College football thread

electricmage

What a mess. Missouri is ranked #6, and doesn't go to a BCS bowl. Kansas, who was beat my Missouri, IS going to a BCS game. There are probably 6-7 teams that can all legitimately argue they belong in the title game. Ohio State is 11-1, yes, but had a weak non-conference schedule and the Big Ten was weak this year, so they didn't really beat anyone. But do they belong in the title game? Maybe...probably. Does a 2-loss LSU belong? Maybe. But so might a 2-loss USC team, or a 2-loss Missouri team, or a 2-loss Oklahoma State. Hawaii is undefeated. Granted, they're from a small conference and didn't really beat anyone, but look what Boise State did last year in a BCS bowl game. What about a 2-loss Va Tech? A 2-loss Georgia? You could pretty much shuffle the top 10 like a deck of cards, draw 2, and it would be as good a method as any.

Hence why a playoff is necessary. It would all sort itself out.

What a mess. Missouri is ranked #6, and doesn't go to a BCS bowl. Kansas, who was beat my Missouri, IS going to a BCS game. There are probably 6-7 teams that can all legitimately argue they belong in the title game. Ohio State is 11-1, yes, but had a weak non-conference schedule and the Big Ten was weak this year, so they didn't really beat anyone. But do they belong in the title game? Maybe...probably. Does a 2-loss LSU belong? Maybe. But so might a 2-loss USC team, or a 2-loss Missouri team, or a 2-loss Oklahoma State. Hawaii is undefeated. Granted, they're from a small conference and didn't really beat anyone, but look what Boise State did last year in a BCS bowl game. What about a 2-loss Va Tech? A 2-loss Georgia? You could pretty much shuffle the top 10 like a deck of cards, draw 2, and it would be as good a method as any.

Hence why a playoff is necessary. It would all sort itself out.

As much as I favor a playoff, Kansas had a tougher schedule then missouri. The Buckeyes didn't play a lot of ranked teams, only one Div-I AA team, but you have to remember, none of those teams beat us, save Illinois. USC, Michigan, and a hand full of others lost to unranked teams as well. That is everyones biggest gripe, that OSU played a bunch of shitty teams. Well guess what, so did Michigan, and they lost to them. If we hadn't lost to Illinois, people would keep their mouths shut.

Hawaii doesn't deserve shit. Lets see them hang with the big boys, then they can talk.

You're right, Ohio State beat the teams on their schedule, except one. It's not their fault, per se, I just don't think anyone outside of Ohio thinks they're the #1 team in the nation. They didn't beat, or even play, a single top 20 team. Then you look at LSU's schedule, they beat SIX top 20 teams...Va Tech, S. Carolina, Florida, Auburn, Alabama, and Tennessee. That's strong. But I agree that Ohio State belongs in the title game under the current system, it worked the way it should work. They're not going to allow a 1-loss team from a major conference to be passed over in favor of a 2-loss team. But are they the best? I guess we'll see...

The whole "BCS conference" thing is bullshit..It obviously favors teams in certain conferences and blatantly excludes all others(well all but 1...and Boise State should have showed them something). A playoff system is the only fair way...you win your conference your in...if not you can watch on tv. And include ALL the collegiate conferences, then play a seeded tournament

Why do they make it harder than it has to be?, This "computer ranking" and "strength of schedule" is bullshit. It should come down to W's and only conference champions should have a shot at the title

You're right, Ohio State beat the teams on their schedule, except one. It's not their fault, per se, I just don't think anyone outside of Ohio thinks they're the #1 team in the nation. They didn't beat, or even play, a single top 20 team. Then you look at LSU's schedule, they beat SIX top 20 teams...Va Tech, S. Carolina, Florida, Auburn, Alabama, and Tennessee. That's strong. But I agree that Ohio State belongs in the title game under the current system, it worked the way it should work. They're not going to allow a 1-loss team from a major conference to be passed over in favor of a 2-loss team. But are they the best? I guess we'll see...

Wasn't Michigan ranked when we beat them?

I've always said that there should be some kind of playoff system....The computer would have to factor in there somewhere because there are way too many teams, ala The Big Dance.A lot of bumping and bruising and major injuries would occur in that scenario and it would last right into March Madness.WooHoo!!! Go Heels!!! Anyway,back to College Football,I'm a big Ohio State fan and I don't think that they should be in this game just on the "strength of schedule" factor.

I do agree with just letting them duke it out though :duel:

OK, here's my BCS proposal (not that anyone cares!)

One anti-playoff argument is always "too many games, these are students after all". So first thing, reduce schedules to 11 games. Teams used to play 11 games, now schedules have swelled to 12-13 games. Add in a bowl game, and college kids are currently playing 13-14 games a year. Drop a non-conference game, or the conference title game (which not every conference even plays), and get the schedules to 11 games. The playoff would include the top 8 teams. All other teams would play in the normal bowls: Gator, Capital One, Independence, etc. Those teams would end up playing 12 games. The top 8 teams would be in the playoff. There would be the first round, semis, and championship game. For the four teams eliminated in Round 1, they would play 12 games in the season. Teams that lose in the semis would be play 13, and the two teams in the championship game would play 14. So everyone but 8 teams plays 12 games, four teams play 13, and two play 14. Too many games for student/athletes? No, next argument.

The next one always used is "we have to respect tradition and the old bowl games, you can't get rid of the Rose Bowl, Orange Bowl, etc" Well, as I said above, you'd have four first-round games in the 8 team playoff. Those are your 4 BCS bowls...1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6, and 4 vs 5. And each year the matchups would rotate- one year the Rose hosts the #1 seed vs #8, the next year the Fiesta, and so on. So each of the 4 major bowls (Rose, Orange, Sugar, Fiesta) gets a marquee matchup featuring the top 8 schools. And rather than diminishing the importance of the bowls, the playoff would INCREASE it. As it stands today, if you're a BCS team that isn't in the championship game, you're basically playing in a consolation game. If you win the Rose, it's "congratulations, you finish #4 in the nation", or whatever. Under this new system, the 4 bowls would mean something, because the winners move on and have a shot at the title. So you keep the 4 main bowls, and you keep the BCS title game, which is the final game of the playoff. So you're really only talking about adding TWO games, the semifinal matchups, which you could name anything you want...BCS Semifinal Bowl #1 and #2. In the overall scheme of things, the bowls all remain the same, the 4 BCS bowls mean more than they do today, you keep the championship game, and are only adding two games to the schedule (not per team, two games TOTAL).

Rebuttals?

the good ole Bull Crap Series...

here's the solution...

1. Have an 8 team playoff

2. Regardless of conference, if you are undefeated, you automaticaly get a spot in ther playoff

3. The coaches determine the rest of the teams in the field via poll

4. Teams are seeded 1-8 (1 vs 8, 2 vs 7 and so on...)

5. You keep the bowl games (Rose, Orange, Sugar and Fiesta) and create 2 new bowls (the 2 new bowls, Fiesta and Sugar bowls will be the quarter final games) (the Rose and Orange bowl would be your 2 semi final games) and then you have your championship game.

Archived