The Midnight Special Thread

Dzldoc

I didn't see a thread for this anywhere so I was thinking about all of the various artists that appeared on this show back in the 70's and It made me realize how diverse the music really was during that era.

I mean there was something for everyone and everyone a hit.

This was one of my all time favorite performances and one of the most underated guitarist of his time IMO.

Bridge of Sighs B)

Even though I watched it back in the day I can't say there's any one performance that really ever stood out to me so it's not like picking out a very memorable performance from Saturday Night Live or anything. I also enjoyed watching ABC's In Concert and Don Kirshner's Rock Concert back then.

I didn't see a thread for this anywhere so I was thinking about all of the various artists that appeared on this show back in the 70's and It made me realize how diverse the music really was during that era.

This was one of my all time favorite performances and one of the most underated guitarist of his time IMO.

Bridge of Sighs B)

Very underrated guitarist - fantastic album too :D

Enjoyed Frampton Buckeye :) Thanks for posting it

:) Stood 6ft from Frampton at the Warehouse in New Orleans for the Frampton Comes Alive tour.

Gary Wright of Dream Weaver fame opened the show :)

Going back to what I had said about the versatility of music in the day, these guys opened for

Aerosmith and my buds and I were thinking damn they could have left them off of the bill. :rolleyes:

By the time they finished playing, the stadium was Rockin' and cheering for an encore much to our surprise and delight and they were twice as animated that night as on this video.

:o:banana::D

:) Stood 6ft from Frampton at the Warehouse in New Orleans for the Frampton Comes Alive tour.

Going back to what I had said about the versatility of music in the day, these guys opened for

Aerosmith and my buds and I were thinking damn they could have left them off of the bill. :rolleyes:

By the time they finished playing, the stadium was Rockin' and cheering for an encore much to our surprise and delight and they were twice as animated that night as on this video.

You are so right about the diversity of the music. There is a bar in Vancouver called No 5 Orange

that in later years became more famous for being a strip bar. Back in the 70's it was a hard rockin' music bar with a fantastic sound system but it had a reputation for being a bit of a rough place as well. The first time I heard KC and the Sunshine Band was in that bar. Once everybody figured out how to do ..The Bump... the whole dance floor was filled. All the anti disco dudes and dudettes were having a great time :D They couldn't get enough of it

:) We saw him (Peter Frampton) play a local club in 1989-90~ish and we were front row, right in front of him; he played great too! :D

Hi JimmyPageZoso56,

If you check my post, I did edit it and add the long version of Peter Frampton's Do You Feel Like I Do with the talk box solo. :)

And Dzldoc,

I like your taste in disco music. I was a big K.C. And The Sunshine Band fan in the day.

And you are so lucky to see Frampton "Comes Alive".

My brother saw him at Ohio State's Mershon Auditorium in 1976 and said that it was a fantastic show. He said that the audience was very generous in sharing their party materials with Peter. :lol:

And Ally,

I loved dancing "the bump".

And for Virginia,

Did Peter still have hair in 1989-90? :lol:

Some may refer to it as corporate rock but they definitely put on one helluva show.

And they had a whole lot of ladies drooling over SP back then and still to this day. :rolleyes:

And my sweethearts :D

Here's something a little harder to keep you guys awake ;)

Sin City

Bridge of Sighs B)

How's it going "Dzldoc" A.K.A. Charles my buddy? GREAT THREAD! I have very fond memories of seeing The Midnight Special. Some of the performances that comes to mind is:

Heart - Crazy On You

Ike & Tina Turner - Proud Mary

Roy Orbison - Oh, Pretty Woman

The Steve Miller Band - The Joker

Fleetwood Mac - Rhiannon

AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long

I remember so many performances, too many to list. ROCK ON!

:o:o:o Amazing to look at the list! I've sadly never seen the show but there's a boatload of artists I would have liked to have seen :D

Nine it used to be a ritual with us most weekends. It aired on Friday nights here and we would get the beer,wine,smoke ready and it was M.A.S.H. at 11:30 and then the Midnight Special.

What made it so great was that in New Orleans the action was just heating up after midnight so by the time we hit the clubs all the light weights were already drunk and that meant less competition for me and my bros :D the drinking age was 18 back then.

If there was ever a time I would revisit it would be 74-80 in a heart beat B)

Thanks for those links Rover :)

Nine it used to be a ritual with us most weekends. It aired on Friday nights here and we would get the beer,wine,smoke ready and it was M.A.S.H. at 11:30 and then the Midnight Special.

What made it so great was that in New Orleans the action was just heating up after midnight so by the time we hit the clubs all the light weights were already drunk and that meant less competition for me and my bros :D the drinking age was 18 back then.

If there was ever a time I would revisit it would be 74-80 in a heart beat B)

Thanks for those links Rover :)

Past my bedtime in those days sadly ;) Too bad they don't ever reair them on VH1 Classics rather than playing the same 5 movies over and over :rolleyes:

Archived