Rank of Electric Guitarists

IMHO there is just NO WAY on this earth that Eddie Van Halen is a better guitarist than Clapton or Beck. Not in terms of influence, range of styles, or technical skill! Really Eddie's a bit of a one trick pony. Hammer-ons, period. He hasn't done much since his hay day anyways. Don't get me wrong, I had all the records "back in the day" and I played the heck out of 'em. But seriously, better than Clapton and Beck? Not a chance. I demand a recount! Somebody call Al Gore! Cripes!

I agree.

IMHO there is just NO WAY on this earth that Eddie Van Halen is a better guitarist than Clapton or Beck. Not in terms of influence, range of styles, or technical skill! Really Eddie's a bit of a one trick pony. Hammer-ons, period. He hasn't done much since his hay day anyways. Don't get me wrong, I had all the records "back in the day" and I played the heck out of 'em. But seriously, better than Clapton and Beck? Not a chance. I demand a recount! Somebody call Al Gore! Cripes!

I thought about this as well and I would also like to fight for Beck to be in 3rd. Beck just has an overal better range to his music. You know from my first post how much I admire Eddie, but Beck has maintained a fan base that follows him, not a band IMHO!

Terms of influence - Clapton was overshadowed by Hendrix, who had a much larger influence on guitarists everywhere during his time. Eddie changed the way people played and looked at guitar for over a decade.

Edge: Van Halen

Range Of Styles - Clapton plays blues. He makes no bones about it. It doesn't matter if it's traditional blues or one of his pop songs. Van Halen plays blues, and a whole range of stuff based off of that. From Ice Cream Man to Spanish Fly to Secrets to 316 his range is far more reaching than Clapton.

Technical Skill - I can't even believe this one. Let's try this... post a You Tube link, if possible, of Clapton displaying his chops at their best. I'll counter w/ Eddie.

Edge: Van Halen in a landslide

I have to agree.

In the spring of 1978 when I was drowning in a sea of o Disco, a friend told me to check out Van Halen.

I bought the 8-track tape and it didn`t come out of ther tape deck for three months.

At the rate this thread is going, stuck at #3 on page 7, it will never end.

Get through the Top 10, please.

Someone posted earlier that they just don't get Beck. Perhaps that's because so much of his music is instrumental. There's nothing anyone can say to change someone's thought on Beck if they don't get or like instrumental music, but perhaps that person should go to You Tube and dial up Beck videos like People Get Ready. Or Tina Turner's Private Dancer, which features Jeff Beck on lead guitar. Jon Bon Jovi's Blaze Of Glory, another track Beck excels on. Or Roger Waters entire Amused To Death album. It may be that some people have heard Beck play and just don't know it's him.

That right there speaks of the idiocy of people. Someone not "getting" or ranking Jeff Beck because much of his music is instrumental? :lol:

This poll is for Rank of Electric "Guitarist", not guitarist who sings or has vocals with their music! Someone actually feels they need some singer to qualify a great guitarist? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ridiculous!!

Oh and to put Eric Clapton's solo material ie: Slowhand or 461 Ocean Blvd. as his shining glory is absurd. His blues/rock/psychedelia laden Cream, Mayall's Bluesbreakers and Blind Faith far outshadow his MOR solo material.

I vote for Frank Zappa as next in line. Really, he shoulda been higher than the rankings would allow right now.

Terms of influence - Clapton was overshadowed by Hendrix, who had a much larger influence on guitarists everywhere during his time. Eddie changed the way people played and looked at guitar for over a decade.

Range Of Styles - Clapton plays blues. He makes no bones about it. It doesn't matter if it's traditional blues or one of his pop songs. Van Halen plays blues, and a whole range of stuff based off of that. From Ice Cream Man to Spanish Fly to Secrets to 316 his range is far more reaching than Clapton.

Technical Skill - I can't even believe this one. Let's try this... post a You Tube link, if possible, of Clapton displaying his chops at their best. I'll counter w/ Eddie.

Hard to accept that because Clapton was overshadowed by Jimi, Eddie has more influence on today's electric guitarists.

As far as range Clapton is much than just a blues player, Cream was total psychedelic proto hard rock, his work with Delaney and Bonnie was country music and Derek and the Dominos produced the huge hit Layla. His 461 Ocean Blvd, introduced the world to Bob Marley and resurected Robert Johnson to his rightful place in the history of rock and blues. Seems to me clear advantage to EC.

Technical skill alone is very unimpressive. That million-notes-a-minute stuff can be real soulless and Eddie's solos do wander a bit. Clapton's got way more soul than Eddie. Check out "Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad" and "Have You Ever Loved a Woman" from Derek and the Dominos. Post a link to a really heartfelt Eddie solo please.

