Rank of Electric Guitarists

At this pick I would have to go with Duane Allman,we only had him for a short time but to me he was a game changer. Live at the Fillmore East is unreal and a must have.

There are few great innovative guitarists who manage to develop a totally different style of playing than anyone before them. One of the most emotionally charged players ever to have existed surely has to be Duane.

Relatively unknown outside the USA, he had a short career in recording, from the first demo tapes recorded in 1966 up to his death in October 1971, but was one of the most prolific studio musicians of the period, cutting songs with, amongst others, Wilson Pickett, King Curtis, John Hammond, Johnny Jenkins, Boz Scaggs and Aretha Franklin, as well as his own band, The Allman Brothers Band.

His best performances were undoubtedly recorded with the Allman Brothers, but the most famous have to be his contributions to Eric Clapton's 1970 Classic album, Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs.

A huge influence on southern rock and probably the best slide player ever.

At this pick I would have to go with Duane Allman,we only had him for a short time but to me he was a game changer. Live at the Fillmore East is unreal and a must have.

His best performances were undoubtedly recorded with the Allman Brothers, but the most famous have to be his contributions to Eric Clapton's 1970 Classic album, Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs.

A huge influence on southern rock and probably the best slide player ever.

True.

Also the legend behind the song Freebird from a little `ole band from down South and another of my picks, Gary Rossington.

Don`t get me started on Johnny Winter and Don Felder, the real genius behind Hotel Califonia.

What this threads also needs is each artist`s masterpiece.

Like da Vinci`s Mona Lisa

Of the top 5 for me.

Jimmy Hendrix-Red House

Jimmy Page-STH

Van Halen-Everybody Wants Some

Beck-Freeway Jam

Clapton-What else, Layla.

What this threads also needs is each artist`s masterpiece.

Like da Vinci`s Mona Lisa

Of the top 5 for me.

Jimmy Hendrix-Red House

Jimmy Page-STH

Van Halen-Everybody Wants Some

Beck-Freeway Jam

Clapton-What else, Layla.

I had fooled with that idea, but I figured that I'm already choosing the guitarist and making a write-up on him, so my intent was to let the write-up be the representation of the guitarist's work. It's worth discussing what the best work of a guitarist's career is though, and I'll allow it on this thread. In fact, I would assign one work per guitarist if I could, but I can't edit some of the older posts, and my selections for their best guitar work are as likely to cause controversy as the selected guitarist himself. In any case, my choices for the listed guitarists would be:

#1 - Jimi Hendrix - "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)".

A triumph of individuality in the format of a guitar song driven by wah with great lyrics (this song also showcases Hendrix's talent as a vocalist/lyricist/singer-songwriter). I love "Red House", it's one of the best electric blues/blues-rock songs there is (I was also struck by how similar it sounds to Stevie Ray Vaughan's licks, see "Texas Flood" and "Pride and Joy"), and it comes across as being as good as anything Clapton's ever done, but I find "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" to be mind-blowing. Really goes to show how great Hendrix was that he could play traditional styles that seemed completely fresh like in "Red House" and "Hey Joe", or original, psychedelic material that still seemed deeply rooted to musical tradition like in "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" and "Purple Haze". Jimi Hendrix did what I believe is the second greatest live version of a song never recorded in the studio (I'll get to the first in this post as well): "Machine Gun". The version found on Band of Gypsys, of course. Actually, the company which was soliciting Hendrix's remaining material released a copy/paste-esque track where Hendrix was mostly overdubbed, but I wouldn't consider that a true Hendrix track for the life of me. Thank God that Experience Hendrix has done an admirable job piecing together what Hendrix left.

#2 - Jimmy Page - "Stairway to Heaven" or "Heartbreaker".

"Stairway to Heaven" is my favorite song and also has my favorite guitar solo, but "Heartbreaker" is a more impressive display of Page's prowess. So I'll be indecisive and make it a tie. I used to be a lot more into ranking guitar solos, as well as guitarists, but a solo has to be considered within the context of the song. I can't listen to a bad song just because of the off-chance that it might have a good solo, because chances are, it won't help either way. The best solos elevate a song, and the solos in "Stairway to Heaven" and "Heartbreaker" do just that. I have described on this board how I feel the solo in "Stairway to Heaven" is an ethereal experience, like a glimpse of an angel. "Heartbreaker"'s solo isn't quite so holy a feeling; it's more like an orgasm. For me, Page was the greatest riff-maker, even over Tony Iommi.

