Rank of Electric Guitarists

My list was based on either live concerts I have seen or recorded music that is for the most part timeless and cross generational.

I never got to see Hendrix for obvious reasons and I haven't seen Gilmour, Clapton, BB King or Les Paul live, mostly because I was unable to go for some reason or another.

I have however see all the others at different times over the past 35 years or so.

No. 10 was a bit tongue in cheek as he actually came in at no. 11 as I rated Page and Hendrix equal first.

I was surprised no-one picked up on it.

You are correct in stipulating that Van Halen was placed at #3 because of his tapping. The reasoning behind such a high position is that Van Halen, changed how people used the guitar utilizing double-handed tapping with the release of Van Halen. Van Halen's position represents one of the biggest reinventions of rock guitar-playing (namely the use of tapping to the extent that he used it, regardless of prior use) since Hendrix's popularization of feedback (which, like tapping, was in use before he played). I think that justifies his position at #3. I love Beck, Clapton, and Gilmour, and in terms of influence, I think it would have been reasonable to put Beck or Clapton at #3 (as great as Gilmour is, I don't know I'd put him above Beck, Clapton, or Van Halen).

My thoughts on your list:

1. Jimmy Page / Jimi Hendrix - Well I'm basically with you there. The whole list is subjective, but when you think "supreme electric guitarist", Page and Hendrix are definitely two of the guys who you shortlist. I wouldn't have minded seeing Page at #1, nor would I be surprised (this is a Led Zeppelin forum after all). Fortunately most of the people on this thread had the same reaction as you: even those who may have wanted Page didn't mind seeing Hendrix at #1.

2. Jeff Beck - I got to see him live recently, so I can testify that he is goddam amazing. Wouldn't mind seeing him at #2, although personally I prefer Page and Clapton.

3. David Gilmour - One of my favorites, but I wouldn't put him above Clapton. I would put him in the top ten, which is where he is currently and rightfully.

4. Rory Gallagher - #4? I don't agree, no offense. Again, not above Clapton.

5. Eric Clapton - I'd put him at #3 or #4. He's #5 on the official list right now.

6. Frank Zappa - Incredibly talented when considered as a musician. Incredibly underrated when considered as a guitarist. I like Zappa, and would probably put him within the top twenty-five, but not within the top ten.

7. Robin Trower - The dude from Procul Harum? I'd bet money that he'll make the top 100 (not much money though), but I have no idea where. If it's any help, on Digital Dream Door's list of greatest rock guitarists, he's #99.

8. B.B. King - That's where he is on our list, so I hope you're happy with that.

9. Les Paul - Yeah, this dude is top twenty-five material at least.

10. Tommy Emmanuel - Not familiar with his work, so we'll see about him.

Actually that list is not so bad. And would you please do a little homework on Robin Trower's post Procul Harum work? Instead of throwing him under a bus because DDD told you so? :mellow:

Actually that list is not so bad. And would you please do a little homework on Robin Trower's post Procul Harum work? Instead of throwing him under a bus because DDD told you so? mellow.gif

I didn't say I thought the list was bad, I was giving my thoughts on it. Anyways, I'll look into Robin Trower's post Procul Harum work at some point.

So there have been some complaints about Van Halen at #3. Maybe I'll move him down, I'll take it into consideration after we reach ten.

Just a suggestion wouldn't it be better for everyone to make their own list of 1, 2, 3, and so on and number one on your list is worth ten points, the second gets 9 and so on. If you list more than ten electric guitarists, all those guitarists number ten and up will get only one point. Update like you have been. Just my two cents.

I didn't say I thought the list was bad, I was giving my thoughts on it. Anyways, I'll look into Robin Trower's post Procul Harum work at some point.

So there have been some complaints about Van Halen at #3. Maybe I'll move him down, I'll take it into consideration after we reach ten.

No complaints about EVH he is very adept at his craft, it's just that IMO he hasn't really contributed much in the way of "new innovations.

It's difficult to rank anything when the criteria is so open ended but, I added my list as I thought you were compiling your own based on the choices given by the posters being used as your research data?

Are you going to post your findings soon and if so, when?