I vote for Frank Zappa as next in line. Really, he shoulda been higher than the rankings would allow right now.

Well hell yeah!!! Zappa for number three! then Garcia, Clapton, Beck and then we'll talk about Eddie's place!

Hello All!

I respect everyones opinion..and we know this is a difficult task just to get through the first 10 best Electric Guitarist.

Could you be so kind as to provide reasons why Frank Zappa would even be considered before Beck and EVH!

I know this is subjective for the most part, but we can also learn from one another along the way. I own quite a bit of Zappa, but to place him in even the top 10 I just do not understand? IMHO Beck has his own unique style and sound :D

Hard to accept that because Clapton was overshadowed by Jimi, Eddie has more influence on today's electric guitarists.

I didn't say that because Clapton was overshadowed by Jimi that that made Eddie have more influence on today's guitar player. I was being kind by saying that Clapton wasn't even THE guitarist in his generation, Jimi was. Eddie dominated the guitar landscape from the moment his first record dropped. His ability as a player and innovator are what enabled him to dominate. And today, he still does. To say that Eddie is a soulless million note a minute guitar player shows one of two things; either you don't know shit about Eddie, or, you just don't like him.

Fine, if you don't like him just say that. Opinions are what they are and everyone has them. I'll respect yours. But to deny what Eddie has done is really flippant.

Post a link to a really heartfelt Eddie solo please.

I'll give you several...

From the movie Twister... Respect The Wind

From David Letterman 1995 - Not Enough {which begins w/ Eddie on Piano}

I can't find any studio recordings on You Tube for 316 and Neworld. Neworld is the track that starts Van Halen III, the Gary Cherone record. Check those two out if you can find them. iTunes only provides 30 second clips...

Wrong. Listen to Eric doing the solo to "I Shot The Sheriff" at the first Crossroads fest. He as fast and good as Eddie there. Go to around 4:45 to hear the start of the solo.

Wrong. Listen to Eric doing the solo to "I Shot The Sheriff" at the first Crossroads fest. He as fast and good as Eddie there. Go to around 4:45 to hear the start of the solo.

Well Wolf, the solo doesn't start @ 4:45, it's a bit farther in before he starts really going for it, and if you don't play guitar I don't expect you to understand this, but the two times he's really ripping he's playing standard blues licks that every guitarist learns in the first year of playing. He's playing repetitive notes over and over really fast. And yes, it sounds good. I think you chose the wrong song to show off Clapton's chops though.

Sheriff is a good, reggae-esque number and he plays within it nicely. But I wouldn't use that to say he's as good as Eddie. Just so everyone knows, the songs the other guy mentioned and the one you mentioned are songs I am familiar with. I know Clapton's catalog. And there's a lot of his stuff that I enjoy. I don't believe though that he's better than Eddie or Beck.

Hello All!

I respect everyones opinion..and we know this is a difficult task just to get through the first 10 best Electric Guitarist.

Could you be so kind as to provide reasons why Frank Zappa would even be considered before Beck and EVH!

I know this is subjective for the most part, but we can also learn from one another along the way. I own quite a bit of Zappa, but to place him in even the top 10 I just do not understand? IMHO Beck has his own unique style and sound biggrin.gif

I could paraphrase but this gives much more information. It's quite the read and highly informative.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Zappa

I have over 40 Zappa albums and quite frankly, pun intended, I've never heard ANY guitarist play, compose and be as prolific as Zappa was in his 30 or so years of production.

Frank put out 62 albums while he was alive and his family has put out 25 more since his death in '93. That's a total of 87 albums. The only other artist I can think of that's near that is Miles Davis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Zappa_discography

His technique and phrasings are incredibly unique and so inventive and colorful. He moves me. :D

Let's not forget about Prince, Neal Schon, or Steve Morse. Maybe not in the top 10 but these guys are great too. I also have a bone to pick with having Chuck Berry in the top 10. Yes, he's awesome, and he was VERY influential for many of our heroes, but he's no where as good as a lot of others mentioned on here. Same with BB King and Robert Johnson.

Well, on another note, many seem to think the other guitarists mentioned here can play B.B. King and Robert Johnson stuff. Which they can't.

As Ed King of Lynyrd Skynyrd fame wisely use to say, the tone is in the fingers.

Don't take this the wrong way, I love Van Halen's early stuff, but Eddie Van Halen can't play blues. He's never done it and he will never do it. It might get as close as blues influenced rock, but that's it. Eddie doesn't come close to what Clapton plays. Blues may be simple music in theory, but most guitarist doesn't have the feeling and understanding to play it. Blues is an underestimated music form..

