Need help on Jimmy Page guitar values please

Hello,

I bought new the Jimmy Page doubleneck & black beauty when they came out.  I've left them in the box and only strummed them once with cotton gloves on to check the pickups.  Does anyone know the value on these?  There are no doublenecks on ebay at this time and one black beauty listed as "used/ As is"  for $8,000.00+..    I need to sell them and was wondering the value.  Have original receipts, original shipping box, case, sealed case candy, overlays, MINT Guitars w/original strings on them, etc..   They were both made to look aged, it's called VOS treatment.  Thanks for any advice.  I'm located in triad area of North Carolina.

2.JPG

193.JPG

go to the forum below, they will get you some info. you can post in either of these sections. make sure to title the thread with the guitar details like "vos black beauty price help" or something like that. since they are vos you would probably have a better shot in the historic section but be prepared to get a few snarky replies. it happens from time to time. also they wont give you anything unless you give them pictures, year and some specs. because they aren't just run of the mill stock guitars it might be hard to get a solid estimate.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/historics-reissues/

Jimmy Page's guitars are worth millions of American dollars. 

Jimmy's "Black Beauty" was stolen from him more than 45 years ago. 

Your replicas are probably worth the same value that you paid for them. 

Edited to add:  I am sorry that what I posted does not help you, but I do think that this is the truth.  Good Luck!

Edited by kingzoso

3 hours ago, kingzoso said:

Jimmy's "Black Beauty" was stolen from him more than 45 years ago. 

Your replicas are probably worth the same value that you paid for them. 

Edited to add:  I am sorry that what I posted does not help you, but I do think that this is the truth.  Good Luck!

Black Beauty has since been returned. It could be worth anything between $250 - 500K. Not sure about the Twin Neck but it'd be too rich for my blood!

It is not a replica per se. They are re-issues built to Page's modifications / specifications. Notably the volume and tone controls have pull / push pots installed.

VOS (Very Old Stock) are made with aged timbers that are as old as the original releases. The electronics (Pickups) whilst maybe new are hand wound etc. The same way as they have always been made.

At worst they are worth the original price but these would IMO, increase in value simply because of Page's association.

Search for vintage or collectors online.

4 hours ago, sixpense said:

ah, I looked on reverb but couldnt find the specific guitar. O.P. look at the price guide below. it shows what people paid for the guitars, what condition they were in and when

https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide/3031

8 hours ago, Reggie29 said:

Black Beauty has since been returned. It could be worth anything between $250 - 500K. Not sure about the Twin Neck but it'd be too rich for my blood!

It is not a replica per se. They are re-issues built to Page's modifications / specifications. Notably the volume and tone controls have pull / push pots installed.

VOS (Very Old Stock) are made with aged timbers that are as old as the original releases. The electronics (Pickups) whilst maybe new are hand wound etc. The same way as they have always been made.

At worst they are worth the original price but these would IMO, increase in value simply because of Page's association.

Search for vintage or collectors online.

vos stands for vintage original spec. 

17 hours ago, kingzoso said:

I seriously doubt that, they are guitars, not a Picasso. Jimmy's #1 LP (arguably his most valuable guitar) would fetch maybe $200,000 to $300,000 in an auction. However, once Page goes off to box city for the big dirt nap (hopefully not for a few more decades), the value of the guitars he played personally will go up exponentially.

That being said, VOS guitars, from my experience, retain their value better vs. a standard issue, but in the end if you get what you paid for them consider yourself lucky. A friend bought an Alex Lifeson signature LP (Red) when they first came out. That is one sweet guitar and the Floyd Rose w/ LP really brought the versatility. In the end though it was not the guitar for him and he put it up for sale. His return was about 95% of purchase after two years of ownership and heavy gigging with the instrument.

42 minutes ago, IpMan said:

I seriously doubt that, they are guitars, not a Picasso. Jimmy's #1 LP (arguably his most valuable guitar) would fetch maybe $200,000 to $300,000 in an auction. However, once Page goes off to box city for the big dirt nap (hopefully not for a few more decades), the value of the guitars he played personally will go up exponentially.

