Astronomy - Planets , Stars & Heavenly Bodies

The Rover

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2021 at 1:28 PM, Walter said:

While there is no proof that this was alien, as some tests seem to indicate its course is too random and too close to the Sun to be alien, two recent events have convinced me that aliens may have been here.  They are the Nimitz encounters, IE the tic tac objects filmed by a Navy pilot(I believe his name is David Fravor)  who is on YouTube often and the Phoenix Lights of March 13 1997.  The Phoenix Lights are totally without explanation and if those were not alien spacecraft, I have no idea what they could have been?  This from  someone  that studied astronomy and understands time and space.  

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

• 2 weeks later...

I found this at the recycle store the other day for 10 bucks. It's not that powerful, but the image is super clear. I think it will be great for bird watching. It has a 20mm Orion lens. How can I make it stronger? I don't know much about that. I'd rather get a quality lens for that. Recommendations?

TELE-1.JPG

TELE-2.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/9/2022 at 9:44 AM, Bong-Man said:

Yes and RIT (Rochester Institute of technology) is involved in this multi billion dollar Hubble replacing scope. Pretty incredible stuff they are finding out. 

23 hours ago, slave to zep said:

Have you seen starlink yet?

I haven't,  but would love to!

Not yet, last run around was (I think) 3 am last week or so - but that's why i love this site, sooner or leter it will pass over at a good time on a good (cloud free) night.

I have however seen a couple of the older satellites that tumble in such a way they appear to "blink" - on for a second or so, then off, and repeat. They are also pretty cool. I have seen the ISS a few times with the kids which was exciting as well.

On 1/12/2022 at 5:00 PM, Electrophile said:

The first time I ever saw Saturn through a telescope, it blew my mind. I couldn't believe something that beautiful existed, much less existed where we could see it.

R.f2b9899c1589c70705a9540f3e6e3ade?rik=U3Lnb0wn3ZSDQg&riu=http%3a%2f%2fnssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov%2fplanetary%2fimage%2fsaturn.jpg&ehk=YU3holZFQ5u1qhHNSznYFAxqUz4qUV%2bWH8OOBV0aK70%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

Can you believe all of these moons they are now discovering?   Its just nuts. Jupiter?  I have lost count.  So now with the new telescope that was just launched to replace the Hubble, we are going to get even more data that is mind blowing. I think they said the first data will start coming in about 6 months?  But I would suspect sooner?  I am intersted in seeing a planetary conjunction, and one along with the star in LEO that has aligned with Jupiter and either Venus or Saturn before.  Some believe it may have been the Christmas star witnessed by the wise men at the time of Christs birth?  Much debate over it.  Many many good shows including the British one and the one by the pastor who gives a detailed account of the bible telling us exactly where and when the star would appear and the time of the birth.  Its a fascinating show. And then we have that crazy long shaped "asteroid" that is from outside of our solar sytem.  I cant spell the name or remember it exactly, but its been on many times.  It has been speculated to be from aliens and I guess its orbit , if you want to call it that, is far from predictable.I think it starts with the leter O.  Oumoumua.  That is it.   Crazy.  When I took Astronomy in college I was lucky enough to take it the year a comet named after the Japanese astonomer discovered it.  Hiakataki?  I am sure i spelled it wrong bu that is basically it. You could see it with the naked eye and with binoculars it was a great sight. The winter of 1996.  Newer than Haley.

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

52 minutes ago, rm2551 said:

Not yet, last run around was (I think) 3 am last week or so - but that's why i love this site, sooner or leter it will pass over at a good time on a good (cloud free) night.

I have however seen a couple of the older satellites that tumble in such a way they appear to "blink" - on for a second or so, then off, and repeat. They are also pretty cool. I have seen the ISS a few times with the kids which was exciting as well.

I've seen the ISS many times, but always amazes me to think there are humans inside it!

I've seen those blinky ones, too. Very cool.

• 1 month later...

IF you live in the Northeast, look to the NE sky before sunrise and just before and you will see a very bright Venus  (morning star).

The James Webb is in full speed ahead action and has already returned many fabulous images of the universe that it can pick up.  Its really unthinkable to imagine this damn Putin ruining this.  I hope not.  Someone needs to stop the bastard.

Saturn's moon Iapetus is the strangest moon in the entire solar system. What is even stranger is why NASA and pretty much every other space agency on the planet pretty much ignores such an odd and interesting moon. According to planetary & satellite mechanics, Iapetus should not exist yet it does but NASA only had the Voyager probe (a very quick flyby) and Cassini Probe do a quick flyby on it's way out of Saturn's system. I for one think a dedicated mission should have been sent years ago.

Strange

20 minutes ago, BobDobbs said:

Saturn's moon Iapetus is the strangest moon in the entire solar system. What is even stranger is why NASA and pretty much every other space agency on the planet pretty much ignores such an odd and interesting moon. According to planetary & satellite mechanics, Iapetus should not exist yet it does but NASA only had the Voyager probe (a very quick flyby) and Cassini Probe do a quick flyby on it's way out of Saturn's system. I for one think a dedicated mission should have been sent years ago.

Strange

That's the one shaped like a walnut, right? Phil Plait hosted a series of videos on astronomy as part of PBS's Crash Course series, and one of them was on Saturn.