The Eras of Studio Led Zeppelin

McSeven

In your mind when you group the albums/cd's together. What albums do you think are early mid and late Zep. Forget about the live albums and Coda.

Early Zep. LZ1/LZ2 They sound like they are in the same time frame. Rough and Sonic.

Mid Zep. LZ3/LZ4/HOTH/PG. All four Studios connect. It sounds like they are going through a Cosmic Creamy feeling.

Late Zep. Pressence/ITTOD Even though I can hear a real major change from P to ITTOD. It feels more down to earth, less Hammer of the Gods.

My Zep is basically the first 6 Studio albums. They are better than most music that I hear today. Their are no filler songs. I even like Hats off to Roy harper. Which to me is Zeps answear to Hendrix's Hey Joe.

My personal take on each of the Albums.

LZ1- a Wild and Groovy Plant. Key song. HMMT

LZ2- a Sonic Crack Comando unit. They really sound powerfull on this one. Key Track- The Lemon Song

LZ3- A Garden of Flowers/Vegetables and Fruits. Key Track Thats the way.

LZ4-Mystical and Nocternal vibe. Key Track-When the Levee breaks.

HOTH-A day at the Beach/Park over looking the Ocean. Key Track- No Quarter.

Physical Graffiti- A rollercoster ride of Sonic Magic. Key track-Custard Pie/IMTOD/Kashmir/10yrs gone/Black Country Woman.

You can group them in anyway you feel you view them.

In your mind when you group the albums/cd's together. What albums do you think are early mid and late Zep. Forget about the live albums and Coda.

Early Zep. LZ1/LZ2 They sound like they are in the same time frame. Rough and Sonic.

Mid Zep. LZ3/LZ4/HOTH/PG. All four Studios connect. It sounds like they are going through a Cosmic Creamy feeling.

Late Zep. Pressence/ITTOD Even though I can hear a real major change from P to ITTOD. It feels more down to earth, less Hammer of the Gods.

My Zep is basically the first 6 Studio albums. They are better than most music that I hear today. Their are no filler songs. I even like Hats off to Roy harper. Which to me is Zeps answear to Hendrix's Hey Joe.

My personal take on each of the Albums.

LZ1- a Wild and Groovy Plant. Key song. HMMT

LZ2- a Sonic Crack Comando unit. They really sound powerfull on this one. Key Track- The Lemon Song

LZ3- A Garden of Flowers/Vegetables and Fruits. Key Track Thats the way.

LZ4-Mystical and Nocternal vibe. Key Track-When the Levee breaks.

HOTH-A day at the Beach/Park over looking the Ocean. Key Track- No Quarter.

Physical Graffiti- A rollercoster ride of Sonic Magic. Key track-Custard Pie/IMTOD/Kashmir/10yrs gone/Black Country Woman.

You can group them in anyway you feel you view them.

IMO Achilles Last Stand is the actual definition of "Hammer of the Gods".

Sorry but "Cosmic creamy"??? :lol:

I can't leave the post-PG albums out as not relevant. Presence is like cold steel. A primal scream. Blistering in its intensity, yet resolved in its moment of reflection, Ten Years Gone. If Kasmir is the journey, Presence is the arrival. It's the most real album they ever made. It wasn't a creation, it was an outburst.

Sorry but "Cosmic creamy"??? :lol:

I just used that phrase as what poped into my head. Roberts vocals from 3 to PG sounded different. He seemed to have a very light airy sound to it. Not falsatto, just something different.

I'll think of another way of putting it. I just have to think on it for a bit.

Mc7

I just used that phrase as what poped into my head. Roberts vocals from 3 to PG sounded different. He seemed to have a very light airy sound to it. Not falsatto, just something different.

Mc7

He'd gone from a 20 year-old to a grown man. 100s of shows had taken a toll on his throat. He even had surgery on his vocal chords after the 1973 tour. So yeah, he had to work with it differently.

Anyway, I just thought "cosmic creamy" was funny.

Peace. :beer:

Mc7

As Ev said, for a variety of reasons his voice changed but IMO not in a bad way at all. I think he sounds fantastic on Presence, and that is one of their finest albums. It's in many ways, my favorite musically, PG nearly tied.

All the albums seem to compliment each other and IMO are a chronological history of the band in the studio.

LZ I was brash and new and announced the band's arrival - GTBT, D&C and so on

LZ II was about finding their feet and followed on from the first with Robert writing more lyrics, from WLL to TY.

LZ III was for some a departure, but for me it was a defining album that gave us IS and SIBLY and we learnt more about open tunings that were more avant garde rather than mainstream rock.

LZ IV say no more R&R, BD, STH, WTLB etc. Was there ever a better album based on such diverse content?

HOTH with TRS my favourite piece of lyrical music (not song), to the dark NQ.

PG To me a companion album to HOTH on many levels (the least being that the title song from the previous album appearing on it). The songs speak for themselves.

Presence with NBFBM etc proved they could anything.

ITTOD a much maligned album but still some gems to be found like ITE and a must have.

CODA is a snapshot of their history in one album mostly from 1970 to 1979 but it's all there in Poor Tom, W&T etc.

I know I'm biased but even if some of the albums are flawed, no one else can touch them when it comes to producing music that moves you as much as they can.

There was a prolonged period between HOTH and PG. During that time I can remember interviews with Robert where he stated that the band was returning to more of a hard rock base. This was in reponse to people who had not found HOTH up to their hard rockin' expectations. Tongue in cheek I'm sure but Presence definately lived up to the bill and surely must have lived up to the expectations of those fans

Archived