Rank of Electric Guitarists

Regarding the Eddie thing...if he played only blues tunes he would have got lost in the sea of blues players, and we may have never listened to tapping for 10 years or so.

Why play music that was done 40 years before? You can't evolve that way...

And that "soulful playing" is subjective. It seems to me that every really skilled guitar player is soulless, from what I read around here...

So the more rudimentary you are in your playing, the better... :blink:

I don't want Eddie to play in any other way than he does, or he want to do.

40 year old music or future music, I suppose there is something to learn from both.

In reverse, you and others are saying the "soulful" players aren't skilled, so it's not a one way street. As I have written in prevous posts in this thread, you can't rank who's the greatest guitarist. It's plain silly. What makes a guitarist great? I'd say it's highly subjective. Musicianship is an art form where you express feelings together with different techniques.

EDIT to add to your latest post.. In a way we're on the same page.

BTW, funny faces is hardly a blues thing and Eddie Van Halen's licks has been beaten to death since he started to play guitar. Everybody plays that way nowdays! ;)

Hello Oracle!

Thanks for the response. I really do not like wiki as a lot of the info is not correct.

Again, I like Zappa. IMHO I just do not feel he is as great musically to be listed in the top ten...were still on 3 and/or 4 :o

I think I am going to have to add to my reasons for BB King to place him in the top 10..and that's OK, although I can't imagine him as an Electric Guitarist not being there!!

I am loving this thread :D

There's plenty of information on those links and they're referenced. So if you want to know why I consider Zappa so highly regarded, the reading will tell you. You asked.

There are plenty of examples of his variety, skill and taste to be found. Show me a guitarist who has that expansive of a catalog. He played from his own simple blues to highly sophisticated, orchestrated pieces and everything in between. And his licks? So unique, they can't be compared to others. Sure he has influences but he adapted them to his peculiar style.

Aren't we on number 4 now?? As much as I would prefer Clapton to Van Halen it isn't how the cards fell. I wont lose (much) sleep over it.

1. Hendrix

2. Paige

3. Van Halen

4....My vote goes to Clapton

I don't disagree with any of the guitarists mentioned by others in this thread. However can we please stay somewhat close to the task at hand? Mentioning people that "might be in your top 10-15" should be mentioned when we get to the top 10-15.

Right now it still seems like its Beck Vs Clapton.

Aren't we on number 4 now?? As much as I would prefer Clapton to Van Halen it isn't how the cards fell. I wont lose (much) sleep over it.

1. Hendrix

2. Paige

3. Van Halen

4....My vote goes to Clapton

I don't disagree with any of the guitarists mentioned by others in this thread. However can we please stay somewhat close to the task at hand? Mentioning people that "might be in your top 10-15" should be mentioned when we get to the top 10-15.

Right now it still seems like its Beck Vs Clapton.

Hello Zep 4 Life!

I admit I got a little ahead of myself there :P , We were given the opportunity until Friday to give reasons why we felt someone should be listed differently. Of course I am for Beck in 3rd, but if the cards fall with EVH we move on.

Of course for me if EVH takes 3rd, then my choice for #4 is Beck. :D

Ahh I thought it was last Friday. Sorry for any confusion.

Vote Clapton for 3rd. lol

I agree, Clapton for 3rd, Beck for 4th.

They are so close, in my opinion, that I would also agree with Beck at 3 and Clapton at 4.

EVH or Carlos Santana for 5. Personally, I would vote for Santana. EVH is in the top ten, for sure, but in my opinion, he does not belong before Beck and Clapton.

EVH is not even the top 80's guitarist, in my opinion.

Kirk Hammett of Metallica and Dave Mustaine of Megadeath, formerly of Metallica, are better guitarists than EVH, in my opinion. Of course, they are not "classic" rock guitarists, if that is the criteria that we are using. But as far as skills go, they are great guitarists.

Edited to say: I don't think that Zappa is in the top ten, just my opinion, there are others that are more deserving and better guitarists than him. And BB King said on the U2 "Rattle and Hum" video that he can't play guitar chords, lol. He can only play "licks". I would think that a top ten guitarists should know how to play chords at least. He is one of the "fathers of the blues", whom all of the guitar greats admired and emulated. That puts him in an esteemed position, but does not in itself make him qualified to be in the top ten. Same with Robert Johnson, Leadbelly, Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Buddy Guy, Blind Willie Johnson, Son House, and the other blues masters that have been mentioned. Just my opinion.

