Has Zep ruined other music for you

McSeven

Listening to Zep even broadened my taste for music,

without them I might have possibly never listened to Robert Johnson, or Tinariwen.

there is a magazine called "Songlines" which comes out monthly, very inexpensive too, and it also features a free cd of different world music, from anywhere on this planet.

They already featured a cd compiled by Robert Plant himself with his favorites in world music.

here are some things I have discovered while listening to these free cd's.....might sometimes sound strange, but try to feel the vibe open minded....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFPzDguv9gM...re=channel_page

Songlines is a great magazine! I subscribe to it as well. Robert's compilation was very cool. Pat Metheny is a great artist. The album that song comes from is one of my favorites. I've seen him perform it in concert a few times. Stellar.

Songlines is a great magazine! I subscribe to it as well. Robert's compilation was very cool. Pat Metheny is a great artist. The album that song comes from is one of my favorites. I've seen him perform it in concert a few times. Stellar.

First Circle by Pat Metheny is also one of my all time favs.

Also forgot this guy, forgive me Nusrat, whereever you may be....

(for all the people who read the discussion bout qawwali music on another thread here )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXQz1yTSGA4

First Circle by Pat Metheny is also one of my all time favs.

Also forgot this guy, forgive me Nusrat, whereever you may be....

(for all the people who read the discussion bout qawwali music on another thread here )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXQz1yTSGA4

Ahhh - one of my favorites!!! I have most of his albums. No words to properly describe him. Amazing.

Ahhh - one of my favorites!!! I have most of his albums. No words to properly describe him. Amazing.

Cool, a kindred spirit here, feel free to vibe my mind with some good recommendations too...

if everything goes right I can see Huun Huur Tu (the Mongolian band) in June very near here.

If you haven't heard their album " Fly fly away my sadness" , please go get it, it is otherworldly...

it is a combined effort of Mongolian throat singers and a female orchestra from Bulgaria, goes beyond any boundary!!!!

Cool, a kindred spirit here, feel free to vibe my mind with some good recommendations too...

if everything goes right I can see Huun Huur Tu (the Mongolian band) in June very near here.

If you haven't heard their album " Fly fly away my sadness" , please go get it, it is otherworldly...

it is a combined effort of Mongolian throat singers and a female orchestra from Bulgaria, goes beyond any boundary!!!!

Huun Huur Tu will be an interesting concert! Do report back if you get to go! My favorite Nusrat albums are: Devotional and Love Songs, Shahen-Shah, Mustt Mustt, Night Song with Michael Brook. Can't go wrong with any of them!

Listening to Zep even broadened my taste for music,

without them I might have possibly never listened to Robert Johnson, or Tinariwen.

there is a magazine called "Songlines" which comes out monthly, very inexpensive too, and it also features a free cd of different world music, from anywhere on this planet.

They already featured a cd compiled by Robert Plant himself with his favorites in world music.

here are some things I have discovered while listening to these free cd's.....might sometimes sound strange, but try to feel the vibe open minded....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFPzDguv9gM...re=channel_page

Me too--another Songlines subscriber. :) I've discovered a ton of great music on their CDs. :yesnod:

I wouldn't say it's ruined other music for me - it's made me more selective, perhaps. Definately hasn't ruined it. I appreciate the good from the bad, but I'll listen to anything that tickles my fancy. Anything.

After Zeppelin, my ab-so-lute favourite band is Fleetwood Mac - Rumours lineup, I'll add. You give me the Peter Green era and I'm indifferent to it. The shit I like couldn't have been more commercial if it'd tried and is definately a contrast to Zeppelin. I'm pretty much obsessed with the Mac - maybe more so than Zeppelin.

When it comes to Zeppelin's contemporaries none of them have ever struck me like Zeppelin have. I've got the Stones, the Who, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, et all, in my catalog, but I've never gone crazy over them. But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy them.

In my catalog I've got anything from Abba to Joni Mitchell, CCR to Heart, Stevie Nicks (my complete heroine) to Motown, Weezer to Bob Dylan. If I like it, I get it. There's no restriction.

