Best version of 6/11/77?

ZepHead315

3 hours ago, Bozoso73 said:

Sorry John but that don't sound right. . Ive got a great version of this and it seems a little slow.  . One of the best nights in NY 77 for sure:)

Yeah I think I've actually heard that version too, and I agree, it sounds like it's running slow. I wonder if it's the tape or if the boys were just deciding to play the songs heavier than usual. Either way, it doesn't quite sound right to me.

Also, on a related note, what's the best sounding version of the partial soundboard?

On 11/19/2018 at 7:30 PM, ZepHead315 said:

Yeah I think I've actually heard that version too, and I agree, it sounds like it's running slow. I wonder if it's the tape or if the boys were just deciding to play the songs heavier than usual. Either way, it doesn't quite sound right to me.

Also, on a related note, what's the best sounding version of the partial soundboard?

Use an online tuner like thepitchpipe.com and see if the root of the key of the song matches the pitch of the correct note when you play the tuning tone.  For example Sick Again is in E....SIBLY is in C minor. 

On 11/21/2018 at 12:12 AM, porgie66 said:

Use an online tuner like thepitchpipe.com and see if the root of the key of the song matches the pitch of the correct note when you play the tuning tone.  For example Sick Again is in E....SIBLY is in C minor. 

Well I tried it out with Long Live Led Zeppelin's four source merge and (while I'm not at all an expert when it comes to pitch), Sick Again sounds way off to me. It's like the band is playing in slow motion. Reminds me a bit of the sluggish Landover gigs.

On 11/22/2018 at 10:32 AM, zepster1979 said:

Scorpio's Fourth Night In The Garden is much close to the proper speed/pitch, albeit poorly mastered.

So why is it that so few versions of this show run at the correct speed? You'd think that it would have been discovered and corrected fairly early on (ex. the 3/11/75 Long Beach soundboard).

6 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

Well I tried it out with Long Live Led Zeppelin's four source merge and (while I'm not at all an expert when it comes to pitch), Sick Again sounds way off to me. It's like the band is playing in slow motion. Reminds me a bit of the sluggish Landover gigs.

So why is it that so few versions of this show run at the correct speed? You'd think that it would have been discovered and corrected fairly early on (ex. the 3/11/75 Long Beach soundboard).

That Butternubs one on YouTube is way off. I have a two source merge that I got off dime and it is at correct pitch. Dead on.

This one...

6/11/77  Madison Sq. Garden, NY -2 source merge:

Source 1: Master > CDR > ? > FLAC > CDR(2) > EAC > WAV > Sound Forge (edit clicks between tracks) > shntool (correct sbe's) > FLAC > dBPowerAMP > WAV (originally treed through FBO), speedcorrected

Source 2: unknown gen Cass > X-Fi > Clean! >WaveLab > FLAC > dBPowerAMP > WAV (sean_the_bootlegger source), speedcorrected

Original notes from Sean:

This is a very good tape. It appears our taper was concerned about running out of tape, so he shut it down often between songs and subsequently chopped a few things up. Still, it's worth grabbing.

Source 2: 2nd gen Cass > Video Hifi > X-Fi >WaveLab > FLAC > dBPowerAMP > WAV (sean_the_bootlegger source), speedcorrected

The end of the June 11th sources. Though the show is still not complete, it does include at least some of Heartbreaker. During Ten Years Gone and No Quarter one channel dropped out completely. I repaired them by turning the missing sections into mono. Unfortunately the video hi-hi had some trouble tracking in some places. Murphys Law. So, for the purists, here it is anyway...one more source.

Note : the 2nd gen Cass > Video Hifi source is from the same taper as source 2 (same cuts, same crowd noises), it sounds much worse even though it's listed as a known gen (but see Sean's notes. It's a bit more complete and it's been used to complete source 2 wherever possible. then : > Audacity (speed correcting, merging) > WAV > FLAC frontend > FLAC (level 😎

Edited by porgie66

1 hour ago, porgie66 said:

That Butternubs one on YouTube is way off. I have a two source merge that I got off dime and it is at correct pitch. Dead on.

This one...

