2009 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Ceremony

THE FIRST LEDZEP

Saturday, April 4, 2009

http://www.cleveland.com/music/plaindealer....xml&coll=2

Jimmy Page, Ron Wood, Eminem to present Rock Hall inductions

Friday, March 20, 2009

John Soeder

Plain Dealer Pop Music Critic

Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page, Ron Wood of the Rolling Stones and Eminem will be among the celebrity presenters coming to Cleveland for the sold-out Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony Saturday, April 4, at Public Auditorium.

Page will induct Jeff Beck, Wood will induct Cleveland native Bobby Womack, and Eminem will induct Run-D.M.C.

Smokey Robinson will do the honors for Little Anthony and the Imperials, and Flea of the Red Hot Chili Peppers will induct Metallica.

Two members of Elvis Presley's band, drummer DJ Fontana and the late bass player Bill Black, are set be enshrined in the sidemen category by their counterparts from Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band, Max Weinberg and Garry Tallent, respectively. Fellow sidemen honoree Spooner Oldham will be inducted by David Letterman's bandleader, Paul Shaffer.

A presenter for early-influence inductee Wanda Jackson has not been announced.

B)

IMO Metallica doesn't belong. They arent in the same league as a band like Led Zeppelin and I cant listen to them. There is a thought. You asked so there you are.

I see it like this.... 100 years from now..... NO ONE will be talking about or listening to Metallica, or Madonna.....

But, a 100 years from now, Led Zeppelin will be one of those bands that will be listened to.

I just don't think that Madonna or Metallica can live on without the hype they, and the Media generate while they are alive. They are not Hendrix or Janis Joplin.....

That sums it up for me... :)

Zeppelin is about the Music.... and not about Hype.

Two members of Elvis Presley's band, drummer DJ Fontana and the late bass player Bill Black, are set be enshrined in the sidemen category by their counterparts from Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band, Max Weinberg and Garry Tallent, respectively.

Good ol' "Blackie". Couln't pluck it, but sure could f*** it!

I see it like this.... 100 years from now..... NO ONE will be talking about or listening to Metallica, or Madonna.....

But, a 100 years from now, Led Zeppelin will be one of those bands that will be listened to.

I just don't think that Madonna or Metallica can live on without the hype they, and the Media generate while they are alive. They are not Hendrix or Janis Joplin.....

Couldn't have said it any better myself, Rover. ;)

In my opinion, Metallica is almost in the same league as Led Zeppelin. Note, I said, "almost". :lol:

Their music is just different from the classic rock character of Led Zeppelin's music.

They have stood the test of time: they have been around for 25 years and are still going strong.

They are very heavy rockers. Their music is unique and innovative. Kurt and James are great guitarists. Lars is a fantastic drummer, in the same league as Bonzo, in my opinion. James' vocals and lyrics do not come close to Robert's, though.

I think that they most definitely deserve to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

I can't say the same for Madonna and Michael Jackson, in my opinion. Maybe the "Pop" Hall of Fame? :rolleyes:

I am also wondering how Run DMC is included? Maybe because they did a cover of an Aerosmith song? That qualifies them as rockers?

IMO Metallica doesn't belong. They arent in the same league as a band like Led Zeppelin and I cant listen to them. There is a thought. You asked so there you are.

Metallica is right behind Zep in my eyes. What they did for metal is equivalent to what Zeppelin did for rock.

I thought rap was dead?

B)

Hell no B)

Metallica? lol

Madonna?!? LOL

Whatever happened to the music? It's a crying shame. Aw, well at least Beck's getting inducted.

Metallica's not music? How so?

They should be inducting Slayer, Exodus, Kreator, and VENOM before they induct fucking Metallica

Ew ew ew and ew. Most metal bands owe everything to Metallica, not Slayer.

Metallica is right behind Zep in my eyes. What they did for metal is equivalent to what Zeppelin did for rock.

I've gotten a decent sampling of post-Sabbath metal, and can't tolerate hardly any of those groups - other than Metallica. They are so far above their peers, it's absurd.

Hell no B)

Metallica's not music? How so?

Ew ew ew and ew. Most metal bands owe everything to Metallica, not Slayer.

And Metallica owe everything to Venom and Celtic Frost, who owe everything to Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath. Most death metal bands owe everything to Slayer and Kreator.

And Metallica owe everything to Venom and Celtic Frost, who owe everything to Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath. Most death metal bands owe everything to Slayer and Kreator.

