Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
bigstickbonzo

I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

4 hours ago, Strider said:

Best Spike Lee movie in years! Great cast. Adam Driver just keeps killing it! Who knew Steve Buscemi had a brother? For most of the movie, I'm thinking 'Is that Steve Buscemi? Damn, he looks old!" Then the credits roll and I see it is Michael Buscemi. The real surprise was that Eric Forman kid from "That '70s Show"...Topher Grace nails David Duke. Really inspired casting. I'll be seeing it again this weekend with some friends.

blackkklansman_ver2.thumb.jpg.6efed1cbb8f50321130c9610033e6381.jpg

So I gather this is not based on the Dave Chappelle skit?

50 minutes ago, IpMan said:

So I gather this is not based on the Dave Chappelle skit?

No. As it says in the credits it is based on Ron Stallworth's memoir "Black Klansman". Stallworth was the first black man on the Colorado Springs PD.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Klansman-Memoir-Ron-Stallworth/dp/1250299047

12 hours ago, Strider said:

No. As it says in the credits it is based on Ron Stallworth's memoir "Black Klansman". Stallworth was the first black man on the Colorado Springs PD.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Klansman-Memoir-Ron-Stallworth/dp/1250299047

Ha, I was just joking. 

As soon as you said Colorado Springs that was all I needed to know. That town makes Tokyo look culturally diverse by comparison. Not to mention all the shenanigans going on at the Air Force Academy. Such a beautiful place, been there once and through it a few times but you could not pay me to visit there ever again.

Can't wait to see this movie.

1 hour ago, IpMan said:

Ha, I was just joking. 

As soon as you said Colorado Springs that was all I needed to know. That town makes Tokyo look culturally diverse by comparison. Not to mention all the shenanigans going on at the Air Force Academy. Such a beautiful place, been there once and through it a few times but you could not pay me to visit there ever again.

Can't wait to see this movie.

Yeah, you are usually on the ball and informed so my bad on not catching your sarcasm.

Hahaha. Colorado Springs. Say no more. I've been there myself and while its natural beauty was nice I was glad to put the city in my rear-view mirror.

You'll enjoy the movie. While it deals with serious themes and horrific parts of history, Spike tells the story with verve and humour. There are some flat-out hysterical moments in the film. Don't be late...Alec Baldwin does a hilarious cold open much in the way like his "Put THAT coffee down" open in "Glengarry Glen Ross".

16 hours ago, Strider said:

Alec Baldwin does a hilarious cold open much in the way like his "Put THAT coffee down" open in "Glengarry Glen Ross".

Another great movie. You would think getting that many top flight actors together it would turn into a shit show as such ensemble casts typically do. Not this movie, everyone is spot on. In particular, Jack Lemmon gives one of, if not the greatest performance of his career. That and Day's of Wine & Roses are my two favorite Lemmon performances. Honorable mention to China Syndrome of course.

Oscar Isaac and Mélanie Laurent (so great in "Inglourious Basterds) on the hunt for Adolf Eichmann (played brilliantly by Ben Kingsley, who has a knack for these type of characters). Great stuff...can't wait to see it again.

operation_finale.thumb.jpg.fcdb7286faf7d44798c0e92f91552388.jpg

21 hours ago, Strider said:

Oscar Isaac and Mélanie Laurent (so great in "Inglourious Basterds) on the hunt for Adolf Eichmann (played brilliantly by Ben Kingsley, who has a knack for these type of characters). Great stuff...can't wait to see it again.

operation_finale.thumb.jpg.fcdb7286faf7d44798c0e92f91552388.jpg

Looking forward to this as well.

However, to be nitpicky for the hell of it, Eichmann was not one of Hitler's lieutenants, he was one of Reinhard Heydrich's lieutenant's. Heydrich was one of Hitler's underlings and Eichmann reported to him. Eichmann was a logistical genius and were not for him the Final Solution would not have been so brutally efficient. May he rest in pieces. In my opinion he got off too easy.