Anyways I guess we'd all agree it's JP or JH #1 then take your pick (pardon the pun wink.gif ), it's a quality field remaining and remember there are plenty of top flight guitarists that didn't make the cut.

Brian May?

I agree, nothing too special about EVH, sure the guy can shred but he lacks soul in his playing IMO. If you're going down the technical route one time Guns N' Roses guitarist Buckethead is far better, his technical skills are amazing and if you listen to his solo compositions they have a depth which EVH's compositions lack. Ah well, that's what happens when you go into a thread late.

Some of my favourite guitarists all worthy of a no. 10 spot: Slash, Jack White (anybody who's seen It Might Get Loud will know what I'm on about), Ritchie Blackmore.

Just a suggestion wouldn't it be better for everyone to make their own list of 1, 2, 3, and so on and number one on your list is worth ten points, the second gets 9 and so on. If you list more than ten electric guitarists, all those guitarists number ten and up will get only one point. Update like you have been. Just my two cents.

I think I get what you're saying: you mean that everybody compiles their own lists with the top ten counting the most (#1 - 10 points, #2 - 9 points, etc.) and at ten and above it's one point. I like that. Of course, I will keep those already on the list (they will be subject to rearrangement obviously) and I will continue to update the list on Friday. How about we start that after we reach #10?

No complaints about EVH he is very adept at his craft, it's just that IMO he hasn't really contributed much in the way of "new innovations.

It's difficult to rank anything when the criteria is so open ended but, I added my list as I thought you were compiling your own based on the choices given by the posters being used as your research data?

Are you going to post your findings soon and if so, when?

Anyways I guess we'd all agree it's JP or JH #1 then take your pick (pardon the pun wink.gif ), it's a quality field remaining and remember there are plenty of top flight guitarists that didn't make the cut.

Brian May?

Well Van Halen represents the beginning of '80s extreme playing more than anything else. Certainly he didn't invent tapping: single-handed pull-offs and hammer-ons have been around since at least the sixties. Nor was he the first to use double-handed tapping: if I remember correctly jazz-fusion guitarist and session player Larry Carlton used it in "Kid Charlemagne" by Steely Dan, and that was mid '70s, at least a couple years before the release of Van Halen. But the man did popularize it. And he's a killer guitarist. So for now, he will stay at #3, but there are going to be some changes in this thread after I select #10, and this may include rearranging the list. See the last paragraph in this post for more info.

Yeah, the research... well it's mostly notes about who people are bringing up, combined with some statistics regarding all that. I've been keeping track of the thread in a half-assed way, so the notebook isn't exactly thorough, but when I'm choosing somebody for the latest rank, I will look over the thread, posts old and new to get a feel of who would be an acceptable choice. If you want, I'll post a summarized version of the research.

I would not be surprised at all if Page took sway in this thread. As I've mentioned a dozen times before, this is a Led Zeppelin forum. But most people didn't complain about Hendrix taking the throne, although occasionally someone will state that they'd rather see Page on top. That doesn't bother me, but due to general satisfaction over the top two, I haven't even really considered changing it: I get far more complaints about Van Halen being #3. About the top three: I guess I must be at least partially biased, because that would be my top three exactly. Hendrix is the all-time supreme guitarist for me, Page is a brilliant blues-rocker and the guitarist for my favorite band, and although I'm not a huge Van Halen fan, I have great respect for Eddie Van Halen.

I'd see Brian May somewhere in the top 15, and I don't think he's gonna get a lot of opposition from anybody, although when you're talking top 15, he'll obviously be going against a lot of big names.

With ten being such a cool number and all, I think it's fitting that I change the thread's general policy at that interval. After we reach #10, we will use Rock N' Rollin' Man's suggestion (see my response to his post in the first paragraph for clarification). This will make it easier for me to choose somebody fairly, as I will just have to see who has the highest number of points (I will continue to use older posts as references). But before we get to choosing #11, we will use Rock N' Rollin Man's method and have as many people who will participate rank the first ten to see if any rearrangements are in order. If you don't like seeing Hendrix above Page, or Van Halen above Beck and Clapton, this is your chance. I am not guaranteeing that anything will change, we'll have to see.

I'll second the nomination of John Jerome "Jerry" Garcia for the number ten spot!!!