I have friends who seem to think, that to keep in line with the whole Classic Rock thing, they must like every single band within that genre. This is a load of crap. You like what you like, and as long as you like it, who gives two hoots?

I wouldn't say it's ruined other music for me - it's made me more selective, perhaps. Definately hasn't ruined it. I appreciate the good from the bad, but I'll listen to anything that tickles my fancy. Anything.

After Zeppelin, my ab-so-lute favourite band is Fleetwood Mac - Rumours lineup, I'll add. You give me the Peter Green era and I'm indifferent to it. The shit I like couldn't have been more commercial if it'd tried and is definately a contrast to Zeppelin. I'm pretty much obsessed with the Mac - maybe more so than Zeppelin.

When it comes to Zeppelin's contemporaries none of them have ever struck me like Zeppelin have. I've got the Stones, the Who, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, et all, in my catalog, but I've never gone crazy over them. But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy them.

In my catalog I've got anything from Abba to Joni Mitchell, CCR to Heart, Stevie Nicks (my complete heroine) to Motown, Weezer to Bob Dylan. If I like it, I get it. There's no restriction.

I have friends who seem to think, that to keep in line with the whole Classic Rock thing, they must like every single band within that genre. This is a load of crap. You like what you like, and as long as you like it, who gives two hoots?

I never subscribed to the all classic rock is great theory either. I like a lot of it but some I don't and I don't feel bad about it.

I never subscribed to the all classic rock is great theory either. I like a lot of it but some I don't and I don't feel bad about it.

I have a friend - a guitarist, naturally - who just cannot seem to deviate away from Classic Rock. It's almost like it's out of his realm of possibility to listen to, say, Folk or Jazz.

My reckoning is Zeppelin created a sound - along with many other bands - but they weren't solely confined to it. I don't believe they were inspired by CR - it wasn't a known genre then. They covered Blues, Funk, Folk, Reggae, Rock. They had 'commercial' songs, early punk songs, little jazzy numbers, and then they had the real heavy epics. They had a raw intensity - I swear Jimmy's guitar sounds like a buzz saw during their early tours - but then they had a soft, lilting grace that can reduce me to tears.

I have a friend - a guitarist, naturally - who just cannot seem to deviate away from Classic Rock. It's almost like it's out of his realm of possibility to listen to, say, Folk or Jazz.

My reckoning is Zeppelin created a sound - along with many other bands - but they weren't solely confined to it. I don't believe they were inspired by CR - it wasn't a known genre then. They covered Blues, Funk, Folk, Reggae, Rock. They had 'commercial' songs, early punk songs, little jazzy numbers, and then they had the real heavy epics. They had a raw intensity - I swear Jimmy's guitar sounds like a buzz saw during their early tours - but then they had a soft, lilting grace that can reduce me to tears.

I listen to almost everything. Diversity makes it interesting and I love discovering new music. Zep was definitely influenced by a lot of different genres which is in part what made their music so diverse and unique.

What's this wierd question? How could any band "ruin" other music? Good music can only help broaden an appreciation for all music.

You might hear something in a song by Led Zeppelin from a genre you never cared for before and embellish on it. Take D'yer M'aker for instance. Someone who previously may not have liked reggae might be inspired to explore that further.

I can't understand the narrow vision of the premise in this inquiry.

What's this wierd question? How could any band "ruin" other music? Good music can only help broaden an appreciation for all music.

You might hear something in a song by Led Zeppelin from a genre you never cared for before and embellish on it. Take D'yer M'aker for instance. Someone who previously may not have liked reggae might be inspired to explore that further.

I can't understand the narrow vision of the premise in this inquiry.

The person who started it was merely stating their own experiences and looking for others to share theirs. I don't think there's anything weird about that.

We all get to express our opinions--you, nine, me . . .

And mine is that McSeven's initial question is perfectly understandable, in that he was saying he loves Zep so much, other bands pale by comparison, and he was wondering if other people feel the same way.

Stick around, you'll see much weirder stuff than that!

Actually I grew up on the music that Led Zeppelin admired and emulated. So when I was old enough to really "hear" Zeppelin, I understood and appreciated the older music more. Now the new music- is just plain crap, IMHO. Too busy making $$ instead of great music.

