007): Werner Herzog, Henry Kaiser

The Garden (2008/I): Scott Hamilton Kennedy

Man on Wire (2008): James Marsh, Simon Chinn

Trouble the Water (2008): Tia Lessin, Carl Deal

Benjamin Button was good, but the Dark Knight was 100x better...

Haven't seen Benjamin Button yet, but Dark Knight was good. It's a sad though that Heath Ledger didn't get Oscars already for Candy and Brokeback Mountain.

Edited by Zanadu

Button was alright but it was too mushy. But its one of those sappy epic type films that the Academy likes. The only other best picture nominated film i have seen is Slumdog Millionaire. I liked that a lot better than Button. But again i could have done without the romance in that. But it's central to the plot so i guess i have to live with it.

Has anyone noticed that Kate Winslet won the best supporting actress award for The Reader at the Golden Globes but for The Oscars that same performance is in the best actress category. Some funny business going on.

If Ledger doesn't win for playing the Joker then there is something wrong. But the Oscars like to slip and upset in there and this would be their opportunity. But him winning is the closest things to a sure thing this year.

The Oscars is turning into a joke IMO.

I can't believe that Rev. Road and Gran Torino were completely left out of the major categories....oh wait, why am I surprised?

I know people don't think the Golden Globes are as important, but i usually end up agreeing with them more. And no one should be surprised by Dark Knight being left out of the best pic category. This is the Oscars we are talking about, they're pretentious and don't give a shit what you liked best.

After Crash won Best Pic a few years ago, that was it, I was done with that little gold dude.

The Oscars is turning into a joke IMO.

I can't believe that Rev. Road and Gran Torino were completely left out of the major categories....oh wait, why am I surprised?

I know people don't think the Golden Globes are as important, but i usually end up agreeing with them more. And no one should be surprised by Dark Knight being left out of the best pic category. This is the Oscars we are talking about, they're pretentious and don't give a shit what you liked best.

After Crash won Best Pic a few years ago, that was it, I was done with that little gold dude.

I think it has been getting better, even though they still discriminate against eg. black people and women. Brokeback Mountain probably also didn't recieve the Best Picture award it deserved, because the main love-story didn't happen to be a heterosexual one. The Academy has also made numerous other mind bogging misjudgements over the decades as well, for example by failing to nominate/award the following directors;

Charles Chaplin

Alfred Hitchcock

Stanley Kubrick

Orson Welles

Edited by Zanadu

I think it has been turning for the better, even though they still discriminate against eg. black people and women. They have also made numerous other mind bogging misjudgements over the decades as well, for example by failing to nominate/award the following directors;

Charles Chaplin

Alfred Hitchcock

Stanley Kubrick

Orson Welles

Agreed that they deserved noms and wins.

and i don't get how they are discriminating against women?

As for a woman who is African American...Halle Berry...I know Im not the only one disgusted with her win for taking it up the ass and crying a lot in monsters ball or whatever the hell that movie was called. She did not deserve that. And I about puked when she said this was for black women everywhere!! (uhhh, you are half white you skank) and then...she wasn't even the first african american woman to win an academy like everyone was claiming!! ummm, try Hattie McDaniels for Gone with the Wind. Actually she was the first African American to win, male or female. What a wonderful woman she was.

Edited to Add, just read this quote by her:

As the 1940s progressed, the servant roles McDaniel and other African American performers had so frequently played were subjected to increasingly strong criticism by groups such as the NAACP. In response to the NAACP's criticism, McDaniel replied, "I'd rather play a maid and make $700 a week than be one for $7."

LOVE her!

Edited by Mrs. Plant

IMO they discriminate against women, when they have their emphasis on nominating and awarding young and pretty actresses and often ignore the others. I don't think a woman has ever been awarded as a director.

Edited by Zanadu

As for a woman who is African American...Halle Berry...I know Im not the only one disgusted with her win for taking it up the ass and crying a lot in monsters ball or whatever the hell that movie was called. She did not deserve that. And I about puked when she said this was for black women everywhere!! (uhhh, you are half white you skank) and then...she wasn't even the first african american woman to win an academy like everyone was claiming!! ummm, try Hattie McDaniels for Gone with the Wind. Actually she was the first African American to win, male or female. What a wonderful woman she was.

Edited to Add, just read this quote by her:

As the 1940s progressed, the servant roles McDaniel and other African American performers had so frequently played were subjected to increasingly strong criticism by groups such as the NAACP. In response to the NAACP's criticism, McDaniel replied, "I'd rather play a maid and make $700 a week than be one for $7."

LOVE her!

Halle was the first to win for best actress in a lead role although Hattie won for supporting actress before her. I didn't feel she deserved it for playing that type of role either. I wasn't the least bit interested in seeing Monsters Ball to tell you the truth. I heard it wasn't all that great anyways. As a black woman myself, she certainly wasn't speaking for me when she said "this is for black women everywhere"! I do like her as an actress though, but not that role!

Back to the noms, the only movie I saw was Dark Knight. I hope Kate Winslet finally wins for best actress, I didn't see the movie, but I think she is fabulous and is long overdue for a win and of course I hope Heath wins, which I think he will. Too bad he isn't alive to see it though. :(

Edited by Melanie_72

I believe that's right. The movie had to be released before a cut-off date to be eligible for the Academy Awards this year. It should be eligible for the awards in 2010. I think the cut-off date is early December. I'd have to look it up.

But didn't Revolutionary Road come out at the same time as Gran Torino? In select theatres.

Would it be a correct assumption that Clint Eastwood's new movie wouldn't be eligible until next years awards??? I have not seen it yet but will soon.

That weird. Because i think he was nominated for a Golden Globe for Gran Torino wasn't he?

I believe that's right. The movie had to be released before a cut-off date to be eligible for the Academy Awards this year. It should be eligible for the awards in 2010. I think the cut-off date is early December. I'd have to look it up.

It's definitely some time in December because a lot of movies will do an early limited release to be eligible for a nomination and then a wide release after the new year.

Hi all,

Yes there is a cut off date to get nominated.You can 'primere' a film in say NYC or LA and make it eligible of Oscar.Also remember members only vote in their fields,that is directors vote for other directors,etc,...

If 'Slumdog Millionaire' doesn't win best picture the universe is off-kilter,IMO.

and if Mickey and Health don't win,.... :mad:<_<

KB

Benjamin Button looks to me like an overrated hack piece of Oscar bait...

I hope The Wrestler wins best picture, personally.

that would be a very welcome surprise.

I have no desire to see button. my mom saw it, and when asked what she thought, just said, "ehhh, it was okay" so i'll pass

Hi all,

Benjamin Button looks to me like an overrated hack piece of Oscar bait...

I hope The Wrestler wins best picture, personally.

Boring Button's screenplay was written by the same guy who wrote Forrest Gump,it's almost a carbon-copy of it(surprise!)

The Wrestler was not nominated for BP :slapface:

KB

Hi all,

Boring Button's screenplay was written by the same guy who wrote Forrest Gump,it's almost a carbon-copy of it(surprise!)

The Wrestler was not nominated for BP :slapface:

KB

Whoopsie.

Okay, then, The Reader would come as a nice surprise IMO. I liked it a lot.