6/11/77  Madison Sq. Garden, NY -2 source merge:

Source 1: Master > CDR > ? > FLAC > CDR(2) > EAC > WAV > Sound Forge (edit clicks between tracks) > shntool (correct sbe's) > FLAC > dBPowerAMP > WAV (originally treed through FBO), speedcorrected

Source 2: unknown gen Cass > X-Fi > Clean! >WaveLab > FLAC > dBPowerAMP > WAV (sean_the_bootlegger source), speedcorrected

This is a very good tape. It appears our taper was concerned about running out of tape, so he shut it down often between songs and subsequently chopped a few things up. Still, it's worth grabbing.

Source 2: 2nd gen Cass > Video Hifi > X-Fi >WaveLab > FLAC > dBPowerAMP > WAV (sean_the_bootlegger source), speedcorrected

The end of the June 11th sources. Though the show is still not complete, it does include at least some of Heartbreaker. During Ten Years Gone and No Quarter one channel dropped out completely. I repaired them by turning the missing sections into mono. Unfortunately the video hi-hi had some trouble tracking in some places. Murphys Law. So, for the purists, here it is anyway...one more source.

Note : the 2nd gen Cass > Video Hifi source is from the same taper as source 2 (same cuts, same crowd noises), it sounds much worse even though it's listed as a known gen (but see Sean's notes. It's a bit more complete and it's been used to complete source 2 wherever possible. then : > Audacity (speed correcting, merging) > WAV > FLAC frontend > FLAC (level 😎

Thanks for this! I'm downloading it now.

FWIW, I also came across this version:

Artist: Led Zeppelin
Title: An Evening With Led Zeppelin
Number of discs: 3
Date: 11th June 1977
Venue: Madison Square Garden, New York
Source: audience tape
Provenance:
Original seed by Yesyes
[http://www.*/forums/showthread.php?t=56953]: Type I tape > X-Fi >
Clean! > Wave Lab > FLAC
My remaster: Nero Wave Editor > FLAC level 8

Notes:
Firstly, thanks to Yesyes for his perseverance in getting this show online, first spread by
Sean the Bootlegger. Secondly, the good old disclaimer: I did this remaster for fun and am
sharing it in the hope that other people like it. If you do, that's great, if you don't, there
you go! I make no claims to perfection or definitiveness. Anyway, I downloaded the show
and was listening when, during 'Ten Years Gone', I suddenly thought: "That's not an A!"
Sure enough, it was a B flat. The tape was running fast. So, I looked at other parts of the
tape (with my ears - some call this process "listening") and found that it was off pitch
throughout to varying degrees. I fixed this as much as I could track-by-track, working to
concert pitch (which Zeppelin did play to in order to use keyboards). In the end, the show
ran to about five and a half extra minutes. While I was at it, I did a little EQ-ing, removing
some bottom-end to make it sound less boomy. I also corrected the track marking between
'Over the Top' and the guitar solo, which was out (the last four minutes of 'Over the Top'
were at the start of the guitar solo track) and put unobtrusive fades at the start and end of
each disc - don't worry, no music or chat is faded and no crowd noise is edited out. I made
some artwork (for a triple CD jewel-case - I know they're not so common, but hey!) and
then I was done. Hope you enjoy it!

I took a brief sample listen and it once again sounds like it runs a little too slow. I'm guessing (despite what the notes say), that this is also at the wrong speed/pitch and Sean's version runs at the proper speed?

Edited by ZepHead315

8 minutes ago, ZepHead315 said:

Thanks for this! I'm downloading it now.

FWIW, I also came across this version:

I took a brief sample listen and it once again sounds like it runs a little too slow. I'm guessing (despite what the notes say), that this is also at the wrong speed/pitch?

Not familiar with that one. 

• 2 years later...
On 11/19/2018 at 5:14 PM, Bozoso73 said:

Sorry John but that don't sound right. . Ive got a great version of this and it seems a little slow.  . One of the best nights in NY 77 for sure:)

I was at the MSG shows in 77 an the sound was great. Unfortunately this seemed recorded with an old tape recorder.

Here's a fine version that came out in the last couple of years, matrixing the 'best' audience sources, plus the added bonus of the three soundboard tracks and a few selections from an alternate audience source:

https://www.collectorsmusicreviews.com/led-zeppelin/led-zeppelin-pleeease-lord-fourth-night-at-the-garden-graf-zeppelin-lzsc-611a-b-c-d/

6/11/77...best "No Quarter" of the entire fucking tour, in my not so 'umble opinion...