Actually I grew up on the music that Led Zeppelin admired and emulated. So when I was old enough to really "hear" Zeppelin, I understood and appreciated the older music more. Now the new music- is just plain crap, IMHO. Too busy making $$ instead of great music.

That may be for the top 40 bands but I think there's lots of new music out there which isn't making money but they ARE making great music :)

When you first hear something that you think is great music it's of course natural that you spend a lot of time listening to it. I remember when I first heard Joni Mitchell's 'Free Man in Paris' I listened to it many times in a row. I just couldn't believe how amazingly great it was! :lol: But once the novelty as such starts to wear off, it becomes just one of the many gems out there. Led Zeppelin never ruined other music for me - I'd even say the opposite: they opened up some things for me over the years. That, in fact, is one of the many things I like about Led Zeppelin. There are nods in so many different directions, and almost all of it is just such an accomplishment in its own right.

When you first hear something that you think is great music it's of course natural that you spend a lot of time listening to it. I remember when I first heard Joni Mitchell's 'Free Man in Paris' I listened to it many times in a row. I just couldn't believe how amazingly great it was! :lol: But once the novelty as such starts to wear off, it becomes just one of the many gems out there. Led Zeppelin never ruined other music for me - I'd even say the opposite: they opened up some things for me over the years. That, in fact, is one of the many things I like about Led Zeppelin. There are nods in so many different directions, and almost all of it is just such an accomplishment in its own right.

Agreed Otto ! I think it's safe to say that in order to get to and like Led Zeppelin in the first place, a persons ears had to be open to new directions and sounds.

Yes, they have ruined me for other music. It's not to say that I don't enjoy my "other" music, but that's just the point.

There's Led Zeppelin and then there's my "other" music.

When one of their songs comes on the radio, it never ceases to put a smile in my heart and on my face.

NO OTHER BAND/PERFORMER HAS EVER DONE THAT FOR ME.

The way I look at it is if you're going to be obsessed, it might as well be the band that has everything for any musical preference.

I totally agree with you, Zeppelin is more than a band for me, i also found the perfect combination of my favorite music styles in them, as a drummer, Bonzo (R.I.P) is ALL for me, i have it`s symbol on my back right shoulder, and obviously a great influence in my drumming style, Long Live Led Zeppelin!!!

That may be for the top 40 bands but I think there's lots of new music out there which isn't making money but they ARE making great music :)

Yes, I was trying to say that in my thoughts. Thanks! ;)

For instance, I like Porcupine Tree. Do you hear them on top 40 or rock stations? I don't. I hear them on a local college radio station. Tons of great music out there that goes unheard.

Yes, I was trying to say that in my thoughts. Thanks! ;)

For instance, I like Porcupine Tree. Do you hear them on top 40 or rock stations? I don't. I hear them on a local college radio station. Tons of great music out there that goes unheard.

Porcupine Tree are great by the way :D

Porcupine Tree are mindblowing.

They should be the stock answer to fans of classic rock who don't listen to much new stuff.

:D :D :D

Funny that you have KREATOR in your logo Jarlaxle.

They are kind of youth sentiment to me from a mighty long time ago when I was very metalminded. Just to relive some of that vibe I went to see them in Amsterdam last month, which was indeed as energizing as drinking 10 cans of black coffee at once.

Here is a vid of part of the performance, seems they really never mellowed down too much...

i agree with docron........

i do, of course, own other CDs, and do listen to them now and then...........

but usually they pale in comparison to my Zep CDs so much, that they don't get put into the player that often.

after playing another band i have to then put on something like Custard Pie, turn it up LOUD, and ...........

that's what i'm talkin' bout!!!!

If I thought Led Zeppelin were head and shoulders above every other band/artist out there, I wouldn't even bother buying other music.

Led Zeppelin have been one of my favourite bands for 25+ years, but I enjoy listening to countless other bands just as much, many of whom had little or no mainstream success.

The problem for me is there are so many great bands out there that I'll never get to hear them all!

Archived