I agree, Clapton for 3rd, Beck for 4th.

I thought it was already decided who was 3... Eddie Van Halen. Weren't we discussing who was 4th? This is taking two steps up and one step back... and Deborah is correct, we'll never get to 10 let alone 100 if we keep this up.

I thought it was already decided who was 3... Eddie Van Halen. Weren't we discussing who was 4th? This is taking two steps up and one step back... and Deborah is correct, we'll never get to 10 let alone 100 if we keep this up.

So sorry, just following the post above me who said "Clapton for 3rd", which I agreed with.

It is an impossible task, to get everyone to agree on even the top ten, let alone the top 100.

This classification is futile and meaningless, as everyone has different tastes and opinions, and we will never reach a consensus. I think that most of us would agree to Hendrix at one and Jimmy at two. The rest will never be agreed upon.

Zappa probably knows more about music than Jimi, Jimmy and Eddie put together!

He may possibly "know" more about music than the others if he has had a formal education in music, the others are self taught.

But he can't "play guitar" better than the others, Eric included.

Doesn't make him a better guitarist, just because he "knows" music.

Again, it is subjective as to who is better.

He may possibly "know" more about music than the others if he has had a formal education in music, the others are self taught.

But he can't "play guitar" better than the others, Eric included.

Doesn't make him a better guitarist, just because he "knows" music.

Again, it is subjective as to who is better.

Of course that's subjective too.

And yes he did!!!! tongue.gif

He had tons more in his repetoire of ALL styles.

Oh and, Frank was entirely self-taught too. Even as a composer/writer/performer.

Just a tidbit of the information out there about Zappa.

Zappa was a 26-year-old, self-taught composer with long hair and a funny goatee when he walked into a Capitol Records studio in Los Angeles and handed an orchestra charts for Lumpy Gravy.

Lumpy Gravy is a suite of three-minute movements, built on Zappa's love of 20th-century classical music (particularly that of Edgard Varese), R&B and jazz. The music is not easy to play. Some of L.A.'s best studio musicians balked at the parts Zappa had written — until he picked up his guitar and tossed off the sections he'd written for bassoon and bass clarinet. Gail Zappa says musicians are still struggling to play what her husband wrote.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102907874

I honestly feel that many/most people haven't a clue as to Zappa. They mostly know the silly "Valley Girl" stuff or his more comical material and not his jazz or avantgarde rock/blues/classical etc. I know most could careless and not WANT to read about him or even explore his over 60 records to find what I'm alluding to. So be it. Let's just have another boring top 10 list...or even another boring top 500 Memorial Day/Labor Day playlist of songs that have been overplayed to death and represent about 1%, at best, of the music out there. It's sad.

Just a tidbit of the information out there about Zappa.

Zappa was a 26-year-old, self-taught composer with long hair and a funny goatee when he walked into a Capitol Records studio in Los Angeles and handed an orchestra charts for Lumpy Gravy.

Lumpy Gravy is a suite of three-minute movements, built on Zappa's love of 20th-century classical music (particularly that of Edgard Varese), R&B and jazz. The music is not easy to play. Some of L.A.'s best studio musicians balked at the parts Zappa had written — until he picked up his guitar and tossed off the sections he'd written for bassoon and bass clarinet. Gail Zappa says musicians are still struggling to play what her husband wrote.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102907874

I honestly feel that many/most people haven't a clue as to Zappa. They mostly know the silly "Valley Girl" stuff or his more comical material and not his jazz or avantgarde rock/blues/classical etc. I know most could careless and not WANT to read about him or even explore his over 60 records to find what I'm alluding to. So be it. Let's just have another boring top 10 list...or even another boring top 500 Memorial Day/Labor Day playlist of songs that have been overplayed to death and represent about 1%, at best, of the music out there. It's sad.

I agree w/ your assessment of Zappa. I like that you are so passionate about him and his music. One thing I have learned in being on a message board is that talking down to people doesn't help make your point, it does in fact, drive the very ones you are hoping to sway, away from your point.

