Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
bigstickbonzo

I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Strider said:

Best Spike Lee movie in years! Great cast. Adam Driver just keeps killing it! Who knew Steve Buscemi had a brother? For most of the movie, I'm thinking 'Is that Steve Buscemi? Damn, he looks old!" Then the credits roll and I see it is Michael Buscemi. The real surprise was that Eric Forman kid from "That '70s Show"...Topher Grace nails David Duke. Really inspired casting. I'll be seeing it again this weekend with some friends.

blackkklansman_ver2.thumb.jpg.6efed1cbb8f50321130c9610033e6381.jpg

So I gather this is not based on the Dave Chappelle skit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, IpMan said:

So I gather this is not based on the Dave Chappelle skit?

No. As it says in the credits it is based on Ron Stallworth's memoir "Black Klansman". Stallworth was the first black man on the Colorado Springs PD.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Klansman-Memoir-Ron-Stallworth/dp/1250299047

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Strider said:

No. As it says in the credits it is based on Ron Stallworth's memoir "Black Klansman". Stallworth was the first black man on the Colorado Springs PD.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Klansman-Memoir-Ron-Stallworth/dp/1250299047

Ha, I was just joking. 

As soon as you said Colorado Springs that was all I needed to know. That town makes Tokyo look culturally diverse by comparison. Not to mention all the shenanigans going on at the Air Force Academy. Such a beautiful place, been there once and through it a few times but you could not pay me to visit there ever again.

Can't wait to see this movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IpMan said:

Ha, I was just joking. 

As soon as you said Colorado Springs that was all I needed to know. That town makes Tokyo look culturally diverse by comparison. Not to mention all the shenanigans going on at the Air Force Academy. Such a beautiful place, been there once and through it a few times but you could not pay me to visit there ever again.

Can't wait to see this movie.

Yeah, you are usually on the ball and informed so my bad on not catching your sarcasm.

Hahaha. Colorado Springs. Say no more. I've been there myself and while its natural beauty was nice I was glad to put the city in my rear-view mirror.

You'll enjoy the movie. While it deals with serious themes and horrific parts of history, Spike tells the story with verve and humour. There are some flat-out hysterical moments in the film. Don't be late...Alec Baldwin does a hilarious cold open much in the way like his "Put THAT coffee down" open in "Glengarry Glen Ross".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Strider said:

Alec Baldwin does a hilarious cold open much in the way like his "Put THAT coffee down" open in "Glengarry Glen Ross".

Another great movie. You would think getting that many top flight actors together it would turn into a shit show as such ensemble casts typically do. Not this movie, everyone is spot on. In particular, Jack Lemmon gives one of, if not the greatest performance of his career. That and Day's of Wine & Roses are my two favorite Lemmon performances. Honorable mention to China Syndrome of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oscar Isaac and Mélanie Laurent (so great in "Inglourious Basterds) on the hunt for Adolf Eichmann (played brilliantly by Ben Kingsley, who has a knack for these type of characters). Great stuff...can't wait to see it again.

operation_finale.thumb.jpg.fcdb7286faf7d44798c0e92f91552388.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Strider said:

Oscar Isaac and Mélanie Laurent (so great in "Inglourious Basterds) on the hunt for Adolf Eichmann (played brilliantly by Ben Kingsley, who has a knack for these type of characters). Great stuff...can't wait to see it again.

operation_finale.thumb.jpg.fcdb7286faf7d44798c0e92f91552388.jpg

Looking forward to this as well.

However, to be nitpicky for the hell of it, Eichmann was not one of Hitler's lieutenants, he was one of Reinhard Heydrich's lieutenant's. Heydrich was one of Hitler's underlings and Eichmann reported to him. Eichmann was a logistical genius and were not for him the Final Solution would not have been so brutally efficient. May he rest in pieces. In my opinion he got off too easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

However, to be nitpicky for the hell of it, Eichmann was not one of Hitler's lieutenants, he was one of Reinhard Heydrich's lieutenant's. Heydrich was one of Hitler's underlings and Eichmann reported to him. Eichmann was a logistical genius and were not for him the Final Solution would not have been so brutally efficient. May he rest in pieces. In my opinion he got off too easy.

How they planned it. Great movie.

61obU050L3L._SY445_.jpg

Haven't seen this one.

androp.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2018 at 12:48 PM, redrum said:

How they planned it. Great movie.

61obU050L3L._SY445_.jpg

 

That was an English remake of this equally great 1984 German film.

51HSCQVT6VL.jpg.ac466c24bb331619d8037614e708f44a.jpg

 

Edited by Strider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a depressing movie. If this is what being a kid is like today, you can have it. Makes the 1995 "Kids" seem like a feel-good hit of summer.

large_eighth-grt.jpg.bcb03022d75d2a5534924a14df823d46.jpg

Another remake...Shane Black's take on "Predator" is not as good as the original. Come on, with Arnold Schwarzenegger, Car Weathers, and Jesse "The Body" Ventura, no way will the original ever be topped. But it's not as bad as some of the recent "Incredible Hulk", "Planet of the Apes", and "Superman" remakes and reboots. But Shane Black needlessly over-complicated the plot.

476771f09af70afb97da8ef5df6bfc61.thumb.jpg.be1ddddf03b86a1fc9fc8fe8577d3a8f.jpg

Panos Cosmatos, the man who brought you "Beyond the Black Rainbow" is back. This is probably my favourite movie of the year so far...at least Top 3. Nic Cage in full gonzo mode and Linus Roache matching him. Amazing cinematography and lighting and a crushing score by the late, great Jóhann Jóhannsson. If Black Sabbath made a movie it would be "Mandy". THIS is the movie to see right now!

pp092018-mandy01.jpg.1a5c082c8b73d041732baae578b1cf0d.jpg

Edited by Strider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you enjoy just cinematography then give this a look. I haven't finished watching it yet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×