His ability to lead a band is unparalleled. The way he could push the Grateful Dead and Jerry Garcia Band to one peaking creshendo after another was nothing short of breathtaking. And he could jam any style with anybody. Saw him jam "Latin" style with Carlos, heard him doing jazz with Ornette (Colman!) and bluegrass with David Grisman.

Thanks for seconding Garcia. And I agree with everything you're saying about him.

Can we get Joe Walsh into the top 10? I'd have loved to see him higher than that, but he deserves #10 in my opinion. I found some new videos of the songs I think warrant his inclusion in the list, so rather than re-posting the old ones, I'll give you the new ones. I think they're better anyway.

I'd like to apologize in advance if he doesn't get in. I think you're making a good case for him, though so he'll probably get in sooner or later. unsure.gif

I agree, nothing too special about EVH, sure the guy can shred but he lacks soul in his playing IMO. If you're going down the technical route one time Guns N' Roses guitarist Buckethead is far better, his technical skills are amazing and if you listen to his solo compositions they have a depth which EVH's compositions lack. Ah well, that's what happens when you go into a thread late.

Some of my favourite guitarists all worthy of a no. 10 spot: Slash, Jack White (anybody who's seen It Might Get Loud will know what I'm on about), Ritchie Blackmore.

Buckethead is cool, and it'd be nice to have him somewhere on the list. When the time is right though: Buckethead is amazingly talented at a variety of styles, but at this point I think there are a lot of guitarists who are more influential, iconic, and noteworthy, even if most of the guys who come before him are not as insanely gifted and not as good at showmanship.

Very glad to see somebody mention Slash, whose work in the late '80s was as good as it got (plus, he's become nothing if not better at live shows). In a lot of ways, he is underrated as a guitarist because everybody just looks at the relatively small amount of studio work he did with Guns N' Roses. I prefer Slash to Jack White (I haven't seen It Might Get Loud yet - I just borrowed it and I plan on watching it tonight actually - so maybe I don't know what you mean). That being said, "Seven Nation Army" was practically the best rock song of the decade and hence the best song of the decade. His style is unique too - like an old-fashioned bluesman stuck in the 21st century with a punk DIY ethic. We'll see about him. But neither Slash nor Jack White compare to Ritchie Blackmore for me. Seeing as I'm primarily a rock fan, it kills me to see that we're at #10 and Blackmore still isn't on the list. I guess that's what you get for making the list open to all electric guitarists.

Oh, and for now, everybody please continue discussing who you would like to see at #10.

OK, my top ten:

1. Hendrix

2. Page

3. Garcia

4. Zappa

5. Clapton

6. Allman

7. Beck

8. Berry

9. Robert Fripp

10. Warren Haynes

So I'll put you down for Zappa as your choice for #10. My thoughts about your list (I do this for myself more than anybody, it's like thinking out loud):

1. Jimi Hendrix - Agreed.

2. Jimmy Page - Definitely agreed on the top two. In fact, I'd dare say the top two on the official list was going flawlessly, then I chose Van Halen, lol.

3. Jerry Garcia - Love him. Personally wouldn't put him at #3, but he'd be on my top ten.

4. Frank Zappa - I'll always look at him more as a musician than a guitarist, but he was great on it, and his understanding of musical theory is unchallenged by any guitarist in popular music.

5. Eric Clapton - Awesome guitarist, #5 ain't bad. Clapton's basically tied with Beck for me.

6. Duane Allman - Will always be the greatest slide guitarist for me.

7. Jeff Beck - Fantastic. I'd put him at #4 or #5.

8. Chuck Berry - Obviously deserves a spot on anybody's top ten.

9. Robert Fripp - I prefer Pink Floyd to King Crimson, and I like Gilmour's style far more than Fripp's, but Fripp is about as talented and influential (not as expressive in my opinion).

10. Warren Haynes - A great guitarist, but he's always stopped a little short of icon. Wouldn't put him so high.

Well since everyone is doing their top 10, here's mine:

1. Jimi Hendrix -- No disputes there. There are literally thousands of guitarists out there now who wouldn't have dreamed of picking the instrument up if not for him.

