So, Did you know Jimmy Page wasnt famous enough

No1ZeppelinFan

:lol: - Jimmy page is "from the 70s". So he doesn't exist today? Guess they hadn't heard of the O2.

Oh and Becks was supposed to kick the ball into the crowd. I'm not a fan of his but he did what he was supposed to.

Well it's a Chinese newspaper which is highly censored.

I think what they meant to say was "China was too afraid to allow Jimmy Page and Leona Lewis to be famous in the past".

I have to admit that I had no idea who Leona Lewis was before this. So maybe they were more leaning toward Leona.

"'Unfortunately, the singer and Jimmy Page are absolutely not famous enough to be known or recognised by millions of the Chinese audiences."

In some respects that comment is right, there is little or no exposure to rock music in China.

When the Stones played China it was thought that most of the people who turned up would be non Chinese as the Stones arent that well known in China. Their performance was censored showing the government dont want people to listen to rock music. At the time of the gig there was an article on it and basically Paul McCartney is one of the few rock musicians who is big in China and that is about it.

However to the rest of the world Jimmy is famous enough, he has been a Guitar God since the '60s after all!

"'Unfortunately, the singer and Jimmy Page are absolutely not famous enough to be known or recognised by millions of the Chinese audiences."

In some respects that comment is right, there is little or no exposure to rock music in China.

When the Stones played China it was thought that most of the people who turned up would be non Chinese as the Stones arent that well known in China. Their performance was censored showing the government dont want people to listen to rock music. At the time of the gig there was an article on it and basically Paul McCartney is one of the few rock musicians who is big in China and that is about it.

However to the rest of the world Jimmy is famous enough, he has been a Guitar God since the '60s after all!

Hardly surprising the Chinese didn't know Jimmy or Leona but my they were chosen by Britain for Britain and not the Chinese. People in the crowd werent all Chinese and really this was a world wide TV thing not stadium crowd pleasing.

Did anyone know that pianist in the opening ceremony outside China who didnt know classical music.? Same principle???

Hardly surprising the Chinese didn't know Jimmy or Leona but my they were chosen by Britain for Britain and not the Chinese. People in the crowd werent all Chinese and really this was a world wide TV thing not stadium crowd pleasing.

Did anyone know that pianist in the opening ceremony outside China who didnt know classical music.? Same principle???

I agree, it was afterall supposed to be showcasing Britain and so it made sense to pick someone who was well known to the British, same as the opening ceremony showing someone well known to the Chinese as it was showcasing China.

Just thought I'd share some info about rock music and China.

In related news Gordan Brown believes that Paul McCartney and The Rolling Stones will open the 2012 games, a former Beatle and the Stones on the same bill, this I will HAVE to see!

Link

I agree, it was afterall supposed to be showcasing Britain and so it made sense to pick someone who was well known to the British, same as the opening ceremony showing someone well known to the Chinese as it was showcasing China.

Just thought I'd share some info about rock music and China.

In related news Gordan Brown believes that Paul McCartney and The Rolling Stones will open the 2012 games, a former Beatle and the Stones on the same bill, this I will HAVE to see!

Link

I grew up with music in the 70's so this will be music by those in their 70's :D

Well... as they say here (the saying, in fact, origins from a popular Soviet film) "The East is a delicate matter" (and I have no idea if it means anything to you, English speakers :D)

At least they knew his name! Unlike "the singer" as Leona was referred to.

But yeah, I agree with you the Chinese criticism is out of order.

You think that is bad, you should see the bit about their performance in the Los Angeles Times. They call it one of the worst things about the Olympics. See for yourself. That paper has no credibility anyway on most of their issues.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/...0,5946398.photo

China was cut off from the rest of the world for so long. The promotions for the final ceremonies here in America just mentioned Jimmy Page was at the final. Didn't even talk about Beckham and Lewis most of the time. Heck I don't even thing I've heard anything about Beckham since he came to America, that's how unpopular that sport is here. I wouldn't be shocked if most Chinese people never heard of Zeppelin in the 70s.

Archived