#3 - Eddie Van Halen - "Jump" or "Eruption".

Same deal with Van Halen as with Page: I find "Jump" to be a better song, more indicative of Van Halen's (the band's) skill, but "Eruption" is pure guitar epicness, but I'm a bit hesitant to just pin him down with the same old song that he's been associated with since 1978. I really like Eddie Van Halen, he's probably the second-latest guitarist to get a legitimately huge following (the latest is Slash, which was in the late '80s sadly enough). Really a shame that Van Halen no longer has the gigantic audience it once entertained, it makes me wonder if Led Zeppelin would still be the shit if they had continued touring into the '80s. Anyways, Van Halen (the man and the band) is still around. The current line-up is Eddie and Alex on guitar and drums respectively, David Lee Roth who has been with the band on and off for most of his career, and Eddie's son Wolfgang on bass. That's pretty cool to have three Van Halens, hell, they could make the band a multigenerational thing. That would be awesome.

#4 - Jeff Beck - "Cause We've Ended as Lovers".

The go-to choice. It's representative of an amazing instrumental career, and showcases the best Beck has to offer (or had, the man's become nothing if not better, recently I saw him at Wolf Trap, an outdoor stage in Vienna, Virginia, and it was incredible). One thing you can say about Beck is that he isn't going to pass with trends, maybe he's never been as popular as fellow Yardbirds alumni Page and Clapton, but he's a survivor. Beck stated in an interview that he likes to keep his listeners moving from one style to another specifically so that he can not be associated with a single trend. It's a good plan for a musician, but one wonders if he might have gained more popularity if he had stuck to one general style. But who can complain in the face of great music.

#5 - Eric Clapton - "Sunshine of Your Love".

I choose this over "Layla" because it was a collaboration with Duane Allman and I think that in the case of Eric Clapton I should choose a track where he is not being equalled on his instrument of choice... kind of a stupid reason. Anyways, "Sunshine of Your Love" was Cream's signature song and it's absolutely top-notch. It is famed as the prime example of Clapton's so-called "woman tone", demonstrated in the song's solo. This song is as good as psychedelic rock has ever shown itself to be. The two other Cream songs I would have considered (I think of Cream as having Clapton's best work) are "White Room", which has Clapton playing with wah, his wah work was just as good as Hendrix's; and "Crossroads", the live recording from Wheels of Fire, and in my opinion the greatest live track never recorded in a studio (again, the second is "Machine Gun" by Jimi Hendrix). It's a radical reworking of an old blues track by Robert Johnson, who was a huge influence on Clapton, and because of Cream, the song has been covered endlessly (both because of a revival in interest caused by Cream's cover; and as a cover taking its lead from Cream's cover).

I invite all of you to discuss what your favorite song(s) from a guitarist is/are, but I won't be adding this as an official part of my list, unless there's major support for the idea. I like the idea, but I don't want to have to go through the trouble of picking a song to go along with the guitarist, because it's likely to cause disagreement, and there'll be plenty of that on this thread, major and minor. Still, I will name my favorite song from a guitarist as part of my posts on Friday, but not add that as part of the official list.

I've decided that my personal choice for the sixth position is David Gilmour, which gives him the slighest edge due to the most support with three people. Other guitarists who have been recently supported for the rank are B.B. King (by Deborah J), Stevie Ray Vaughan (by Zep 4 Life), John McLaughlin (by tom kid), Chuck Berry (by chef free), and Duane Allman (by Levee). Correct me if I got any opinions wrong, and tell me if your opinion was looked over by me. I trust nobody will complain too much if Gilmour takes sixth. I'm personally going with Gilmour because I feel his range is wider than Berry's or Allman's (those three were getting the most thought out of me, out of the six I mentioned).

I love SRV, have all his stuff and many boots but... he really is not a Great electric guitarist, his style is not real original nor influential and his range is very limited. For personal listening I choose SRV regulary but for the list of greatest electric guitarists of all time he is no where near top ten.

Duane Allman, Jerry Garcia, Frank Zappa, Robert Fripp, Steve Howe, Les Paul, Muddy Waters, Pat Metheney, Danny Gatton and/or John Mclaughlin all must come before SRV.