2. Duane Allman

3. Joe Walsh

4. David Gilmour

5. Eric Clapton

6. Jimmy Page

7. BB King

8. Keith Richards

9. Stevie Ray Vaughan

10. Eddie Van Halen

ETA: I would also add that at #11 would be Lindsay Buckingham. Very underrated guitarist, IMO.

Well since everyone is doing their top 10, here's mine:

1. Jimi Hendrix -- No disputes there. There are literally thousands of guitarists out there now who wouldn't have dreamed of picking the instrument up if not for him.

2. Duane Allman

3. Joe Walsh

4. David Gilmour

5. Eric Clapton

6. Jimmy Page

7. BB King

8. Keith Richards

9. Stevie Ray Vaughan

10. Eddie Van Halen

ETA: I would also add that at #11 would be Lindsay Buckingham. Very underrated guitarist, IMO.

Well I've had you down for Walsh for awhile now, but I didn't know you held him in regard as high as that. Will definitely have to look into him more (I've been watching the videos you put up with interest). Anyways since I did it for chef free, I might as well do it for you (hope this doesn't piss anyone off):

1. Jimi Hendrix - An obvious choice that most people will be content with.

2. Duane Allman - Love his work, but wouldn't put him second (to my surprise, Rolling Stone did, putting him behind only Hendrix - not a bad top two, but of course Hendrix and Allman are exactly the kind of people they would put on the list).

3. Joe Walsh - I've had to look past his work with the Eagles since you've been advocating him.

4. David Gilmour - My favorite progressive guitarist, probably my favorite individual in the whole genre.

5. Eric Clapton - Good spot for him.

6. Jimmy Page - Would put him above Clapton, although they're both excellent.

7. B.B. King - Great blues player.

8. Keith Richards - Like George Harrison, he is not regarded in the same light as Clapton or Beck, but both he and Harrison were successful in forging their own sounds.

9. Stevie Ray Vaughan - Another incredible blues player. Rest in peace.

10. Eddie Van Halen - I've already said I'd put him higher, but I'm not going to complain. After all he's currently #3 on our official list.

11. Lindsey Buckingham - Great. Underrated as a guitarist.

I don't want anyone to think that I discredit the work Walsh did with the Eagles -- I don't. I just happen to think the stuff he did before then is better representative of his overall talents. Also I know that on a Led Zeppelin message board #6 might be an odd place to put Jimmy Page, but while I love the work he did with the group and think he was fantastic, there were just better guitarists out there whether technically or emotionally or some combo of the two.

No offense is intended to those who think different, of course.

I might as well post my personal top 10. Note that regardless of where he is ranked on this personal list, my choice for #10 is Jerry Garcia. Feel free to comment on my list seeing as I took the liberty of commenting on all of yours.

1. Jimi Hendrix.

2. Jimmy Page.

3. Eddie Van Halen.

4. Eric Clapton.

5. Jeff Beck.

6. David Gilmour.

7. Jerry Garcia.

8. Pete Townshend.

9. Ritchie Blackmore.

10. Chuck Berry.

Actually, I think I've done personal top ten lists on this thread like twice or so, and I'm pretty sure they're all different. Ah whatever, there's my latest perspective.

I prefer Slash to Jack White (I haven't seen It Might Get Loud yet - I just borrowed it and I plan on watching it tonight actually - so maybe I don't know what you mean). That being said, "Seven Nation Army" was practically the best rock song of the decade and hence the best song of the decade. His style is unique too - like an old-fashioned bluesman stuck in the 21st century with a punk DIY ethic.

What I meant about It Might Get Loud was that it makes you see how great a guitar player Jack really is IMO. Before seeing that movie I never really rated him but I've reassessed his stuff now and really think he'll go down as one of the true modern guitar greats. Also, his love of the old blues records makes him a tad different to other modern guitar players. If anything I'd say Jack White is the modern day Jimmy Page.

Agree with you about Slash, he keeps getting better and better. Him and Myles Kennedy a this year's Download was one of the best rock shows I have ever seen. Definitely the highlight of the weekend for me. Although I am biased as GN'R are one of my all time faves alongside Zeppelin and Floyd.

