Chris Squire Rumours

Mook

I've read in two or three Zeppelin books that there was a point that they were thinking of getting Squire in & moving Jones to keyboards permanently. Does anyone have any details on this?

I was listening to the Seattle bootleg tonight & it struck me how ludicrous this decision might've been, John Paul Jones was 10 times the bass player he was a keyboardist.

^ This is what I remember as well. There were recorded sessions with Page, Squire, and Alan White I believe and they wanted Plant on vocals of which he declined. Fortune Hunter was one of the songs developed at these sessions of which Page (Firm) would use. Squire (Yes) would record a version of the song Mind Drive for the album 90125.

The idea of Squire in Zep is just silly, he would not fit nor would he put up with either Jimmy's or Bonzo's BS (as is evident with the project XYZ going nowhere). Plus Squire was a pretty big and pretty aggressive guy in his own right. He likely would have knocked Bonham on his ass the first time he showed up drunk to a rehearsal.

If Zep were ever going to expand the lineup it would have been with a second guitarist / multi-instrumentalist.

48 minutes ago, Mook said:

In the books I read, I believe it was discussed somewhere around the '73 to '75 period.

Of course it could've been nonsense from the likes of Davis & Cole.

This would have been when Jones was talking about leaving the band after the 1973 tour to become a Choirmaster or something less raucous and road-weary than a member of Led Zeppelin.

Of course the band talked Jones into staying...I'm sure they promised less exhaustive touring as one of the concessions. I doubt the idea of having to replace Jones ever progressed past the rhetorical stage...just idle wonderings in the minds of the principals involved.

In other words, I doubt an actual offer to Chris Squire was ever tendered in writing or verbally. And no, it would not have worked...for all of Chris' gifts, he wasn't funky enough to mesh with Bonham and Zeppelin.

2 hours ago, IpMan said:

The idea of Squire in Zep is just silly, he would not fit nor would he put up with either Jimmy's or Bonzo's BS (as is evident with the project XYZ going nowhere). Plus Squire was a pretty big and pretty aggressive guy in his own right. He likely would have knocked Bonham on his ass the first time he showed up drunk to a rehearsal.

Page & Squire always got on quite well, occasionally spending holidays together in the '70s & '80s. However, Squire wouldn't fit for the same reason no one else would fit, and that is the essence of the band (Led Zeppelin) was the alchemical properties of the four. The hypothetical fracas that you suggest is simply absurd, for a number of reasons. 

4 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Page & Squire always got on quite well, occasionally spending holidays together in the '70s & '80s. However, Squire wouldn't fit for the same reason no one else would fit, and that is the essence of the band (Led Zeppelin) was the alchemical properties of the four. The hypothetical fracas that you suggest is simply absurd, for a number of reasons. 

How is it "absurd" to speculate that two big, alpha-male personalities - Squire and Bonham - in a band might clash?

I think it is quite plausible and likely.

And regarding Page and Squire, being mates and going on holiday occasionally, is quite different from working professionally together and being in each others pockets on tour.

To be fair to Steve, the thread was meant to be about the musical implications of such a move rather than 'Who would win out of a fight between John Bonham & Chris Squire?'.

I think it would be highly unlikely for anyone to join a hugely successful band & then immediately start beating people up for having a drink before a rehearsal.

I agree that Chris Squire would've changed the band's sound a great deal, he certainly didn't have that James Jamerson thing going on that Jones did although there's no doubting he's one of the great bass players of all time.

40 minutes ago, Mook said:

To be fair to Steve, the thread was meant to be about the musical implications of such a move rather than 'Who would win out of a fight between John Bonham & Chris Squire?'.

I think it would be highly unlikely for anyone to join a hugely successful band & then immediately start beating people up for having a drink before a rehearsal.

lpman was just making a point about personalities clashing.

He also stated at the end of his post, "If Zep were ever going to expand the lineup it would have been with a second guitarist / multi-instrumentalist."

So I think he covered all bases, musical and personal, as being in a band is not just about how good a player you are.

See Ronnie Wood joining the Stones.

Yeah, I agree with all of that but still doubt Squire would've joined Led Zeppelin & twatted John Bonham for turning up at rehearsal with a drink in him.

The Stones should've quit when Mick Taylor left, they've been phoning it in since the mid 70s.

The Who were notorious for fighting yet made some great music & that's what it's all about at the end of the day.