I agree 100%. I would also add both Rory Gallagher and Peter Green to your list, before I'd choose SRV.

I agree with Duane Allman, or Jerry Garicia at #6. If it came down to those 2 I would give the edge to Garcia. The dead might have the biggest (at least one of the biggest) followings of any band all-time. The jam sessions that they play are lead by Jerry Garcia, and anyone who has listened to them live know what I'm talking about.

Keep in mind I agree that Zappa along with the others mentioned all deserve much praise, but I think if it came down to skipping over SRV that both Garcia and Allman should be considered.

I agree with Duane Allman, or Jerry Garicia at #6. If it came down to those 2 I would give the edge to Garcia. The dead might have the biggest (at least one of the biggest) followings of any band all-time. The jam sessions that they play are lead by Jerry Garcia, and anyone who has listened to them live know what I'm talking about.

Keep in mind I agree that Zappa along with the others mentioned all deserve much praise, but I think if it came down to skipping over SRV that both Garcia and Allman should be considered.

I am in total agreement:

6.Zappa

7.Garcia

8.Duane

Now we're getting past "my favorite guitar player" and into truely "great" guitarists!

The time has come again, and I have reviewed the thread. Throughout the thread, Gilmour had what I think was the most consistent general support. Really tough this time, but that only makes this thread more interesting. Basically the reasoning for choosing Gilmour was that he had three people supporting him (including me), and there were a couple runner-ups with two. At this point, we could just be naming off the greats. Remember that when the day is done, this is just a mass-favorites list.

#6 - David Gilmour.

Gilmour's guitar-playing has always provided a powerfully emotive side which has influenced virtually every progressive guitarist after him, and it is a testament to his greatness and status that he has been chosen before any other progressive guitarist. He was one of the brilliant, conflicting personalities behind Pink Floyd. Gilmour was not originally a member of the band: he was chosen to replace guitarist and lyricist Syd Barrett whose mental state was in decline. Under the new line-up of Gilmour, Roger Waters (vocalist and bassist), Nick Mason (drummer), and Richard Wright (keyboard player), Pink Floyd propelled to phenomenal success. Barrett, who still associated himself with the band, was officially dismissed by the band. Three transitional studio albums were released while Pink Floyd attempted to find a niche in the industry: Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother, and Meddle, as well as film soundtrack material. The culmination of everything they had done was The Dark Side of the Moon, a masterpiece, and their first concept album. Inspired by Barrett, the album dealt with insanity, life, and death. A huge success, it cast aside any lingering thoughts that they were merely a psychedelic space-rock band, and remains Pink Floyd's most successful album. The band was struggling to find a proper follow-up, and opted for another concept album. Wish You Were Here serves as a more proper tribute to Syd Barrett, and the album itself conveyed Waters' dissatisfaction with the music industry, and arguably the band itself. Their third concept album, Animals, was about social, economic, and political matters, using animals as metaphors. Now the band's famous conflicts were coming into play: Waters was taking control of the band's artistic development, and when the matter of royalties came about, nobody was satisfied. Gilmour was seeking to disassociate himself with the band at large with the release of a solo album (David Gilmour). Their fourth concept album, The Wall, focused on social isolation, and was another hit. Waters and Gilmour, the dominant personalities in the band, were the only members to receive writing credits (in contrast to The Dark Side of the Moon, in which every member of the classic line-up was credited). At this point, Waters had control over the band, and Gilmour released another solo album, called About Face. Eventually, Waters and Gilmour were going to court over Pink Floyd's name, and the result was that Gilmour ended up as the new leader of the band. Pink Floyd's last album, The Division Bell, was released in 1994, and though no release, whether under the supervision of Waters or Gilmour, reached the fame of their first four concept albums, Pink Floyd was already firmly established as synoymous with creative brilliance and dysfunction. Gilmour has achieved recognition as a solo artist, and is noted as a generous philantrophist.

#1 - Jimi Hendrix.

#2 - Jimmy Page.

#3 - Eddie Van Halen.

#4 - Jeff Beck.

#5 - Eric Clapton.

#6 - David Gilmour.

#6 - David Gilmour - "Comfortably Numb".