And as everyone else is doing it, here's my top 10:

1. Jimmy Page (I'm a guitarist on a Zep forum, go figure)

2. Jimi Hendrix

3. Buckethead

4. Jeff Beck

5. David Gilmour

6. Ritchie Blackmore

7. Slash

8. Jerry Garcia

9. Billy Corgan

10.Jack White

You may think Corgan is an odd choice, however I think he's underrated. Also, I think his signature guitar is one of the best guitars ever made and he designed it. You can play anything on it be it heavy metal, jazz, blues and it sounds as though it was built for it.

Of course my personal top 10 is ever changing and I'm kind of annoyed I missed out Peter Green, it was close between him and Garcia.

It's nice to see someone else mention Buckethead. His skill level is unreal, especially with a fretless guitar (correct me if I'm wrong on this one).

I'm not sure if he's better than Zappa or Garcia.

I'd vote Garcia for number 10.

I've updated my list.

1. Jimmy Page

2. Jimi Hendrix

3. Jeff Beck

4. David Gilmour

5. Rory Gallagher

6. Eric Clapton

7. Frank Zappa

8. Robin Trower

9. BB King

10. Les Paul

Another couple to ponder, Neil Young (listen to / watch Live Rust or Weld and you'll know what I'm talking about) and Leslie West.

In keeping with reviewing everybody's top ten lists, here are my replies to the last two. Feel free to critique my own if you want to.

1. Jimmy Page (I'm a guitarist on a Zep forum, go figure)

2. Jimi Hendrix

3. Buckethead

4. Jeff Beck

5. David Gilmour

6. Ritchie Blackmore

7. Slash

8. Jerry Garcia

9. Billy Corgan

10.Jack White

1. Jimmy Page - No complaints or comments.

2. Jimi Hendrix - Ditto.

3. Buckethead - Cool player. Wouldn't make my top ten though.

4. Jeff Beck - Good place for him.

5. David Gilmour - Also good place for him.

6. Ritchie Blackmore - Great player, and a rock guitar icon close in caliber to the three Yardbirds guitarist.

7. Slash - I also want to see him somewhere high on the list.

8. Jerry Garcia - Close to where I'd put him.

9. Billy Corgan - Not really familiar with the Smashing Pumpkins, haven't heard much.

10. Jack White - Good guitarist on the whole. Has a good chance of making the list (which is to say the top 100; don't know if the thread will go beyond 100, we'll see when we get there).

1. Jimmy Page

2. Jimi Hendrix

3. Jeff Beck

4. David Gilmour

5. Rory Gallagher

6. Eric Clapton

7. Frank Zappa

8. Robin Trower

9. BB King

10. Les Paul

Another couple to ponder, Neil Young (listen to / watch Live Rust or Weld and you'll know what I'm talking about) and Leslie West.

1. Jimmy Page - As with the prior list, no complaints or comments.

2. Jimi Hendrix - Ditto.

3. Jeff Beck - Having seen him live, I can testify to this one.

4. David Gilmour - Easily one of the greats.

5. Rory Gallagher - Not to much for me to say here. Brilliant player of course.

6. Eric Clapton - I'd put him higher, but that's just me.

7. Frank Zappa - Zappa had an immense understanding of how music works, so it's no surprise that he's so highly regarded.

8. Robin Trower - Nothing new to say, haven't looked beyond his Procul Harum work yet.

9. B.B. King - A candidate for the ultimate blues guitarist.

10. Les Paul - Extremely influential for an older generation of players, not as well known to a lot of newer ones (I only knew the vaguest details about his work until recently).

I'm a fan of Neil Young's work. Only know Leslie West through a couple Mountain songs.

I'd vote Garcia for number 10.

Garcia is definitely winning in terms of recent support. It will be interesting to see how the list changes after we use the new policy, which starts after #10 (two Fridays from now).

1)Jimi Hendrix

2)Jimmy Page

3)Eric Clapton

4)Chuck Berry

5)Van Halen

6)Ritchie Blackmore

7)David Gilmour

8)Joe Satriani

9)Brian May

10)Robert Johnson

I'd like to mention that I thought we were talking about influential guitarists, not our favorite guitarists, you know. I personally listen a lot more to Slash, Angus Young or SRV than to some of those guys on the list, but they were far more influential than my favorite guitar players.

Personally I don't have a problem with the list as it is now, although I don't consider BB King a great guitarist...

Archived