Elvis Meets Led Zep...

PlanetPage

The Las Vegas Live Thread has produced further The King/Zep connections...Here are some stories via links...

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http...sa%3DG%26um%3D1

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/interview_...schilling.shtml

http://www.elvispresleymusic.com.au/pictur...974_may_11.html

Hal B. Wallis, producer of 8 Elvis films, dreamed of making a western starring John Wayne and Elvis. In 1973 he met with Led Zeppelin members Robert Plant and John Paul Jones in Los Angeles. An idol to the members of Led Zeppelin, Elvis wanted to meet "who was outselling him" at concerts (Zeppelin was in the midst of a record-breaking tour that year). A meeting was arranged with two of the four band members (Plant and Jones). Plant was so awestruck at meeting his idol in person that he could barely speak to him. Jones, nearly as awestruck as Plant, made small talk with the "King," and mentioned what a beautiful watch Elvis wore. Elvis, always the generous one, instantly traded his $5,000 gold and diamond watch for Jones' $10 Mickey Mouse watch. This broke the ice with all of them, and they became fast friends. Throughout the early '70s, members of Led Zeppelin even attended a few of Elvis' concerts, and were granted the privilege of sitting in the front row by the King himself.

http://elvispresley-music-memorabilia.com/TRIVIA.aspx

joe_esposito_led_zeppelin_shirt.jpg

According to the New York Post, in Me and a Guy Named Elvis, which hits stores next month, author Jerry Schilling, a key member of Presley's Memphis Mafia, recalls one night when John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin stopped by with a few friends to meet Elvis and found him decked out in pajamas.Elvis "stood, eyed John, and said, 'Let's swap pants,' while simultaneously, in expert [Monty] Python fashion, letting his pajama bottoms drop beneath his robe.

John burst out laughing. Nobody accepted Elvis' offer." Elvis loved to tweak performers who did his act. One night in Las Vegas, he passed a lounge where a burly singer was "overdoing the Elvis vibrato just a bit," the author says.

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/books/book...ed_elvis2.shtml

Hal B. Wallis, producer of 8 Elvis films, dreamed of making a western starring John Wayne and Elvis. In 1973 he met with Led Zeppelin members Robert Plant and John Paul Jones in Los Angeles. An idol to the members of Led Zeppelin, Elvis wanted to meet "who was outselling him" at concerts (Zeppelin was in the midst of a record-breaking tour that year). A meeting was arranged with two of the four band members (Plant and Jones). Plant was so awestruck at meeting his idol in person that he could barely speak to him.

That is so sweet.

This should prove to everyone that he has his redeeming qualities.

Redeemed from what? :blink:

Main Entry:re·deem

Pronunciation:\ri-ˈdēm\

Function:transitive verb

1 a: to buy back : repurchase b: to get or win back

2: to free from what distresses or harms: as a: to free from captivity by payment of ransom b: to extricate from or help to overcome something detrimental c: to release from blame or debt : clear d: to free from the consequences of sin

3: to change for the better : reform

4: repair, restore

5 a: to free from a lien by payment of an amount secured thereby b (1): to remove the obligation of by payment <the United States Treasury redeems savings bonds on demand> (2): to exchange for something of value <redeem trading stamps> c: to make good : fulfill

6 a: to atone for : expiate <redeem an error> b (1): to offset the bad effect of (2): to make worthwhile : retrieve

""(Elvis)Held the world indoor attendance record for a concert, which was at the Pontiac Silverdome in Detroit, on Dec' 31st '76. There were 62,500 in attendance, with another record for takings in a single show $850,000.""

I never knew that. Just 4 months later, Zeppelin broke it with 77,229 in the very same stadium.

""He was the #1 touring act in America for 1977; the year he died. This, despite the fact that he was well below par and only toured until July, is quite an achievement. ""

Is this true? Over Zeppelin? Mind you, Zep's tour was also cut short due to Karac Plant's death.

""He was the #1 touring act in America for 1977; the year he died. This, despite the fact that he was well below par and only toured until July, is quite an achievement. ""

Is this true? Over Zeppelin? Mind you, Zep's tour was also cut short due to Karac Plant's death.

I did not find that statement anywhere on the official website for Elvis Presley.

Led Zeppelin toured during April, May, June and July of 1977, in a total of 44 concerts.

ledzeppelin.com/timeline/1977

Elvis Presley toured during February, March, April, May, and June of 1977, in a total of 55 concerts.

elvis-in-concert.com

February 12-21, 1977

Elvis tours in concert.

March 3-13, 1977

Elvis and his friends enjoy a vacation in Hawaii.

March 23-30, 1977

Elvis tours in concert.

April 1-5, 1977

Elvis is hospitalized in Memphis and tour shows scheduled for March 31-April 3 are canceled.

April 21- May 31/June 1-2, 1977

Elvis tours in concert.

June 1977

The single "Way Down" is released and will peak at #18.

June 17-26, 1977

Elvis tours in concert. Shows on June 19, 20, and 21 are recorded by RCA for an upcoming live album and are videotaped for an upcoming CBS-TV television special. (Footage from the show on the 20th is not used in the special.) The special will be called Elvis in Concert. It will first air on October 3 after Elvis' death in August. The camera gives a shocking picture of Elvis' poor health in his final days, but his voice is strong.

