Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy's A Legend

Robert Plant - Pre-Zep History

Missed this for some reason..RP was on a mission.. "15 Nov 1967 : Robert Plant, a nineteen year old Wolverhampton pop-singer visits the office of the Charge d'Affaires of the Republic of China in Portland Place, London, to hand in a letter expressing his interest in the cultural revolution, currently taking place in that country, and offering his services and that of the Band of Joy to the Republic. In his letter he said: "We are prepared to play for a period of time, free of charge, as we feel very strongly about a united world."

I think Rick Garson was already in the queue. :hysterical:

thozil   

Missed this for some reason..RP was on a mission.. "15 Nov 1967 : Robert Plant, a nineteen year old Wolverhampton pop-singer visits the office of the Charge d'Affaires of the Republic of China in Portland Place, London, to hand in a letter expressing his interest in the cultural revolution, currently taking place in that country, and offering his services and that of the Band of Joy to the Republic. In his letter he said: "We are prepared to play for a period of time, free of charge, as we feel very strongly about a united world."

I don't doubt that he went to London, but that photo doesn't look right. Was it included with the article - is there a photo credit?

Edited by thozil

Blocoboy   

I don't doubt that he went to London, but that photo doesn't look right. Was it included with the article - is there a photo credit?

PAphotos archive has the pic and description..can't see why they would mock something as trivial as this up.

I am one of those involved in seeking to create a new Ritz Community Arts Centre and Pop History Museum on the site of the old Ritz Dance and Social Club (frequently referred to as the Ritz Ballroom) in York Road, Kings Heath, Birmingham, 14.

We are trying to collect together as many dates as possible for all the great arists that played there including Robert Plant.

We understand he played there with Listen in 1966 on 4 March, 28 May and 20 July and may have played there with other groups on other dates.

You can find more about us at http://www.kingsheathwalkoffame.org.uk

Please can you let us have any information and evidence you may have of Robert performing at the Ritz Dance and Social Club.

Sorry to hear the report of the death of Bill Bonham..he has been mentioned on this topic in the past but for those who might not know him have a look here.

http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Bill_Bonham

Blocoboy, you may know for certain but I thought I'd read that Bill Bonham himself, among others, had dismissed the persistent claims that he was of any relation to John Bonham.

thozil   

Marquee ad for Feb 68 with Robert Plant playing on the 8th and the 23rd. John Bonham may have been with the band at this point so the 23rd date is when he might have met Tim Rose for the first time leading to his future gig in July (pure speculation).

RPlantMarquee67.jpg