Agreed 100%. But at the same time, Death metal has no place in the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame. It's too far from what it represents. Metallica isn't even Rock N Roll to me and I don't think the Hall has anything to do with them. That being said, I'm glad that they are, because if Madonna is in, then they deserve it far more.

...The hell you talking about it Willis? :huh:

Metallica isn't about hype. Their absolute best music, the reason people still love them, is their older stuff from the 80s. Now, sure there was a lot of hype over their last album but thats because it had been a while since St. Anger which sucked so we all wanted a great, new album.

I don't think Metallica's name is going anywhere.

I didn't realize being inducted into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame was some sort of competition with Led Zeppelin.

As for Metallica, I'm not even a fan but I don't have a problem at all with their induction. While they may not be the only pioneers of thrash/speed metal, they are among the most widely recognized. For that, they deserve kudos.

In my opinion, Metallica is almost in the same league as Led Zeppelin. Note, I said, "almost". :lol:

Their music is just different from the classic rock character of Led Zeppelin's music.

They have stood the test of time: they have been around for 25 years and are still going strong.

They are very heavy rockers. Their music is unique and innovative. Kurt and James are great guitarists. Lars is a fantastic drummer, in the same league as Bonzo, in my opinion. James' vocals and lyrics do not come close to Robert's, though.

I am both a die-hard Led Zeppelin fan and a die-hard Metallica fan- they are my two favorite groups. As you can imagine, I am totally stoked for tomorrow night, especially for the all-inclusive jam!

I agree with a lot of what you say, although I would strongly disagree with you that Lars is in the same league as Bonzo. Lars is an excellent drummer who really learned and grew in his craft but I don't think he can be put on the same pedestal; Bonzo just quite simply was the best rock drummer who has ever played, and maybe Keith Moon warrants discussion in there for that title. Lars isn't in their class, and this comes from someone who is a HUGE fan of his; I think Lars might even agree with me.

Lars has a similar skill to Jimmy as a producer with such a keen ear for sounds, arrangements, and what just simply works and I think that's something Metallica has in common with Zeppelin.

Sadly both bands experienced similar loss of such a key part of their band that there's no way it could ever be the same. While Zeppelin did the right thing for them, I am glad that Metallica was able to go on and continue to do great things, but definitely the writing and sound changed from what Cliff Burton was about (Jason Newsted was great but he wasn't Cliff).

Another thing they have in common is that bar none they put on/did put on the best live shows ever. I was too young to catch Zeppelin and couldn't make it to the O2, but everything I've ever heard & seen convinces me that no one tops these two bands live. Seeing Metallica live for the 1st time changed my life completely, and all the times I've seen them in the past twenty years just reaffirmed it (they're playing better now than ever). Bruce Springsteen & U2 come close, but Led Zeppelin & Metallica completely rule here.

By the way, it's Kirk, not Kurt fyi.

:stereo:

Not sure I get why it's necessary to compare Zeppelin and Metallica in relation to the latter's induction into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame (or to compare them at all). It isn't part of the criteria for induction to be compared to Led Zeppelin (or any other artist for that matter), it has to do with influence. When it comes to that I'm not sure everyone understands why certain artists are even inducted, it's not a competition.

From the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame website:

Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Criteria include the influence and significance of the artists’ contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll.

I didn't realize being inducted into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame was some sort of competition with Led Zeppelin.

As for Metallica, I'm not even a fan but I don't have a problem at all with their induction. While they may not be the only pioneers of thrash/speed metal, they are among the most widely recognized. For that, they deserve kudos.

It isn't. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has inducted and will continue to induct artists from all genres of music. I haven't loved every artist that's inducted but I can be objective and see why they're in the HoF now. The only one I questioned somewhat was Madonna. I know culturally she was pretty influential and iconic but I don't know if I'd say that about her music.

Not sure I get why it's necessary to compare Zeppelin and Metallica in relation to the latter's induction into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame (or to compare them at all). It isn't part of the criteria for induction to be compared to Led Zeppelin (or any other artist for that matter), it has to do with influence. When it comes to that I'm not sure everyone understands why certain artists are even inducted, it's not a competition.

Hi Jahfin- fair point- it's not necessary to compare with regards to HOF induction or any other time, and it's definitely not a competition for who's the better band in the HOF. As parts of both bands are going to be around tomorrow night IMHO it is interesting to think about what things these two great bands have/had in common, partially because they're my two favorites.

From the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame website:

Criteria include the influence and significance of the artists’ contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll.

For this very reason, I don't understand why Deep Purple isn't in the RRHOF. I bet that there are thousands of people who started playing guitar just because they wanted to play "Smoke On The Water"!

Archived