Sonic Youth allies with Led Zeppelin Bassist

Appreciated. And thank you for all of the cool info you posted too- made the whole event more of a shared experience.

You're welcome. It was fun. The more I was able to dig up, the more fascinated with the project I became. I hope others found a similar experience.

The whole building.

over on the sonic youth site they reprint a review of the Merce gig from this thread. a poster said something like "the building's still there, it just doesn't have the faces in the window".. and go on to have a bit of fun mocking the Zep heads (as shoegazers do). I'd have to say this is a "show me the body" thing for me. Hard to believe. Nothing that old gets taken down without a fight. Not in New York City. If there was a fire I never heard of it. Could be this topic could use it's own thread, preferably hosted by someone on the lower east side. Show me the body!

over on the sonic youth site they reprint a review of the Merce gig from this thread. a poster said something like "the building's still there, it just doesn't have the faces in the window".. and go on to have a bit of fun mocking the Zep heads (as shoegazers do). I'd have to say this is a "show me the body" thing for me. Hard to believe. Nothing that old gets taken down without a fight. Not in New York City. If there was a fire I never heard of it. Could be this topic could use it's own thread, preferably hosted by someone on the lower east side. Show me the body!

I'm now intrigued and will take a trip today up to St. Mark's Place to check this out and see what the story is on this- bringing my camera.

Fans of Sonic Youth are "shoegazers"?

just barely..Sonic Youth are consistently a little wilder than their peers. shoegazers= fans of my bloody valentine, luminous orange, stereolab,: always looking down at often de-tuned Fender Jazzmaster/Jaguar guitars + sneakers, button down shirt and sweater, record store job

I'm now intrigued and will take a trip today up to St. Mark's Place to check this out and see what the story is on this- bringing my camera.

looking forward 2 it, albeit nervously. I'll b pretty bummed if it's gone. I swear to gods as far as I'm concerned that's the most important building in n.y.c!

over on the sonic youth site they reprint a review of the Merce gig from this thread. a poster said something like "the building's still there, it just doesn't have the faces in the window".. and go on to have a bit of fun mocking the Zep heads (as shoegazers do).

Didn't notice Joel speaking up for the fans of his other favorite band, either.

looking forward 2 it, albeit nervously. I'll b pretty bummed if it's gone. I swear to gods as far as I'm concerned that's the most important building in n.y.c!

Not to worry- the buildings are still there and looking good. I was just there a few hours ago and all is well! :hurrah:

Front shot:

IMGP7604.jpg

Angle shot:

IMGP7601.jpg

Corner of 1st Avenue & St. Mark's Place:

IMGP7600.jpg

IMGP7599.jpg

Physical Graffiti clothing store in basement of 96 St. Mark's Place:

IMGP7605.jpg

Not to worry- the buildings are still there and looking good. I was just there a few hours ago and all is well! :hurrah:

Front shot:

IMGP7604.jpg

Angle shot:

IMGP7601.jpg

IMGP7605.jpg

That's so awesome! Thanks, man. Looks great. I wonder how much it costs to live there. I'll bet it's like $1850 for a studio, $2000 to be a face in the window.

Front shot:

IMGP7604.jpg

Angle shot:

IMGP7601.jpg

Corner of 1st Avenue & St. Mark's Place:

IMGP7600.jpg

IMGP7599.jpg

IMGP7605.jpg

I feel kinda dumb now. Me and my dad were driving around looking for it for a while. Next time I go to the city, I'll make sure to go see it. Thanks for proving me wrong :D

Awhile back I saw on VH1 that this same building was used for the Rolling Stones video "Waiting on a Friend". I think there was a time when Keith Richards rented an apartment there and Ron Wood (?) owned a bar there.

Was it a bar or an art gallery that Ron Wood had near there? I can't remember.

Archived