Astronomy - Planets , Stars & Heavenly Bodies

The Rover

On 4/8/2022 at 1:33 PM, Bong-Man said:

Total Solar Eclipse on April 8, 2024 (Great North American Eclipse ) (timeanddate.com)

Two years from today.  I saw the last one in 2017 out in Nebraska.  This one will be much closer to home and almost twice as long.  I've still got my glasses in the glovebox.B)  

Bring them to the next Tigers game, it might give you something to watch?  LOL.   Not that I can talk with my pathetic bunch of losers.  I hope there is some action in the sky.  None on the diamond

• 3 months later...
On 7/12/2022 at 10:36 PM, luvlz2 said:

Very impressive shots from the Webb.  I still give the voyageur first prize.  1 and 2.  I and II for those that prefer the used Roman numerals. You have to really sift through the bullshit to see what is real news and what is crap news. Every day on YouTube,  "they have found something big".  Yeah, let me know when the little monsters talk to us. Maybe at Skinwalker Ranch they already have?  If you do not know about Skinwalker Ranch I suggest you get busy learning. Its crazy.  Two billionairs have owned it. Bigelow the first.  He sold to another Billionaire and the first day he was "not a believer".  After his first day there, he " was 100% a believer".  He saw a spaceship go over a house. Countless sightings of orbs in the woods, supernatural events, Bigfoot and more.  Crazy place.  Government has it blocked off.  Surrounded 24/7. Who the hell would want to go there. Oh, I forgot to mention the cattle mutilations too. Cattle found dead, all blood removed, no gunshot, no wounds , no struggle, no nothing. Just more fucking unexplainable madness

They had expected the Voyageur to die long ago but it has really endured.  I hope my new refrigerator and stove last more than the predicted 8 fucking years the marble headed salesman predicted.  Why I bought them from that prick I will never know. 

The James Webb, the new Hubble has really been impressive.  Another asteroid whizzed past Earth the other day.   So I wonder just what they would do if we were actually going to get hit by a big one?   Like the Chicxalub that they believe killed the dinosaurs.  The evidence is pretty good based on the KT boundary.  That layer that they have not found any fossils above.  For those that do not know, about 6.5 million years ago it struck in the Yukiton peninsula down in Mexico, actually most of it in the Gulf of Mexico, as the remains of  the crater are underwater.  They have a few ideas of how to approach it.  Changing the course of it sounds the best.  Either by attaching a rocket to it or blowing off explosives near it?  They are supposedly working on it.  They really havre no idea when one of these things could pop up and really be a threat.  Sure they are watching all the time. And in most cases they can predict.  But surprises are often and unsettling.

So I wonder what the hell they are telling kids in school now?  It seems Pluto has officially lost its title of being a planet? So how many damn planets are in our solar system?

4 hours ago, Plant77 said:

As I am sure many people haven’t. 

Yeah, but I'm always outside looking, and we're in the country,  so very little artificial light pollution. 

I saw either a meteor or space junk the other night, really beautiful,  bright with a hint of green.

Keep an eye on this Slave, and eventually the Starlinks will cross your night sky. I am sure there are other searchable sites too.

https://james.darpinian.com/satellites/

*Edit - fuck me, what a coincidence, on looking at that web site to copy the link, here is what was presented right now...

image.thumb.png.a34277d3ee0865a821c4716176424b37.png

Edited by rm2551

18 hours ago, slave to zep said:

Yeah, but I'm always outside looking, and we're in the country,  so very little artificial light pollution. 

I saw either a meteor or space junk the other night, really beautiful,  bright with a hint of green.

I used to live very near the beach with little pollution. I would see some interesting things, over the last 10 plus years I have lived in the Redwood forest, it is hard to see things in the night sky unless we get on our roof and check it out.

Cheers Slave, hope you have a great week. 

1 hour ago, Plant77 said:

I used to live very near the beach with little pollution. I would see some interesting things, over the last 10 plus years I have lived in the Redwood forest, it is hard to see things in the night sky unless we get on our roof and check it out.

Cheers Slave, hope you have a great week. 

Oh it must be beautiful living in a forest, though!

Thanks, you too!

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...