However, to be nitpicky for the hell of it, Eichmann was not one of Hitler's lieutenants, he was one of Reinhard Heydrich's lieutenant's. Heydrich was one of Hitler's underlings and Eichmann reported to him. Eichmann was a logistical genius and were not for him the Final Solution would not have been so brutally efficient. May he rest in pieces. In my opinion he got off too easy.

How they planned it. Great movie.

61obU050L3L._SY445_.jpg

Haven't seen this one.

androp.jpg

On 9/4/2018 at 12:48 PM, redrum said:

How they planned it. Great movie.

61obU050L3L._SY445_.jpg

That was an English remake of this equally great 1984 German film.

51HSCQVT6VL.jpg.ac466c24bb331619d8037614e708f44a.jpg

Edited by Strider

What a depressing movie. If this is what being a kid is like today, you can have it. Makes the 1995 "Kids" seem like a feel-good hit of summer.

large_eighth-grt.jpg.bcb03022d75d2a5534924a14df823d46.jpg

Another remake...Shane Black's take on "Predator" is not as good as the original. Come on, with Arnold Schwarzenegger, Car Weathers, and Jesse "The Body" Ventura, no way will the original ever be topped. But it's not as bad as some of the recent "Incredible Hulk", "Planet of the Apes", and "Superman" remakes and reboots. But Shane Black needlessly over-complicated the plot.

476771f09af70afb97da8ef5df6bfc61.thumb.jpg.be1ddddf03b86a1fc9fc8fe8577d3a8f.jpg

Panos Cosmatos, the man who brought you "Beyond the Black Rainbow" is back. This is probably my favourite movie of the year so far...at least Top 3. Nic Cage in full gonzo mode and Linus Roache matching him. Amazing cinematography and lighting and a crushing score by the late, great Jóhann Jóhannsson. If Black Sabbath made a movie it would be "Mandy". THIS is the movie to see right now!

pp092018-mandy01.jpg.1a5c082c8b73d041732baae578b1cf0d.jpg

Edited by Strider

If you enjoy just cinematography then give this a look. I haven't finished watching it yet.

On 9/18/2018 at 1:36 AM, redrum said:

If you enjoy just cinematography then give this a look. I haven't finished watching it yet.

An absolute stunning film. I see it every chance I get at the theatre. One of the few Russian films I like from that period. The majority of the Leninist and Stalinist era cinema is crap. The Cinematic Orchestra recorded a modern score to this film a decade or so ago. Worth seeking out.

Just saw this tonight. The Cinematheque has been running an Antonioni retrospective and tonight was the penultimate night. "Zabriskie Point" has some good points and some low points but this is definitely the high point. A woman who was a friend of Antonioni introduced the film and related this tidbit that Antonioni went out and bought some marijuana for Pink Floyd when he realized the band composed better when they were high.

This is not CGI kids...those are real explosions and real objects floating in slow-motion.

Edited by Strider

10 hours ago, Strider said:

An absolute stunning film. I see it every chance I get at the theatre. One of the few Russian films I like from that period. The majority of the Leninist and Stalinist era cinema is crap. The Cinematic Orchestra recorded a modern score to this film a decade or so ago. Worth seeking out.

I saw a snippet of it on the arts channel. I love the animated tripod. :) 

On 9/23/2018 at 2:56 AM, Strider said:

Just saw this tonight. The Cinematheque has been running an Antonioni retrospective and tonight was the penultimate night. "Zabriskie Point" has some good points and some low points but this is definitely the high point. A woman who was a friend of Antonioni introduced the film and related this tidbit that Antonioni went out and bought some marijuana for Pink Floyd when he realized the band composed better when they were high.

This is not CGI kids...those are real explosions and real objects floating in slow-motion.