My suggestion, which you can ignore if you wish, is to provide some links to .mp3's and/or You Tube videos of his music that you believe others would find interesting. I have a feeling there are many people reading this thread but sadly, only a few posting. Perhaps some don't want to argue a point, but I feel the action speaks louder than words.

Somebody said Van Halen can't, and never has, played the blues. I provided 3 videos that prove otherwise. That he wants to discount them because of Eddie's tone is his right, it's still Eddie playing some kick-ass blues.

So... give us some Zappa that will blow us away. Don't worry about it being commercial, just provide us w/ some Zappa that turns you on. You never know, instead of angering people you might make some new Zappa fans.

Just a thought...

Interesting thread and for the most part I understand what the goal is, though these things always get polluted by opinion and personal faves. Also mass popularity has a way of elevating musicians to a status greater than their actual contribution. Forming objective opionions is tough since the criteria has to include influence, innovation, creativity, technical mastery etc. I will say I completely agree with #1 and #3.

that said I think Tony Iommi needs to be considered fairly high up on the list. His influence is arguably second only to Hendrix. Some will argue he lacks technical prowess but I truly believe its due to his dedication to play within the "Sabbath sound". The few brief acoustic pieces the Sabs did show he was nimble fingered and had depth beyond the heavy riffing favored by their style.

Worth mentioning is Clarence White. His pioneering use of the B-bender was as innovative as anything of his era. Things like that have to be taken into consideration despite his lack of popularity and exposure. Not many guitarists can say they were the first to actually do something, he was.

1. Jimmy Page (easily)

2. Clapton (narrowly)

3. Hendrix

4. Santana and Dicky Betts (tie)

5. Rhodes ( could have been higher if he lived longer)

6. Blackmore, Beck, Allman, Perry and many others I suppose tied that I can't bring to mind

hmmmm....no... :sarcastic_hand:

Somebody said Van Halen can't, and never has, played the blues. I provided 3 videos that prove otherwise. That he wants to discount them because of Eddie's tone is his right, it's still Eddie playing some kick-ass blues.

Pardon me Dr Death, but I have higher standard when it comes to blues. The tone was ONE of several things I mentioned. And as stated, I don't mind Eddie Van Halen and I love a lot of his playing, espesially the early days of Van Halen, which I own every single record of. But he is no blues guitarist. Listen to Red House with Jimi Hendrix Experience and then to the videos you provided with EVH. If you don't understand it, so be it..

Rgrds

Somebody

Pardon me Dr Death, but I have higher standard when it comes to blues. The tone was ONE of several things I mentioned. And as stated, I don't mind Eddie Van Halen and I love a lot of his playing, espesially the early days of Van Halen, which I own every single record of. But he is no blues guitarist. Listen to Red House with Jimi Hendrix Experience and then to the videos you provided with EVH. If you don't understand it, so be it..

Rgrds

Somebody

As I was replying to the post I looked to see who it was that said Eddie can't play blues, as it was on the previous page I couldn't find your name, w/ out opening a new window and going through the thread again. So, forgive me for being lazy. It wasn't meant to be a jab at you.

It's great that you have a higher standard when it comes to blues. I've been listening to, and playing, blues for over 30 years. In that time I've seen some great ones in concert, like Albert Collins, Buddy Guy, SRV, Chris Duarte and the aforementioned Clapton. I was friends w/ one of the great acoustic slide players, someone you may know of from Robert's solo career; Rainer Ptacek.

I also love hearing guys play blues who don't usually play in that genre. I saw Yngwie play Red House. For a shredder he did a very nice version. Of course it was Yngwie, so it had his sound/tone and he played some blinding runs, but it was cool to see him out of his known comfort zone and experimenting w/ something different.

As a musician I would find it boring if all blues was played exactly the same. Everyone who plays an instrument has their own unique voice. Buddy Guy is one who is seen as one of the Godfathers of blues, yet live his tone can be very rock oriented. He even dabbles in some Hendrix in concert. To me, I love that.

I get the feeling you're taking this a little too personal, and if I did anything to cause that or upset you, then I apologize. Music is a universal language, I can go anywhere in the world w/ my guitar and get someone to relate to me. It's all in how you relate to someone. As I said earlier, if music moves you, then it has succeeded. It's really that simple.

