Denver 1968

Mr. Mountain Hop

Out of historical curiosity and hometown pride, does there exist any decent recordings of the first American show, Denver, CO 12/26/68?

Anyone here go to this concert?

Probably not...I never see anything for Denver...worth a try, though.

Supposed to be in the hands of tape hoarder but a big care must be taken with these statements. Maybe someday someone will liberate something from the deepest, foggy beginning...

Out of historical curiosity and hometown pride, does there exist any decent recordings of the first American show, Denver, CO 12/26/68?

Anyone here go to this concert?

Probably not...I never see anything for Denver...worth a try, though.

Hi Denver fan...Im a Denver fan too! :o

There is currently no tape in existence of this show. I have found a couple other Denver shows but the quality is terribel

Hi Denver fan...Im a Denver fan too! :o

There is currently no tape in existence of this show. I have found a couple other Denver shows but the quality is terribel

Nice to meet another Colorado LZ fan.

So, what, were most of there Denver concerts over the years ('70, '72 and '73) were not so great concerts? Or is it just the poor quality of recordings?

*sigh* Would that I had a time machine. I'd go back to one of these dates, but most likely their '68 Denver gig opening for Vanilla Fudge, and I'd die happy.

Do you remember Zep's first gig in America?

It was right in the heart of Denver, on the 26th of December, 1968. I remember pulling up to a theater and the marquee said, vanilla fudge, taj mahal and support. I thought, "Wow, here we are: Support!" [Laughs] That's a great name for a band, too -- especially if you're getting older.

- Robert Plant (Rolling Stone, May 5th 2005)

• 3 weeks later...
The marquee said, vanilla fudge, taj mahal and support. I thought, "Wow, here we are: Support!" That's a great name for a band, too.

Free Drinks is also a great band name if the band could get a club owner to put it on the marquee. A guaranteed crowd, likely a disgruntled one too. :)

• 4 years later...

I was born in Denver and lived in Co all my life so I'm very familiar with Denver shows (though never came across anything from here) but the band was enjoying Christmas when their manager called and said a band (can't remember who) cancelled their American tour with Vanilla Fudge and need someone to replace immediately so the band packed and left with less than a day notice! I think that's part of what they mean by everything just happened so fast! I heard the 72' show was over 4 hours long!!! Imagine waiting outside the theatre for that right now..

I was born in Denver and lived in Co all my life so I'm very familiar with Denver shows (though never came across anything from here) but the band was enjoying Christmas when their manager called and said a band (can't remember who) cancelled their American tour with Vanilla Fudge and need someone to replace immediately so the band packed and left with less than a day notice! I think that's part of what they mean by everything just happened so fast! I heard the 72' show was over 4 hours long!!! Imagine waiting outside the theatre for that right now..

I don't want to be this guy... I've been reading "When Giants Walked The Earth" (LZ Biography) and according to it Grant (LZ Manager) told them weeks prior that they had a tour in America that would start on Boxing Day, and informed them that was the day after Christmas in case they didn't know. Plant, Jones, and Bonzo wouldn't be able to spend Christmas with their wives, sadly. They were scheduled to leave December 23rd. And they did. Besides Jones, who went his own way, spent Christmas with his wife and some musician I can't recall in New Jersey, and met the rest of the band backstage before their first gig.

What about that 4 1/2 show they did in Boston? :P

Probably an urban legend..."When the legend becomes fact, print the legend."

There is no real evidence to support the infamous Boston Tea Party gig really was that long. The longest Zeppelin show we know of is 27/6/77 L.A., three hours and fourty seven minutes give or take.

Archived