That being said, VOS guitars, from my experience, retain their value better vs. a standard issue, but in the end if you get what you paid for them consider yourself lucky. A friend bought an Alex Lifeson signature LP (Red) when they first came out. That is one sweet guitar and the Floyd Rose w/ LP really brought the versatility. In the end though it was not the guitar for him and he put it up for sale. His return was about 95% of purchase after two years of ownership and heavy gigging with the instrument.

I respectfully disagree..  If Clapton's Strat sold for $959,500.00 and SRV's sold for $623,500.00, I'm pretty sure Jimmy Page's #1LP & doubleneck will auction for well over a million.  Both the #1LP and his Gibson doubleneck SG are always #1 on most iconic guitars of all time lists.

56 minutes ago, IpMan said:

no way, if jimmys black beauty wasnt stolen that thing would have gone for around that much at auction(who knows how much it was being sold for as it was floating around the black market) but not the number one.  if jimmys number one were to ever be sold I would have no doubt in my mind that it would probably become the most expensive guitar ever to be sold (along with pearl gates and claptons guitar if it ever surfaces). I wouldn't be surprised if it went for a few million. 

13 minutes ago, Reggie29 said:

Same difference. Here the terminology is Very Old Stock.

no you are mistaken. "very old stock" and "new old stock" could be what you are thinking about. vos doesn't mean that they are using the same old wood and hardware they used back in the 50's. all it means is that the specifications are the same i.e. same neck profiles, long tenon, 100% nitro finish, light aging ect...all they are doing is making a historically accurate replica. if they were building guitars from a stock of supplies from the 50's the would be asking a hell of a lot more money for them.

Edited by sk8rat

9 minutes ago, Reggie29 said:

Same difference. Here the terminology is Very Old Stock.

Title from the advertisement for the doubleneck by Gibson: "Gibson Custom Historic Jimmy Page 1275 VOS (Vintage Original Spec) Double Neck Electric Guitar"

And more info from the advertisement: "The Greatest Vintage Guitars Ever Made... Today
The Gibson Custom Shop proudly introduces the Vintage Original Spec series of historic solidbody guitars. From the 1957 Les Paul Junior to the 1960 Les Paul Standard, the Custom Shop debuts 17 reissue models representing the next step in their journey toward recreating the finest guitars ever made.

The Vintage Original Spec (VOS) series is the latest step on Gibson's journey toward perfection. When you pick up their '59 Les Paul Reissue -- or any of the VOS guitars -- you will experience the culmination of more than 20 years of effort to give you the look, feel, and sound of a $300,000 original.

They started with playability. Vintage Gibson guitars have a played in feel that is hard to describe and even harder to reproduce. But thanks to a combination of superior craftsmanship and newly implemented technology, Gibson is closer than ever to achieving that goal.

Their revolutionary process -- and the Custom Shop is the only major manufacturer using it -- ensures precise fret work and a perfectly cut nut on every guitar. Frets will be leveled, shaped, and crowned to exacting specifications -- often unique to each individual instrument -- and will extend a bit further towards the binding, giving you more surface area. The nut will be carefully hand-shaped to give it a more rounded, vintage look. The feel of the neck is also vitally important to a vintage guitar. For this reason, the VOS guitars will have neck profiles that accurately reflect the 3 key eras in Gibson's electric guitar history: early '50s, late '50s, and '60s. These necks will be a bit fuller, and together with a rolled fingerboard binding, will allow players to experience incredibly comfortable feel and playability.

The VOS series guitars will also provide a stunning visual experience. Using a proprietary process that includes unique steps for staining, wet-sanding, and hand-rubbing, the guitars reflect what a well cared for 40-year-old guitar looks like. The result is a remarkable patina that will delight even the most discriminating enthusiast. The hardware will also go through a new proprietary process, giving it a look one would expect to see after decades of natural oxidation. And finally, the edges of the neck heel and peghead will also be softened, lending the guitar a gently worn-in appearance and comfort.