June 26, 1977

A concert at Indianapolis, Indiana's Market Square Arena. This will turn out to be his very last concert performance.

June 27- August 15, 1977

Elvis relaxes in Memphis and prepares for the next leg of touring for 1977.

July 1977

The album "Moody Blue" will be released and after his death it will hit #3 selling more than two million copies.

August 16, 1977

Shortly after midnight Elvis returns to Graceland from a late-night visit to the dentist. Through the early morning of the 16th he takes care of last minute tour details and relaxes with family and staff. He is to fly to Portland, Maine that night and do a show there on the 17th, then continue the scheduled tour. He retires to his master suite at Graceland around 7:00 AM to rest for his evening flight. By late morning, Elvis Presley is dead of heart failure. It is announced by mid-afternoon. In a matter of hours the shock registers around the world.

August 18, 1977

Funeral

October 2, 1977

Gladys' and Elvis' bodies are moved to Graceland October 3, 1977

CBS special "Elvis In Concert" airs. The album is also released and peaks at #5 quickly selling 1.5 million copies.

elvis.com/elvisology/bio/elvis_1970_1977

""(Elvis)Held the world indoor attendance record for a concert, which was at the Pontiac Silverdome in Detroit, on Dec' 31st '76. There were 62,500 in attendance, with another record for takings in a single show $850,000.""

I never knew that. Just 4 months later, Zeppelin broke it with 77,229 in the very same stadium.

It was December 31 1975. On December 31 1976 Elvis was doing a New Years show in Pittsburgh.

The Las Vegas Live Thread has produced further The King/Zep connections...Here are some stories via links...

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http...sa%3DG%26um%3D1

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/interview_...schilling.shtml

http://www.elvispresleymusic.com.au/pictur...974_may_11.html

Hal B. Wallis, producer of 8 Elvis films, dreamed of making a western starring John Wayne and Elvis. In 1973 he met with Led Zeppelin members Robert Plant and John Paul Jones in Los Angeles. An idol to the members of Led Zeppelin, Elvis wanted to meet "who was outselling him" at concerts (Zeppelin was in the midst of a record-breaking tour that year). A meeting was arranged with two of the four band members (Plant and Jones). Plant was so awestruck at meeting his idol in person that he could barely speak to him. Jones, nearly as awestruck as Plant, made small talk with the "King," and mentioned what a beautiful watch Elvis wore. Elvis, always the generous one, instantly traded his $5,000 gold and diamond watch for Jones' $10 Mickey Mouse watch. This broke the ice with all of them, and they became fast friends. Throughout the early '70s, members of Led Zeppelin even attended a few of Elvis' concerts, and were granted the privilege of sitting in the front row by the King himself.

http://elvispresley-music-memorabilia.com/TRIVIA.aspx

joe_esposito_led_zeppelin_shirt.jpg

According to the New York Post, in Me and a Guy Named Elvis, which hits stores next month, author Jerry Schilling, a key member of Presley's Memphis Mafia, recalls one night when John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin stopped by with a few friends to meet Elvis and found him decked out in pajamas.Elvis "stood, eyed John, and said, 'Let's swap pants,' while simultaneously, in expert [Monty] Python fashion, letting his pajama bottoms drop beneath his robe.

John burst out laughing. Nobody accepted Elvis' offer." Elvis loved to tweak performers who did his act. One night in Las Vegas, he passed a lounge where a burly singer was "overdoing the Elvis vibrato just a bit," the author says.

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/books/book...ed_elvis2.shtml

How's it going "PlanetPage?" I have heard many different stories on the LED ZEPPELIN/ELVIS meeting although the meeting comprised mainly between Elvis, Richard Cole, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones. I also read that a fight almost transpired between Richard Cole and Elvis over using foul language but would calm down due to trading wrist watches. Perhaps the most famous meeting was actually between Elvis and President Richard M. Nixon. This meeting was so famous, that a movie was even made about it. Ha Ha! And as the saying goes, Hail Hail Rock n' Roll! ROCK ON!

How's it going "PlanetPage?" I have heard many different stories on the LED ZEPPELIN/ELVIS meeting although the meeting comprised mainly between Elvis, Richard Cole, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones. I also read that a fight almost transpired between Richard Cole and Elvis over using foul language but would calm down due to trading wrist watches. Perhaps the most famous meeting was actually between Elvis and President Richard M. Nixon. This meeting was so famous, that a movie was even made about it. Ha Ha! And as the saying goes, Hail Hail Rock n' Roll! ROCK ON!

ZFF, tks for the movie info....I will definitely check it out....I would love to see any photographs of The King meeting our KINGS.....anyway the hunt is on....so far I could only find Rodney Bingenheimer with Elvis in the Entourage thread....I have a feeling that there has to be photograph.... :D

Yes, thank you, Mangani, that statement has been repeated on many sites, but not on the official site, or at least I have not found it there yet.

Ok thanks. I'm guessing it might not be true then.

It was December 31 1975. On December 31 1976 Elvis was doing a New Years show in Pittsburgh.

Thanks spats. Looks like there are some errors floating around. Moral? I shouldn't believe everything I read.

Archived