I spoke  w/ Rick Wakeman last October In Atlanta, GA when he toured last w/ Jon Anderson & Trevor Rabin, as he’s been friends w/ Jimmy Page since his youth (school/art college) along with David Bowie (RIP) & Keith Emerson (RIP). He played on Bowie’s Ziggy Stardust album and worked out musical arrangements. He said there was talk of a few possible ideas for several of them to join JP, Chris Squire, Alan White (which became XYZ). Nothing came to fruition, though.  Perhaps Jimmy will release an XYZ cd/vinyl set of his demos, rehearsals, etc in 2018 via JP.com, as he’s done recently with The Yardbirds, his film score work (box set), etc.

R😎

DA3626E9-034B-4B6A-B412-576CE13F9872.jpeg

15 hours ago, Mook said:

In the books I read, I believe it was discussed somewhere around the '73 to '75 period.

Of course it could've been nonsense from the likes of Davis & Cole.

Mook, if it was 73, maybe it was around the time Jones wanted to quit and Grant talked him round to staying (after the end of the '73 tour). Maybe it was an idea briefly considered i.e. "have him on keys only to lighten the workload".

Incidentally, in the Barney Hoskyns book (reliable source rather than Davis) it says Keith Emerson was an option on keys, before Jones said he'd do that as well. Interesting as before I read the book I'd never seen that anywhere else.

19 minutes ago, reids said:

Perhaps Jimmy will release an XYZ cd/vinyl set of his demos, rehearsals, etc in 2018 via JP.com, as he’s done recently with The Yardbirds, his film score work (box set), etc.

I don't think he ever would, Reid, as it would highlight how much of that material was appropriated by The Firm.

Just now, Mook said:

Yeah, I agree with all of that but still doubt Squire would've joined Led Zeppelin & twatted John Bonham for turning up at rehearsal with a drink in him.

The Stones should've quit when Mick Taylor left, they've been phoning it in since the mid 70s.

The Who were notorious for fighting yet made some great music & that's what it's all about at the end of the day.

Dead right Mook. I often upset my Dad by stating that the Stones haven’t been any good since Taylor left

9 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Personality clashes are one thing, but that isn't what IpMan suggested. 

Chris Squire was the undisputed leader of Yes and he was known to be extremely professional with a no nonsense attitude toward his craft. Squire was not afraid to get into his Yes-mates faces when creative differences arose and take charge. I am not talking a minor personality clash to being upset at someone for showing up after a few pints, I am talking Bonham's overall personality especially when drunk.

You really think a consummate professional, know for his temper would be cool with the drummer showing up to a rehearsal belligerent and too drunk to play? The fact is there was no way in hell any type of band with Squire & Bonham would last more than the first time Bonham showed up drunk and acting like a jackass.

10 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

I don't think he ever would, Reid, as it would highlight how much of that material was appropriated by The Firm.

Ok. Point taken, Steve. Maybe some selections of that XYZ material not appropriated by The Firm will make it in a box set of session work , demos & other tracks (not officially released/ used by like “Swan Song”, “Fire”, “Take Me Home”, “Embryo 1 & 2, etc) will see the light of day someday. One can wish. 

R😎

3 hours ago, IpMan said:

You really think a consummate professional, know for his temper would be cool with the drummer showing up to a rehearsal belligerent and too drunk to play? The xxxx opinion is there was no way in hell any type of band with Squire & Bonham would last more than the first time Bonham showed up drunk and acting like a jackass.

I think you're trying to hard to portray John Bonham as a bumbling drunk and Chris Squire as the consummate professional.

59 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

I think you're trying to hard to portray John Bonham as a bumbling drunk and Chris Squire as the consummate professional.

Well, I believe history has spoken for itself in that regard. 

How’s your memory from the 70s… Do you recall gigs like the one with The Nice in Cork?

That was very, very funny. The Bonzo Dog Doodah band were basically comedians anyway so they made it fun. I remember we showed up at this football pitch in Cork. They literally had this iron flex running out of the janitor’s shed. It was like a three prong plug socket to power the whole of the band and the lights. It was obviously not going to happen, so we all ended up going down the pub and getting drunk. Then of course a lot of the audience discovered we were in there and we were all going “Yeah we’re going to play in a minute”, knowing full well that we weren’t. But before it turned ugly, we all snuck out the back door and drove to the airport. I think one of the Bonzo Dog guys blew up the stage too. -- Chris Squire

http://www.australianmusician.com.au/chris-squire-yes/

Archived