The last solo is my favorite example of progressive guitar work (specifically, like most people, the second solo). The song itself is one of ten in The Wall, to credit Gilmour, but it was a struggle: both he and Waters wanted sole credit for the song, and a mediator was brought in to keep them from arguing too much. Although indicative of Pink Floyd's inner turmoil, "Comfortably Numb" is one of the band's greatest achievements. Again, note that my take on the guitarist's best guitar work is not part of the official list, just an opinion offered from my perspective, which is why it is placed after the write-up and the list.

I'll continue to advocate six guitarists for now. So my six choices are (in no real order):

* Chuck Berry.

* Duane Allman.

* Ritchie Blackmore.

* Pete Townshend.

* Tony Iommi.

* Jerry Garcia - My new selection. Certainly worthy next to those already mentioned.

I think David's best guitar work happened on the four albums preceding The Wall, actually. I am happy to see him at #6, though. I love him. I had the pleasure of seeing him live in Chicago back in 2006 and that was arguably one of the greatest days of my life.

Saw footage of Duane with the Allman Brothers (9-23-70 Fillmore East and 7-19-70 Love Valley) last night I was so sure he should be next on this list but... this morning I listened to SRV (4-15-84 Austin TX) now I just don't know.

Sat at the beach today and thought about how to rate guitarists. What criteria should we be using to make this incrediably important decision? They should be Innovative (unique, creative, changing the way people think about guitar), Influential (other guitar players should respect them and be effected musically by them) and mostly they should be Evocative (they should make you "get that feeling" of musical magic).

I vote Duane next.

Chuck Berry and Ritchie Blackmore for the next 2.

Two of the most influential from those already mentioned. The pioneer of rock'n'roll and one of the most important guitarists that helped forge heavy metal and also brought elements of classical music into rock music. Incredibly innovative for their times.

Ritchie Blackmore is fantastic. Not only with Deep Purple, but with the Outlaws as well.

But I don't know who should come ahead of who at this point.

Garcia, Allman, Berry, SRV, BB King, and Blackmore should all come ahead of Iommi and Townshed in my opinion. (Based on guitar skills) If we we're talking about showmanship I would list Townshed ahead of all of them.

So I guess my vote for #7 is Duane Allman. (Although I think Garcia should be right there next to him.

We are up to number 7. Loving this thread and as we continue I hope we all find new music along the way!

#1 - Jimi Hendrix.

#2 - Jimmy Page.

#3 - Eddie Van Halen.

#4 - Jeff Beck.

#5 - Eric Clapton.

#6 - David Gilmour.

For me:

#7 BB King

#8 Stevie Ray Vaughan

#9 Chuck Berry

#10 Robert Johnson

I haven't seen/heard Joe Walsh mentioned yet, so he'd be my choice for #7. A phenomenal guitarist, both as a solo artist, a member of The James Gang and a member of the Eagles. Some highlights for me in terms of his work are Rocky Mountain Way and Turn To Stone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYHNg20MkRk

His slide work on both those songs is very much influenced by Allman, but unique as well. I've always had a fondness for his work, and as far as my personal Top 3 rock guitarists go, he's #2, sandwiched between David Gilmour and Jimmy Page.

I haven't seen/heard Joe Walsh mentioned yet, so he'd be my choice for #7. A phenomenal guitarist, both as a solo artist, a member of The James Gang and a member of the Eagles. Some highlights for me in terms of his work are Rocky Mountain Way and Turn To Stone.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=XYHNg20MkRk

His slide work on both those songs is very much influenced by Allman, but unique as well. I've always had a fondness for his work, and as far as my personal Top 3 rock guitarists go, he's #2, sandwiched between David Gilmour and Jimmy Page.

Help Me Through the Night off of Hell Freezes Over is one of my favorites by him for sure. Like Joe's work far better since be became an Eagle. And dont forget his contributions to Hotel California live.

Joe Walsh is great. However I don't think he falls into this category quite yet. My favorite tune of his is 'life's been good' (turns it on on iTunes as he writes) But he definitely deserves some consideration in the not too distant future.

So SNAKE if you haven't tallied my vote. I am going to vote for Duane Allman for number 7.

Joe Walsh is great. However I don't think he falls into this category quite yet. My favorite tune of his is 'life's been good' (turns it on on iTunes as he writes) But he definitely deserves some consideration in the not too distant future.

So SNAKE if you haven't tallied my vote. I am going to vote for Duane Allman for number 7.

