Long Beach '72 recordings--previously unknown?

PhxHorn

I was looking through an old issue of Proximity newsletter today, and read an interview with a bootlegger. Apparently he had a fragment of the Long Beach '72 show, they asked him about the existence of tapes of the entire show.

I couldn't help but chuckle to myself. With the release of HTWWW, I guess Jimmy answered that question about as well as anyone could hope for. So.....was the existence of that recording (and the LA show) a mystery until Jimmy released them?

I don't think this forum existed at the time of the release, though I remember the Tight But Loose site having a number of very interesting articles about it. It's a better live concert than I ever dreamed they'd have in the vaults, especially with the clams being edited out, etc. Did it pretty much answer everyone's prayers for a live album when it came out? I know it did for me.

As much as I like it, I'd have to say no it didn't. It's missing the audience and for me personally that would make for a much more interesting album. Still, it's a great performance

There were certainly rumours that the rest of the Long Beach show was out there as there are with alot of fragments but I don't ever remember reading anything about the LA show being in the vaults.

The biggest "what if" for HTWWW for me remains the lack of Thank You/Louie Louie, thats really the performance that turned the LA show from a typically good one for the era into a classic.

There were certainly rumours that the rest of the Long Beach show was out there as there are with alot of fragments but I don't ever remember reading anything about the LA show being in the vaults.

The biggest "what if" for HTWWW for me remains the lack of Thank You/Louie Louie, thats really the performance that turned the LA show from a typically good one for the era into a classic.

It's a real shame that they weren't included .

That pissed me off no end. As great as the show is in general, those were the absolute highlights. What the hell was Jimmy thinking? <_<

Considering he didnt include the Thank You from RAH on the DVD(although the tape was rumoured to have run out aswell) or MSG on the rereleased TSRTS CDs perhaps he isnt a fan of it? seems strange to me though as I'v always thought the live versions were some of his greatest solos.

Really though I do think the offical releases showed that there is a certain atmosphere you only get with an audience recording and that its the variety of shows rather than the handful of the very best that keeps alot of us listening. Part of the attraction for me has also always been how "alive" the band sounded, not only did playing at there limates lead to alot of interesting improvs but it also created a certain excitement that more "professional" performances often lack.

Well Thank you is on BBC sessions and Page/Plant played it in the nineties, so i don't think Jimmy dislikes it! Maybe at RAH the whole song wasn't recorded and perhaps the Madison square garden version wasn't good enough, but this is pure speculation, because i have no idea if that is true.

As far as HTWWW goes, it's an execellent album, the only thing that kind of dissapoints me are Robert's vocals. This is just before he started to have serious problem with voice cracking and it's obvious he was already singing with much less force and in a sort of squealing and non powerfull way, probably because his voice would crack, if he would try singing with full force. The biggest dispointment vocally is Since I've been loving you!!

It's weird that on TSRTS album his voice was stronger again, before it completely collapsed and he needed surgery.

Well Thank you is on BBC sessions and Page/Plant played it in the nineties, so i don't think Jimmy dislikes it! Maybe at RAH the whole song wasn't recorded and perhaps the Madison square garden version wasn't good enough, but this is pure speculation, because i have no idea if that is true.

As far as HTWWW goes, it's an execellent album, the only thing that kind of dissapoints me are Robert's vocals. This is just before he started to have serious problem with voice cracking and it's obvious he was already singing with much less force and in a sort of squealing and non powerfull way, probably because his voice would crack, if he would try singing with full force. The biggest dispointment vocally is Since I've been loving you!!

It's weird that on TSRTS album his voice was stronger again, before it completely collapsed and he needed surgery.

There was a better version of Since I've Been Loving You on the LA Forum night. Also, "Rock and Roll" was better on the LA Forum night too, but for some reason, Jimmy didn't pick those dates. Robert's voice was thinning out but he still had most of his notes.

On TSRTS, Robert is really forcing his voice and you can hear it. The raspiness and roughness in his voice is due to nodules in his throat. It may sound stronger but it has to do with the recording as well - TSRTS has a more vivid sound.

I've read all of the above posts.. All very interesting points.

In HTWWW, Plant's voice was just then losing its height and power but it was still there. The album still SO disappoints me!! I'm like Ok..Love the show, Bring It on Home was great, Disc 1 was decent but not much different from the official BBC release as far as song order! Great performance though. What would have made this album a must have would have been the INCLUSION of the remaining last few songs..the organ solo, Thank You/Louie Louie! That would have been a great finish. I wish I had never even listened to Burns like a Candle! And what about Weekend? Even my step-dad who got me into Zep was like "The album was pretty boring." If it had meant dishing out a lil' extra money for royalties, so be it. The pay off would have been so much more! Great show, but now thanks to the internet feel very cheated! Page needs to keep this in mind in the future..an official release is great and I can see editing/omitting certain songs based on quality..but LIVE Zep should never be abridged. The addition of Tangerine (such a short and wonderful song) would have been great also on the first disc. Wish I had never bought it and supported the album now that I know the so many omissions!

TSRTS is a great remastered album, Plant's voice was really losing it at this point. He had to contain and control it so much more than a year previously. The good thing is that he was able to find his style of singing instead of "showing off" by pushing his voice in the early years. The only gripe I have on this album is the shortened version of No Quarter. Never cared for a 10+ Moby Dick (unless you were there live!) and editing No Quarter was a big mistake. I think that's the best track on this album..much better than the studio version!

So as far as the '72 long beach recordings, they were known in bootleg form. Quality form, I don't think so. The robbers in the 80's seem to have missed this gem. The only problem I have with it is that Page edited the two shows for a great live release which is a plus but left out the audience and feel of the show! The songs Tangerine, Organ Solo, Thank You/Louie Louie were deeply missed to fans who have listened to the boots!

• 2 weeks later...

As Plants voice goes I'd say the difference is that in 72 he still had the range but had to cut back on the power to keep it while by 73 he'd lost some of the range but was signing more powerfully.

His voice had a few changes in the Zep era: Mainly three categories, early, middle, and end

68-early 70. This is evident in Zeppelin I, II, BBC. His vocals were more bluesy and high pitched. "I Gotta Move" is a classic pre-FM performance.

late 70-early 73 Vocals went all the way. This is his trademark that people remember him by and how he wins "best singer" time and time again. HTWWW captured this perfect right before his range died down. Studio albums: III, IV, Houses

late 73-80 Vocals become deeper but more controlled. Even more bluesy than the early years. Deeper and less "feminine" but just as good when it comes to the soul. Just my opinion. Live version of "Money" in '80 was just as good Zep as "I Gotta Move" in '69. IMO. Different, but good.

Love listening to his vocals on Train Kept a Rolling in '68-69 and in '80. Both very good!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone think we will ever see the full SBD of 27th June LA concert? The SBD 3 SBD tracks we have are great and after recently listening to the 25th June show (i wish that too was a SBD just for the Heartbreak Hotel but in WLL) it would be the best boot imo...

• 4 weeks later...

i completely dissagree with a few posts on here. 1972 imho was the hight of the band for me live. roberts voice was at its very peak right before the vocal surgery and the flu and all the other b.s. with his voice. no other versions of immigrant song, song remains the same, dancing days, and especially over the hills and far away match up to the ones in 1972. the very peak of the band imo in terms of the way they sounded.

Archived