I am very familiar w/ Jimi Hendrix, as it was Jimi who first inspired me to pick a guitar up some 33 years ago. I have versions of him playing Hear My Train A Coming that are just awe-inspiring. Even Machine Gun, w/ its dropped tuning and heavy rock vibe, is one of the greatest blues songs ever.

So... sorry Swede, I didn't call you "someone" to piss you off, your post just wasn't available at the time.

As I was replying to the post I looked to see who it was that said Eddie can't play blues, as it was on the previous page I couldn't find your name, w/ out opening a new window and going through the thread again. So, forgive me for being lazy. It wasn't meant to be a jab at you.

It's great that you have a higher standard when it comes to blues. I've been listening to, and playing, blues for over 30 years. In that time I've seen some great ones in concert, like Albert Collins, Buddy Guy, SRV, Chris Duarte and the aforementioned Clapton. I was friends w/ one of the great acoustic slide players, someone you may know of from Robert's solo career; Rainer Ptacek.

I also love hearing guys play blues who don't usually play in that genre. I saw Yngwie play Red House. For a shredder he did a very nice version. Of course it was Yngwie, so it had his sound/tone and he played some blinding runs, but it was cool to see him out of his known comfort zone and experimenting w/ something different.

As a musician I would find it boring if all blues was played exactly the same. Everyone who plays an instrument has their own unique voice. Buddy Guy is one who is seen as one of the Godfathers of blues, yet live his tone can be very rock oriented. He even dabbles in some Hendrix in concert. To me, I love that.

I get the feeling you're taking this a little too personal, and if I did anything to cause that or upset you, then I apologize. Music is a universal language, I can go anywhere in the world w/ my guitar and get someone to relate to me. It's all in how you relate to someone. As I said earlier, if music moves you, then it has succeeded. It's really that simple.

I am very familiar w/ Jimi Hendrix, as it was Jimi who first inspired me to pick a guitar up some 33 years ago. I have versions of him playing Hear My Train A Coming that are just awe-inspiring. Even Machine Gun, w/ its dropped tuning and heavy rock vibe, is one of the greatest blues songs ever.

So... sorry Swede, I didn't call you "someone" to piss you off, your post just wasn't available at the time.

No worries, you really didn't piss me off, but I understand if it came across that way, sorry about that. It's not easy to express everything in a text.

I suppose we just relates to blues differetly. I just have a hard time hearing people call stuff like Honkin' on Hobo (Aerosmith) and that kind of music for blues. To me it's like any other rock record played in a 12 bar format. I really love all kinds of old blues (anything between country blues to Chicago blues) and too many seem to shove it off as simple music which is something everybody can play. That's probably the reason why I get kind of defensive in the matter. Although I do love progressive music, sometimes I just feel that nothing can top a real great blues tune in it's original art form.

Hope that explains my feeling regarding the blues.

EDIT to ad: Indeed, Buddy Guy is a very tasteful player. Regretfully, I have never seen him (or any of the guys you mentioned) live in concert. I love the stuff Buddy Guy recorded for Cobra and Chess.

For some reason I was never into SRV, although he was a great guitarist. I believe it's mostly the production on his records that kind of put me off..

Cheers

Hello Everyone!

I wanted to share this with you as we are here to discuss and learn about what we as a group feel are the best Electric Guitarist. I love to hear the stories from the greats. I hope you enjoy as I did :D

BB King and Buddy Guy on Meeting Jimi Hendrix on SIRIUS XM Radio

Buddy Guy Recounts the 60s, Hearing Eric Clapton, Race & the Blues on SIRIUS|XM Radio sirius

Hello Oracle!

Thanks for the response. I really do not like wiki as a lot of the info is not correct.

Again, I like Zappa. IMHO I just do not feel he is as great musically to be listed in the top ten...were still on 3 and/or 4 :o

I think I am going to have to add to my reasons for BB King to place him in the top 10..and that's OK, although I can't imagine him as an Electric Guitarist not being there!!

I am loving this thread :D

Wiki isn't correct only where the source has not been cited... Unless of course the source itself is incorrect.

Archived