He picked the right band for that scene. Amazing. I saw it when it first came out and then saw it about a year ago. A flying box of Special K.:flying: 

On 9/23/2018 at 2:47 AM, Strider said:

The majority of the Leninist and Stalinist era cinema is crap.

Something like this?

9 minutes ago, redrum said:

He picked the right band for that scene. Amazing. I saw it when it first came out and then saw it about a year ago. A flying box of Special K.:flying: 

The floating loaf of Wonder Bread is a particular moment of wonder for me.

7 minutes ago, redrum said:

Something like this?

Ha. That is actually entertaining compared to the usual "workers struggle" movies they put out in Russia and Easy Germany. A lot of tractors and wheat.

Another great Craig Zahler ("Brawl in Cell Block 99", "Bone Tomahawk") movie...although it could have used a trim here and there. At 2 hours and 38 minutes it's a trifle long. Went to the premiere last Tuesday with a Zahler, Mel Gibson, Vince Vaughn, and other cast and crew Q & A.

58fb56b977ae23a9b73449093b61d2db.jpg.a3bd723f33ee65797ad6a0933e981e3e.jpg

43509434_10156895996901907_8161972269531267072_o.thumb.jpg.256a0863bdd9917498743a4d5d72b63a.jpg

Edited by Strider

2 hours ago, Strider said:

Another great Craig Zahler ("Brawl in Cell Block 99", "Bone Tomahawk") movie...although it could have used a trim here and there. At 2 hours and 38 minutes it's a trifle long. Went to the premiere last Tuesday with a Zahler, Mel Gibson, Vince Vaughn, and other cast and crew Q & A.

58fb56b977ae23a9b73449093b61d2db.jpg.a3bd723f33ee65797ad6a0933e981e3e.jpg

43509434_10156895996901907_8161972269531267072_o.thumb.jpg.256a0863bdd9917498743a4d5d72b63a.jpg

and...

what about it? anything else, beside the fact that you went the premiere?

What about the movie?

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 4:36 AM, redrum said:

We watched it a couple weeks ago. It was phenomenal cinematography especially for it's time.

Your honesty in your reviews is always appreciated. You're my fav on this thread.

The Conspiracy movie on how they planned it wasn't bad either. I wish it had been longer. Thank you very many.

6 hours ago, apantherfrommd said:

and...

what about it? anything else, beside the fact that you went the premiere?

What about the movie?

I don't like divulging too much about a movie to people who haven't seen it. On top of that, I didn't have enough time to write more than a sentence or two. It's the weekend and people generally are looking for something to see and I felt like adding a suggestion. People who follow this thread are conversant enough with my tastes to know whether to trust my recommendations or not.

Additionally, S. Craig Zahler has made enough films by now to establish himself to those avid about movies and reading about them. Just as you can say Tarantino, Tarkovsky, or Antonioni, and most film buffs will know what they are in for with one of their movies, the same can be said for Zahler.

Which is why the theatre was packed with people chomping at the bit. We had all seen "Bone Tomahawk", "Brawl in Cell Block 99" , and "Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich" and were ready for more.

So, in shorthand, what Zahler films harken to are those gritty "guy" movies of old..."French Connection", "True Grit", "Across 110th St.", " Rolling Thunder", "Dirty Harry". But with one added touch...gore. His movies usually feature at least one gory, gruesome death...often with graphic disemboweling.

Basic plot of "Dragged Across Concrete": Mel Gibson and Vince Vaughn play cops who are tired of the bureaucratic bullshit that comes with the job. They are overworked and underpaid. Mel wants to move his family out of the crappy neighborhood they live in but on his salary, that's not likely. He then thinks he has found a way out and convinces Vince Vaughn to help him with his plan. To put it mildly, things don't go as planned.

On 9/18/2018 at 1:36 AM, redrum said:

I am curious, redrum, did you finish watching the film? You might enjoy this 1964 film by Mikhail Kalatozov (best known for "The Cranes Are Flying")..."I  Am Cuba".