2009 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Ceremony

THE FIRST LEDZEP

I am both a die-hard Led Zeppelin fan and a die-hard Metallica fan- they are my two favorite groups. As you can imagine, I am totally stoked for tomorrow night, especially for the all-inclusive jam!

I agree with a lot of what you say, although I would strongly disagree with you that Lars is in the same league as Bonzo. Lars is an excellent drummer who really learned and grew in his craft but I don't think he can be put on the same pedestal; Bonzo just quite simply was the best rock drummer who has ever played, and maybe Keith Moon warrants discussion in there for that title. Lars isn't in their class, and this comes from someone who is a HUGE fan of his; I think Lars might even agree with me.

Lars has a similar skill to Jimmy as a producer with such a keen ear for sounds, arrangements, and what just simply works and I think that's something Metallica has in common with Zeppelin.

Sadly both bands experienced similar loss of such a key part of their band that there's no way it could ever be the same. While Zeppelin did the right thing for them, I am glad that Metallica was able to go on and continue to do great things, but definitely the writing and sound changed from what Cliff Burton was about (Jason Newsted was great but he wasn't Cliff).

Another thing they have in common is that bar none they put on/did put on the best live shows ever. I was too young to catch Zeppelin and couldn't make it to the O2, but everything I've ever heard & seen convinces me that no one tops these two bands live. Seeing Metallica live for the 1st time changed my life completely, and all the times I've seen them in the past twenty years just reaffirmed it (they're playing better now than ever). Bruce Springsteen & U2 come close, but Led Zeppelin & Metallica completely rule here.

By the way, it's Kirk, not Kurt fyi.

:stereo:

Yeah, I noticed the slip of the tongue calling Kirk "Kurt" but was too lazy to fix it. I was wondering if I was going to get called on the carpet for that. Thank you, by the way. :D

Just got tickets to go with my sons to Cincinnati to see Metallica on September 15 so I will get to experience them in person and be able to judge for myself, not just on the word of the boys.

But after watching all the Metallica specials on Fuse this past week I would have to agree with you that they are great in concert.

My opinion is still that Lars is up there with the great drummers. Just different in style than Bonzo and Keith Moon. And I would bet that he can play FASTER than the rest of them. I didn't say that he was better than Bonzo by the way. Bonzo is still the best, in my opinion.

I see it like this.... 100 years from now..... NO ONE will be talking about or listening to Metallica,

Did you just get to this planet?!?

I disagree...Metallica has already stood the test of time, is a household name, and they have a vast collection of music, fans of all ages, and they keep making new fans.

I personally prefer them from the Black album on, but many diehards appreciate their music before the Black album. To each his own.

Even if you don't like them, it is some serious kick-ass rock music with a creative force behind it with staying power.

Lars is amazing. Definitely one of the fastest I've seen.

The level of energy is just unbeleivable.

I have seen him live. He is one amazing drummer. He works harder than anyone in that band, including James.

If you get out your Metallica music and just concentrate on the drumming, maybe some of you will change your mind about him being in the same league as Bonzo.

It shouldn't be too hard to isolate the drums. I've always considered Metallica a "drummer's band".

I have seen him live. He is one amazing drummer. He works harder than anyone in that band, including James.

If you get out your Metallica music and just concentrate on the drumming, maybe some of you will change your mind about him being in the same league as Bonzo.

It shouldn't be too hard to isolate the drums. I've always considered Metallica a "drummer's band".

I've always felt that lead guitar was their most prominent aspect but bass and rhythm guitar are just as damn good usually. I love Lars and he's in my top five favorite drummers, but I think what Bonham did for drumming is 100x what Lars' will have done but that's a total guess.

• 2 weeks later...

It's easy to isolate the drums when you're a drummer, it's even easier to isolate the drums when they're tinny and played poorly (Lars Ulrich).

I considered Metallica more of a guitarists' band, cause if you're influenced by Lars, then good luck with that.

Metallica is pseudonymous with metal.

They revolutionized the genre.

Love them or hate them. Their influence is undeniable.

I don't care who you talk to, but if you mention metal, Metallica is the band that first comes to mind, even with people who hate metal music.

I hate artists like Michael Jackson and Madonna, but just because I hate their brand of music, doesn't change their influence on others in their field.

Listening taste is subjective. That is why there are so many genres.

Archived