Buxton opera house 1994

Has anybody seen the proshot footage from this show yet? Bob harris introduced the band, i know it was filmed but not heard any disscussion about it,have heard the cd bootlegs, but no film footage does it exist?

Alexis Korner Memorial Concert to support the Macmillan Cancer Relief Fund

Buxton Opera House (Sun) April 17, 1994

I have this footage. It originally aired on Central TV as 'Tribute to Alexis Korner' and runs 6 mins 20 secs. It opens with the Bob Harris introduction of them and they go

straight into 'Baby, Please Don't Go', followed by 'I Can't Quit You,' during which

the credits roll and the footage fades out. The complete set list performed as follows:

1. Baby Please Don't Go 2. I Can't Quit You 3. I've Been Down So Long 4. That's Why I Love You 5. Train Kept A Rollin.

They had actually held an afternoon rehearsal/soundcheck for twenty minutes (which was apparently also filmed). Then they returned to the Palace Hotel just down the road, where Robert conversed in the bar. The morning after the show Robert and Bob Harris were together in the same bar talking at length about gigs in Rotterdam...lunacy in Los Angeles…the past 20 years...and so on.

Thanks Steve glad to know its around.Just wish i could find the full show It was some line up also Rory Gallagher should have been on the bill but was taken ill,but still we had Paul Jones,Chris barber,Zoot money plus plenty of others who shaped the british music scene,I do know that one of the interviews with Robert was held backstage in the dressing rooms upstairs as i was watching it being filmed.also that Jimmy was asking everyong to let him know when either Duffy Power or Davy Graham were on stage as they where ones of his heros and he wanted to see them play.Some time before going on stage Jimmy/Robert sat in the right hand side fire escape curtain having a ciggarette when a member of the crowd popped his head round looking for the toilets,he asked for directions then it sank in........F***** hell its robert plant then looked again.....F***** me Pagey! the look on his face was priceless, !I recall he even took one of the marlboro cig dimps off the floor( look out for it on ebay!) what a great day in such marvelous surroundings

I once found it while searching for Page & Plant videos. I think its great to see this. Its the earliest video that I know from the P & P project (except Knebworth 1990).

The Knebworth show in 1990 was not part of the P/P project. It was just Jimmy joining Robert and his band for a few numbers. Robert was being honored as a Silver Clef Award winner.

The Knebworth show in 1990 was not part of the P/P project. It was just Jimmy joining Robert and his band for a few numbers. Robert was being honored as a Silver Clef Award winner.

Yes I know. Perhaps this (Buxton) concert lead into the P & P project.

• 3 weeks later...
Perhaps this (Buxton) concert lead into the P & P project.

Actually the P&P project was underway prior to this concert (4/14/94). You see, two months prior they'd been working at Depot Studios near Kings Cross in London using a series of drum loops as backing tracks, and then they cut a demo of 'Wonderful One' at RAK Studios in St. Johns Wood. Finally, they rehearsed in advance for this event.

Actually the P&P project was underway prior to this concert (4/14/94). You see, two months prior they'd been working at Depot Studios near Kings Cross in London using a series of drum loops as backing tracks, and then they cut a demo of 'Wonderful One' at RAK Studios in St. Johns Wood. Finally, they rehearsed in advance for this event.

I thought I had read somewhere that Wonderful One was recorded well before the Unledded project and now you cleared this up. Thanks Steve. That's a great tune.

I thought I had read somewhere that Wonderful One was recorded well before the Unledded project and now you cleared this up. Thanks Steve. That's a great tune.

While it was recorded well before the August '94 Unledded performances, it was of course written specficially for that project as opposed to anything else.

• 10 years later...
  • 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Llysfaen Forever said:

OMG!!  I was at this. I moved to America and I think my American friends think I’m telling fibs because it was too good to be true. Thank you so much for posting this. I feel like a 23 year old again!!!

I once took several photographs of the Buxton Opera House, Palace Hotel and surroundings but they are inaccessible at the moment. Perhaps next year.

3 hours ago, Llysfaen Forever said:

OMG!!  I was at this. I moved to America and I think my American friends think I’m telling fibs because it was too good to be true. Thank you so much for posting this. I feel like a 23 year old again!!!

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

I once took several photographs of the Buxton Opera House, Palace Hotel and surroundings but they are inaccessible at the moment. Perhaps next year.

It's my home town. Lovely Spa town which has undergone a major refurbishment of it's Georgian Spa Crescent. It is now a luxury Hotel and Spa. Here are a couple of shots of the Spa and The Opera House where Page and Plant played.

Aerial-4.jpg.fea80c085dcc6da0e12a249a49ba4798.jpg 

Crescent-@-Night.thumb.jpeg.aae30a336bc8525a8885111c12b766f5.jpegR030bfc89fb4d04fe5e6f30d17eacbc5a.jpg.895ea7e89985f2f89d5fa7c173b0aa39.jpg

Edited by chillumpuffer

I did a report on the Old Courthouse in Buxton a couple of years back - it was being converted and Derbyshire planning archaeologists took the opportunity to have some work done to find out if the carved stone heads on the outside of the building were 'Celtic' heads and, if so, where and when they were originally found. Turns out they were fixed into the wall sometime between a photo taken in 1965 and one taken in 1974 and they don't remotely resemble ancient Celtic carved heads either. Ah, well! Buxton's probably the site of Aqua Arnemetiae, where there were Roman baths like the ones at Bath. Arnemetiae was a British tribal water deity in the Iron Age. I can see why Robert would like the place. There's nothing left of the Roman baths - any remains were probably destroyed when the Crescent was built to turn the place into a Georgian spa town. Anyhow, much better than all that - the last time I was in Buxton, there was a continental food market on and two girls were walking toward me, each having a gobful of whatever the other had bought - and being a suave, sophisticated type, I nudged the lass I was with, pointed to the two girls and said out loud: 'Look - women feeding women!'  

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

funny thing but all the times i've seen these guys I really can't recall them ever playing this song? did see page and black crowes at worscter centrum couple years later and believe Joe Perry and Whitford joined page and this was one of the tunes they played together, last show that year with crowes, great show