Regarding Clapton and his influence on other guitarists, before the Beano album (John Mayall's Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton), no white boy had played anywhere near what Clapton was playing on that album. I think you're highly underestimates his influence.

I could paraphrase but this gives much more information. It's quite the read and highly informative.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Zappa

I have over 40 Zappa albums and quite frankly, pun intended, I've never heard ANY guitarist play, compose and be as prolific as Zappa was in his 30 or so years of production.

Frank put out 62 albums while he was alive and his family has put out 25 more since his death in '93. That's a total of 87 albums. The only other artist I can think of that's near that is Miles Davis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Zappa_discography

His technique and phrasings are incredibly unique and so inventive and colorful. He moves me. :D

Hello Oracle!

Thanks for the response. I really do not like wiki as a lot of the info is not correct.

Again, I like Zappa. IMHO I just do not feel he is as great musically to be listed in the top ten...were still on 3 and/or 4 :o

I think I am going to have to add to my reasons for BB King to place him in the top 10..and that's OK, although I can't imagine him as an Electric Guitarist not being there!!

I am loving this thread :D

Well, on another note, many seem to think the other guitarists mentioned here can play B.B. King and Robert Johnson stuff. Which they can't.

As Ed King of Lynyrd Skynyrd fame wisely use to say, the tone is in the fingers.

:thumbsup:

Don't take this the wrong way, I love Van Halen's early stuff, but Eddie Van Halen can't play blues. He's never done it and he will never do it.

Oh, really?

Something probably a lot of people don't even know about. Brian May/Eddie Van Halen Star Fleet Project from the early 1980's...

And here's some "rare" and unreleased Van Halen Hagar... Young Man Blues...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th59bL2kKDE

Now tell me Eddie can't play blues... :rolleyes:

Great music Dr Death. Here is a great video of Brian May :-)

Brian May guitar 1992

Awesome find! I am amazed at guys who build their own guitars. Hmmm... Brian... Eddie... Hmmm... :D Excellent video!

Oh, really?

Something probably a lot of people don't even know about. Brian May/Eddie Van Halen Star Fleet Project from the early 1980's...

And here's some "rare" and unreleased Van Halen Hagar... Young Man Blues...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th59bL2kKDE

Now tell me Eddie can't play blues... :rolleyes:

Good stuff, not bad examples. But.. call me purist or whatever, to me it ain't blues. Listen to the tone, it's rock or even hard rock. Just because you bend the tones and play a shuffle 12 bar it doesn't mean you play the blues. Blues is more than that. Most rockers play too much when they are going to play a blues tune. It's about timing, feeling and silence too. Now, I am not an expert, It's JMHO.

EDIT to add: The vid with Van Halen and May was the one that came closest to blues I think.

Regarding the Eddie thing...if he played only blues tunes he would have got lost in the sea of blues players, and we may have never listened to tapping for 10 years or so.

Why play music that was done 40 years before? You can't evolve that way...

And that "soulful playing" is subjective. It seems to me that every really skilled guitar player is soulless, from what I read around here...

So the more rudimentary you are in your playing, the better... :blink:

Regarding the Eddie thing...if he played only blues tunes he would have got lost in the sea of blues players, and we may have never listened to tapping for 10 years or so.

Why play music that was done 40 years before? You can't evolve that way...

And that "soulful playing" is subjective. It seems to me that every really skilled guitar player is soulless, from what I read around here...

So the more rudimentary you are in your playing, the better... :blink:

Hello Xtazy!

We all have our opinion and Dr Death I believe was only responding to saying that EVH has played the blues. Jeff Beck was tapping before EVH. Look, I think EVH literally was one of the very few to keep the Electric Guitar alive through the 80's and definatly deserves to be in the top 5 IMHO.

But most of the greatest Electric Guitarist music has evolved from the blues...it's just a fact! You can twist it and bend it, but it originates with the blues. :D

But most of the greatest Electric Guitarist music has evolved from the blues...it's just a fact! You can twist it and bend it, but it originates with the blues. :D

Yeah, it ORIGINATES, it doesn't have to be played all over again!

That's why some guitarists get famous and some don't, because those who do changed something, they looked outside the box. People don't want to hear the same thing again and again and again.

Of course it's gotta be soulful playing, otherwise people will not listen to you. That's why it is called art, and not acrobatics. But to recycle the same licks over and over again and make funny faces when you're playing them so that it looks like you're really into it, that's not my thing... :)

Archived