As always with Gibson's Custom Shop guitars, you will experience an instrument that faithfully recreates their most sought-after classics -- down to the smallest details. Including:

1-piece, solid mahogany backs. Not book-matched or weight-relieved

Historically accurate neck tenon for superior sustain -- you can see it extending under the neck pick-up

Bumblebee capacitors (where applicable), and correct routing

Historically accurate reproductions of original PAF humbuckers

Tortoise dot markers on the side of the neck

ABR-1 bridge and lightweight aluminum stopbar tailpiece

Holly headstock veneer

Period-correct stain and filler

100% nitro-cellulose lacquer finishes -- no added plasticizers"

From the original advertisement for the Black Beauty by Gibson: "Handcrafted for comfort and playability, this guitar is period accurate, and has received the VOS (Vintage Original Spec) treatment by the Gibson Custom Shop. A special nitro-cellulose finish treatment gives it the patina of a gently-aged vintage electric guitar. The Bigsby tailpiece and the rest of the gold hardware feature a worn look to match."

6 minutes ago, sk8rat said:

no you are mistaken. "very old stock" and "new old stock" could be what you are thinking about. vos doesn't mean that they are using the same old wood and hardware they used back in the 50's. all it means is that the specifications are the same i.e. same neck profiles, long tenon, 100% nitro finish, light aging ect...all they are doing is making a historically accurate replica. if they were building guitars from a stock of supplies from the 50's the would be asking a hell of a lot more money for them.

I stand by my original statement and I do know the difference. Replicas or reproductions are just fancy ways of calling them copies of original Fenders, Gibsons and so on. See Tokai (I have an '80's Love Rock Sunburst) and pre-lawsuit Ibanez LP (Ibanez Sunburst stolen from me along with an Ibanez Dove (Gibson replica acoustic in the late '70's). Re-issues are exactly that, guitars built to original specifications. The most recent change is chambered as opposed to solid bodies. Gibson Custom guitars are always more expensive than Standards, Studios and Traditionals for obvious reasons. From what I've read, any modifications made to his '59 Standards were by him or his guitar tech after market, not factory fitted. Black Beauty is a Custom. When Gibson had problems about using timbers that were "protected", it was revealed they had "old stock" that would be used for re-issues and custom made guitars until they were exhausted. Some clarification would be helpful if available. I have a '60's Gold Top satin finish with P90s re-issue, it doesn't have an aged finish.

On 6/12/2016 at 9:32 AM, Jimmy P Guitar said:

I respectfully disagree..  If Clapton's Strat sold for $959,500.00 and SRV's sold for $623,500.00, I'm pretty sure Jimmy Page's #1LP & doubleneck will auction for well over a million.  Both the #1LP and his Gibson doubleneck SG are always #1 on most iconic guitars of all time lists.

^^^

Precisely. There's no question each would fetch over one million dollars.

Jimmy P had a great overview of the whole "vintaging" or whatever to call it. A side issue here is that 95% of musicians

can't get anywhere near the cash, so basically Gibson has for a while become a long term investment business. Also

a factor is the tremendous increase of fine luthiers, etc. building small quantities of truly amazing guitars which often

find a famous player. So partially from this Gibson, Fender, PRS, blah, blah have vastly increased their $5000+

guitar stock or custom shop. The original thread,, those guitars, it would be very odd to not get 90% or much more

for them. I do know the first Page LP issued in 98' ?? a few yrs later could be had for less than the original price. Now ??

thought I saw one for $2200, one for $4000, in Vintage Guitar mag, 2 yrs ago. Rather strange.

• 3 years later...
On 6/13/2016 at 2:52 PM, SteveAJones said:

^^^

Precisely. There's no question each would fetch over one million dollars.

The number 1 -currently residing at the Met Exhibition-would fetch in my opinion min $2million at auction, that’s if Scarlett Page or whoever inherits his estate, would ever sell it, which she wouldn’t. 

On 12 June 2016 at 12:45 AM, IpMan said:

I seriously doubt that, they are guitars, not a Picasso. Jimmy's #1 LP (arguably his most valuable guitar) would fetch maybe $200,000 to $300,000 in an auction. However, once Page goes off to box city for the big dirt nap (hopefully not for a few more decades), the value of the guitars he played personally will go up exponentially

Any '58 or '59 sunburst could sell for £100000 to £200000 easily. They are extremely sought after. At auction Page's would sell for many times more