Yeah, I had you down for Allman. And I agree about Walsh, good guitarist, but I don't feel he should be #7. Honestly, I'd put him somewhere around #15, no offense. Just because Zep 4 Life and I disagree does not mean he will be excluded from the possibility of being placed at #7.

Help Me Through the Night off of Hell Freezes Over is one of my favorites by him for sure. Like Joe's work far better since be became an Eagle. And dont forget his contributions to Hotel California live.

I actually prefer his work without the Eagles as opposed to with it; although I love what he did on the album Hotel California and the song In The City from The Long Run. I noticed that he used to use the glass slides like Allman used, although now he uses a metal one. I like the sound he got from the glass over the sound he gets from the metal, but I suppose that's being a bit pedantic. :lol:

Saturday yet again. Duane Allman has won by the same margin that David Gilmour won by last week. Please continue discussion.

#7 - Duane Allman.

Allman is the greatest electric slide guitarist. As a member of the premier southern rock band, his work will be remembered as a brilliant evolution of standard slide guitar-playing. Duane and his brother Gregg took up guitar, inspired by a B.B. King concert. Duane's skill surpassed his brother's soon after he began playing. He took his playing seriously, and he and Gregg (on organ) played in a number of bands with limited success. On his twenty-second birthday, Duane was sick in bed, and his brother brought him a bottle of Coricidin. Allman emptied the bottle and began using it as a slide. According to Gregg, even then he was playing slide like a master. Allman spent a brief portion of his career as a session guitarist, notably playing for Wilson Pickett. He tired of the constraints of constantly being in session, and he left, quickly forming a band with his brother Gregg Allman (organ), Dickey Betts (guitar), Berry Oakley (bass), Butch Trucks (drums), and Jaimoe Johanson (also drums). They were the Allman Brothers Band, a family, by association if not blood. Although an easy-going drifter, Allman's slide guitar was a huge characteristic of the band's sound. Their eponymous debut album was not a success, but their talent could not be denied. Idlewild South went over slightly better, and a good reputation was in the makes. Eric Clapton was a fan of Allman's work starting with his session days, and he went to see the Allman Brothers Band, afterwards asking Duane to collaborate with him on Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs. The Allman Brothers Band then had their first true success: At Fillmore East, a live album containing Allman's best work to date, became widely acclaimed and popular. In October, 1971, he died in a motorcycle accident, crashing into a truck. The band's next release, Eat a Peach, was dedicated to Allman, whose fantastic work was already cemented in rock-and-roll history.

#1 - Jimi Hendrix.

#2 - Jimmy Page.

#3 - Eddie Van Halen.

#4 - Jeff Beck.

#5 - Eric Clapton.

#6 - David Gilmour.

#7 - Duane Allman.

#6 - Duane Allman - "Statesboro Blues".

Had to be something from At Fillmore East. This is easily one of the best live tracks, not just in terms of guitar-work, ever. Allman's work is just the best slide guitar... It's everything a live track should be: memorable, invigorating, even intoxicating.

I'm going to continue naming multiple guitarists at a time. Good to keep one's mind open. Because I'm honestly not sure who to choose as the sixth, I'm cutting it down to five for now. I don't feel like singling one of them out right now. So here's my five, in alphabetical order and with a brief explanation:

*Chuck Berry - Invented the rock sound more so than anybody else.

*Ritchie Blackmore - The catalyst for hard rock.

*Jerry Garcia - Had a really cool folk-rock style, popularized extended jamming.

*Tony Iommi - Heavy metal god.

*Pete Townshend - Great psychedelic rock fueled by energetic playing.

I apologize for not having advocated any blues, jazz, country, or folk guitarists. I don't know when I will, if ever. I know this is a list ranking electric guitarists, but starting with the choice of Hendrix, it seemed pretty clear that this was going to be heavily disposed towards rock. I guess we'll just see how it goes though.

From your list I'm torn between Chuck and Jerry. But leaning towards Berry and here's why: Chuck has everything; Innovation, he changed the way people viewed guitar and he really popularized "rock and roll" (read: he made white teenagers like black music for which all rock fans owe him dearly!!). Influence, every one else on our list so far count Chuck Berry as one of their main influences. Most covered a song or two of his. He is certinly evocative, I always "get that feeling" whenever I hear a Chuck Berry song. I mean that IS the sound of rock and roll. If you haven't explored C.B. check out the disc called "The Great Twenty Eight" on Chess records.

One vote for Chuck Berry.

Archived